sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 30, 2022 11:14 pm  #1

Jeopardy! pilot from 1964

Jeopardy! has released a never-before aired pilot of the show from 1964, in honour of the 58th anniversary of the show’s first episode on NBC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGeAosjw3S8

Some things have obviously changed, notably the host, but some things about the show haven’t changed after all these decades.

March 31, 2022 12:23 am  #2

Re: Jeopardy! pilot from 1964

I grew up on this show and was a big fan of it - even though I was rarely home from school in time to see it. (I think it aired at noon on NBC, but I could be wrong.) I do remember Art Fleming later hosted a talk show on KMOX radio in St. Louis, and I used to occasionally listen to that. (By the way, Art Fleming was not his full name. His last name was Fazzin, but he never used it.) 

While I still like the Jeopardy format, my all time favourite version of the show was on VH1 in the U.S., a contest called "Rock & Roll Jeopardy." All the categories were music related and it was a challenging and fun show to watch. I wasn't crazy about Jeff Probst (of "Survivior" fame) as the host, but it was entertaining enough that it didn't really interfere. 

I wish it was still being made. 

Here are a few episodes, if you've never seen it. There are more on YouTube if you want to test yourself further.

March 31, 2022 1:40 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I grew up on this show and was a big fan of it - even though I was rarely home from school in time to see it. (I think it aired at noon on NBC, but I could be wrong.) I do remember Art Fleming later hosted a talk show on KMOX radio in St. Louis, and I used to occasionally listen to that. (By the way, Art Fleming was not his full name. His last name was Fazzin, but he never used it.) 

While I still like the Jeopardy format, my all time favourite version of the show was on VH1 in the U.S., a contest called "Rock & Roll Jeopardy." All the categories were music related and it was a challenging and fun show to watch. I wasn't crazy about Jeff Probst (of "Survivior" fame) as the host, but it was entertaining enough that it didn't really interfere. 

I wish it was still being made. 

Here are a few episodes, if you've never seen it. There are more on YouTube if you want to test yourself further.

I remember Rock N Roll Jeopardy aired on MuchMoreMusic in Canada.

March 31, 2022 10:56 am  #4

That's a great clip!!

Watched the show as a school kid during at home lunch hours in the 60's

And that ever familiar voice of announcer Don Pardo. What a great career he had! 

March 31, 2022 11:17 am  #5

In its first season, Jeopardy occupied the 11;30 timeslot. When it moved to Noon in season two, it attracted a large audience of college students and businessmen on their lunch break. When NBC premiered Hollywood Squares in 1966 in Jeopardy's original timeslot, it gave NBC a lethal ratings boost until 1974 when Art Fleming's show was moved to 1:30pm and got destroyed by As The World Turns.

March 31, 2022 11:23 am  #6

I loved the Hollywood Squares - the Peter Marshall years, not the later ones. It was hilarious most days, even if the celebrities "discerned the answers," as the caveat at the end credits pointed out. 

In Marshall's autobiography, he notes that when he was approached to host the game show, he turned it down flat, having already been successful in a comedy act and as a song and dance man. But when they offered the gig to Dan Rowan, later of Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, another of my faves, Marshall changed his mind. 

Why? He absolutely hated Dan Rowan and didn't want to let him have the exposure that a network game show would bring - so he took the job! The rest, as they say, is TV history...

March 31, 2022 2:30 pm  #7

Anyone catch the ham radio reference from one of the contestants? She proudly announced her call letters and her husband’s call letters.

April 1, 2022 9:23 am  #8

One of the best lines ever on the Peter Marshall hosted game show came from almost always center square Paul Lynde. When Marshall asked the question "After marriage what replaces sex?" Lynde's response "Your wife!" The correct answer was food. I can't remember if the contestant was awarded the square.

April 1, 2022 11:31 am  #9

MJ Vancouver wrote:

Jeopardy! has released a never-before aired pilot of the show from 1964, in honour of the 58th anniversary of the show’s first episode on NBC.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kGeAosjw3S8

Some things have obviously changed, notably the host, but some things about the show haven’t changed after all these decades.

If it's the pilot how can they have "yesterday's champion"? Was that just a conceit?

April 2, 2022 1:45 pm  #10

mace wrote:

In its first season, Jeopardy occupied the 11;30 timeslot. When it moved to Noon in season two, it attracted a large audience of college students and businessmen on their lunch break. When NBC premiered Hollywood Squares in 1966 in Jeopardy's original timeslot, it gave NBC a lethal ratings boost until 1974 when Art Fleming's show was moved to 1:30pm and got destroyed by As The World Turns.

NBC didn't immediately bury Jeopardy! at 1:30 PM. NBC put J! up against CBS' The $10,000 Pyramid at 10:30 AM in January 1974 (ABC not programming in that timeslot). J! managed to do in Pyramid and keep up with its replacement, Gambit.

April 2, 2022 8:08 pm  #11

Methinks nothing will reveal the character, ego, and good sportsmanship of a person faster than watching a couple of Jeopardy shows with a friend or family member, especially if one of you is much better or worse at coming up with the correct questions.

April 4, 2022 9:17 am  #12

betaylored wrote:

Methinks nothing will reveal the character, ego, and good sportsmanship of a person faster than watching a couple of Jeopardy shows with a friend or family member, especially if one of you is much better or worse at coming up with the correct questions.

Watching that pilot episode, I think I got about six answers correct. I wouldn't be a good contestant.

April 4, 2022 9:46 am  #13

OK, confession time. I used to have one of those big 10' satellite dishes in my backyard, which I've written about before. One of the things owners of those big contraptions used to be able to get was something called Wild Feeds - shows being fed back to a network or stations so they could air them at their regular time. 

Many of them were fed at 2 or 3 in the morning, but if you knew where to look, you could find them fairly easily and record them before they actually went to air. 

And now my admission of shame - I used to record that day's feed of Jeopardy and watch it in the morning before I went to work. Many people in the newsroom would have it on and sort of challenge each other to come up with the questions, as they ramped up for the 11 PM news, still some four hours away. 

They were mightily impressed with how I seemed to always know most of the answers and got so much right, and some there thought I was something of a genius! The truth - which almost always comes out - is that I knew the answers because I'd gotten a sneak peek at the show before anyone else. So to me it was a rerun! 

There. I've admitted it. I'm not better at Jeopardy than anyone else. As they used to say about Alex Trebek, it's easy to look smart when you have the answers written down in front of you! Or at least seen them beforehand!

April 11, 2022 7:16 pm  #14

Mattea Roach of Halifax & Toronto is today a 5-time winner, which is notable, as Canadian contestants (incl. John Moore & Kevin O'Leary) often got stung by US political and historical questions.     Has a Canadian ever achieved 5 times before?    

April 13, 2022 1:53 pm  #15

geo wrote:

Mattea Roach of Halifax & Toronto is today a 5-time winner, which is notable, as Canadian contestants (incl. John Moore & Kevin O'Leary) often got stung by US political and historical questions.     Has a Canadian ever achieved 5 times before?    

Yes. In 1983, Bob Blake, a Vancouver actuary won $82,501 over his five day appearance. Back then, contestants were retired after their 5th victory. Also, the maximum winnings were capped at $75.000. The overage was donated to a charity of Blake's choice.

April 13, 2022 7:02 pm  #16

Oh! Canada