sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2024 9:44 am  #1

From Moore In The Morning To Mayor In The Morning On 1010 Next Week

John Moore announced on Wednesday that he will be off all next week with former Toronto mayor and CFRB afternoon host John Tory taking his place. I know some here are not fond of Tory, so if they're into talk, hopefully Greg Brady will be back on AM640, and there's always the CBC or even CKTB.

January 31, 2024 10:16 am  #2

Re: From Moore In The Morning To Mayor In The Morning On 1010 Next Week

Tory is a massive upgrade over Johnny.
A solid 8 hours - Tory, Agar, Kapelos 

January 31, 2024 10:55 am  #3

Counterpoint: Tory is a witheringly dull bloviator. 

January 31, 2024 10:57 am  #4

A 69 year old former mayor who did nothing with considerable power in order to assure the future vitality of the city is an absolute fitting host for 1010AM. They should make him the PD while they're at it.

January 31, 2024 11:12 am  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

A 69 year old former mayor who did nothing with considerable power in order to assure the future vitality of the city is an absolute fitting host for 1010AM. They should make him the PD while they're at it.

Agreed.  Tory was a bitter disappointment as Mayor, even before his final public failure.  I have no interest in his opinions, or even the sound of his voice on any subject.  I hardly listen to Moore anymore as it is, but I will not tolerate Tory for even one second next week.

January 31, 2024 11:25 am  #6

Even though he is "Left of Centre" I like John Moore's style. I met him at one of the customer appreciation shindigs NT1010 hosted pre-pandemic. A really nice guy. As for John Tory, he was better than the anti-car, anti-cop Chairman Chow we have now.

January 31, 2024 12:31 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Recycling is good for the environment...

January 31, 2024 12:32 pm  #8

mace wrote:

Even though he is "Left of Centre" I like John Moore's style. I met him at one of the customer appreciation shindigs NT1010 hosted pre-pandemic. A really nice guy. As for John Tory, he was better than the anti-car, anti-cop Chairman Chow we have now.

"Chairman Chow" - are you serious?

February 1, 2024 8:22 am  #9

Meh, every time I commute to work I'm reminded of John Tory's role in ensuring that there would be no LRT in place in time to replace the Scarborough RT when it went kaput last year and what a sham his "SmartTrack" scheme was.

Last edited by Hansa (February 1, 2024 8:44 am)

February 1, 2024 8:49 am  #10

Well if that is the case and John Tory will be hosting 1010 next week I will be listening to 640AM in the morning as well that week!

February 2, 2024 8:40 am  #11

This didn't have to be. I heard Moore say Friday morning that his plans fell through for his week off and he told management he could come in after all. They told him Tory's shifts had already been arranged and to enjoy his next seven days. But the veteran morning man noted if things had been different, he would have been on the air next week.

February 3, 2024 10:42 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

This didn't have to be. I heard Moore say Friday morning that his plans fell through for his week off and he told management he could come in after all. They told him Tory's shifts had already been arranged and to enjoy his next seven days. But the veteran morning man noted if things had been different, he would have been on the air next week.

Might have been nice to hear John Moore host The Rush all next week so listeners could have a break from the usual suspects and he doesn't needlessly sacrifice the time off. But I'm pretty sure they would never consider it and perhaps John wouldn't be interested in a quick trip back to his original shift on 1010.

February 3, 2024 11:21 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

If Moore is available, and willing, to do his regular job, why would they bring in that wind-bag Tory?  I have to assume he is paid to sub-host a show for the week, and that Moore is paid for his time off.  Why pay twice?  For all his many public failures, it's doubtful Tory needs the money.

February 4, 2024 11:15 am  #14

Walter wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

If Moore is available, and willing, to do his regular job, why would they bring in that wind-bag Tory?  I have to assume he is paid to sub-host a show for the week, and that Moore is paid for his time off.  Why pay twice?  For all his many public failures, it's doubtful Tory needs the money.

I don't know the exact situation here, but in principle: If a host gets time off for a holiday and the station takes time and trouble for a fill-in, and fills the slot, why should the fill-in be jerked around if the host changes his mind?

February 4, 2024 3:53 pm  #15

Saul wrote:

Walter wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I don't know the exact situation here, but in principle: If a host gets time off for a holiday and the station takes time and trouble for a fill-in, and fills the slot, why should the fill-in be jerked around if the host changes his mind?

Because it's John Tory.  He jerked around the citizens of Toronto to the tune of tens of millions for an election no one wanted.  I don't know why 1010 seems so determined to get him back on the air.

February 4, 2024 4:14 pm  #16

Saul wrote:

In my experience, that's part and parcel of being a fill in. Sometimes, vacation plans change.

Walter wrote:

...it's doubtful Tory needs the money.

Given the silver spoon with which he was born, I'd think not.

Last edited by Binson Echorec (February 4, 2024 4:17 pm)

February 4, 2024 6:30 pm  #17

It is not a case of John Moore changing his mind.  He said his plans didn't work out.  The morning man is the anchor of the station.  The guest host works around the morning host, not the other way around.  Seems odd that Newstalk 1010 management is giving preference in this to Tory rather than John Moore who has also worked at the station much longer.   

February 4, 2024 8:09 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

It is not a case of John Moore changing his mind.  He said his plans didn't work out.  The morning man is the anchor of the station.  The guest host works around the morning host, not the other way around.  Seems odd that Newstalk 1010 management is giving preference in this to Tory rather than John Moore who has also worked at the station much longer.   

Indeed.....Johnny has delivered a 1% +/- market share for the station.....Maybe that's why Paterson

Last edited by peter (February 4, 2024 8:11 pm)

February 4, 2024 10:17 pm  #19

I will be listening to Bill Carroll this week

580 CFRA

His show starts at 5 am 

I'm all in while Mr. Moore is away

February 5, 2024 7:22 am  #20

Can't listen to Tory, always sounds like he's responding to a question at a City Hall Council meeting.
'RB, a shadow of its former self.

February 7, 2024 7:37 pm  #21

mace wrote:

Even though he is "Left of Centre" I like John Moore's style...

I always smile when I hear conservatives say that. I always found him to be more of a libertarian, myself.