sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 18, 2023 1:33 pm  #1

When Radio Ruled At The CNE

Friday marked the first day of the CNE and - for anyone born in the GTA - the unofficial end of summer. 

A lot has changed at the Ex since I last went - I can't even count the decades since I was there - but as a kid I was always crazy about the radio stations that chose to buy space at the city's oldest fair. CHUM was certainly the most prominent, with the phrase "CHUM Checks from The Ex" becoming a regular summer idiom. The CHUM trailer was the very first place I'd always visit, hoping to see one of the DJs on duty. In those days, they were often as big a star locally as the artists they played. 

I remember seeing Bob McAdorey one afternoon and waving at him. And yes, he waved back. 

The ad below has always struck me as a bit eerie. ChumCity was what the company once became known as after taking over City TV. But when this was published in 1967, there was no City TV and no plans to take over any local Toronto television station. And for the record, it was the Princes' Gates, not Princess, a very common mistake that still gets made today. 

This insert is historic - it came as part of the very last Top 50 CHUM Chart. The next week came the introduction of the Top 30 as it would remain until the station stopped publishing them altogether.

(Courtesy: CHUM Tribute Site)

I have to admit, I don't remember CKEY's presence there, but in their Top 40 days, they were around, too. The second photo is incredible, and is courtesy of SOWNY member Doug Thompson.

But even in the days before rock, 'EY was on the grounds. In the photo below, from the City of Toronto archives, a very young Lorne Greene touts the benefits of Alka Seltzer.

I'm trying to think of other stations that were there over the years. I believe AM 740 had a presence at the Ex for a time. Maybe CHFI and EZ-Rock? Today, I'm not sure any of the local broadcasters bother renting space now, although be prepared for your TV local weather reporter to do some live hits from there, because producers can't resist the colourful backgrounds at a venue that is highly weather dependent. I seem to recall City TV's Harold Hosein was there all the time doing live hits in in the 80s and 90s.

August 18, 2023 1:56 pm  #2

Re: When Radio Ruled At The CNE

Back in the early 1980's, I remember watching Bill Lawrence do the CBC supper hour weather. Before his air time, Bill took the time to explain to the audience about the green screen behind him and how he had to look off camera to read the required information. I remember taking the NBC studio tour back in 1986. Part of the tour included a visit to the KNBC news set. The tour guide asked for a volunteer to do a weather forecast. The guide first asked the volunteer to point out the location of Los Angeles on the map of North America. His finger was at Vancouver. The guide then moved the map to meet his finger in the correct location. Definitely not as easy as it looks on tv.

August 18, 2023 2:07 pm  #3

I remember being so excited as a young teenager to go to the CKEY mobile.  Finally, there he was!  Dave Mickie wearing his gold Lamé jacket.  Later Dave would become David Marsden; or as David would say he became the character of Dave Mickie for a short period.  Dave, Big G, JP Finnigan.  They were all bigger than life to me.  Then it was a quick trip over to the CHUM mobile.  Singing in harmony were the Chumingbirds. Again, some of my favorite jocks.  All gathered in one place.  Visiting the two booths made the CNE for me.

Last edited by John D (August 18, 2023 2:08 pm)

August 18, 2023 2:44 pm  #4

I have a copy of the last 50 song CHUM CHART however either I did not get or did not save the "Time Being" insert.  A shame but the same graphic/promo was used in two or three earlier charts from the summer of 1968 which I do have.

Never realized that the great Moby Grape had a three night residency at the CNE. The Grape's management came up with the not so brilliant idea of releasing 5 singles off their first album on the same day The hype backfired but the group was brilliant nevertheless.

Also that first album's initial cover had a certain finger gesture that was air brushed out of later editions 

Noting to do with the CNE but I can't resist posting a pic of that album cover.:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 18, 2023 3:04 pm  #5

John D wrote:

I remember being so excited as a young teenager to go to the CKEY mobile.  Finally, there he was!  Dave Mickie wearing his gold Lamé jacket.  Later Dave would become David Marsden; or as David would say he became the character of Dave Mickie for a short period.  Dave, Big G, JP Finnigan.  They were all bigger than life to me.  Then it was a quick trip over to the CHUM mobile.  Singing in harmony were the Chumingbirds. Again, some of my favorite jocks.  All gathered in one place.  Visiting the two booths made the CNE for me.

Amazing as it may seem, there were kids like you excited to see a John Donabie some years later. Although I don't recall CKFH having a presence at the CNE, but I could be wrong. 

These pictures, from Doug Thompson, should bring back some memories. (Mr. Marsden is on the far left in the first one.) The cast of characters in pic #2 consists of:

J.P. Finnigan, Duff Roman, Big G Walters, Lee Vogel, Bill Brady and Mr. Marsden/Mickie, (with "that" jacket.) All are from 1963.

And finally, one from my own collection:

August 18, 2023 4:13 pm  #6

RA said, in part:

>> I'm trying to think of other stations that were there over the years. I believe AM 740 had a presence at the Ex for a time. Maybe CHFI and EZ-Rock? <<

CHFI for sure! Jared Bernatt (who was in charge of the behemoth known as Studio 98) and I
did the Ex for years on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Not sure, but Brian Master
may have done a few drive-home weekday stints, too.

I believe the Ex was the first time we broadcast from the ailing monster, which seemed to quickly
lead to being out almost every weekend at Ontario Place, Canada’s Wonderland, Cullen Gardens,
car and trade shows…all over hell’s half-acre, wherever there was a good crowd or one that we could
possibly generate. Toronto Zoo. It was quite a list and a lot of fun. Good memories.

August 18, 2023 4:39 pm  #7

Re: the CKEY line up sched. It appears Scott Cameron worked 7 nights/mornings a week. Now there is a dedicated employee. I grew up in the Trenton area so only made it to the EX sporadically as my dad was not a man to be patient in crowds. I do recall the summer Mike Cooper was in the ferris wheel for I think the entire run of the event. I was with some friends and saw him up there. I was maybe 17 or 18 then. We made the trip in my 68 Torino GT convertible with a 428 Cobra Jet and 3.91 rear gear. It got about 7 miles to the gallon. Luclily even high octane gas then was only about 50 cents a gallon lol. 

Last edited by mic'em (August 18, 2023 4:42 pm)

August 18, 2023 5:25 pm  #8

mic'em wrote:

Re: the CKEY line up sched. It appears Scott Cameron worked 7 nights/mornings a week. Now there is a dedicated employee.

Now there is a blast from the past.
Enjoyed working with Scott three times — CKKW, CHED and CJCA. Sat in with him one night when he was
doing the all-night show at ‘EY when it was on Davenport. Good guy.

August 18, 2023 5:38 pm  #9

Also worth noting that back then even the biggest personalities (i.e. Boliska) worked six days a week, including Saturday. I remember Jungle Jay Nelson doing that first day of the weekend for many years at CHUM, as well. Not sure when that changed, but a six-day week for on-air types used to be just the norm. Now it seems to stand out more. 

But seven days a week? That I've never heard of, unless one of those days was on tape. 

August 19, 2023 8:35 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

The ad below has always struck me as a bit eerie. ChumCity was what the company once became known as after taking over City TV. But when this was published in 1967, there was no City TV and no plans to take over any local Toronto television station. And for the record, it was the Princes' Gates, not Princess, a very common mistake that still gets made today. 

Given the involvement of a guy called Moses I would say this was a prophecy. Lo the coming of City-TV and its union with CHUM was foretold at the '67 Ex.

Last edited by Hansa (August 19, 2023 8:36 am)

August 19, 2023 12:45 pm  #11

Gordon Sinclair used to do a daily feature called Footloose at the Ex. I believe it was syndicated on several stations.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 19, 2023 3:05 pm  #12

Thank you John. And it was great working with you about a decade or two later at CHUM-FM. 

And I rmember Ted  Woloshyn and I working as Bent & Twisted at the CNE on the Bulova Tower. That was fun! 

And then there was Kevin OLeary, Producer of the Pete & Geets show, on the front page of the Toronto Sun riding the ferris wheel and beating all the old records. (I hae a pic of that Toronto Sun but can't find it - ooops)

Last edited by Marsden (August 19, 2023 3:06 pm)

August 19, 2023 4:15 pm  #13

Also, as RA will remember I finally got to broadcast from the CNE; when I was at CJCL.  The late great Terry Steel followed me.  John Marie Hiemrath was our promotion's director.

August 19, 2023 5:44 pm  #14

I was quite amazed to see that CHUM did not know the proper name for the Princes' Gates at the CNE CHUM's ad calls it the Princess Gates.  It was not named for a princess but rather two male princes -- Edward and George in 1927.
Both princes attended the CNE that year and the city named the gates to honour them -- not any princess.
OH I just notices RA has already made a note of this but it is no harm to repeat it.

Last edited by newsguy1 (August 19, 2023 5:50 pm)