sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2024 9:20 am  #1

Are There Too Many Panel Shows On Toronto Talk Radio?

Talk radio has a lot of sameness in it, and nowhere is that more apparent than the so-called “panel segments.”

Consider: CFRB alone runs its Roundtable feature at 7:45 AM and 8:45 AM every weekday as part of Moore in the Morning.

At 1 PM, Vassy Kapelos does a half hour free-for-all on her national show.

Then at 4:30, whoever is hosting The Rush stops for the “Smart Speakers” series, with two so-called experts opining on the day's news.

And finally, at 7:15 PM, Jim Richards’ NewsTalk Tonight features yet one more, called “The Rundown,” with two guests discussing the current headlines. It runs for half an hour.

That’s two hours of virtually the same feature in a single day on one station. If you count the hour long version when Kapelos is off, it makes it three hours on Fridays.

AM 640 has recently added “Think Tank” a half hour-ish commercial free discussion on Greg Brady’s morning show. John Oakley features an apparently on-again off-again “Topics Worthy of Discussion” segment in the last half hour of his show every day. He also occasionally does another one on Wednesdays or Thursdays around 4:30 PM.

And if you add in CKTB’s morning version of The Roundtable at about the same time as sister station CFRB’s, that’s up to four-and-a-half hours of pundit talk with various recurring guests every single day.

That seems like a lot to me, and of course, not everyone hears them all. I guess it works and attracts ears, or they wouldn’t do it. But that’s a lot of the same format with the same guests over and over in a given week. Perhaps there’s another segment they could think of that might not be quite as repetitive day after day.

Either way, it seems this feature is here to stay.

January 17, 2024 9:56 am  #2

Re: Are There Too Many Panel Shows On Toronto Talk Radio?

Fight Back with Libby Znaimer (am740) does the same bit as well, with the suitable tired guests you would expect in Toronto. Smitherman, DiNovo, Stintz, etc.

January 17, 2024 10:03 am  #3

Yes, I figured there were probably more I hadn't thought of. Although I don't know how many people consider 
AM740 a talk station. But it seems like anywhere there's talk on the radio, there's a "panel" to fill the time.  

January 17, 2024 10:21 am  #4

There are not listeners tuned in for the entire day. I would think the number of ears who hear all of the above mentioned panel shows, are very limited. Also there is the fact that news is ever evolving. What is discussed in the morning is not always necessarily the same as the late afternoon slot. 

January 17, 2024 12:28 pm  #5

The number of panels is one thing; it's an age-old piece of programming that can work. The GTA panellists are all the same political wonks in one form or another, with few exceptions. The topics are usually so dry and precisely different from what the average person talks about daily. I rarely sit down in a pub and discuss Toronto City Council budget details, quoting city councillors by name. If I had friends that did, I would hit them over the head with a slightly used golf club. There are no ordinary people on these panels that the average person relates to. 

When I hang out with my friends, we laugh, and there is fun, something missing; who wants to listen to doom and gloom? There is an interchange with my friends which needs to be improved on the radio rather than each person covering their talking point.

Nobody on a panel will change a listener's views, so lighten up. I can call my ex-wife or accountant if I want doom and gloom.

January 17, 2024 3:05 pm  #6

The other day I woke up about 3 am and could not get back to sleep, so I flipped on my bedside radio where Jim Richards was doing his all night show (geez didn't he start out with that shift?)
Anyway he was speaking to an expert on homelessness and safe fentanyl injection sites.
Just exactly what I want to hear with insomnia at 3 am.
Where's Coast To Coast when you need it?
Give me sasquatches and UFOS when I can't sleep.

January 17, 2024 3:10 pm  #7

The first regular panel discussion (as opposed to a panel interview a la Meet the Press) that I recall is Kierens, Camp, and Lewis on Morningside in the early 80s. Never been matched.

January 17, 2024 3:37 pm  #8

newsguy1 wrote:

The other day I woke up about 3 am and could not get back to sleep, so I flipped on my bedside radio where Jim Richards was doing his all night show (geez didn't he start out with that shift?)
Anyway he was speaking to an expert on homelessness and safe fentanyl injection sites.
Just exactly what I want to hear with insomnia at 3 am.
Where's Coast To Coast when you need it?
Give me sasquatches and UFOS when I can't sleep.

Try Coast to Coast on WBEN 930 AM in Buffalo if you can get it. The signal into Toronto isn't great, even worse at night. But it might be listenable. 

Yes, they replay Jim Richards' last few hours overnight from 3-5 AM. It's barely listenable once, let alone twice. 

January 17, 2024 4:58 pm  #9

Stinand wrote:

The number of panels is one thing; it's an age-old piece of programming that can work. The GTA panellists are all the same political wonks in one form or another, with few exceptions. The topics are usually so dry and precisely different from what the average person talks about daily. I rarely sit down in a pub and discuss Toronto City Council budget details, quoting city councillors by name. If I had friends that did, I would hit them over the head with a slightly used golf club. There are no ordinary people on these panels that the average person relates to. 

When I hang out with my friends, we laugh, and there is fun, something missing; who wants to listen to doom and gloom? There is an interchange with my friends which needs to be improved on the radio rather than each person covering their talking point.

Nobody on a panel will change a listener's views, so lighten up. I can call my ex-wife or accountant if I want doom and gloom.

There's no crying in baseball.  There's no laughing in talk radio.

January 17, 2024 5:49 pm  #10

I like radio, but I also like my sleep. So...
If I wake up at night and want to go back to sleep, I don't turn the radio on.
If I absolutely must turn the radio on, talk about taxes and city council budgets is guaranteed to very quickly put me back to sleep. I like my accountant, but I don't call him at 3am.
If I do wake up at night and am compelled to actually listen to the radio, it's only to see if any stations are running dead air, or to see if Argentinians and Colombians are overpowering the US clear channels, or to see if Mexican stations on channels where I've never heard Mexico before are running their 1:00 am (Eastern time) anthems.
One other thought: I don't listen to talk radio to change my mind. If the information is good, it might provoke me to think. But usually it isn't. So I listen to hear what I agree with (and sometimes I want to hear what I don't agree with so I can have my moment of hate). Sometimes this keeps me awake.

Last edited by Saul (January 17, 2024 5:50 pm)

January 17, 2024 5:58 pm  #11

Saul wrote:

I like radio, but I also like my sleep. So...
If I wake up at night and want to go back to sleep, I don't turn the radio on.
If I absolutely must turn the radio on, talk about taxes and city council budgets is guaranteed to very quickly put me back to sleep. I like my accountant, but I don't call him at 3am.
If I do wake up at night and am compelled to actually listen to the radio, it's only to see if any stations are running dead air, or to see if Argentinians and Colombians are overpowering the US clear channels, or to see if Mexican stations on channels where I've never heard Mexico before are running their 1:00 am (Eastern time) anthems.
One other thought: I don't listen to talk radio to change my mind. If the information is good, it might provoke me to think. But usually it isn't. So I listen to hear what I agree with (and sometimes I want to hear what I don't agree with so I can have my moment of hate). Sometimes this keeps me awake.

Try Advil Nighttime.

January 17, 2024 6:02 pm  #12

Walter wrote:

Try Advil Nighttime.

I actually can't take Advil. Tylenol works when I absolutely need to be awake later on...

January 18, 2024 8:09 am  #13

Unfortunate there are no more Larry Glicks and Norm Nathans in the overnight hours.

January 18, 2024 9:34 am  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Talk radio has a lot of sameness in it, and nowhere is that more apparent than the so-called “panel segments.”

I don't mind the panel segments themselves but must the topic be political or about societal problems most of the time (and that goes for the talk segments too)?   And maybe they should be in touch with what other shifts are talking about because on some days, hour after hour everybody seems to be harping about the same boring topic ad nauseam.   Maybe collectively they can try working a little harder, lean into it and find something else to cover instead of proffering the  low hanging fruit topics that are often the result of some crap sputtered by a politician with a mic in his face.   

I also would welcome more information / coverage other than politics of events with some real experts being interviewed and to see them reduce their reliance on opinions from the same tiresome group.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (January 18, 2024 9:50 am)

January 18, 2024 12:18 pm  #15

Well put SpinningWheel.  Toronto talk radio (1010 and 640) have way too much politics and opinion.  Both stations need to lighten up and have more fun and more interaction with listeners.  Smaller stations like CKTB, CHML, Zoomer of this do a better job IMHO. 

Speaking of Zoomer.  Did you know that they were reasonably popular in Buffalo back around 2005/06 and they had a Adult Standards format under the calls of CHWO at 740?

They actually got up to a 3.1 share in Buffalo and were just outside of the top ten. Wonder if they still have much listenership 55+ in Buffalo and WNY. 

January 18, 2024 12:34 pm  #16

paterson1 wrote:

Well put SpinningWheel.  Toronto talk radio (1010 and 640) have way too much politics and opinion.  Both stations need to lighten up and have more fun and more interaction with listeners.  Smaller stations like CKTB, CHML, Zoomer of this do a better job IMHO. 

Speaking of Zoomer.  Did you know that they were reasonably popular in Buffalo back around 2005/06 and they had a Adult Standards format under the calls of CHWO at 740?

They actually got up to a 3.1 share in Buffalo and were just outside of the top ten. Wonder if they still have much listenership 55+ in Buffalo and WNY. 

They would probably have to subscribe to Neilsen to find out.

January 18, 2024 2:05 pm  #17

"=12pxSpeaking of Zoomer.  Did you know that they were reasonably popular in Buffalo back around 2005/06 and they had a Adult Standards format under the calls of CHWO at 740?"
That was before Moses bought 740, when it was still the Caine family (Whiteoaks Communications) that owned it.

January 20, 2024 4:16 pm  #18

I’ve been listening occasionally to 740 in the past few months and really enjoy “Midnight Blue” with Ziggy.  She typically plays great old “naughty” blues music (1930s and 40s) along with more recent songs that fit the format.  Her low key commentary has just the right amount of snark!  Now there’s a show that I wish what a podcast - I’m not always listening to radio between midnight and 1:00 AM.  

January 20, 2024 7:43 pm  #19

Zoomer is a fantastic AM station.  Can't think of another commercial station like it anywhere.  The number of on air people they feature and variety of programs they produce in house is remarkable. 

January 20, 2024 7:57 pm  #20

mace wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

They would probably have to subscribe to Neilsen to find out.

55+ is a little generous. In Toronto 55-64 they are #16.

January 20, 2024 9:03 pm  #21

What is the sample size for 55+ or 55-64?

January 20, 2024 9:06 pm  #22

paterson1 wrote:

What is the sample size for 55+ or 55-64?

The older you go, the better the relative sample size.

A 60 year old started high school in 1979. Their music isn't on 740.

Last edited by RadioAaron (January 20, 2024 9:23 pm)

January 20, 2024 9:40 pm  #23

What is the sample size?  How many?  

January 20, 2024 9:44 pm  #24

paterson1 wrote:

What number isn't going to make you say "Aha! There's the problem!"?

It's not sample size. If it were sample size, we'd see wild swings from book-to-book. We don't.

There is little to no appeal to this radio station for much of anyone under 70.

January 21, 2024 9:38 am  #25

paterson1 wrote:

Zoomer is a fantastic AM station.  Can't think of another commercial station like it anywhere.  The number of on air people they feature and variety of programs they produce in house is remarkable. 

Totally agree with you paterson1. Zoomer radio is probably the only AM station in this market that doesn’t re-roll on weekends. They produce a heck of a lot in house, as you pointed out, and I find it a very positive type of station. Their newscasts are great too, possibly the best in TO , 680 excluded. I’ve also noticed they have been adding to their music library of late, heard Maestro Fresh Wes and the Violent Femmes recently, guess their beefing up their 80’s tunes, can’t help but think Liz West might have had a hand in that! My only criticism would be that they don’t give the time during their morning show, maybe not a bad thing if you’re retired!

January 21, 2024 9:56 am  #26

AM 740 reminds me, in a way, of the old CFRB - announcers who don't rush, a full newsroom, talk shows as well as music. What they used to refer to as a Variety format. 

I'm not a frequent listener, but my older sister often tunes it in over the air. That may not seem like anything, until you realize she lives in Staten Island, N.Y.!

All those incredible New York City radio stations and she often listens to AM 740 at night. Not sure what that means but it says something about who they're reaching.

January 21, 2024 10:10 am  #27

"A full newsroom"....RA, with all due respect, 740 has two full-time newscasters and a few freelance newsreaders who pop in to cover holidays and vacations. It has no reporters, attempts no breaking coverage of any news events and news is hardly noticeable and rarely updated on its website. I'd agree that the newscasts are generally pretty good, but that's largely due to the professionalism of the people involved, not any sort of commitment to news and journalism by MZ Media.

January 21, 2024 10:17 am  #28

Well, perhaps I used the wrong word. What I was thinking is exactly what you expressed - they have pros in the newsroom, people with experience who don't mispronounce names and streets in the city. I'm not sure they could afford real reporters, but at least their on-air news people seem to know what they're talking about.

I think we can all name a few local Toronto radios stations where that isn't the case.

January 21, 2024 10:41 am  #29

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

What number isn't going to make you say "Aha! There's the problem!"?

It's not sample size. If it were sample size, we'd see wild swings from book-to-book. We don't.

There is little to no appeal to this radio station for much of anyone under 70.

I wasn't trying to set anyone up.  Just curious what the sample size would be.  I know it isn't high for 55+ and especially those 65+. 

Zoomer maybe doing as well as they could ever do given they are AM and offer a variety mix of programming.  What other format would give them more listeners?  And does it matter since I doubt that "the book" is very important to them regardless.  Zoomer will never have a lot of national ads or agency buys. 

All the other comments I absolutely agree with.  740 is a station that puts more than an honest effort into their programming.  Or as pro sports athelete's like to say.."give 110%."

Their newscasts are excellent given they aren't a news station.  As mentioned the delivery and the casts themselves are thorough and professional.  I like what Shorty Wave mentioned that the overall sound and attitude of Zoomer is positive.  And the variety of programming is outstanding and everything I have heard well done.

And that is important to all of the old cranks like myself and a few others on here that enjoy and appreciate the station..

January 21, 2024 12:30 pm  #30

paterson1 wrote:

I wasn't trying to set anyone up.  Just curious what the sample size would be.  I know it isn't high for 55+ and especially those 65+. 

It's not particularly high in any demographic. However, Numeris still largely builds their panels by cold-calling landlines. You couldn't design a better system to over-sample AM radio if you tried.

I'll be joining the "55+" cohort in 7 years, and my oldies are centred around 90s Alternative. Time flies; 740 has mostly stood still.

2024 is going to be very interesting; it will likely be the year companies stop lugging around money-losing properties under the questionable theory that they contribute to the parent companies' overall strategies.