sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2021 6:27 pm  #1

Did You Book Your Booster/Or Had It Already?

I know this isn't broadcast related but out of interest-
Have you been able to book your appointment for the booster yet, and for when?  

Have you had the third shot already?

Went on the Region of Waterloo COVID site this afternoon.  The cover page said to prevent crashing the site was staggering registrations and it was a 38 minute wait

If you wanted to wait, naturally you can't close the page.  I went to do a few things on line and came back to the region site which I still had up and it now was a 24 minute wait.  I had only been away for about 5 minutes.  So don't be fooled by the initial wait time if something like this comes up.   The page may be refreshed two or three times per minute.  I only ended up waiting about 15 minutes before I was able to book my appointment on January 3rd. 

Happy booking everyone and good luck! 

December 20, 2021 6:59 pm  #2

Re: Did You Book Your Booster/Or Had It Already?

Here in the Ottawa Valley, was quick and easy to book through the Renfrew County & District Health Unit website.  On Friday, as soon as they started opening up more appointments, got my wife & myself (both under 50) booked for the same day and time near the end of this month, at the local arena.  Father-in-law on the QC side, who yesterday became an octogenarian, gets his third on the 28th in Campbell's Bay.

Last edited by Forward Power (December 20, 2021 10:54 pm)

December 20, 2021 6:59 pm  #3

Booked for Dec. 28th. 

December 20, 2021 7:47 pm  #4

I am under 50 so I am part of a crowd that has to wait until February due to nothing else available.
I did everything correctly. 
I called in at 7:58 am, but had to call back and try again. Got through at 8AM and remained on the line with a landline (so no worry about battery life, lol) on hold for an hour and a half. 
They recommended keeping the appointment and trying again in a week to see if anything sooner is available. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 20, 2021 7:54 pm  #5

Under 50 and got mine today. City-run (not Toronto) drive through clinic. Very efficient. 

December 20, 2021 8:09 pm  #6

Got ours on Dec 9.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

December 20, 2021 8:11 pm  #7

No booster for me until the second week of January - and at a pharmacy. Not that I haven't tried to find one elsewhere! The way the portal I used works is idiotic. They show you a calendar, but you can only book 10 days in advance. They force you to click on every date that fits in that timeline - and of course, you're told there are no openings on any of them. 

Meanwhile, you sit there clicking over and over. Why not just list the days or times that ARE available and stop wasting everyone's time? If there's an opening, grab it. If not, make the process less cumbersome. It only adds to the frustration. 

December 20, 2021 8:14 pm  #8

Jabuary (I mean January) 6th I'm afraid - although that's early compared to some.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

December 20, 2021 8:14 pm  #9

The provincial portal is the worst. If your municipality has their own, use it. I've also heard very good things about Wal-Mart's (of all places) booking system.

December 20, 2021 8:21 pm  #10

Used Shoppers Drug Mart web page last Friday,  to book my third (booster) shot at a Pickering store on December 27th.  A very quick and straightforward process.

December 20, 2021 8:21 pm  #11

Social media is littered with stories and complaints from people who have booked a booster, stood in line for over an hour, only to be told last minute the whole thing has been canceled. Often it's children with their parents, senior citizens and the disabled in these lines waiting for nothing out in the freezing cold weather.

I had my booked and then it got canceled so I will be rebooking as soon as I can. The Vaccine Hunters group is doing terrific work again and Twitter is an excellent place to stay up to date on possible opportunities.

The other tricky thing, is the Moderna or Pfizer booster the best choice. WSJ article says Pfizer but I've also read the Moderna is stronger than Pfizer. At least by now we know the most important thing is to just get the darn booster as soon as we can..

I did get my regular flu shot in November, so I've got that going for me to quote Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

Everybody's had their regular flu shot already too right?

Last edited by betaylored (December 20, 2021 8:22 pm)

December 20, 2021 8:23 pm  #12

What's really aggravating is the arbitrariness of the rules. There's a pop-up clinic at a nearby school that would be very convenient for me. If you're getting your first or second shot, come on over and wait in line. You'll eventually get in. 

But if you're there for a booster, well, then you need an appointment. And of course, those are all gone. 

Why the difference? It's inexplicable and they don't even try to outline the reasons for it. Likely because there are none.

December 20, 2021 8:25 pm  #13

Got my Jab#3 Booster Dec 9th .. flavour = Pfizer.

I was early eligible as my Jab1&2 were both AZ.

So Jab1 March, Jab2 June & Jab3 Dec.

My experience is Rexall is head & shoulders slicker at booking these Covid vaccine jabs. 

December 20, 2021 8:28 pm  #14

betaylored wrote:

The other tricky thing, is the Moderna or Pfizer booster the best choice. WSJ article says Pfizer but I've also read the Moderna is stronger than Pfizer. At least by now we know the most important thing is to just get the darn booster as soon as we can..

Reports indicate many clinics are running out of Pfizer and are substituting Moderna instead. Wouldn't bother me, but I recall a certain federal party leader telling Evan Solomon in his year-ender this past weekend that there will be more than enough vaccines for everyone.

He just didn't bother to say when.

Seems we've seen this movie before, although people have short memories and forget the exact same scenario unfolded last year, too.

December 20, 2021 8:34 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

What's really aggravating is the arbitrariness of the rules. There's a pop-up clinic at a nearby school that would be very convenient for me. If you're getting your first or second shot, come on over and wait in line. You'll eventually get in. 

But if you're there for a booster, well, then you need an appointment. And of course, those are all gone. 

Why the difference? It's inexplicable and they don't even try to outline the reasons for it. Likely because there are none.

That makes some sense to me, as those who are unvaccinated are at significantly higher risk than those just needing a booster. Plus, they're likely from the "hesitant" group, and I'd want to make sure to not put any roadblocks in their way and have them retreat.

December 20, 2021 8:43 pm  #16

Perhaps. But it still seems like everyone else can come in but you - well, you need to be cleared by the powers-that-be. There's also the fact that those of us who are a bit older are more at risk and likely more in need of a booster shot than even unvaccinated younger folks. But in the end, it's all a crapshoot. 

My neighbour got his two weeks ago. Stopped into a local Shoppers and they gave it to him on the spot. Luck of the draw, I guess. 

December 20, 2021 9:22 pm  #17

Got Jab #3 just over 2 weeks ago at Guardian Pharmacy.  Their online booking system was excellent.  They also expedited another family member, who needed the 3rd jab - they asked for a doctor's letter, but booked the appointment on the basis that the letter would be obtained.  Really well run.

December 20, 2021 9:24 pm  #18

grilled.cheese wrote:

I'm not getting it until it's a mandated thing.

Thanks for being part of the problem. The fact we're still talking about this today is on you.

December 20, 2021 9:45 pm  #19

Yes, booked last Monday for Dec. 30. 

December 20, 2021 9:57 pm  #20

I phoned the 800 government number. Had to wait about 30 minutes to reach a live person. Am booked for Dec 31st at a community centre on Overlea Blvd.

December 20, 2021 11:20 pm  #21

I received the first two shots from the Costco Pharmacy... both were Oxford AZ.. The Costco portal was pretty robust and easy to navigate.

In November when the guidance was issued for the two shot AZ recipients to get the third booster, it was a different experience on the Costco portal (for me anyway...) 

First, I had to wait until Dec. 2nd to book an appointment date...  due to the 168 day period after the second dose was administered.  Then when I had waited the required period, there were no appointment dates available. I joined a wait list... I even checked in person at the pharmacy a few times when in the warehouse and staff said that they have not had any shipment of either of the mRNA vaccines. They had no information as to when to expect supply. ( I also checked with our family physician, and they had not received any supply of either vaccine as well).

I live in Halton Region, and after checking with the Halton Health online booking system two weeks ago, the earliest I could book an appointment for the booster was January 4th. Then, late last week, Halton Health added a walk-in clinic option at a site already setup for booked appointments. I went to this walk-in site on Saturday morning only to be told that there had been a mistake/misinformation, and that there was no walk-in clinic on Saturday. About six or eight people left in frustration. I stayed in-line and told the staff at the door that this is ridiculous... I've been told that the two shot AZ is deemed not to be effective, and that I am urged to get the third booster. They were thrown for a bit of a loop... had to check with their coordinators... please wait. Then they tell me that they will make an exception in my case, but will treat me as a first timer/dose. I told the person at the door that it was not my first dose, and that I would not be lying or fudging the truth to get this booster.  A few moments later, I clear the pre screening questions and go to registration.

Completely different experience from this point on...  The registrar was professional and very courteous. Told me that I would be getting Pfizer, and that this is a third shot/booster. She also confirmed that I was absolutely eligible for the booster, having had two previous AZ shots   Moving on to the nurse's station. Again, the nurse that gave me my shot was very pleasant and professional, and asked a couple of questions to verify my identity, and that I have not had adverse reactions to previous vaccines... Then in the arm and done.  

From start to finish is was about 41 minutes. Its done...   I'd give the Registrar and Nurse that I dealt with 5 Stars!!!  And I'm pretty sure the guys who were the greeters at the door were probably happy to see me finally leave!

(What does all of this have to do with radio?  )

December 21, 2021 12:30 am  #22

Glen Warren wrote:

(What does all of this have to do with radio?  )

Well, I suppose you could say we're all big "boosters" of radio!

December 21, 2021 9:27 am  #23

December 21, 2021 10:31 am  #24

Done.  I had two Astrazeneca shots so I was able to book a booster earlier than most.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 21, 2021 11:02 am  #25

It's rare that I'd make the case that we're ahead of the game south of the border, but I had my Pfizer booster in my arm in September. (Under 50, barely, but with some pre-existing conditions; a month later, I'd have been able to get it without any qualifications.) 

December 21, 2021 11:13 am  #26

Jody Thornton wrote:

Jabuary (I mean January) 6th I'm afraid - although that's early compared to some.

Jabuary nicely pun. Going to refer to that month as such.

December 21, 2021 11:28 am  #27

Glen Warren wrote:

Thats amazing 

December 21, 2021 11:30 am  #28

This isnt going to be the last "booster", im going to wait because 3 vaccines in 6 months to me is ridiculous.  Its obviously not working or its another way of the government to control until im glowing the dark from it. Who knows.  I have two already.

December 21, 2021 11:36 am  #29

I'm getting the booster as soon as I can, but I can understand your reticence since it doesn't appear 100% effective against the new strain. Both Pzifer and Moderna are working on shots that will address the new variant and maybe that will be the one you decide to get. Just hope you'll be able to get an appointment then!

By the way, if I were a new music maker or writing a scifi novel, I'd use, "The New Variants" as either my group name or an alien villain. Both seem perfect for that.  

December 21, 2021 12:16 pm  #30

Spoiler alert - there will be a new variant every 3 to 6 months.  This will be ongoing.