sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2022 2:43 pm  #1

Is CTV Toronto's News Short Staffed, On Vacation Or Just Not Caring?

I generally watch CTV Toronto's noon and 6 PM news as my chosen daily wrap up. But in the past few weeks, I've noticed something missing from the various shows. And it happened again on Monday. 

For four out of the past six days, they've had at least one of the two shows (and sometimes both) without a weather person. I'm not sure what's going on with Michelle Jobin, but she's been absent without any explanation. This has forced one of the anchors to basically ad lib the forecasts, as the maps go by with no real details about what they mean. In one case, there was a significant rain warning that would have really been aided with someone able to interpret the front moving in. But instead, we got the briefest rushed mention and the segment was over. 

Not even CHCH, which has a far smaller newsroom and budget, goes without a fulltime weather person. Global has three or four, depending on the series of shows and City has a number, as well. CBC partners with the Weather Network for its 6 PM forecasts and there's always someone on camera. Almost all have at least one meteorologist on staff.

On some days, CTV has no one. Why can't CFTO keep this department staffed or at the very least leverage a CP24 person when they're caught short? It's an embarrassment in Canada's major market and its supposed #1 newscast. 

But it's not just the weather that presages stormy seas. They've also had their anchors woefully try out sports highlights, which generally consists of explaining who was playing who, a single highlight, and a score. That's it. Most games have a lot of other stuff going on. But there's no one on CTV to report or analyze what it means, and the anchors' attempts are simply embarrassing. They clearly have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

And another telltale sign - a few days ago, there was a shooting in St. Catharines, a place not known for such violence. All they had was copy. No camera person was sent to get a clip or viz of the scene. Normally, they would have been all over it. 

That same day, there was a 7-car pile-up in nearby Hamilton. That would likely have made for some pretty spectacular pics, but again, it was a copy only story with no viz. (And anyone who's ever worked in TV news knows the value of "good pictures," regardless of how important the story may be.) But they clearly hadn't sent anyone there, either. 

So are they shorthanded due to summer vacations, have they cut back on staff (as the cheapskates at Bell often do) or is there something else going on? Whatever the case, this just isn't acceptable in the top market in Canada. I hope it's short-lived. But I can't help but wonder if it's the new normal at Channel 9 Court.

June 13, 2022 3:12 pm  #2

Re: Is CTV Toronto's News Short Staffed, On Vacation Or Just Not Caring?

CHCH didn't have pictures of the York Blvd accident either, 10 minutes from their new digs

June 13, 2022 3:18 pm  #3

I honestly don’t understand why Bell is starving their flagship of certain resources. Other CTV stations don’t seem to have this problem. At this point, CP24 might as well take over producing the news on CFTO.

Last edited by ED1 (June 13, 2022 3:19 pm)

June 13, 2022 3:50 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

I honestly don’t understand why Bell is starving their flagship of certain resources. Other CTV stations don’t seem to have this problem. At this point, CP24 might as well take over producing the news on CFTO.

I've always said, since Bell owns TSN, they should have kept Joe Tilley as a TSN employee and gone to sports from the TSN sports desk for Sports news. CFTO/CTV Toronto should just shut down their weather department and go to weather from the CP24 weather department. 
That way there is always someone available to cover these things both better, and in better detail. 

Even Citynews goes to Sportsnet for sports, at least on week-ends. Good for them! 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

June 13, 2022 5:26 pm  #5

Gone are the days of Dave Devall!

June 13, 2022 5:36 pm  #6

June 13, 2022 6:06 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

What a great photo! Dave always looked through those "double O's" like glasses at the end of his weather forecast

June 13, 2022 6:46 pm  #8

I am wondering if it is more a internal CTV Toronto newsroom problem than something larger.   Over the last few years when I watch CFTO news I have noticed a certain "chip on the shoulder" attitude from some of their on air people.  A few news people who don't like having to read the sports and put little or no effort into it.  Almost like they are trying to teach management a lesson. 

Same with the weather. Some of the fill in weather people are not very good and if the news anchor does the forecast it almost embarrassing to see the poor effort.  For the number one newscast in Canada's biggest market at times it is pretty bush league.   I have no idea why they aren't better staffed and in this situation.  Here in Kitchener CTV normally has three weather people, and two reporters who seem qualified to do the reports. 

This chippy attitude does not come across on other CTV or Bell stations like CP24, CTV Kitchener, London or Barrie.  Doesn't even happen with CTV News Channel or the National News which is out of Toronto. But local CTV Toronto on their evening and late night package, some of the on air talent are putting in a mediocre effort, or seem unhappy.  Maybe the station has been number one for so long now, they are just on cruise.  

June 13, 2022 11:25 pm  #9

cynical theory 🤔🤨🤫

summer vacations + other burnt out employees suddenly "getting covid" = shortages in on-air talent

June 13, 2022 11:42 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

I am wondering if it is more a internal CTV Toronto newsroom problem than something larger.   Over the last few years when I watch CFTO news I have noticed a certain "chip on the shoulder" attitude from some of their on air people.  A few news people who don't like having to read the sports and put little or no effort into it.  Almost like they are trying to teach management a lesson. 

Same with the weather. Some of the fill in weather people are not very good and if the news anchor does the forecast it almost embarrassing to see the poor effort.  For the number one newscast in Canada's biggest market at times it is pretty bush league.   I have no idea why they aren't better staffed and in this situation.  Here in Kitchener CTV normally has three weather people, and two reporters who seem qualified to do the reports. 

This chippy attitude does not come across on other CTV or Bell stations like CP24, CTV Kitchener, London or Barrie.  Doesn't even happen with CTV News Channel or the National News which is out of Toronto. But local CTV Toronto on their evening and late night package, some of the on air talent are putting in a mediocre effort, or seem unhappy.  Maybe the station has been number one for so long now, they are just on cruise.  

=12px

[url=https://gta.boardhost.com/profile.php?id=30 wrote:

Radiowiz[/url]]=12pxI've always said, since Bell owns TSN, they should have kept Joe Tilley as a TSN employee and gone to sports from the TSN sports desk for Sports news. CFTO/CTV Toronto should just shut down their weather department and go to weather from the CP24 weather department.  

It just feels like management is slowly chipping away at CFTO's resources to a point where Bell will take away responsibility of producing CFTO News from the national news division and give it to CP24. 

June 14, 2022 8:22 am  #11

CFTO's Toronto newsroom has definitely seen better days.

1972: (I believe the anchor shown is Joe Mariash. Notice that the newscast started at 6:30, not 6 PM.)

1974: (When it was still "Gordon.")

1991: (Last I heard, Wheeler was working for Global News. Could there be a lamer slogan than "News That Work?")

June 14, 2022 9:32 am  #12

Actually, I do recall a short time where CFTO news would start at 6:30 and go until 7:30. 
(this is back when they first decided to expand from 30 minutes to a full hour newscast, I believe...?)

June 14, 2022 10:22 am  #13

Radiowiz wrote:

Actually, I do recall a short time where CFTO news would start at 6:30 and go until 7:30. 
(this is back when they first decided to expand from 30 minutes to a full hour newscast, I believe...?)

I believe they went from 6:30-7:30 for over a decade, up until 1988. For years they had a sitcom at 6:00.

June 14, 2022 4:24 pm  #14

Yes.. it was well over a decade they ran World Beat News at 6:30... I beleive they were also the last station in Southern Ontario to drop film and acquire video ENG gear and the last to computerize their newsroom. 

Being first was never their thing LOL.

June 14, 2022 5:23 pm  #15

zed wrote:

Yes.. it was well over a decade they ran World Beat News at 6:30... I beleive they were also the last station in Southern Ontario to drop film and acquire video ENG gear and the last to computerize their newsroom. 

Being first was never their thing LOL.

CBC was quite late with film as well. Retrontario used to have an 11pm newscast from CBLT from the summer of 1984 on YouTube (long ago deleted - I think it was on his original “WNED17” channel) in which most of the reports were on film - even the Blue Jays highlights.

June 15, 2022 1:37 pm  #16

Michelle Jobin returned on Wednesday's noon show for the first time in at least a week. It's clear they simply don't have enough back-up. No other newscast in this market is so poorly staffed in this important area, especially when there are stormy skies and weather warnings out. 

You can argue that the forecast is easier to get on your phone, and you're probably right. But it's one of the most important features for this viewer and I suspect I'm not alone, and it drives me crazy when they slough it off as an afterthought. Anchor weather just doesn't work, especially when they clearly are ad libbing their way through it and have never seen the maps before. 

June 15, 2022 7:57 pm  #17

Here's the best example of a news anchor delivering the weather under protest

https://youtu.be/oQx3OSRj23Y

June 15, 2022 8:44 pm  #18

RadioActive wrote:

You can argue that the forecast is easier to get on your phone, and you're probably right. But it's one of the most important features for this viewer and I suspect I'm not alone, and it drives me crazy when they slough it off as an afterthought. Anchor weather just doesn't work, especially when they clearly are ad libbing their way through it and have never seen the maps before. 

CBC in Alberta has subscribed to that belief. The weather forecast on their 6 PM news on CBC Calgary and Edmonton is literally just the 3-day forecast with music for 15 seconds. 

And yet, Radio-Canada in Alberta has a weather presenter. Go figure.

Last edited by ED1 (June 15, 2022 8:45 pm)

June 16, 2022 10:17 am  #19

"And yet, Radio-Canada in Alberta has a weather presenter."

CBC French language service has a seemingly bottomless supply of on-air talent. I have watched Le Telejournal Midi (CBLFT-DT) for the last 2 years and a new face shows up during the 1/2 hour almost every day. It's quite something to see ... a demonstration of how apart this particular broadcaster operates in comparison to .. well, every other station in the country. The broadcast, of course, originates from Montreal.

June 26, 2022 6:12 pm  #20

Whoops, they did it again. CTV Toronto didn't have a weather person on either one of its weekend newscasts. They had Rahmi Ladhani stumble his way through Saturday's forecast, taken by surprise by an establishing CN Tower shot when he was trying to intro a temperature map, and then clearly making small errors as the maps he wasn't ready for came up. 

I don't want to repeat myself over and over, but I simply can't understand how every other Toronto station can manage a weekend weather person but somehow CFTO cannot. 

Surely they can hire someone at least part time to fill the Saturday and Sunday shifts. (And I'm not calling you Shirley.) It really looks bad on them.  

June 26, 2022 7:43 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

I don't want to repeat myself over and over, but I simply can't understand how every other Toronto station can manage a weekend weather person but somehow CFTO cannot. 

Surely they can hire someone at least part time to fill the Saturday and Sunday shifts. (And I'm not calling you Shirley.) It really looks bad on them.  

Actually, Rogers was very smart. Michelle Mackey was live on location at a Jazz festival that she was "Jazzed up to be at" (her words, her joke, not mine! lol) 
Double duty. A live reporter live on location for Citynews, also doing weather instead of just having a reporter sent out with no one to do weather. 

June 26, 2022 7:50 pm  #22

They do this all the time with weather person Jessica Smith, where she does some community story and then does the weather. That's fine, normally. But where she was on this weekend, I have no idea. 

CTV is getting ridiculous about this. I've seen Smith on their national morning wake-up show, which means she's not available for use later on in the day locally You can't have this many shows and not enough staff members to be on them. It's cheesy, unprofessional and your competition always seems to have someone handy, making you look bad in the process. 

I just can't understand how they can let this go on in the major market in Canada.

June 26, 2022 11:56 pm  #23

Jessica Smith also talks too fast. It's hard to understand her at times.

June 27, 2022 12:01 am  #24

She also has a nasty habit of saying the word "But" at least 100 times in each weather forecast. 

June 27, 2022 6:11 pm  #25

I know most of you are radio people, but as a TV professional, I find this really unacceptable. An entire story plus live shot containing subjects that aren't properly focused. This should not be happening on the supposed #1 TV station in the #1 market in the country.

Either fix/replace the ENG camera, or find another shooter who knows how to rack focus.