sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2019 10:51 pm  #1

Is This A TV Event You'll Be Watching?

I have to admit I get a little tired of all the remakes and restarts of old TV shows you see on broadcast television these days. It's like they can't think of anything new so they just regurgitate what worked before. (By the way, CBS just cancelled the Murphy Brown remake, so it's gone.) The other new flavour of the month is doing a live show, upping the challenge. 

Which brings us to something ABC is trying and it's either a travesty or so compelling you just have to watch.

Or both.

On May 22, the network will be airing a live special recreating one All In The Family and one of The Jeffersons classic scripts, with the help of original producer/creator Norman Lear.  It sounds alarming but the talent on board for this thing is very impressive: Woody Harrelson as Archie Bunker, Marisa Tomei as Edith, Jamie Foxx as George Jefferson, Wanda Sykes as Louise and more. 

As much as it pains me, I have to confess I will probably watch it, just out of curiosity. But really, these characters and the original actors who played them are so iconic, I have to wonder "what's the point?" 

And if it works, you just know there will be a lot more to come. Is anyone else going to be suckered into watching this or am I alone on this thing?

Star-Studded 'All in the Family,' 'The Jeffersons' Live Event Set at ABC 

May 12, 2019 6:53 am  #2

Re: Is This A TV Event You'll Be Watching?

If it will truly be "live" as promoted (not material created ahead of time & subjected to editing), the answer to your question in this household is DAMN RIGHT

May 12, 2019 9:03 am  #3

The BBC tried much the same thing in 2016 with very mixed reviews.  The episode of "Porridge" they did, worked, but the remake of "Are you being served" fell flat on its face.  It wasn't that the actors were bad, but they tried so hard to re-create the original you kind had to ask yourself, "why bother?" it's been done already.

Even earlier, Australian TV did two seasons of "Are you being served" starring "John Inman" from the original.  In several shows, they just redid the old scripts and it felt like it.

But back to this side of the pond...

I can't help but think, "why bother?".  I'm certainly hard-pressed to imagine them doing some of the scripts in today's politically correct environment.

Having Normal Lear be a part of this does lend some credibility to it.  I'll be watching.  Whether it will be a triumph or a train wreck will have to be seen.  

May 12, 2019 9:37 am  #4

Peter the K wrote:

I can't help but think, "why bother?".  I'm certainly hard-pressed to imagine them doing some of the scripts in today's politically correct environment.

Thank-you. I was wondering the same thing. Another thought that comes to mind is, when the original scripts were written, Archie Bunker's cigar could have easily been product placement. NOT today... 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 12, 2019 3:47 pm  #5

Archie Bunker did 11/9.

May 12, 2019 5:57 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I have to admit I get a little tired of all the remakes and restarts of old TV shows you see on broadcast television these days. It's like they can't think of anything new so they just regurgitate what worked before. (By the way, CBS just cancelled the Murphy Brown remake, so it's gone.) The other new flavour of the month is doing a live show, upping the challenge. 

Which brings us to something ABC is trying and it's either a travesty or so compelling you just have to watch.

Or both.

On May 22, the network will be airing a live special recreating one All In The Family and one of The Jeffersons classic scripts, with the help of original producer/creator Norman Lear.  It sounds alarming but the talent on board for this thing is very impressive: Woody Harrelson as Archie Bunker, Marisa Tomei as Edith, Jamie Foxx as George Jefferson, Wanda Sykes as Louise and more. 

As much as it pains me, I have to confess I will probably watch it, just out of curiosity. But really, these characters and the original actors who played them are so iconic, I have to wonder "what's the point?" 

And if it works, you just know there will be a lot more to come. Is anyone else going to be suckered into watching this or am I alone on this thing?

Star-Studded 'All in the Family,' 'The Jeffersons' Live Event Set at ABC 

The BBC did it in 2016 with a number of their old sitcoms as part of its celebration of 60 years of BBC TV. (eg restaging an episode of Are You Being Served? with an new cast). It wasn't terribly successful. 

May 13, 2019 1:07 am  #7

I may watch it live, but the world needs another bad attempt to refresh a long ago classic television show the way we need another Nickelback album.

The Murphy Brown reboot was mutton dressed as ham. I'm four episodes into the eleventh and final season of the X-FILES, released in 2018, which is a resurrection, and it's.. uneven is the polite word. I want to believe.. (it will get better)

Remakes don't have to disappoint. On YouTube I saw a really mind-blowing March 2019 mini film in the form of a mock movie trailer for a reimagining of 'The Fresh Prince of Bel Air' called 'Bel-Air' and it's a drama. And there's 'Sherlock' the British series about a modern day Holmes and Watson living in London, dealing with terrorism, the internet, etc. (If you haven't seen it yet, and like clever writing, and brilliant acting I highly recommend it.)

For this "All In the Family" show, it's an odd cast, and it'll be interesting to see the interpretation the director gives it. The Hollywood Reporter is no Pauline Kael but when the AITF live show is over, the reviews and analysis will be worth reading.

And I bet Trump manages an idiotic tweet about Archie Bunker after.

Last edited by betaylored (May 13, 2019 1:42 am)

May 13, 2019 8:59 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

...Marisa Tomei as Edith...

My head hurts just thinking about Marisa Tomei as Edith. LOL.

May 13, 2019 11:18 am  #9

Dial Twister wrote:

My head hurts just thinking about Marisa Tomei    

did you not enjoy My Cousin Vinny?

May 13, 2019 11:30 am  #10

I'm sure George Costanza will be watching!

May 13, 2019 11:36 am  #11

I'll be watching.  From what I've read it's an updated Archie in a Trump world.  It will interesting and knowing Norman Lear funny.  Worth the time.

May 13, 2019 1:20 pm  #12

Kilgore wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

My head hurts just thinking about Marisa Tomei    

did you not enjoy My Cousin Vinny?

Loved it. Love her. Still can't equate Marisa with Edith. 

May 16, 2019 8:20 pm  #13

I expect the hype to grow as the day nears. But unless things are updated - and the linked article doesn't seem to indicate that - how well will Vietnam War and Nixon jokes play to a modern audience? 

Who's Ready For A New Archie Bunker, Live On Your TV?

May 22, 2019 10:19 pm  #14

I watched both shows and I thought they were excellent. Jamie Foxx was perfect in the role of George Jefferson. Ditto for Wanda Sykes as Louis Jefferson. There was a funny moment when Foxx forgot a line in All in The Family, but made a nice recovery. I hope they do more of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEzJFaNOQHo

Last edited by Dale Patterson (May 22, 2019 10:22 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 23, 2019 1:25 am  #15

Agreed!  It was very well done.  I thought the lighting was a bit dim but otherwise it was great.

May 23, 2019 9:03 am  #16

My take is a bit different from the other posts here. While it was entertaining and most of the actors were great, I found the pace slow and I kept wondering, “Other than ratings on the last day of May sweeps, why are they doing this – especially live?” I couldn’t really come up with an answer.

There are just some things that can’t be improved upon. Carroll O’Connor WAS Archie Bunker. As Woody Harrelson proved on Wednesday, no one can replace him.

If you need more proof, consider this: during the original run of “All In The Family,” O’Connor got into a huge salary dispute with the producers and walked off the show. The writers scrambled by saying he was off at a lodge reunion out of town and over the next week or two, indicated he had mysteriously “disappeared,” setting the stage for potentially killing the character off.

When they finally resolved the dispute, it was revealed he’d gone on a bender and in a drunk tank the whole time, hence his absence. But I really doubt killing off the main character in that show would have allowed it to continue for long. But O'Connor was so identified with Archie that he literally could not be replaced. 

Fascinating also that they decided to bleep the N-word, even though it was mentioned far too often in the original scripts. Times really have changed, and thankfully in this case, for the better. 

In the end, there just wasn’t really a reason to do this. You don’t need anyone to repaint the Mona Lisa. It’s perfect just as it is.

Still, the reviews have been generally good. My favourite part was the mini-documentary that followed, especially how fast they had to work to insert some scenes from the live show that just aired. And with my own mother now 96 and fading into the awful fog of dementia, it was heartwarming to see Norman Lear at the same age, sharp as a tack. It’s nice to know that’s still possible.

If this ends up with huge numbers, you can bet there will be more. I just wonder what shows they might try next.

May 23, 2019 10:57 am  #17

I'd like to see them take on "Happy Days", for one. Get Ron Howard to direct it.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 23, 2019 6:40 pm  #18

How about The Dick van Dyke Show, if only because creator Carl Reiner is still alive and sharp in his 90s.

Whatever happens, you can be almost sure this will happen a second time. The ratings are out and the special gave ABC its highest sweeps-ending numbers in 12 years, the third highest ranking comedy of the entire season. Of course they're going to do it again. The only question is which shows they'll pick.

Live Sitcoms Lead ABC to a 12-Year Audience High   

May 24, 2019 10:46 am  #19

In case you missed this the first time around and are curious, ABC is repeating the entire 90 minute special this Saturday (May 25th) at 8 PM. 

June 26, 2019 10:00 pm  #20

I didn't think I'd ever be resurrecting this thread, but there's a great interview with All In The Family creator Norman Lear, now 96 and still as sharp as ever. There's a lot here about the creation of the classic show and his influences, but one question surfaces that's very intriguing: Would Archie Bunker have supported Donald Trump for president?

Here's Lear's answer:

"You know, I don't know if he would be a Trump guy," Lear says. "I haven't thought hard enough about it. But he certainly wouldn't be a Trump denier. He would find a lot of good things about the way the country is." He adds, "But, as I said earlier, Archie was not a hater. I think there's a little hate in the belly of our president currently. Archie was not that. He was fearful. Ninety percent of his reaction was the fear of what change brings." 

Norman Lear reflects on a changing TV career - and Archie Bunker

August 5, 2019 1:36 pm  #21

As predicted, there will be more. Although just what show(s) is/are still unconfirmed.

ABC Sets Holiday-Themed ‘Live in Front of a Studio Audience’ With Norman Lear

December 18, 2019 11:49 am  #22

They're doing this live sitcom recreation again on Wednesday night, with the same cast as last time doing "All In The Family" and a new re-do of another Norman Lear classic, "Good Times." This incarnation stars Andre Braugher and Viola Davis as the two parents, and others in the classic roles, based on old scripts from both series. They haven't announced which episodes they will be, but I'm betting both are Christmas-themed.

I'm not surprised they're doing this again, but what is kind of stunning is that they're doing it on Dec. 18th - a date that's not exactly a major ratings period. It's also on against two "big" events on other networks, the finale of Survivor on CBS and The Masked Singer on Fox. It will be interesting to see who which one the audience chooses, although I suspect there will be a lot of DVR-ing going on. 

December 18, 2019 11:59 am  #23

I hear The Consultant is playing Archie.

December 18, 2019 12:37 pm  #24

If this does well in the ratings, there will be more. But how long can Norman Lear hang on? He's now 97, seems as sharp as ever and will appear on the broadcast. Amazing.  

December 18, 2019 12:58 pm  #25

Maybe he thinks he's on the US Supreme Court?

December 18, 2019 8:49 pm  #26

Looks like this could be delayed by the impeachment hearings. And that means everyone gathered for it will have to stick around - it's live! Talk about bad timing in scheduling!

If you're recording this, I suggest extending the time on your DVR so you get the whole thing. 

December 18, 2019 9:04 pm  #27

Wow, what a bizarre turn of events. ABC is cutting out of the impeachment hearing to go to its highly hyped live event - but promises to cut back to Washington when the actual historic vote is held.

That means an actor could be in the middle of a sentence, get cut off, then have to come back and resume where they left off - one of the hazards of a live show. 

Just as interesting will be to see in any of them make any comments about it. That's a bonus of a live show. 

All in all an interesting night for TV.

December 19, 2019 12:55 am  #28

It says something about a TV show when your favorite parts were the ABC promos that were designed to look like they came from the 70s. That was by far the highlight for me.

Then there was the part after Good Times when they introduced three members of the original cast, and Bern Nadette Stanis seemed to deliberately slam the door in Jimmie Walker's face. No good times there!

I kind of felt bad for John Amos, who appeared to forget either his cues or his lines too many times. Sad what the years can do.

The interruptions for Trump updates were certainly ironic, given the All In The Family episode subject matter and it made the show run about five minutes late - although Variety reports they had to drop some of the Good Times script just to keep it from running even longer.

All in all, the originals, as they so often are, were a lot better. But the retro promos were great and if you sped through them on your DVR, you missed the most entertaining part of the show, especially the announcer doing his best Ernie Anderson impression.

December 19, 2019 2:14 pm  #29

RA: I also enjoyed the throwback ABC promos. Did you notice the faint rolling lines on the screen? Rolling lines, for me, meant E-Skip was not far away.

December 19, 2019 2:31 pm  #30

Even the various ABC logos and the fonts used in the text were classic 70s. I could have watched just half an hour of those alone! 

(And in case some here don't know who the Ernie Anderson mentioned in one of my posts above is, he was a Cleveland radio and TV veteran with a great set of pipes, who for a while became the voice of ABC. He was probably best known for saying an exaggerated "The Love Boat!" in all the promos for that show.)