sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2019 5:16 pm  #1

The Year In SOWNY 2019

Happy New Year and welcome to our annual look back at the stories and topics you posted about in the year just passed. I couldn’t include everything in this list, so feel free to note anything you think I missed. In some cases, these were the big stories of 2019. In others, as in the case of the CKNT thread, just the ones that turned out to be far more popular than anyone could have expected. Click on the title to see the original topic. 

Thanks for all your contributions for the past 365 days. And for keeping all SOWNY members “posted.”   

January

Jan. 14: Letter Rip!

CIAO Brampton becomes CHLO, sparking controversy and more than 8,000 page views on the board about the change – and whether it really happened. In the end, it did.

Jan. 25: The Battle For Jazz FM Begins

It would become a hot topic for a good part of the year, as disgruntled members and listeners of JAZZ FM began a battle for the hearts, minds – and purse strings – of the station. Among the first casualties – veteran broadcaster Terry McElligott, who got out before things got worse.

Jan. 18: Mike Bullard Disappears From The Airwaves

Much speculation on the board, as Mike Bullard, doing afternoons on CKNT Sauga 960, suddenly disappears. Turns out he’s in hospital, apparently suffering from a bleeding ulcer. He never returns to the show.

Jan. 25: Happy Landings

After 45 years on the air and in the air, longtime Rogers traffic expert Darryl Dahmer retires.

February

Feb. 1: Talking Change I

Word surfaces that Mike Wilner is being promoted to full time Blue Jays play-by-play man, shifting Scott MacArthur to Jays Talk. He will not remain there very long.

Feb. 6: The Saga Of Sauga 960

Not really one of the stories of the year, but included here because for some reason, it was the most popular thread in all of 2019, with some seven pages of replies and nearly 62,000 page views. CKNT could only wish it had that many listeners on a daily basis!

Feb. 8: Corus Cuts Deep

A round of layoffs at Global and Corus strikes GNR640, claiming mid-morning host Matt Gurney. He lands on his feet – and back at his old employer – as a columnist for the National Post.

Feb. 11: What’s In A Name?

The Move 95.3 becomes The Flow for a second time, although the songs remain the same.

Feb. 27: Talking Change II

GNR 640 unveils a major revamp to its schedule, putting TV anchor Alan Carter on the noon shift, and adding morning show host Jeff McArthur to early afternoons. Kelly Cutrara gets the old Stafford shift in mid-mornings, while John Oakley starts an hour earlier at 3 PM. The new line-up officially starts March 4th.

March

March 6: Disturbing Diagnosis

Jeopardy host Alex Trebek stuns fans with his revelation that he’s fighting pancreatic cancer, one of the most deadly forms of the disease. Despite sometimes grueling treatment, he remains on the hit game show. 

March 18: Moore To The Story

It started with an innocent question: why was CFRB Nightside host Barb DiGiulio co-hosting the station’s morning show with John Moore? The answer would surface after a prolonged absence for the veteran early riser, facing long hours and a serious family illness.

He would return weeks later, confessing to having suffered burn out and thanking management for giving him the time off he needed to recuperate. 

March 18: News On The News

Word surfaces that the federal Liberals plan to help the ailing newspaper industry by supplying millions of dollars in funding. The plan creates immediate controversy over whether the government will have a say in future coverage of political stories.   

April

April 5: Game Over

After an amazing 50-year career, veteran hockey play-by-play broadcaster Bob Cole calls it quits.

April 22: RB Reporter Gets “P.M.” Exposure On Fox

CFRB news reporter Lucas Meyer reveals he did the voice of Justin Trudeau on that week’s upcoming Simpsons episode, garnering him interviews on a host of other radio and TV stations.   

April 23: Baby, I’m Going Away

GNR640’s morning co-host, Supriya Dwivedi disappears from the station for the next year on maternity leave, forcing Mike Stafford to do some of the show solo. Tina Trigiani eventually turns up to helps him out midway through the program. 

April 30: Gone Too Soon

Fitzroy Gordon, the owner of G98.7, passes away, leaving the station with questions about who owns which assets and problems with Can Con.

May 

May 6: Mellot’s Milestone

Larry Mellot celebrates 30 year at the same station – CJOY in Guelph, where’s been morning man, P.D. and the voice of the local hockey team. In late June, he remains as play-by-play man, but gives up his other duties.

May 23: Same Old, Same Old

To the surprise of few, the CRTC chooses Rogers’ existing OMNI service as its national ethnic broadcaster of choice, starting in 2020. Competition for the nationwide must carry service was fierce.

June

June 1: Dragged Down By An Anchor

Scott Pelley leaves as anchor of the CBS Evening News, a rare turnover of a network’s most prestigious position. Ratings weren’t good, although he’ll continue at 60 Minutes. His replacement, Buffalo native Jeff Glor, meets a similar swift fate just months later. The person who takes his place, Norah O’Donnell, doesn’t do much to help the anemic numbers.

June 14: Higher & Higher

CIND, aka Indie 88.1, gets a power boost, from 2,100 to 4,800 watts and announces plans to introduce some HD stations.

June 20: McCown Not A “Fan” Of Retirement

Bob McCown stuns some of his longtime listeners by announcing he’ll be leaving The Fan at the end of the week. He’s been on Primetime Sports for 30 years although McCown confirms the choice wasn’t entirely his.

July   

July 11: A Gross Revelation

After decades as morning sports anchor at 680 News, Peter Gross is let go. In a candid interview with Toronto Mike, he later admits he was often late, gambled on the job and fell asleep, so it wasn’t entirely unexpected.

July 21: A New TV Trend – From Free To Fee?

Sci-fi fans are outraged after Seth MacFarlane’s popular space series “The Orville” moves from free TV – on Fox – to Hulu, a service not available in Canada. To some it signals a possible future trend, where popular shows will migrate from over-the-air television to pay stations once they become hits. City TV, which has the rights in Canada, says it will continue to air it free here when it returns in 2020. 

July 23: Changing The Channel(s)

One of the biggest and craziest changes to local over-the-air TV hits GTA antenna owners, as WUTV, WIVB, WNLO and CITS (aka YesTV) all get reassigned to new channels at the same time. Veteran Scott Fybush explains just how much planning it took to pull all of it off in a remarkable post that still has heads spinning.

July 24: Still On The “Mike”

After a Twitter post centering on “head scarves” at a hospital, there are rumours that GNR’s morning drive host Mike Stafford may have hurt his career. But after deleting the offending words and being taken off the air for about a week, Stafford returns, and little more is said about it.

July 24: Shifting His “Gays”

It shouldn’t have been a big issue, but for some, it was. Jays Talk host Scott MacArthur posts a video admitting he’s gay, noting how much his secret has been weighing on him. He takes some time off from his on air duties and is later named one of the co-hosts of the Fan morning show.

August

August 22: “Grapeline” Withers

“Grapeline,” a longtime radio feature starring Don Cherry and Ron McLean, disappears from the air after 36 years. It would not be the last time Cherry would sign off in 2019.

September

Sept. 6: The Morning After

Roger Christian, a familiar voice to Buffalo radio listeners and to some in the GTA, is let go from Star 102.5 after 43 years on air. Undaunted, he winds up soon after doing the same chores for all oldies WECK.

October

Oct. 24: Matt Moves To Mid-Morning

CBC Metro Morning host Matt Galloway surprises listeners with the news that he’s moving to “The Current” in the New Year, replacing the departed Anna Maria Tremonti. It’s a big deal since his Metro Morning is the #1 show in the market during AM drive. His final broadcast in December involves a thankful sign-off.

November 

Nov. 5: “Power” Play

In one of the weirder stories of the year, Corus sued Harvard Broadcasting in Edmonton over the use of the word “Power,” a long discarded branding name. To the surprise of many, a court rules in favour of Corus, forcing the new “Power” to change its name. It's now known as "Play 107."

Nov. 10: A Sour “Cherry”

Don Cherry’s goes on a rant about people who don’t wear poppies in advance of Remembrance Day, but his words are judged racist by many and it costs him his gig at CBC’s Coach’s Corner. After the CBSC received so many complaints, its site was briefly affected, Cherry resigns or is fired, depending on who you believe, ending a 38-year- staple. Soon after, he’s back – this time, with a podcast.

Nov. 12: Absence Explained

Weeks after National Post columnist Christie Blatchford disappears from CFRB’s morning and afternoon “Roundtable,” the station reveals she’s suffering from cancer and is getting treatment. They hope she’s back in the New Year.

Nov. 19: Hats Off To Larry

Fans are angry after Bell Media cuts Larry Fedoruk’s long running afternoon drive show on CKTB, switching mid-morning host Tom McConnell to the slot instead. He’d been at the station for 20 years.

December

Dec. 6: Anchor’s Away

To the surprise of viewers, CTV Toronto’s Ken Shaw reveals he’s leaving the anchor desk he’s occupied for almost six decades. His last newscast will be January 6th, 2020.

Dec. 9: An Upper For Downer

CP24 anchor Nathan Downer is unveiled as Ken Shaw’s replacement during the 6 PM CTV News.

Dec. 18: Streaming Or Steaming?

The federal government announces plans to force U.S. streaming services like Netflix or Amazon to more prominently feature Canadian content on its platforms. There may also be taxes applied to subscribers to help support the initiative.

Dec. 19: Canadian NFL Ad Fans Get Bowled Over

In a long awaited ruling, the Supreme Court decides the CRTC overstepped its bounds and cancels the right for cable and satellite to broadcast the U.S. feed of the Super Bowl so Canadian viewers can see the commercials.

Dec. 27: Imus In The Mourning

One of radio’s pioneer shock jocks dies at age 79.

Necorology of 2019

Dale Patterson has covered all of the major deaths in radio this year in this great post, but some also caught the attention of many on SOWNY. Here's when they were mentioned. 

Jan. 2: Darryl Dragon, the “Captain” of the Captain & Tennille,” 76.

Jan. 11: Mark Elliot, Former Top 40 jock and host of “People Helping People” on CFRB and other stations, 65.

Jan. 11: Brian Henderson, longtime sportscaster and host of CHUM-AM’s morning show, 73.

Jan. 14: Doug Cameron, worked for various stations across Ontario, including CHIC, CHAM and the Jewel 88.5, 74.

Jan. 25: Rick Richardson, one time owner of CHOK Sarnia and CJBK London, 83.

Jan. 30: Wayne Bjorgan, former news director at CKBB Barrie, 80.

Feb. 10: Mike Cleaver, a longtime GTA newscaster and broadcasting professor, as well as a frequent contributor to SOWNY and other Canadian radio boards. He was claimed after a lengthy battle with kidney disease. 72.

Feb. 11: Joe Schlesinger, longtime CBC Foreign Correspondent for both radio and TV, 90.

Feb. 21: Peter Tork, a member of the Monkees, 77.

March 12: Hal Blaine legendary drummer with “The Wrecking Crew,” played on more than 6,000 singles, many of them huge hits, 90.

March 15: Dude Walker (real name John Doughtery), former CHUM-AM jock in the 70s, succumbs to a stroke following heart surgery, 75.

May 21: Dave “Bookie” Bookman, former Edge 102.1 and Indie 88.1 personality, after suffering an aneurysm, 58.

May 22: Christine Crosby, former CFTO and Global anchor, from cancer 53.  

May 23: Gord Kidder, former radio sales expert at CKTB and later in Toronto, suffers cerebral hemorrhage while in Prague. A Go-Fund-Me page in April helps bring him home, but he never regains consciousness and dies a month later. 74

May 28: Sarika Sehgal, former news anchor at Toronto 1 as well as CBC and CTV’s cable channels, 42.

Aug. 29: Kerry Stratton, host on Classical FM and an orchestra conductor, succumbs to ALS, 66.

Sept. 13: Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, 75

Dec. 29: Neil Innes, legendary songwriter for Monty Python’s Beatles-satire “The Rutles”, 75

December 31, 2019 6:06 pm  #2

Re: The Year In SOWNY 2019

R.A. it has been a great year. Contributing to the board has been a big blessing. 

Last July 18th, (2018) I had a toe wound (I am diabetic)...the wound became infected and went into the bone.

I remember sitting in the doctor's office at NY General, thinking I need to make change.

Thankfully, I had a good job and medical leave benefits so I could heal. But, a few months in I found out that my position at work was not being renewed. My benefits continued thankfully. 

My toe wound healed, but by mid-October what seemed like a black dot opened into a new wound, this time I chose a different treatment plan known as the Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber and did that for 4 months daily along with wound care.

I had to wear a removable boot cast, but my foot was still tender.

In October 2018 I started the Keto program and have taken off over 45 pounds, my sugar levels are stable and in the healthy range now, my blood pressure is normal and I exercise every day on my exercise bike (I don't put pressure on the foot) and I do weights (upper body)...

Today, I am in a shoe, no more boot,  I no longer work full time but I am launching my business fully in 2020...my health is good thank God!

But being able to contribute to this board has taken my mind off of the stress and changes/challenges I went through. I feel optimistic, healthier and yes even sexier at my age...(smiling)...

So thank you R.A. for allowing me to post. I am also working on a new media project too for 2020 (a radio show)...so I will keep you all posted.

Happy New Year to all of you who comment, share, argue and yes even de-rail a post that is made and take into a direction to "I don't know where"...

Thank you for being a light in what was a challenging year, but if you want to change you must take action, right action to do so. I wish you all a good year and for you to remember that if you take the right actions, (be it diet, exercise, working your business, or your job with some vim and vigor) good things can happen!

Cheers!

Muffaraw Joe!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (December 31, 2019 6:07 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 31, 2019 6:31 pm  #3

Joe, you don't have to tell me how bad 2019 has been! I had a torn meniscus in my knee  (now recovered) and worse, I lost my mother. I won't be sorry to see this year in the rear view mirror!

I'm sure all of us wish you a continuous recovery and success in your new venture in 2020.I look forward to hearing about it. 

December 31, 2019 6:50 pm  #4

R.A. continued healing to you too man, thanks and yes may 2020 be much, much better!

Cheers and thank you!

God bless man!

December 31, 2019 7:00 pm  #5

Heave hi, heave hi ho
The best man in Ottawa was Mufferaw Joe
Mufferaw Joe

(sp?)  lol

Last edited by potentiometer (December 31, 2019 10:10 pm)

December 31, 2019 10:36 pm  #6

To RA, thanks for doing a great job and all the hard work that keeps sowny such a worthwhile place to spend some time every day. Here's hoping for a much better year in 2020 for you and family!

Muffaraw Joe. to good health, and a tip of the hat to you on your always interesting questions and posts. I am a little in the same boat as you, trying to get the weight down a bit, a few health issues and basically eating better and being more active. You live in a great town, I have some family that moved to Ottawa three years ago and they absolutely love the city. Very underrated place, always lots to do, and friendly people.

To Dale Patterson, thanks for all of the many things you do and contribute to every day. Always enjoy visiting Canada's Rock Radio Scrapbook and checking out the aircheck of the week, and all of the great vintage radio memorabilia. Listened to all of the 1050 CHUM number one songs about a month ago, fantastic!  So different and musically more interesting than Billboard's number one songs.  Good luck with the book and your great on line radio station with all of those forgotten songs and hits.

To everyone else who has suffered through my way too long posts and rants. I salute you for your patience with me and I have enjoyed being part of the discussion, and debate.   Even though I haven't been in radio or TV for quite a few years,  I wouldn't trade one moment of my time in the business. Loved it all!  In most cases we didn't do it for the money, but boy was it fun and every day was different, and for me it was always a real honour to be on the air and work with so many interesting, smart and unique people. 

Happy New Year!

Last edited by paterson1 (December 31, 2019 10:53 pm)

January 1, 2020 12:15 am  #7

paterson1 wrote:

To RA, thanks for doing a great job and all the hard work that keeps sowny such a worthwhile place to spend some time every day. Here's hoping for a much better year in 2020 for you and family!

Muffaraw Joe. to good health, and a tip of the hat to you on your always interesting questions and posts. I am a little in the same boat as you, trying to get the weight down a bit, a few health issues and basically eating better and being more active. You live in a great town, I have some family that moved to Ottawa three years ago and they absolutely love the city. Very underrated place, always lots to do, and friendly people.

To Dale Patterson, thanks for all of the many things you do and contribute to every day. Always enjoy visiting Canada's Rock Radio Scrapbook and checking out the aircheck of the week, and all of the great vintage radio memorabilia. Listened to all of the 1050 CHUM number one songs about a month ago, fantastic!  So different and musically more interesting than Billboard's number one songs.  Good luck with the book and your great on line radio station with all of those forgotten songs and hits.

To everyone else who has suffered through my way too long posts and rants. I salute you for your patience with me and I have enjoyed being part of the discussion, and debate.   Even though I haven't been in radio or TV for quite a few years,  I wouldn't trade one moment of my time in the business. Loved it all!  In most cases we didn't do it for the money, but boy was it fun and every day was different, and for me it was always a real honour to be on the air and work with so many interesting, smart and unique people. 

Happy New Year!

Wow! Thank you Mr. Paterson.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 1, 2020 1:42 am  #8

Thanks Mr. Paterson and Mr. Patterson and to Potentiometer, I live in Toronto now...but I love Mufferaw Joe, he's the mascot for the Ottawa Redblacks and oh ya this guy made him famous too!

Happy new year to all and Mr. Paterson, the Keto program works amazingly well, but do it with Dr. Angie Hong...I can  chat offline with you gladly!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (January 1, 2020 1:43 am)

January 4, 2020 2:15 pm  #9

Thanks for the history lesson on Muffaraw Joe, and of course great to see the video with Stompin 'Tom.  Read the wiki background on the Redblacks mascot, very interesting.  My relatives that live in Ottawa and love going to a few Redblacks games every year and of course the Senators. Sure hope they survive in Ottawa, it is a real fun time at a Sens game but as you know the owner is not popular at all in the city.

I was at a Senators game in November, and the Canadian Tire Centre had maybe 13,000 people attending, so lots of empty seats. I have never seen so many people in the crowd up dancing to the music  during the game like in Ottawa. Everyone there was having a great time and even though far from a sell out, the crowd was out to party.  Tickets are reasonably prices, so there were a lot of kids at the game too. Really liked the Senators store at the Canadian Tire Centre.

Never understood why so many in Ottawa think the arena is so far away. My brother lives near downtown and it took us about 20 minutes from his place travelling on the expressway to get to the arena.  People in Toronto would love to get to a Leaf game in 20 minutes. Or I should rephrase that, people in Toronto would love to go to a Leaf game!  

January 4, 2020 3:52 pm  #10

Paterson tickets can be had for $30 at a Sens game, they don't know what it is like to suffer as a Leaf Fan...lol...

Wishing you well and for a happy, healthy and abundant new year ahead too!

Cheers/Mufferawa

January 5, 2020 7:03 am  #11

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

tickets can be had for $30 at a Sens game, they don't know what it is like to suffer as a Leaf Fan

Who's suffering?