sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 3, 2023 11:44 am  #1

Would Having No Format Make For A Successful Radio Station?

I've always been a big believer in formats for radio stations, providing they deliver on their promises to listeners. But in a roundabout way, Corus' Alan Cross suggests in a new column that restricting music to genres isn't what a new generation of listeners seems to be interested in. 

His revelation came to him while he was teaching a class at Humber College, and asked the 20-something students to name the last five songs they played on their phones. When the answers came back as everything from Drake, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles to Garth Brooks, Avicii and even Billie Holiday, he was stunned. They didn't understand why.

“Why compartmentalize music?” someone said. “If you do, you’re just limiting your options when it comes to finding your next favourite song.” I had to admit this kid had a point."

His comments made me question whether a radio station that chooses to play a little bit of everything - rock, oldies, punk, grunge, urban, modern country, etc. etc. - would actually be able to attract a new generation of ears that has otherwise turned its back on the medium. 

I personally don't think it would work, but at this point, you have to wonder if some of the lower rated outlets would have anything to lose by trying such an experiment.

It may be time to give up on music genres 

December 3, 2023 11:56 am  #2

Re: Would Having No Format Make For A Successful Radio Station?

On the heels of the article quoted above, I just happened to find this. It's from Australia, but the rules outlined in here would appear to apply to stations everywhere. And it's almost the opposite in some ways of what Cross observes.

(USP, by the way, stands for Unique Selling Proposition, which is not made clear in the article.)

Why Radio Stations Fail

December 3, 2023 12:00 pm  #3

The kids not wrong.  I have music in my Spotify from the 50s, 60s & 70srock & roll & pop, even disco;  alternative from the 80s, dance & rave music from the 90s and new alt/rock and drum & bass from this year.

I believe it was an article shared in this forum about how LA's KIIS 102.7 was playing older top 40 songs along with newer music. They played "Love is a Battlefield" and thwn a newer song.  As recently as the 90s top 40 stations were more  rock, pop and hip-hop and the odd country tune, when compared to today.

Would I listen to a radio station that played a much MUCH wider variety of music?  Definitely. At a time where radio stations need listeners why not try a no format 'format'?  The problem is:  most radio stations are owned by big faceless conglomerates that wouldn't take the financial risk.

I think the closest radio station that already plays a very wide variety of music is Boom 97.3

December 3, 2023 12:07 pm  #4

Back in the old days (1960 etc) most radio stations had no format.   We had 2 hours a day for hit parade.....hour or so for country...mixture of everything for the AM show.....BBC discs in the evening and mellow sounds around midnight.      As the old saying goes..."everything old is new again."

December 3, 2023 12:12 pm  #5

Interesting observations, but how would you market such a station? Even Jack's infamous "Playing What We Want" didn't last all that long. And it certainly did not have the kind of range we're talking about here.

December 3, 2023 12:15 pm  #6

Jacjames wrote:

Back in the old days (1960 etc) most radio stations had no format.   We had 2 hours a day for hit parade.....hour or so for country...mixture of everything for the AM show.....BBC discs in the evening and mellow sounds around midnight.      As the old saying goes..."everything old is new again."

Very true for smaller markets. Larger markets still had their 24 hour top 40 CHUM's, CKOC's CKLW's etc.

December 3, 2023 12:28 pm  #7

CBC Radio One is successful and does well with key demos, especially well educated and high income groups.  But what would you call their format? 

They play little music, almost none hit oriented or even familiar, and they are one of the last stations where a programming guide is useful.  To me CBC Radio is a collection of shows but other than maybe saying it is public affairs and information station, I would be hard pressed to give it a format.  And none of the private stations do anything close to what CBC Radio does.  

In terms of Boom 97.3 yes they do carry a reasonable variety of music, I wish it was even wider.  However Boom and CHFI have been very successful stations in terms of ratings for a long time.  I doubt that either will deviate much until the numbers tell them it is time.

And for both of these stations, music is an important part, but just part of their success.  They have great production/promotions, strong professional live on air talent and both have a good connection to their audience. 

December 3, 2023 12:31 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

CBC Radio One is successful and does well with key demos, especially well educated and high income groups.  But what would you call their format?

Variety?

December 3, 2023 12:52 pm  #9

I am surprised that radio folks haven't noticed how the wide variety of music available at a single click today  -  has expanded the audience musical space. 

The 6 Free Form DJs at NYthespirit.com have been doing this style of programming for about 10 years. And yes - it's working very well.

For example here in alphabetical order listing (protecting my mixes) of one of my shows from a few weeks back...

A-ha – The Sun Always Shines On TV (extended mix)
Alan Parsons Project – (The System Of) Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether (1987 remix)
Amanda Lear – Hollywood Flashback
B.B. King – Lucille
Be Bop Deluxe – Surreal Estate
Benjamin Russell/Rob Stuar – Brighter Light
Beth Hart/Joe Bonamassa – Strange Fruit (live)
Blues Image – Ride Captain Ride
Bob Geldof – This Is The World Calling
Brian Eno – Baby’s On Fire
Bruce Cockburn – Call It Democracy
Bruce Springsteen – The River
Charles Aznavour & Elton John – Yesterday When I Was Young
Clash – Charlie Don’t Surf
Clash – Should I Stay Or Should I go
Dandy Warhols – We Used To Be Friends
Daniel Lanois – Power
Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin – It’s My Party
David Bowie – Thursday’s Child
David Gilmour – Smile
David Gray – Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
Depeche Mode – Soothe My Soul
Elliott Murphy – Thirty Was A Long Time Ago
Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight (live)
Ferry Aid – Let It Be
Fred Neil – Everybody’s Talkin’
Garfield – Mississippi Jimmie
Genesis – The Cinema Show
Grace Jones – Walking In The Rain
New Order – Blue Monday
Peter Murphy – All Night Long
Propellerheads feat. Shirley Bassey – History Repeating (Knee Length Mix)
Rammstein – Stripped (Heavy Mental Mix By Charlie Clouser)
Sal Solo – Heartbeat
SLAVE To The SQUAREwave – Starrs
Snowy White – In The Skies
Steve Forbert – Romeo’s Tune
Taj Mahal – Take A Giant Step
Train – Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)
Trans-Canada Highwaymen – Which Way You Goin’ Billy?
Tremeloes – Silence Is Golden
Underworld – Nylon Strung
Zwol – Southern Part Of France

Want to see more? Go here - https://rave-and-roll.com/tag/david-marsden-playlist/

December 3, 2023 1:00 pm  #10

That's a format and not very wide.

Marsden wrote:

I am surprised that radio folks haven't noticed how the wide variety of music available at a single click today  -  has expanded the audience musical space. 

The 6 Free Form DJs at NYthespirit.com have been doing this style of programming for about 10 years. And yes - it's working very well.

For example here in alphabetical order listing (protecting my mixes) of one of my shows from a few weeks back...

A-ha – The Sun Always Shines On TV (extended mix)
Alan Parsons Project – (The System Of) Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether (1987 remix)
Amanda Lear – Hollywood Flashback
B.B. King – Lucille
Be Bop Deluxe – Surreal Estate
Benjamin Russell/Rob Stuar – Brighter Light
Beth Hart/Joe Bonamassa – Strange Fruit (live)
Blues Image – Ride Captain Ride
Bob Geldof – This Is The World Calling
Brian Eno – Baby’s On Fire
Bruce Cockburn – Call It Democracy
Bruce Springsteen – The River
Charles Aznavour & Elton John – Yesterday When I Was Young
Clash – Charlie Don’t Surf
Clash – Should I Stay Or Should I go
Dandy Warhols – We Used To Be Friends
Daniel Lanois – Power
Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin – It’s My Party
David Bowie – Thursday’s Child
David Gilmour – Smile
David Gray – Say Hello, Wave Goodbye
Depeche Mode – Soothe My Soul
Elliott Murphy – Thirty Was A Long Time Ago
Eric Clapton – Wonderful Tonight (live)
Ferry Aid – Let It Be
Fred Neil – Everybody’s Talkin’
Garfield – Mississippi Jimmie
Genesis – The Cinema Show
Grace Jones – Walking In The Rain
New Order – Blue Monday
Peter Murphy – All Night Long
Propellerheads feat. Shirley Bassey – History Repeating (Knee Length Mix)
Rammstein – Stripped (Heavy Mental Mix By Charlie Clouser)
Sal Solo – Heartbeat
SLAVE To The SQUAREwave – Starrs
Snowy White – In The Skies
Steve Forbert – Romeo’s Tune
Taj Mahal – Take A Giant Step
Train – Drops Of Jupiter (Tell Me)
Trans-Canada Highwaymen – Which Way You Goin’ Billy?
Tremeloes – Silence Is Golden
Underworld – Nylon Strung
Zwol – Southern Part Of France

Want to see more? Go here - https://rave-and-roll.com/tag/david-marsden-playlist/

December 3, 2023 1:04 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Variety?

I guess Variety is vague enough to cover what they do.   I have noticed them also referred to as Public Radio or Information/Public Affairs, or Talk/Information occasionally.

December 3, 2023 1:05 pm  #12

North American formats are a little too rigid for sure. 

However....

While most people's taste is wider than any given radio format, the variation just below the surface is immense. Liking a lot of different genres is a LOT different than liking everything.

On the commercial side, TODAY radio is the closest to not having a traditional format. They just went from Taylor Swift to Steely Dan to Daft Punk. It doesn't work.

People like variety, but they want to be in control of it.

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 3, 2023 1:06 pm)

December 3, 2023 1:07 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Variety?

I guess Variety is vague enough to cover what they do.   I have noticed them also referred to as Public Radio or Information/Public Affairs, or Talk/Information occasionally.

It's a talk station. They spend less time playing music than 1010 does playing commercials. It's the most talk programming per hour on the radio. Music is just an occasional accent.

December 3, 2023 2:58 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Variety?

If you mean CBC Music 94.1 I consider the format 'Mid Tempo'. The songs are neither fast nor slow, with the occasional dirge dropped in to shake things up.

December 3, 2023 4:48 pm  #15

I find that CJRT manages to present quite a range of music by having themed shows. Different hosts and quite varied types of music. The stretch the definition of jazz to extreme but satisfying muical edges. So the station meets the criteria of a stable image, but packages music into varied formats.

December 3, 2023 11:51 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

People like variety, but they want to be in control of it.

I think that's precisely where we're at.

The only other thought that really comes to mind is that any radio host needs to know radio intimately, be expert in whatever topic is at hand, and be compelling. And I'm not sure, in this day and age of multimedia and megasensory, if radio on its own has serious legs. I have a feeling it was fun while it lasted...

December 4, 2023 2:48 am  #17

People think a non formatted station would work until they are confronted with artists they don’t know or like.
Any non formatted station would still have to play some hits from the current year from all genres. Would anyone here want to hear The Weekend, Dua Lipa, Drake, Taylor Swift, Sza, Olivia Rodrigo, Morgan Wallen, Kane Brown, Luke Combs, Travis Scott, Bad Bunny, Heartworms, Green Lung, and Maneskin along with the songs you like from Boom’s playlist all one station?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (December 4, 2023 2:49 am)

December 4, 2023 5:00 am  #18

Tomas Barlow wrote:

People think a non formatted station would work until they are confronted with artists they don’t know or like.
Any non formatted station would still have to play some hits from the current year from all genres. Would anyone here want to hear The Weekend, Dua Lipa, Drake, Taylor Swift, Sza, Olivia Rodrigo, Morgan Wallen, Kane Brown, Luke Combs, Travis Scott, Bad Bunny, Heartworms, Green Lung, and Maneskin along with the songs you like from Boom’s playlist all one station?

On top of all that, how much of this is (as required) 35-40% Canadian music?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 4, 2023 9:34 am  #19

I would tune in to a non-formatted radio station no problems. My late father used to make mix tapes that were all over the place genre wise, he would have Sinatra and Aerosmith on the same tape. I thought it odd as a teenager but somehow they worked! Still have one somewhere in my cassette collection……!