sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2019 10:05 pm  #2

Re: Don Imus dead at 79

R.I.P. Don Imus.  A radio legend.  The first of the shock jocks.  Rob Bartlett was my facourite character on his MSNBC TV morning show.

Last edited by John D (December 28, 2019 11:09 am)

December 28, 2019 6:55 pm  #3

He was the first on-air personality to use the term "In The Morning" as part of his I.D. For a while, it was copied by everyone in almost every market, including Toronto, which is where "Brady In The Morning" on CFTR came from. 

My friend used to work at WNBC around the time Imus was there. He sent me a few behind-the-scenes photos of Imus' workplace at the station, which I can only assume were taken when no one else was around. 

December 28, 2019 7:47 pm  #4

How popular was Imus in those early days? They actually released an LP of some of his most famous on air bits. It was called "1200 Hamburgers To Go," after this classic phone call to a local McDonalds. 

December 28, 2019 8:18 pm  #5

December 29, 2019 12:17 pm  #6

I'll be honest.  As a broadcaster, I always wanted to write Don and ask him if he would part with one of his Sennheiser Stethoscope earphones.  When Don heard they were going to stop making them, he bought up almost every pair.  Loved the fact you could wear a hat and still use your headphones under your chin.  As I said, Sennheiser  stopped making them a few years ago.  It was too bad.  Would have loved a pair!

December 29, 2019 1:15 pm  #7

While I'm at it, here are a few other non-Imus photos from one of the greatest radio stations that no longer exists, 66 WNBC. These were taken around 1988.

December 29, 2019 5:52 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

...from one of the greatest radio stations that no longer exists, 66 WNBC

WNNNNNNNNNBC

December 29, 2019 6:06 pm  #9

I loved it when they had old PAMS (WABC) jingles re-sung. Radio used to be such fun.

December 29, 2019 11:34 pm  #10

The Imus vrs Stern war is undoubtedly  still one of the best in broadcast history. 

December 30, 2019 6:52 am  #11

Irrelevant racist jerk dead. Film at 11.

December 30, 2019 8:30 am  #12

verger wrote:

Irrelevant racist jerk dead

don't be subtle, brent (and welcome back)

geo

December 30, 2019 9:25 am  #13

verger wrote:

Irrelevant racist jerk dead. Film at 11.

Now, now. He was an inspiration to lowest-tier bigots nationwide.

December 30, 2019 9:44 am  #14

I would take 1050 CHUM over WNBC anyday back in the 70's.  Hands down CHUM a much better station in my opinion.  WABC was ok.

Notice the studio photos of WNBC, looks like they had Canadian made Ward-Beck or McCurdy audio boards. Those two companies ruled radio and TV audio in the US back in the 70's and 80's. Both companies were based in Toronto.  WBS is still around but McCurdy left us a few years ago.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 30, 2019 9:52 am)

December 30, 2019 7:04 pm  #15

I wonder if the Nappy Ho's incident tarnished things at all for "the Don"...

Mind you if I recall correctly Don Ho from Hawaii 5-0 fame died that week of the Nappy Ho's faux pas. Don Ho had a long nap...for the rest of eternity...so essentially he was a Nappy Ho too...

I guess it is all about the context.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

December 30, 2019 8:58 pm  #16

WFAN has posted what it calls some "Classic Imus Moments" from his time on that station, including the infamous 9/11 coverage around the 11 minute mark.

"Classic Imus Moments"

December 30, 2019 9:15 pm  #17

geo wrote:

don't be subtle, brent (and welcome back)

geo

Thanks. It has been a while, hasn't it?

Kinda lost interest since, y'know, I left Ontario a couple years ago. If it is any consolation to any of you, Calgary radio is freaking horrible.