sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2024 2:01 pm  #121

Re: Bell Media Cuts 4,800 Jobs, Selling 45 Stations

RadioActive wrote:

Among those getting cut are a few well known names. From The Daily Hive:

"CTV National’s Alberta bureau chief Bill Fortier, Montreal reporter Vanessa Lee, and Winnipeg bureau chief Jill Macyshon have all been axed, per the sources."

How ironic then, that Fortier plays a part in this weekend's soon-to-be-defunct W5 report about companies that provide rip-off service. 

February 9, 2024 3:19 pm  #122

This just in...
"Rogers can't f*cking believe they're the less evil telecom giant"
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/02/rogers-cant-fucking-believe-theyre-the-less-evil-telecom-giant/

February 9, 2024 3:38 pm  #123

Galen Weston must also be happy his name has dropped down, if not below the fold to an inside page for a change

February 9, 2024 4:05 pm  #124

RadioActive wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Among those getting cut are a few well known names. From The Daily Hive:

"CTV National’s Alberta bureau chief Bill Fortier, Montreal reporter Vanessa Lee, and Winnipeg bureau chief Jill Macyshon have all been axed, per the sources."

How ironic then, that Fortier plays a part in this weekend's soon-to-be-defunct W5 report about companies that provide rip-off service. 

He and his family also just had a new baby. He may have been on parental leave this week. Terrible timing. 

https://twitter.com/BillFortierTV/status/1748483853096734940

February 9, 2024 5:14 pm  #125

Another apparent victim of the cuts. Nice to see how much Bell appreciated the quarter of a century he gave them. Hope it's a huge severance!

SportsCentre host Cory Woron off the air after 24 years at TSN

February 9, 2024 6:06 pm  #126

Tomas Barlow wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Shame about W5, a well produced show that had decent ratings considering a poor time slot.  In fact I thought W5 was the best it had been over the past few yeas.

With all of these newscasts cancelled on CTV, shrinking news operations nationally, scaled back CTV News Channel makes the CBC more valuable.  Maybe the "defunding" nonsense will be put on hold for a while or laid to rest.  CBC may end up receiving more money from the feds or realocate dollars to fund some local newscasts. 

Bell seems to be having a temper tantrum because the CRTC doesn't appear to be giving them everything they want.

Odd too how Bell Media is getting all of the press about the layoffs, even though it is other divisions of BCE that are really taking the hit and losing the big number of jobs, possibly over 4,000.  

The people who want the CBC defunded will now claim that the CBC is taking a bigger percentage of the pie than ever before and needs to be defunded immediately.
Look for another hit piece in the National Post any day now.

Ah, The National Putz....a Canadian newspaper whose owner is itself majority owned by an AMERICAN hedge fund that's tied in to the Republican party here in the States. (BTW, H/T to Frank Magazine for the NP's descriptor.)

February 9, 2024 6:07 pm  #127

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

This just in...
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/02/rogers-cant-fucking-believe-theyre-the-less-evil-telecom-giant/

I'm just waiting for Frank Magazine to get its hands on this story and basically make Bell their personal punching bag.

February 9, 2024 7:23 pm  #128

The Hamilton Spectator spoke with Whiteoaks about buying CKLH and the Niagara stations. They say no format changes or staffing changes will happen after the deal is done. Bounce and Move will get new names since they belong to Bell. HTZ-FM and 610 CKTB to remain as is.

https://www.thespec.com/news/bell-media-cuts-mean-ownership-change-looms-at-hamiltons-bounce-102-9-the-old-k/article_8bbf8eff-159c-5fd1-b313-5a7c1334a77e.html

February 9, 2024 8:11 pm  #129

Brad wrote:

The Hamilton Spectator spoke with Whiteoaks about buying CKLH and the Niagara stations. They say no format changes or staffing changes will happen after the deal is done. Bounce and Move will get new names since they belong to Bell. HTZ-FM and 610 CKTB to remain as is.

https://www.thespec.com/news/bell-media-cuts-mean-ownership-change-looms-at-hamiltons-bounce-102-9-the-old-k/article_8bbf8eff-159c-5fd1-b313-5a7c1334a77e.html

I'm guessing they don't think it's worthwhile or economically feasible to lease the Bounce and Move brands from Bell, the way Stingray and Corus have done with the Boom brand?

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

February 9, 2024 9:44 pm  #130

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

This just in...

Too funny!

February 10, 2024 8:46 am  #131

I found it interesting that, of all the radio stations being sold off, only one was CHR. So they are continuing to operate the rest (eleven, I think) CHR stations. When I first heard of the number of stations being sold, my first thought was probably all the CHRs except for the major market ones (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver). I am surprised at CKLH and CHTZ as both are well established and have sizeable audiences and listener shares. 

February 10, 2024 10:38 am  #132

Storm wrote:

I found it interesting that, of all the radio stations being sold off, only one was CHR. So they are continuing to operate the rest (eleven, I think) CHR stations. When I first heard of the number of stations being sold, my first thought was probably all the CHRs except for the major market ones (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver). I am surprised at CKLH and CHTZ as both are well established and have sizeable audiences and listener shares. 

The CHRs are mostly in the profitable larger markets. Neither format nor ratings would have been a consideration when choosing what to sell.

February 10, 2024 10:45 am  #133

RadioAaron wrote:

Storm wrote:

The CHRs are mostly in the profitable larger markets. Neither format nor ratings would have been a consideration when choosing what to sell.

Regardless, I believe that was you RadioAaron that called it first? Suggesting that Bell would most likely sell
Hamilton's 102.9 FM? Congrats! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 10, 2024 11:11 am  #134

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Storm wrote:

Regardless, I believe that was you RadioAaron that called it first? Suggesting that Bell would most likely sell
Hamilton's 102.9 FM? Congrats! 

Even with solid ratings, being a stand-alone in a bad advertising market is a tough position.

I thought Durham would have been the buyer as 102.9 would have been a perfect fit for them, but it was packaged with 105.7/97.7/610, so we got a surprise buyer instead.

February 10, 2024 3:51 pm  #136

It is worth noting as well that CBS got out of the radio business six years ago in the US, selling their 185 stations to Entercom (now Audacy).  This has not worked out well for Audacy which is now in chapter 11 bankruptcy.  They took on too many stations at once when the radio market was starting to soften, all of this prior to COVID.

Audacy paid $2.4 billion for CBS radio and last month when they filed for bankruptcy they listed $2.66 billion in total debt.  With chapter 11 they will be able to slash $1.6 billion of the debt.  Bell Media, Corus Entertainment, and Rogers Media are all profitable. However both Bell and Rogers have high debt loads from their other divisions. 

Bell selling these 45 so called under performing radio outlets to six different and smaller companies is a much safer bet.  And all of them are familiar running smaller stations which again is a plus.  All six made their companies successful in smaller/medium markets. 

If  Bell decides to sell their larger and healthy medium sized stations in the future, let's hope that Pattison,  Cogeco and a few smaller/regional players buy these stations. 

In time, alll of this could be the best thing to happen with radio in Canada for years. Let those more familiar with broadcasting run these stations, and not a mega conglomerate like BCE, where radio has only been a minor sideline since day one.  

February 10, 2024 4:58 pm  #137

paterson1 wrote:

It is worth noting as well that CBS got out of the radio business six years ago in the US, selling their 185 stations to Entercom (now Audacy).  This has not worked out well for Audacy which is now in chapter 11 bankruptcy.  They took on too many stations at once when the radio market was starting to soften, all of this prior to COVID.

Audacy paid $2.4 billion for CBS radio and last month when they filed for bankruptcy they listed $2.66 billion in total debt.  With chapter 11 they will be able to slash $1.6 billion of the debt.  Bell Media, Corus Entertainment, and Rogers Media are all profitable. However both Bell and Rogers have high debt loads from their other divisions. 

Bell selling these 45 so called under performing radio outlets to six different and smaller companies is a much safer bet.  And all of them are familiar running smaller stations which again is a plus.  All six made their companies successful in smaller/medium markets. 

If  Bell decides to sell their larger and healthy medium sized stations in the future, let's hope that Pattison,  Cogeco and a few smaller/regional players buy these stations. 

In time, alll of this could be the best thing to happen with radio in Canada for years. Let those more familiar with broadcasting run these stations, and not a mega conglomerate like BCE, where radio has only been a minor sideline since day one.  

I have heard rumblings that bell will be selling more stations. Plus I heard Corus and Stingray will also be selling stations. So I am sure a lot will change in the next year or so

February 10, 2024 5:28 pm  #138

paterson1 wrote:

Pattison in an investment firm, not a broadcaster. They won't be making any major investments in a declining sector. Cogeco is a publicly traded company; they'd be under the same cost-containment pressures as Bell, Rogers, or Corus,

February 10, 2024 5:34 pm  #139

paterson1 wrote:

I'm curious what you think of JON POLE's answers in the other thread about playlist size and jock break frequency. 

JON POLE may have some innovative ideas around sales, and it will be great that his reps won't treat radio as just another commodity with CP24 and Billboards, but let's not pretend that there will be significantly different sounding programming from Bell.

February 10, 2024 5:42 pm  #140

RadioActive wrote:

Another apparent victim of the cuts. Nice to see how much Bell appreciated the quarter of a century he gave them. Hope it's a huge severance!

SportsCentre host Cory Woron off the air after 24 years at TSN

I watched him deliver a SportsCentre update once years ago.  The copy in the prompter had two sentences that ended the same way, with one short sentence in between them.  He must have looked far enough ahead while reading to see the second part coming, so he ad-libbed the first sentence to remove the redundancy and read through the second sentence as smooth as butter.  You would never known because there wasn't even the slightest hesitation.  I was a small thing, but I have worked with many people who couldn't have done that on the fly.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (February 10, 2024 5:43 pm)

February 10, 2024 7:24 pm  #141

brian451 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I have heard rumblings that bell will be selling more stations. Plus I heard Corus and Stingray will also be selling stations. So I am sure a lot will change in the next year or so

I don't expect Bell to keep their Windsor stations for very much longer. I can also see Corus selling CKDK Woodstock which is Country 104 right now. A regional company like Blackburn might go after that one.

February 10, 2024 7:30 pm  #142

Marc1178 wrote:

I can also see Corus selling CKDK Woodstock which is Country 104 right now. A regional company like Blackburn might go after that one.

You never sell one station from a cluster to another commercial operator unless it's a first step to exiting a market completely.

February 10, 2024 8:28 pm  #143

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Pattison in an investment firm, not a broadcaster. They won't be making any major investments in a declining sector. Cogeco is a publicly traded company; they'd be under the same cost-containment pressures as Bell, Rogers, or Corus,

Sure they are a broadcaster and have been since 1965.  50 radio stations (latest purchased 5 months ago), 3 TV stations, with Pattison Media also owning Pattison Outdoor Advertising one of Canada's largest outdoor advertising companies.  Enables them to cross promote their radio and TV stations with outdoor advertising.  Rogers has been in broadcasting since 1962 and many would argue that their radio outlets are better run than Bell. Cogeco is on the TSX but actually controlled by the Audet family, so nothing like the situation with Bell.  The family owns most of the voting shares in company. 

February 10, 2024 8:39 pm  #144

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I'm curious what you think of JON POLE's answers in the other thread about playlist size and jock break frequency. 

JON POLE may have some innovative ideas around sales, and it will be great that his reps won't treat radio as just another commodity with CP24 and Billboards, but let's not pretend that there will be significantly different sounding programming from Bell.

I thought it was fantastic that Jon took some questions and answered back.  I give him and his organization credit for being a growing, successful and independent broadcast company.  Can't say I have listened to MY radio much since we don't have any in the area I live.  I did hear their station in Strathroy on a Saturday afternoon a few years ago.  Live announcer and the station had  live reports from downtown merchants and lots of local ads, great sounding small town radio station.  This alone made them sound different from Bell.

If he gets the Bell stations in Kingston will they sound much different than they are now?  Unless there is a format change likely similar, but it will solve the problem with the station on the NY border with their lack of advertising. 

Last edited by paterson1 (February 10, 2024 8:42 pm)

February 10, 2024 8:45 pm  #145

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I thought it was fantastic that Jon took some questions and answered back.  I give him and his organization credit for being a growing, successful and independent broadcast company.  Can't say I have listened to MY radio much since we don't have any in the area I live.  I did hear their station in Strathroy on a Saturday afternoon a few years ago.  Live announcer and the station had  live reports from downtown merchants and lots of local ads, great sounding small town radio station.  This alone made them sound different from Bell.

If he gets the Bell stations in Kingston will they sound much different than they are now?  Unless there is a format change likely similar, but it will solve the problem with the station on the NY border with their lack of advertising. 

I didn't ask if you liked *that* he answered, I asked if you liked the *actual* answers.  Anyway, it was obviously rhetorical.

The future of radio when the phone company leaves and the "radio people" pick up the scraps sounds like MyFM, not CFNY or Energy 108.

February 10, 2024 8:47 pm  #146

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Sure they are a broadcaster and have been since 1965.  50 radio stations (latest purchased 5 months ago), 3 TV stations, with Pattison Media also owning Pattison Outdoor Advertising one of Canada's largest outdoor advertising companies.  Enables them to cross promote their radio and TV stations with outdoor advertising.  Rogers has been in broadcasting since 1962 and many would argue that their radio outlets are better run than Bell. Cogeco is on the TSX but actually controlled by the Audet family, so nothing like the situation with Bell.  The family owns most of the voting shares in company. 

Pattison is as much as broadcaster as Bell is. Radio's actually a smaller part of their portfolio than it is for Bell. Pattison's primary purpose is to buy existing businesses and increase their profits. Radio would be a terrible move for them.

February 10, 2024 8:51 pm  #147

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Pattison is as much as broadcaster as Bell is. Radio's actually a smaller part of their portfolio than it is for Bell. Pattison's primary purpose is to buy existing businesses and increase their profits. Radio would be a terrible move for them.

Then why did they just buy another radio station?

February 10, 2024 9:01 pm  #148

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Then why did they just buy another radio station?

That was the radio division spending their own money to improve a cluster's margins. Buying CHUM-FM would have to be approved just a little further up the chain of command.

February 10, 2024 9:24 pm  #149

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

I didn't ask if you liked *that* he answered, I asked if you liked the *actual* answers.  Anyway, it was obviously rhetorical.

The future of radio when the phone company leaves and the "radio people" pick up the scraps sounds like MyFM, not CFNY or Energy 108.

I didn't agree with 4 breaks per hour for voice tracking. I don't think that is adequte. In terms of the overmodulation of voice tracks, doesn't matter what station large or small it sounds bush league when the levels are off.  I was surprised you didn't chime in with some questions Aaron. 

Was that intended to be a slam about the "radio people"?  Doesn't Freq FM in Peterborough sound similar to CFNY?     

February 10, 2024 9:31 pm  #150

paterson1 wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I didn't agree with 4 breaks per hour for voice tracking. I don't think that is adequte. In terms of the overmodulation of voice tracks, doesn't matter what station large or small it sounds bush league when the levels are off.  I was surprised you didn't chime in with some questions Aaron. 

Was that intended to be a slam about the "radio people"?  Doesn't Freq FM in Peterborough sound similar to CFNY?     

You also disagree with his take on playlist size.

Yeah, FREQ sounds like current CFNY. That's not good. I used "CFNY" rather than their current name to point out it's not going to sound like the "good old days" of CFNY.