sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2024 4:18 pm  #1

Where The Hell Does He Live?

Watching CTV News Channel today & noticed this during a clip with Thomas Mulcair    

​Upper right corner of the screen showing Saint-Sauveur QB - Mr, Mulcair's residence.

Or is it?

Since when did "QB" become accepted short form for the province of Quebec?

Today?

Depending on whether you are French or English or wish to correspond by international mail the only generally accepted terms are Que. for English & Qc in French. The post office goes with QC as its internationally approved code. 

So can we assume that whoever wrote "QB" sounded things out & heard Kew Bec in their head and there you go.

Jesus Christ CTV New Channel 

February 4, 2024 4:28 pm  #2

Re: Where The Hell Does He Live?

As a kid, I learned it as PQ for "Province de Quebec" but Canada Post's website does indeed list it as "QC".

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/addressing-guidelines/symbols-and-abbreviations.page

Last edited by Binson Echorec (February 4, 2024 4:28 pm)

February 4, 2024 5:14 pm  #3

It must be the P.M.'s fault.

February 4, 2024 5:21 pm  #4

Dial Twister wrote:

If it costs us more, for nothing, then yes, it must be.

February 4, 2024 5:48 pm  #5

I thought  was a nitpicker (which I am).
How many of us can honestly say we've never made a mistake or -- GASP! -- a typo?

February 4, 2024 6:40 pm  #6

Je me souviens

February 4, 2024 7:40 pm  #7

Binson Echorec wrote:

As a kid, I learned it as PQ for "Province de Quebec" but Canada Post's website does indeed list it as "QC". https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/addressing-guidelines/symbols-and-abbreviations.page

I used to do the same - PQ. Then it occurred to me that also abbreviated the same of a political party, and that Quebec was properly QC. I've used QC ever since in my DX logs, and I use full names for postal mail (all five letters max I actually postal-mail in any given year).

Last edited by Saul (February 4, 2024 7:40 pm)

February 4, 2024 8:20 pm  #8

unclefester wrote:

Watching CTV News Channel today & noticed this during a clip with Thomas Mulcair    

​Upper right corner of the screen showing Saint-Sauveur QB - Mr, Mulcair's residence.

Or is it?

Today?

Depending on whether you are French or English or wish to correspond by international mail the only generally accepted terms are Que. for English & Qc in French. The post office goes with QC as its internationally approved code. 

So can we assume that whoever wrote "QB" sounded things out & heard Kew Bec in their head and there you go.

I associate "QB" with Quarterback.  Maybe the CTV News Channel people were excited about this afternoon's NFL Pro Bowl (which was on ABC, not CBS.... so there's no risk of 60 Mintues being delayed).

February 4, 2024 10:14 pm  #9

NW wrote:

unclefester wrote:

Or is it?

Today?

I associate "QB" with Quarterback.  Maybe the CTV News Channel people were excited about this afternoon's NFL Pro Bowl (which was on ABC, not CBS.... so there's no risk of 60 Mintues being delayed).

as Monty Python once quipped "word association football"

February 5, 2024 9:12 am  #10

My understanding has always been that the change from PQ to QC came about because of objections from the Québecois to being called out as a mere "province," when every other province and territory used an abbreviation of its full name.

National pride and all that...

February 7, 2024 7:28 pm  #11

Dial Twister wrote:

Or his father's.