sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2019 10:23 am  #1

Bob Cole Ends 50 Year Hockey Broadcasting Career With Final Game

The veteran broadcaster's final game on Saturday seems only appropriate - the Leafs vs. the Canadiens. He's been doing it for an amazing 50 years, which I think puts him longer at his post than the legendary Foster Hewitt.

Half a century. That's quite a run in any business, but especially broadcasting. 

Cole humbled by attention to final 'Hockey Night in Canada' broadcast

April 5, 2019 4:09 pm  #2

Re: Bob Cole Ends 50 Year Hockey Broadcasting Career With Final Game

SO many nights spent listening to Bob.  I really enjoyed the games with him and Harry Neale.  Neale's sense of humour kept cracking Bob up all the time.  It's a well deserved retirement but I get the feeling Cole would do 50 more if they let him.

April 5, 2019 4:19 pm  #3

Agreed, Cole is a legend and a gentleman.  He and Neale were a great team (so was Bowen/Neale).  Bob has called nearly every important game i've ever watched.  Did i read somewhere that he is or is thinking about calling minor games in NL?

April 6, 2019 12:17 am  #4

A true legend.  He will be missed; but 50 years; or half a century of doing your job well is indeed a long time.  Not enough for us fans of Mr. Cole.

April 6, 2019 7:14 pm  #5

Bob Cole was, quite simply, one of the best. Ever.

April 6, 2019 7:29 pm  #6

classy HNIC tribute.  not over the top mushy.  i particularly liked McLean's personal story after about Bob's fondness for Signal Hill..

April 8, 2022 7:17 am  #7

In this update on what the 88-year-old Cole is up to now, he recalls dropping off his first audition tape to a legend - and was stunned by what happened next. 

"In 1956, on the way back from New York, the aspiring broadcaster took time to drop off an audition tape at Foster Hewitt's Toronto radio station.

To Cole's surprise, Hewitt listened to the tape right there and then.

Hewitt's advice, to save the big call for the big play, to use different voice levels and to feel the flow of the game, has served Cole well throughout his career."

Oh baby, Bob Cole gets lifetime achievement award from Canadian Academy