sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2023 9:36 am  #1

Did Anyone Watch Something Other Than Walter Cronkite For This?

July 20th is the 54th anniversary of "That giant leap for mankind," the very first moon landing. I remember that incredible moment when Walter Cronkite turned to his guest host and simply said, "Whew!" (He would later confess to being embarrassed by the outburst, admitting he was so overwhelmed by the achievement that he couldn't think of anything else to say!)

I was thinking about this on the anniversary, realizing that almost every other TV station and network carried it, but I've yet to meet anyone who says they watched anything else but CBS and "Uncle Walter." That is my fundamental memory of that day, and I'm not sure I could even tell you who was on the other channels. (The listing below shows what the other networks were up to, but I never saw any of them. As for what the Canadian stations did, it's anyone's guess. But safe to say Lloyd Robertson was probably involved.)

If you were around back then, do you remember watching the coverage? If so, which network did you choose?

July 20, 2023 11:11 am  #2

Re: Did Anyone Watch Something Other Than Walter Cronkite For This?

I remember flipping around the dial a bit.  Didn't exclusively watch Walter.  Also I remember CTV with Harvey Kirk had decent coverage.  Nathan Phillips Square in Toronto had about 10,000 people show up and watch the moon landing on a huge screen at city hall.  They were showing CTV's broadcast.

As for what Canadian stations did, is anyone's guess??  RA please, how can you be so clueless.  Your disinterest and lack of knowledge on Canadian TV is embarrassing.  Guess that's why you yammer on about US TV and radio so much no matter how unimportant or trivial.   CTV and CBC both had wall to wall coverage.

This pic has been posted various times on SOWNY...funny how some people choose to block it out.

Last edited by paterson1 (July 20, 2023 11:14 am)

July 20, 2023 11:40 am  #3

paterson1 wrote:

how can you be so clueless.  Your disinterest and lack of knowledge on Canadian TV is embarrassing.   

The clueless & embarrassing contributor to SOWNY is arguably not the moderator

July 20, 2023 12:35 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

As for what Canadian stations did, is anyone's guess??  RA please, how can you be so clueless.  Your disinterest and lack of knowledge on Canadian TV is embarrassing.  Guess that's why you yammer on about US TV and radio so much no matter how unimportant or trivial.   CTV and CBC both had wall to wall coverage.

Wow. You can turn almost anything I say into a supposed bashing of Canadian TV. I can assure you as the author, there was absolutely no intention to denigrate those north of the border in my message. 

This was a totally innocent memory of having watched Walter Cronkite and only Walter Cronkite at the time. It was not to imply (nor does it say anywhere) that Canadians didn't cover it or didn't do a good job on the story, just that Cronkite was such a part of the coverage in my mind that he was almost like a fourth astronaut. I'm sure I'm not the only one who watched him. But I never saw any other coverage, and that includes Canada's. That's not a blight on us, just a fact that you've totally twisted for some reason. (You can see a CTV ad for the coverage below.)

Cronkite is most associated with not only the moon landing, but also the Kennedy assassination. And yes, Canadian TV covered the latter story as well. And they were probably really good at it, too. But again, my sole memory of that event was Cronkite's infamous announcement confirming Kennedy's death, taking off his glasses and briefly choking up. It remains one of the most iconic moments in TV history. 

That's all this post was about. Nothing on whether Canada's coverage was inferior or better. Nothing about the anchors' talents, which I'm assuming were considerable on both sides of the border. Not everything I write is about the good and bad of Canadian TV. This was simply a nostalgic comment about a very big day in human history. 

How you read it as something else may, in fact, say more about you than me. As Sigmund Freud noted a very long time ago, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."  

And for the record, I've never seen that picture of City Hall before, so thanks for posting it. I always enjoy learning more about history, TV or otherwise. 

July 20, 2023 12:52 pm  #5

I watched Cronkite. I remember getting out of bed late at night to watch it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 20, 2023 1:41 pm  #6

Hi RA,
I seem to remember it was Walt on the CBC feed.   To watch this event we schleped an old black and white TV from my grandparents up to the cottage at Catchacomma Narrows.  I rigged up a large old antenna on a piece of conduit pipe attached to the cottage and used some old brown two wire cable run to the TV.   We either received CHEX ch12 or CKVR ch 3 (or some repeater).  I had my sisters turn on the TV and I manually rotated the antenna until they screamed what channel looked the best.
As the picture was coming live from the moon, I went down to the dock to see a moonlit night and looked up to the skies at he moon itself to see what was thought to be a techno miracle.   Hard to fathom at the time!

July 20, 2023 1:48 pm  #7

Interesting. I was just a kid myself at the time, but I also remember going to a window and looking up at the moon, trying to fathom how two people could be up there. It really was an amazing night, and I consider it perhaps the greatest moment in human history. Using a computer that could barely power an early calculator, they made it there and back. It's still pretty astonishing. 

July 20, 2023 2:06 pm  #8

My recently-retired barber told me that he dragged a TV out to his backyard, hooked up the rabbit ears, and watched the moon as he watched the broadcast of the moon landing.

July 20, 2023 2:22 pm  #9

I too remember watching only Walter.  I was a kid in Vancouver at the time.
I watched everything from the landing to the first step to the takeoff back into space and then the splashdown on earth.
Years later as an adult in the 90s I had a chance encounter with Walter himself in a hotel dining room in Moscow.
He told me he was there to do a documentary on the Russian space program.
The moon never ended for him.

July 20, 2023 2:26 pm  #10

I've published this here before, but here's the article Walter Cronkite wrote for TV Guide on the occasion of the first moon landing. 

July 20, 2023 2:51 pm  #11

I believe Charles Templeton helmed CTV's coverage. I suspect most people in Toronto would have watched Cronkite unless reception was an issue.

July 20, 2023 2:54 pm  #12

At the time we were in an area that had only one TV channel. CKNX in Wingham was a CBC affiliate and they showed the Cronkite version.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

July 20, 2023 2:56 pm  #13

georgio1 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

how can you be so clueless.  Your disinterest and lack of knowledge on Canadian TV is embarrassing.   

No argument about it.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 20, 2023 2:59 pm  #14

This video brings back memories...

July 20, 2023 3:31 pm  #15

July 20, 2023 4:05 pm  #16

It's been somewhat lost to history, but there was something else dramatic that happened on that day. An idiot teen who took down his pants to taunt passers-by in traffic tripped and landed on another guy. And the headline read, "Moon Lands On Man."

And yes, I was already sorry before I even wrote that. 

July 20, 2023 5:51 pm  #17

RadioActive wrote:

July 20th is the 54th anniversary of "That giant leap for mankind,"  <snip>

If you were around back then, do you remember watching the coverage?

I was a young teenager on vacation in Vancouver with my family.  We watched the broadcast on multiple TV's set up in Science World (I think it was called the "Planetarium" back then).

The Foxer wrote:

I rigged up a large old antenna on a piece of conduit pipe attached to the cottage and used some old brown two wire cable run to the TV.   We either received CHEX ch12 or CKVR ch 3 (or some repeater).  I had my sisters turn on the TV and I manually rotated the antenna until they screamed what channel looked the best

Funny to think The Foxer had more difficulty receiving the local transmission, than NASA did from the moon!

July 20, 2023 6:18 pm  #18

RIYL: 'The Dish', about the Australians tending the satellite dish responsible for the transmissions of the landing.

July 20, 2023 6:36 pm  #19

Maybo wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

georgio1 wrote:

No argument about it.

Yeah, I’ll add an amen to that.

My apology to RA, georgio 1, Dale Patterson, Maybo and anyone else that read my post that I didn't like what I said.

For whatever reason I remember some of the coverage of the moon landing and lead up on other networks and channels in addition to Walter on CBS.  I remember sampling CBS, NBC, ABC, CTV and CBC.  A couple of the networks (CBS, NBC and CTV) actually had a very early form of computer animation models to help explain the landing and what it would look like. 

This topic with the same photos as today's post came up last year and the year before on this date initiated by RA.

Both times the reference to the huge crowd at city hall (in fact it was 30,000 at Nathan Philips Square watching CTV coverage on the giant screen) was posted by me.  Two years ago a posting of the photo of Harvey Kirk and CTV coverage was provided. Last year a link that also showed photos from the Toronto Star how Torontonians took to the street to watch the landing on a hot summer night in the city in addition to the CTV photo with Harvey. 

So that is why I reacted to the comment of what the Canadian networks were doing was "anyone's guess." 

In fact what CTV was doing had already been brought up least twice in the past two years.   I remember this as being a significant thing since I am not sure a giant screen had ever been set up outside at Toronto city hall for a live TV event.  Especially an event as monumental as this.  

RA in fairness, you seem to have a habit of trivializing and a rather condescending attitude regarding Canadian broadcasting. I know you will deny this however  your many posts on this subject seem to confirm that tendency.  The comment as "anyone's guess" to me was another example of this.  

However the reaction to my comments is well taken, and I will do better in the future and tone down my own rhetoric. 

Last edited by paterson1 (July 20, 2023 6:42 pm)

July 20, 2023 7:40 pm  #20

I don't think your apology is necessary but thanks. I think we both misread each other. All I was really saying was that I watched CBS for this event and I never tuned in anywhere else. So of course I had no idea what Canadian stations were doing. I was actually surprised to hear from many here that CBC took the Cronkite coverage. 

As far as running this in past years, instituted by yours truly, that does not surprise me. I have trouble remembering what I posted last week, let alone three years ago. I've checked some of those since you mentioned it and in this case, the question was about where you watched, not just the fact that it happened. And remember, we constantly have newcomers here who never saw any of those posts. But it's a fair criticism and I'll try to check before I do a perennial. 

As for my denigration of some (not all) Canadian shows, that's just my opinion, mostly of the early days of Canuck TV and I have a right to that opinion, right or wrong. For far too long, our television had a cheap look to it that even another Canadian troupe, SCTV. used to satirize. The quality is much better now that technology has changed and it's not as expensive to get that polished appearance that American shows always seemed to have and for too long, we didn't. 

I do watch some home grown programs - Transplant for one. I'm happy for the cast that it's back on NBC, although I don't think there's any question it's only because of the strikes. And I've grown fond of Son of a Critch, even though I wasn't knocked out by it when it first started. But anything with Malcolm McDowell and radio can't be all bad. I wonder if the U.S. audience will relate to it on the CW. That should be interesting to see and whether Americans tune in and will get the Newfoundland references.  

July 20, 2023 10:46 pm  #21

So it was 54 years ago. I was 11 years old and all we got where I grew up was CBC.  And the way I remember it, CBC had Lloyd Robertson and Gordon Donaldson (I loved imitating his Scottish accent), and it dipped in and out of CBS coverage anchored by Mr. Cronkite.
I was at Grandma and Grandpa's when the REM landed, and home in time to watch the walk.
That's how I remember it.

July 21, 2023 7:14 am  #22

paterson1 wrote:

in fairness, you seem to have a habit of trivializing and a rather condescending attitude  

That is "fairness"?

July 21, 2023 2:25 pm  #23

What I remember about that Sunday night was that there was a huge tropo opening from Erie, Rochester and Syracuse. There was a watchable picture on every channel. No UHF on the family set back then. We decided to watch the event on ch 4 with Uncle Walter.

July 21, 2023 10:59 pm  #24

Hansa wrote:

I believe Charles Templeton helmed CTV's coverage. I suspect most people in Toronto would have watched Cronkite unless reception was an issue.

Actually, it was Harvey Kirck who did the majority of CTV's coverage of the Apollo 11 moon mission. As the Harvster mentioned in his autobiography "Nobody Calls Me Mr. Kirck",CTV aired video from NBC's coverage of the event, which was sponsored by Gulf Oil. Harv said that they had a production assistant in the control room who would holler "Gulf" at the top of her lungs each time the logo would appear on NBC's coverage and the delay would allow CTV to cut away before it appeared on Canadian TV screens.