sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2024 12:07 pm  #31

Re: Bell Media Cuts 4,800 Jobs, Selling 45 Stations

Stuart McGinn, the morning newscaster on CFRB, reported this story on the 11 AM news, ending the copy with "The company has concluded that radio is no longer a viable business."

That's quite an admission. A radio station telling its audience they're essentially wasting their time tuning into the broadcast they're currently listening to. 

Another first for Bell!

February 8, 2024 12:17 pm  #32

Yes it is BCE that is cutting 4,800 jobs.  This is the parent company of Bell Media.  So while the cuts were deep at Bell Media they are also happening in other divisions of BCE. 

The good news is that many of those let go at the various stations could very well be hired by the new owners.  Also Bell is wrong saying that the radio business isn't viable.  If radio were not viable, then the 45 stations wouldn't have sold. Bell was a lousy operator of radio stations, especially in smaller markets.  

February 8, 2024 12:21 pm  #33

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

I too wonder what the end game is here.

Might this foretell the closures of 1320 and/or 1250?

February 8, 2024 12:21 pm  #34

As expected, the company is being roasted on social media. One of them surprised me, since he works for Bell Media (and as far as I know, still does.)

Political commentator Scott Reid had this to say on Twitter/X:

"Such a trash company": Bell Media slammed for axing 4,800 jobs, selling 45 radio stations

February 8, 2024 12:25 pm  #35

Leslieville Bill wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

-I'm shocked to see Zoomer as a buyer. Radio has been a money-loser for them for a while now. I guess Owen Sound becomes Classical?

They already have a Classical FM transmitter in Collingwood. That's less than 60 km away. Would the signal reach there? If so, maybe Owen Sound becomes Zoomer Radio north?

Could be but the local AM CFOS is already sort of Zoomer Radio north.  They hope to move to FM but their format which is a little eclectic and local is moving with them if they get approved. 

February 8, 2024 12:41 pm  #36

Many journalists don't seem to understand the difference between Bell Canada and Bell Media. There's no way Bell Media even has 4,800 total employees. Someone in this thread suggesting that local radio stations in the year 2024 have 100 employees each is laughable. 

Last edited by torontostan (February 8, 2024 12:41 pm)

February 8, 2024 12:50 pm  #38

Someone just posted on the CFTO facebook page that it looks like the plug may have been pulled on W-5.

February 8, 2024 1:08 pm  #39

On Global’s Morning Show, Jeff Macarthur is claiming that the 45 radio stations are “going silent”.

I’m guessing this was pre-taped before all the information came out, but there’s a big difference between shutting down (which they did to a bunch of stations last year) and selling stations.

February 8, 2024 1:13 pm  #40

I am expecting a lot of changes at TSN. I love watching the Jay Onrait show but there is already a sportscentre that airs on other TSN channels and so why produce 2? They also run a lot of filler programming on the network already so it wouldn’t surprise me if more of that happens. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they got rid of some of the local NHL broadcasts of Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg games. Sell off those rights or let them expire and then let Rogers take over.
I am just going through the list of radio stations being sold and it seems like there is a lot of stations that have one host on many stations (Tarzan on Bounce) and in BC I think there is some syndication of morning and afternoon shows in the interior stations. It will be intriguing what those stations do and what they sound like over the next 6-12 months. I am expecting several format/branding changes for sure. Recently Vista bought a couple stations in Alberta, Country 96.5 (CKLJ), Rock 104.5 (CKJX) in Olds and Country 106.5 (CKVG) in Vegreville. They also just flipped a 2Day radio in Lethbridge to Country. 

February 8, 2024 1:16 pm  #41

No Noon newscast on CTV Ottawa or Montreal.  That's not a good sign.
And here's why:

https://broadcastdialogue.com/most-noon-late-night-local-ctv-newscasts-cancelled-as-part-of-cuts-at-bell-media/

Last edited by Big8Newsie (February 8, 2024 1:23 pm)

February 8, 2024 1:28 pm  #42

Big8Newsie wrote:

And here's why:

https://broadcastdialogue.com/most-noon-late-night-local-ctv-newscasts-cancelled-as-part-of-cuts-at-bell-media/

CBC is reporting that the late night newscast cancellations are only on weekends, which is a bit different from what Broadcast Dialogue implies.

Still, it looks like there will be no TV news on weekends in parts of the country where CTV has a monopoly - places like London, Kitchener, and Northern Ontario.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (February 8, 2024 1:30 pm)

February 8, 2024 1:35 pm  #43

CTV Kitchener noon news replaced by a game show, kind of ironic.

February 8, 2024 1:48 pm  #44

Latest news says national reporters in Montreal, Winnipeg and Alberta are gone, as is one of the reporters in the Parliamentary bureau in Ottawa. As previously noted, noon time newscasts across Canada are mostly gone, and local weekend 6pm newscasts are cancelled in all cities except Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. W5 has been given the heave-ho as well.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (February 8, 2024 1:57 pm)

February 8, 2024 1:50 pm  #45

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Big8Newsie wrote:

And here's why:

CBC is reporting that the late night newscast cancellations are only on weekends, which is a bit different from what Broadcast Dialogue implies.

Still, it looks like there will be no TV news on weekends in parts of the country where CTV has a monopoly - places like London, Kitchener, and Northern Ontario.

From the Broadcast Dialogue article:

"We can and will remain #1 by dedicating ourselves to the continued creation of exceptional news content, while at the same time strategically transforming CTV News.”

Oh, I see. Cut huge amounts from the budget, lose hundreds of employees, and still maintain the same or even better quality. You don't have to be a math whiz to know that can't possibly add up. 

February 8, 2024 2:00 pm  #46

Those who have a subscription to the Toronto Star can see this - the readers' comments on this story are simply incredible. I'm not sure I've ever seen this amount of vitriol coming out in something that isn't directed at a specific political party. And I'm guessing most of these comments are coming from people who are not in broadcasting but know a terrible move and owner when they see it. 

I thought I was the only one who despised this company so much. But it appears The Bell Haters Club has thousands of new members. 

Here's one from a reader named "Ron" that I especially liked. 

"Maybe, just maybe, this is a renaissance in local radio. Back when a local owner like the Slaights or Alan Waters or Moses were happy with a 15% ROI on their radio and TV stations, and had interesting and innovative programming that actually appealed to at least a segment of the market, we had a thriving and truly diverse broadcast industry.

In particular, Bell and Corus let those owners cash out, but they did the industry - and themselves - no favour with their "slash and burn" management style.

Even on the telecom side, Bell was a once great engineering enterprise that should have stuck to its knitting, but despite flashy marketing and generally favourable government support they have not thrived.

Now, customers, subscribers, communities, employees and even shareholders don't think much of them. So again, maybe this divestiture of 45 radio stations back into independent hands will spark some interesting innovations that will appeal to all stakeholders. Imagine, radio managed by radio people."

February 8, 2024 2:12 pm  #47

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 8, 2024 2:19 pm  #48

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

Someone just posted on the CFTO facebook page that it looks like the plug may have been pulled on W-5.

Could be. According to Broadcast Dialogue:

"The network’s flagship investigative series W5 will also evolve from a standalone docuseries to a multi-part, multi-platform investigative reporting unit. That content will be featured across CTV National News and CTV News platforms."

Leave it to Bell's incompetent mismanagement to potentially end a network's flagship news show that's been on since Sept. 1968, the oldest such program of its kind in North America.

February 8, 2024 2:43 pm  #49

RadioActive wrote:

Leave it to Bell's incompetent mismanagement to potentially end a network's flagship news show that's been on since Sept. 1968, the oldest such program of its kind in North America.

I had the feeling Bell's mismanagement was incompetent...

Last edited by Saul (February 8, 2024 2:45 pm)

February 8, 2024 3:48 pm  #50

paterson1 wrote:

Yes it is BCE that is cutting 4,800 jobs.  This is the parent company of Bell Media.  So while the cuts were deep at Bell Media they are also happening in other divisions of BCE. 

The good news is that many of those let go at the various stations could very well be hired by the new owners.  Also Bell is wrong saying that the radio business isn't viable.  If radio were not viable, then the 45 stations wouldn't have sold. Bell was a lousy operator of radio stations, especially in smaller markets.  

"Fewer than 10%" of the BCE job cuts are at Bell Media specificially - so something approaching 480 jobs.

Last edited by Hansa (February 8, 2024 3:49 pm)

February 8, 2024 3:48 pm  #51

It might be a bit premature to get wound up about the lack of noon hour TV newscasts today.  Every station would have had a town hall this morning and all of the staff and management had a lot to cover. 

Some of these newscasts will be gone permanently, and others could just be cancelled for today.

This likely is a good thing overall for radio.  Many felt and had complained for years that Bell was not good with radio and their cookie cutter formats, lack of creativity etc .   Well now we will see smaller operators take over and hopefully, in time, make these stations more viable than Bell.

Again, some, maybe many of these employees will stay on under the new owners, so it is hard to say exactly how many lost their jobs.  Bell Media cut no where near 4,800 jobs today, which would have been all of their staff.  CTV News/News Channel and W5 alone had about 1,000 employees. 

Just the fact that Bell was able to sell the 45 stations is proof that there still is a future for radio.  And that is a good thing....as Martha and Snoop would say...  

February 8, 2024 4:09 pm  #52

February 8, 2024 4:14 pm  #53

February 8, 2024 4:19 pm  #54

Among those getting cut are a few well known names. From The Daily Hive:

"CTV National’s Alberta bureau chief Bill Fortier, Montreal reporter Vanessa Lee, and Winnipeg bureau chief Jill Macyshon have all been axed, per the sources."

February 8, 2024 4:23 pm  #55

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

The bottom line so far:
- Vista Radio and My Broadcasting consolidate their hold on small and medium markets across Canada. Their hyper-local focus may benefit audiences in those communities.
- Durham Radio picks up some holdings in cottage country.
- The big question mark is Whiteoaks Communications, which runs Christian/ethnic radio stations in Oakville and Mississauga. It will be interesting to see what changes they plan for their St. Catharines and Hamilton stations.

Personally, I don't think Whiteoaks does a THING with HTZ FM or Move 105.7(save maybe reimaging 105.7, since I think Bell still has the rights to the Move branding). HTZ has a decades-long legacy as an AOR station.

February 8, 2024 4:26 pm  #56

February 8, 2024 4:32 pm  #57

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

Just a Radio Fan wrote:

So I am confused, although that is not difficult.   Sold 45 stations, let go 4800 people.  That is over 100 per station.  There is no way any of these stations had 100 people working at them, even with support (sales, accounting ect.).   Where are the rest of the people impacted from ?

Expect to see more cuts at CTV News and in the back office and administration side of the organization. There's also the possibility of more regionalization of local newscasts, particularly in Western Canada.

Oh, we got cuts at CTV News, all right. Shall we begin to describe the bloodletting? (I know others mentioned before I; in my defense, I didn't see those posts....but I was aware of the changes.)

-Noon news at ALL CTV stations except CFTO in Toronto: GONE. IMMEDIATELY.
-CTV/CTV2 weekend news at ALL stations except CFTO, CFCF in Montreal and CJOH in Ottawa: GONE.
-News on statutory federal holidays: GONE, except for CFTO.
-CTV News Channel shows are now lengthened. Three of its weeknight political shows are ending, replaced by a 6-10pm newscast.
-W5, which has lasted for decades and inspired(among other shows)60 Minutes, is ending its run as a standalone shows and is being folded into CTV News proper.

Last edited by ckg927 (February 8, 2024 4:35 pm)

February 8, 2024 4:32 pm  #58

^From the link in post #56:

Among the cuts:

"CTV's evening programs — The Debate, This Hour and Top 3 Tonight — are all being shut down and being replaced by a weekday nightly news broadcast"

IIRC, these shows launched very recently (mid-late 2023?). I'm sure the staff thought they were in the process of building something. In another masterstroke of Bell genius, these three shows replaced what is now replacing them...

Last edited by Binson Echorec (February 8, 2024 4:34 pm)

February 8, 2024 4:42 pm  #59

ckg927 wrote:

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

The bottom line so far:
- Vista Radio and My Broadcasting consolidate their hold on small and medium markets across Canada. Their hyper-local focus may benefit audiences in those communities.
- The big question mark is Whiteoaks Communications, which runs Christian/ethnic radio stations in Oakville and Mississauga. It will be interesting to see what changes they plan for their St. Catharines and Hamilton stations.

Personally, I don't think Whiteoaks does a THING with HTZ FM or Move 105.7(save maybe reimaging 105.7, since I think Bell still has the rights to the Move branding). HTZ has a decades-long legacy as an AOR station.

The market's been unprofitable for 5 years. Legacy shmegacy.

February 8, 2024 4:44 pm  #60

RadioAaron wrote:

ckg927 wrote:

BowmanvilleBob wrote:

The bottom line so far:

The market's been unprofitable for 5 years. Legacy shmegacy.

Well, that didn't stop Byrnes Communications from buying CFLZ and CJED, did it?