sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2024 10:39 pm  #91

Re: Bell Media Cuts 4,800 Jobs, Selling 45 Stations

And let's not forget we still don't know what's going to happen with CKOC and CHAM in Hamilton once new owner Neeti Ray gets his hands on them. This has to be the single most tumultuous period of change at one time ever in Canadian radio history and all because of an incompetent giant company who had no idea how to run a radio empire. 

And I might add, given its track record, should never have been allowed to in the first place. 

Should make for interesting times here on SOWNY as the changes take place. 

February 8, 2024 11:22 pm  #92

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioQuiz wrote:

They got the right idea with the format of The Lake, but the execution is awful, and the ratings reflect it.

I don't think you get it. Clearly they were waiting for FCC approval before investing heavily into Lake and obviously waiting for this deal. Common sense. Also ratings in Kingston are a rolling average so the last book didn't really mean anything relevant to changes.

Look at the chess game... now they have the #1 station with a flanker running guard with no can con... and whatever 98.9 is or will be... you should be impressed... it's a great radio play.

The long-game makes a ton of sense. 

But if they're going to wait for this deal to close to invest in it, that'll be almost two years with no live and local announcers, People may have made up their minds by then,

And the parts of the product that they can control now without much investment are terrible. Disaffected alt-rock sounding imaging voice, playlist lifted song-for-song from some US station that plays songs that were only really hits in Florida while ignoring huge Canadian hits, terrible AI weather, Facebook account posting nothing but memes.

And the fact that the ratings are a rolling average make the launch look even worse - with the KISS numbers falling out the ratings drop.

I was under the weather a few weeks back and listened to The Lake in Kingston for well over 90 minutes in the afternoon.  Music was fine, not what I like but very safe and nothing too exciting.  Too many mid tempo songs back to back to back, but that is me.  A fair bit mellower than CHFI, and would appeal to a mature female listener.  I was sure I heard  the announcer (who wasn't bad and VT) promoting a Blue Rodeo concert in one break.  Struck me as odd since The Lake doesn't play them. 

Listened from 3:50 in the afternoon until 5:30pm, so weekday drive time.  I counted a total of 5 commercials in two breaks.  Mind you 3 were national and two local.  Now this is late January which I know isn't exactly a strong time for ads, but this would be concerning. 

This evening tuned in again for an hour, no announcer or VT, just music and a total of two commercials, both local.  One was for a funeral home in Kingston and the other was for a Smoke Shop and Convenience store in a Mohawk First Nation community that was also sponsoring the weather, but no weather forecast came on.  Then back into the mid tempo music.  Hope the Lake does well, but it could be a very long game. 

February 8, 2024 11:54 pm  #93

What ads produce the most revenue for a station. Local or national?

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

February 8, 2024 11:55 pm  #94

A great stunt into a soft launch is the absolute worst way to introduce yourself to a market.

(Kiss-->Pole-->Lake)

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 9, 2024 12:00 am)

February 8, 2024 11:57 pm  #95

turkeytop wrote:

Scales by market size. Large market - National, Small market - Local.

February 9, 2024 1:52 am  #96

paterson1 wrote:

Shame about W5, a well produced show that had decent ratings considering a poor time slot.  In fact I thought W5 was the best it had been over the past few yeas.

With all of these newscasts cancelled on CTV, shrinking news operations nationally, scaled back CTV News Channel makes the CBC more valuable.  Maybe the "defunding" nonsense will be put on hold for a while or laid to rest.  CBC may end up receiving more money from the feds or realocate dollars to fund some local newscasts. 

Bell seems to be having a temper tantrum because the CRTC doesn't appear to be giving them everything they want.

Odd too how Bell Media is getting all of the press about the layoffs, even though it is other divisions of BCE that are really taking the hit and losing the big number of jobs, possibly over 4,000.  

The people who want the CBC defunded will now claim that the CBC is taking a bigger percentage of the pie than ever before and needs to be defunded immediately.
Look for another hit piece in the National Post any day now.

February 9, 2024 1:54 am  #97

turkeytop wrote:

Local in most small and medium markets by a long shot.

February 9, 2024 2:26 am  #98

Tomas Barlow wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

Local in most small and medium markets by a long shot.

I know some people with small businesses in Toronto that would like to advertise on the radio, but it's just too expensive. (or at least, that's what they say)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 9, 2024 8:15 am  #99

The folks who work (or do for the moment) at the White House of Talk in St. Catharines aren't saying much about what becomes of CKTB, CHRE and CHTZ once the new owners take over. 

As noted here, that newcomer is Whiteoaks Communications, whose two current stations (CJYE and CJMR) are all-religious and all-ethnic. Which is why there's worry about the current formats of all the outlets once the incoming boss takes over. 

Still, while those who at the stations are understandably reluctant to say much, one former long time employee hopes for the best. 

"On-air host Joe Cahill, who was let go by HTZ-FM in 2013, worries the classic rock station is “doomed” under its new owners: “God and Mötley Crüe don’t mix.”

But he said the sale could have a silver lining for the other two stations.

“Hopefully, new owners inject local back in the mix. I can see them keeping (the) CKTB and EZ/Move formats.”

Bell Media selling its three Niagara radio stations

February 9, 2024 8:58 am  #100

The house I recently purchased has a Bell box and satellite dish mounted . I have ordered it removed. I signed on with Sunwire. Their tv set up is wifi , but resembles the Rogers Legacy look on screen. Bell can go to Bhell. [ With respect to Bruce Marshal  ]

February 9, 2024 9:26 am  #101

brian451 wrote:

I am concerned for the St Catherines and Hamilton station being sold to WhiteOaks because they generally are Christian stations and the current formats do not fit what they generally broadcast. 

In thinking about this, I'm not so sure the worst is yet to come for the Niagara area stations. Whiteoaks already has CJYE, which I think comes in pretty well in St. Catharines if anyone cares to listen. Being where they are geographically, they also face fund raising competition from Christian stations K-Love 102.5 and WDCX in Buffalo. Why would they want to convert (you should pardon the expression) CKTB or the FMs to a format that's already there in abundance and effectively compete against themselves?

As for turning them ethnic, I suppose that's possible, although I can't see a scenario where they do that for all of them. There are already a ton of foreign language stations in the GTHA and I'm sure some of their signals easily reach St. Kitts. 

Consider: CHLO, CIRV-FM, the multiple CHINs, CJSA, CHIM, CJRK, CFMS (which offers ethnic programming on HD2 & 3, as well as in some late hours,) CJMR, CIRF, CHKT, CHHA, CINA and CHTO. Not to mention 770 WTOR from Youngstown, N.Y., which is aimed squarely north of the border. 

I admit St. Catharines is not in Toronto and going ethnic is often the quickest way to make a buck, but with all of those in the area, I can't see why they'd want yet another one competing for ears in Southern Ontario. 

Whiteoaks may be a small owner with just two local stations, but I'm guessing they're not stupid. I suppose we'll have to wait and see what they do.

February 9, 2024 9:33 am  #102

In this article, MyFM's Jon Pole promises no one will lose their jobs once his company takes over the Bell stations he bought.

"Jon Pole, president of Renfrew-based My Broadcasting Corporation, added he plans to invest in local news after he finalizes taking control of radio stations CFJR and CJPT in Brockville, and CFLY and CKLC in Kingston.

“From a staff perspective, nothing will change,” said Pole.

“We’re excited to have them as part of our family.”

Radio stations' incoming owner upbeat over sale

February 9, 2024 10:08 am  #103

RadioActive wrote:

The folks who work (or do for the moment) at the White House of Talk in St. Catharines aren't saying much about what becomes of CKTB, CHRE and CHTZ once the new owners take over. 

As noted here, that newcomer is Whiteoaks Communications, whose two current stations (CJYE and CJMR) are all-religious and all-ethnic. Which is why there's worry about the current formats of all the outlets once the incoming boss takes over. 

Still, while those who at the stations are understandably reluctant to say much, one former long time employee hopes for the best. 

"On-air host Joe Cahill, who was let go by HTZ-FM in 2013, worries the classic rock station is “doomed” under its new owners: “God and Mötley Crüe don’t mix.”

“Hopefully, new owners inject local back in the mix. I can see them keeping (the) CKTB and EZ/Move formats.”

Whiteoaks hasn't always been only a Christian radio company. They founded CHWO and owned it until its sale to Moses Znaimer who made it Zoomer radio. Oakville family marks 60 years in radio broadcasting 

February 9, 2024 10:30 am  #104

RadioActive wrote:

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Someone just posted on the CFTO facebook page that it looks like the plug may have been pulled on W-5.

Could be. According to Broadcast Dialogue:

"The network’s flagship investigative series W5 will also evolve from a standalone docuseries to a multi-part, multi-platform investigative reporting unit. That content will be featured across CTV National News and CTV News platforms."

Leave it to Bell's incompetent mismanagement to potentially end a network's flagship news show that's been on since Sept. 1968, the oldest such program of its kind in North America.

According to Wikipedia, W5 premiered September 11, 1966.

February 9, 2024 10:34 am  #105

Sorry, a typo on my part, because I also looked it up on Wikipedia. It pre-dated 60 Minutes by two years. How they could just essentially discard it after all these years, along with a respected reputation it took decades to build, is beyond me. (Not to mention once using Supertramp's "Fool's Overture" as its long time theme!)

Judging by some of the reaction on social media, I'm not alone. 

"An incalculable loss": Canadians unhappy after CTV News scraps "W5" in its 58th season

February 9, 2024 10:43 am  #106

Moses Znaimer weighs in on his purchase of CJOS-FM Owen Sound - but gives no hint of any format changes.

Moses Znaimer Announces Zoomermedia Acquisition Of Owen Sound’s CJOS Bounce 92.3 FM From Bell Media

February 9, 2024 10:54 am  #107

February 9, 2024 11:06 am  #108

RadioActive wrote:

And let's not forget we still don't know what's going to happen with CKOC and CHAM in Hamilton once new owner Neeti Ray gets his hands on them. This has to be the single most tumultuous period of change at one time ever in Canadian radio history and all because of an incompetent giant company who had no idea how to run a radio empire. 

And I might add, given its track record, should never have been allowed to in the first place. 

Should make for interesting times here on SOWNY as the changes take place. 

Indeed. This story was first posted Feb 7th. Two days and we are up to four pages of comments/opinions. Could that be a SOWNY Record, RA?

February 9, 2024 11:18 am  #109

Hansa wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Whiteoaks hasn't always been only a Christian radio company. They founded CHWO and owned it until its sale to Moses Znaimer who made it Zoomer radio. Oakville family marks 60 years in radio broadcasting 

Growing up in Oakville, the best way to describe CHWO, it was a small town CFRB. Competent news, weather and sports plus the same dreadful music [to a teen] that 1010 played. My only reason to listen was for possible school closings [usually none] after a major snowstorm.

February 9, 2024 11:23 am  #110

mace wrote:

Indeed. This story was first posted Feb 7th. Two days and we are up to four pages of comments/opinions. Could that be a SOWNY Record, RA?

If it's not the champ, it's close. There was one other story that went insane on the site, posted on June 14th, 2023. There were four pages of messages in that first day alone. 

You may remember the headline, which is kind of ironic. 

Bell Cuts 1,300, Closes 6 Stns., Including CJBK, Selling CKOC & CHAM

Some things never change...

February 9, 2024 11:49 am  #111

RadioActive wrote:

Not to mention once using Supertramp's "Fool's Overture" as its long time theme!)

I’d forgotten that! What a great song.

February 9, 2024 12:03 pm  #112

From what I understand, Whiteoaks was recently handed down to the next generation of the family.

It's never safe to assume that what a very small company has done will be what they do once they get their hands on much bigger properties. Religious formats could have strictly been a business decision.

For comparison, CINA radio group only had 3rd language stations before purchasing 98.7 and have only doubled-down on the urban music direction of the station.

February 9, 2024 12:07 pm  #113

I think June 14th 2023 was much more of a big deal in broadcasting than what happened yesterday.  Bell closed 6 big heritage 50,000 watt radio stations, and layed off about 950 people. It took quite some time to sell 3 other stations that were for sale.   Yesterday was nothing like that. 

What has many people worked up is the incorrect reporting from far too many media outlets that gave the impression that BELL MEDIA was laying off 4,800 people.  Totally incorrect.   In fact it could be less than 400 including unionized employees. 

Other divisions of BCE are really doing the major cutting of staff, but getting no news coverage  .That is not very good news reporting, and this should be the real story from yesterday.  Bell is also pulling big money from their expansion of the fibre network, because of CRTC regs. and having to share their technology with start ups.     

Yesterday's story for broadcasting had some good in it beyond the loss of employment which is always bad.  The fact that ALL of the 45 stations that Bell wants to sell have buyers.  That actually is fantastic since some if not many of the employees that Bell is planning to let go could be rehired by the new owners.  This happens all the time.  It happend to me twice in my career where the new owners rehired everyone. This won't happen today but some will be rehired.  

I love the way one of the suits at Bell said that radio is no longer viable but somehow the company sold 45 stations to various smaller broadcasters.  No longer viable because Bell doesn't understand how to run smaller radio outlets, or just can't be bothered.  Remember this is the company that was still buying up smaller stations not many years ago. 

The bad news yesterday was the cancelling of weekend news (which is messed up part of the year by NFL football) and noon hour news.  Look for CBC at some point to add more local/regional TV news, even on CBC radio.

If enough people complain about W5 it may not be lost completely as it's own program.  W5 was already providing reports and inserts on CTV National News and CTV News Channel.  Some weeks W5 is better than 60 Minutes and it is a shame that this still excellent show will no longer be around as a program. 

Finally Bell Media is far from bankrupt.  It makes good coin, but not as much as it use to.  Bell is also trying to spank the CRTC, which is not really a bad thing.  But Bell can't call all of the shots like they want to.
The upcoming battle could be interesting. 

February 9, 2024 12:15 pm  #114

paterson1 wrote:

I think June 14th 2023 was much more of a big deal in broadcasting than what happened yesterday.  Bell closed 6 big heritage 50,000 watt radio stations, and layed off about 950 people. It took quite some time to sell 3 other stations that were for sale.   Yesterday was nothing like that. 

What has many people worked up is the incorrect reporting from far too many media outlets that gave the impression that BELL MEDIA was laying off 4,800 people.  Totally incorrect.   In fact it could be less than 400 including unionized employees. 

Other divisions of BCE are really doing the major cutting of staff, but getting no news coverage  .That is not very good news reporting, and this should be the real story from yesterday.  Bell is also pulling big money from their expansion of the fibre network, because of CRTC regs. and having to share their technology with start ups.     

Yesterday's story for broadcasting had some good in it beyond the loss of employment which is always bad.  The fact that ALL of the 45 stations that Bell wants to sell have buyers.  That actually is fantastic since some if not many of the employees that Bell is planning to let go could be rehired by the new owners.  This happens all the time.  It happend to me twice in my career where the new owners rehired everyone. This won't happen today but some will be rehired.  

I love the way one of the suits at Bell said that radio is no longer viable but somehow the company sold 45 stations to various smaller broadcasters.  No longer viable because Bell doesn't understand how to run smaller radio outlets, or just can't be bothered.  Remember this is the company that was still buying up smaller stations not many years ago. 

The bad news yesterday was the cancelling of weekend news (which is messed up part of the year by NFL football) and noon hour news.  Look for CBC at some point to add more local/regional TV news, even on CBC radio.

If enough people complain about W5 it may not be lost completely as it's own program.  W5 was already providing reports and inserts on CTV National News and CTV News Channel.  Some weeks W5 is better than 60 Minutes and it is a shame that this still excellent show will no longer be around as a program. 

Finally Bell Media is far from bankrupt.  It makes good coin, but not as much as it use to.  Bell is also trying to spank the CRTC, which is not really a bad thing.  But Bell can't call all of the shots like they want to.

Not sure if CBC has done this in other regions, but in BC they have recently begun broadcasting their noon-hour BC Today show on CBC TV. And it’s not just a camera looking at a radio studio, it actually has the host looking at a camera.

February 9, 2024 12:15 pm  #115

paterson1 wrote:

The fact that ALL of the 45 stations that Bell wants to sell have buyers. 

45 is the number of stations they found buyers for, not the number they wanted to sell.

February 9, 2024 12:59 pm  #116

45 is a good start.  If Bell wants to get out of radio or broadcasting altogether this will need to be done in phases anyway.  And they will not be happy with some of the prices they may need to settle for.   I don't think they are in the drivers seat here.  Me thinks we will see what Bell is really made out of in the next year. 

Why all the concern from some about Whiteoaks Communications and the stations they want to buy. They just can't flip to religion or ethnic programming anyway.  Even the Bounce stations out west.  Couldn't the new owners when they actually take over keep some as they are depending on what was arranged with Bell? 

February 9, 2024 12:59 pm  #117

paterson1 wrote:

I don't know if CBC will be expanding regional TV news. Regional TV is low on the CBC's priority list when it comes to creating new content (it's digital, radio then, TV). They might do radio on the TV like they do in the mornings and what MJVancouver described with BC Today. 

I doubt Global would expand into the noon hour on their stations where they don't have noon newscasts. I'm still hoping maybe one day the Ontario/Quebec is split up. 

Last edited by ED1 (February 9, 2024 1:04 pm)

February 9, 2024 1:03 pm  #118

paterson1 wrote:

Why all the concern from some about Whiteoaks Communications and the stations they want to buy. 

It's the unknown.

It's reasonably easy to predict what a MYfm, VISTA, or Durham will do. Not these guys.

February 9, 2024 1:07 pm  #119

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Why all the concern from some about Whiteoaks Communications and the stations they want to buy. 

It's the unknown.

It's reasonably easy to predict what a MYfm, VISTA, or Durham will do. Not these guys.

Whiteoaks ran CHWO as a mainstream station for 50 years before selling it to Moses Znaimer.

February 9, 2024 1:16 pm  #120

Hansa wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

It's the unknown.

Whiteoaks ran CHWO as a mainstream station for 50 years before selling it to Moses Znaimer.

No doubt they'll be mainstream, but we don't know how they'll operate in terms of the way they'll run the business.