sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 1, 2021 9:56 pm  #31

Re: Viewer Alert: CNN's New DocuSeries "The History Of Late Night" TV

mace wrote:

So the new crop of late night talking heads are being paid in the 15M range in 2017. Probably a bit more in 2021. 30 years ago, Johnny Carson was earning 25M. While Colbert consistently has more viewers than Kimmel and Fallon, he does not dominate the way Carson did over Griffin and Cavett.

Carson has been credited with saving NBC a few times.  For much of the 70's, first against CBS and later ABC, NBC didn't have a lot going on in prime time.  With Johnny they always dominated Late Night, and back then Carson wasn't making the big bucks.  For many years the show was a big cashbox for NBC.  Also they dominated mornings for decades with the Today Show.

May 2, 2021 2:15 pm  #32

Just a reminder for those interested, this docuseries debuts tonight, Sunday, at 9 PM (EDT) with a repeat at midnight, in case you're recording something else. Hopefully, there won't be any breaking news that might stop it airing on time, as has happened with CNN series in the past. 

‘The Story Of Late-Night’: From Steve Allen & Johnny Carson To Desus & Mero, CNN Docuseries Explores The Changing World Of Talkshows

May 2, 2021 3:54 pm  #33

As noted earlier in this thread, the company behind this show is a Toronto-based studio known as Cream Productions. It appears Late Night is just the beginning of their behind-the-scenes look into TV staples.

There are no details yet of what will be in it or when it might be shown (although it's another CNN series), but at the very bottom of their website is this tantalizing pic, another series that would appear to be an absolute can't miss for me. Keep an eye out for this one. 

(Edit: I found this very brief description online: "an eight-part series that explores the most memorable moments and characters in television history, and the way sitcoms inform and reflect our social, cultural and political landscape.")

Last edited by RadioActive (May 2, 2021 4:51 pm)

May 3, 2021 10:15 am  #34

Really enjoyed the first edition of The History of Late Night TV.  Lots of information and facts I had never heard before.  Loved all of the old clips.  I had no idea that Steve Allen's Tonight Show in 1954 influenced David Letterman's Latenight so much.   Glad I am recording this series, I know it is one that I would view over again.  Same format as CNN's other historical documentaries and well done.

May 3, 2021 11:27 am  #35

I have just started watching the first episode of this series. At the beginning, during the Steve Allen radio segment, did anyone else notice the CFRB, WBEN and WKBW indicators on the right side of the old radio. The three on the left side were too blurry to read.

May 3, 2021 11:59 am  #36

mace wrote:

I have just started watching the first episode of this series. At the beginning, during the Steve Allen radio segment, did anyone else notice the CFRB, WBEN and WKBW indicators on the right side of the old radio. The three on the left side were too blurry to read.

Yes, I noticed that as well.  On the left side I am sure the last button said CBL.  But RB and the others were very clear on that old radio.  Didn't notice if the brand of the radio was showing in that shot.

May 3, 2021 1:31 pm  #37

paterson1 wrote:

Really enjoyed the first edition of The History of Late Night TV.  Lots of information and facts I had never heard before.  Loved all of the old clips.  I had no idea that Steve Allen's Tonight Show in 1954 influenced David Letterman's Latenight so much.   Glad I am recording this series, I know it is one that I would view over again.  Same format as CNN's other historical documentaries and well done.

an excellent episode .. looking forward to more .. CNN does these mini-series very well ..

May 4, 2021 1:57 pm  #38

I heard that Jay Leno and David Letterman would not consent to interviews for this production.  Are Jay and Dave still at loggerheads?  Or was it because producer Bill Carter wrote two popular books- The Battle for Late Night and The Late Shift which maybe highlighted the tension and dislike that Letterman and Leno had for each other?

All of the other hosts currently on US late night TV took part and were interviewed.  Also relatives of various hosts that have since passed.

May 4, 2021 2:09 pm  #39

Glad they mentioned "The First Lady of Television", Faye Emerson. Wish there had been more on Broadway Open House, another original show that was a forerunner of Tonight. Some clips of that show survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc2lEW21Zno

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 4, 2021 4:41 pm  #40

Ireland's Late Late Show has been running since 1962- that's a weekly show though. I think daily late night chat shows are rare outside of the US.

CTV's Open Mike with Mike Bullard did well but then Bullard made the mistake of going to Global and CTV run Jon Stewart against him and that was that. There are two factors inhibiting English Canada from running a successful late night show and both have to do with the US. English Canadian culture is so dominated by the US that there isn't much of a local star system here and Canadian TV and movies always have a niche following in our own country - much more so than in other countries where, even though American movies, TV, and music are popular there is still room for distinct local production. It's only in music that we're at all able to hold our own against Americans but they swamp us when it comes to TV and film.

And, relatedly, the second reason a late night show has difficultly competing is because they are directly up against the US late night shows which isn't the case in other countries, not even in other English-speaking countries. 

So as much as I dislike Bullard, I do have to give him credit for Open Mike's success - even though he let it go to his head and ended up sabotaging himself by not only going over to Global based on an overestimation of his show's appeal, but also burning his bridges with CTV and the Comedy Network by complaining loudly about Bell/CTV on his way out. 

Of course, that wouldn't be the last time Bullard sabotaged himself -but that's another story. 

Last edited by Hansa (May 4, 2021 4:48 pm)

May 4, 2021 4:58 pm  #41

I really enjoyed the opening episode and am looking forward to the rest.

Articles about the series say Letterman had & has no interest in talking about his show, while Leno pulled out at the last minute -- perhaps because Dave wasn't talking.  Who knows?

The Canadian station ID other forum members have commented on here may have something to do with the fact that a Canadian company produced the series.

May 4, 2021 5:05 pm  #42

paterson1 wrote:

I heard that Jay Leno and David Letterman would not consent to interviews for this production.  Are Jay and Dave still at loggerheads?  Or was it because producer Bill Carter wrote two popular books- The Battle for Late Night and The Late Shift which maybe highlighted the tension and dislike that Letterman and Leno had for each other?

They're not buddies but I don't think they're really at loggerheads anymore  Both have said nice things about the other in recent years. I suspect the idea of sitting down for a long, serious interview about late night would bore Letterman to tears and Leno wouldn't want to do an interview if Letterman wasn't because of the optics.

Last edited by Hansa (May 4, 2021 5:06 pm)

May 5, 2021 11:37 am  #43

Dale Patterson wrote:

Glad they mentioned "The First Lady of Television", Faye Emerson. Wish there had been more on Broadway Open House, another original show that was a forerunner of Tonight. Some clips of that show survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc2lEW21Zno

If you search Broadway Open House on the Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel site, you will find two episodes from Dec 14, 1950 and Jan 30, 1951. I believe some of the original commercials are included.

May 10, 2021 4:58 pm  #44

paterson1 wrote:

It's almost an embarrassment that there is no English Canadian late night talk show.  You don't give up just because Gzowski and Benmergui didn't work out.  Mike Bullard was the most successful and really had his moments, but he had as many people who didn't like him as did.  Strombo wasn't late night but overall was a good show. Get a laid back, funny entertaining host, keep the show relatively light and talk to the many artists that are always around.  And don't get a former newsperson to host the show, you need someone entertaining with humour.

TV scribe Bill Brioux takes up this very subject in one of his latest posts, riffing off a similar sentiment from the Globe & Mail's John Doyle. He even resurrects an old quote from Mike Bullard. 

Brioux's link to that column bypasses the Globe's paywall, which means you can read both opinion pieces here

May 10, 2021 7:29 pm  #45

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

It's almost an embarrassment that there is no English Canadian late night talk show.  You don't give up just because Gzowski and Benmergui didn't work out.  Mike Bullard was the most successful and really had his moments, but he had as many people who didn't like him as did.  Strombo wasn't late night but overall was a good show. Get a laid back, funny entertaining host, keep the show relatively light and talk to the many artists that are always around.  And don't get a former newsperson to host the show, you need someone entertaining with humour.

TV scribe Bill Brioux takes up this very subject in one of his latest posts, riffing off a similar sentiment from the Globe & Mail's John Doyle. He even resurrects an old quote from Mike Bullard. 

Brioux's link to that column bypasses the Globe's paywall, which means you can read both opinion pieces here

The thing is the late night Canadian talk show doesn't need to be on every night.  Start off once or twice per week.  And promote the hell out of it and the guests coming on.  CNN does an incredible job promoting their new original series.  The first promo I saw for the current History of Late Night TV was in March and ramped up from there. Now that the show is on, there is a non stop onslaught of promo for the six part series 24/7.  The debut show last week was the highest rated program on Sunday for CNN. 

CTV recently had a credible and interesting original 8 part series on Saturday night called This is Pop.  A lot of effort was put in the production and generally was pretty good in my opinion, even though it would have a somewhat limited audience given the content and Saturday evening schedule.  The  first promo on CTV or any of their channels for This is Pop I recalled was three weeks after the shows debut.  After that, very little promotion for the remaining episodes in the series that I could see and no radio.  During this time CTV, CTV2 and their many specialty channels had endless promos on TV and radio for other new shows like 9-1-1 Lonestar, Big Sky, Home Economics, Rebel and many others.  Some of these shows are not doing particularly well in the ratings, especially stateside. 

I am not saying that This is Pop should have had the same promo as The Story of Late Night or even CTV's week night prime time line up.  But the show was more or less ignored in terms of on air exposure and promo, so it should be no surprise to the network if ratings were low.  I am sure This is Pop will be repeated many times on MUCH and MTV in the months ahead, maybe even CTV 2 at some point. 

This again shows a big problem with Canadian programming and productions.  Lack of promotion, lack of buzz about new programming and a public that is largely not even aware of the show.  So it is pretty hard to claim a lack of quality in domestic programming when the public is largely oblivious to the show, and have never even heard anything about it. Pretty much guarantees soft ratings, and you are relagated to hoping that people will somehow stumble across the series at some point. Not exactly the best marketing plan from these professional broadcasters who are in the business of marketing, advertising and promotion.

Last edited by paterson1 (May 10, 2021 7:35 pm)

August 13, 2021 5:38 pm  #46

Resurrecting this old thread to recommend a video I recently discovered on YouTube. It's about the Big Three of the modern era of late night: Johnny Carson, David Letterman and the sometimes-forgotten Tom Snyder. The piece, which is just under an hour, tells their story almost exclusively in their own words, through clips from their shows. 

I found it really entertaining. (Although you might want to wait to watch it until 11:35 PM!)

August 13, 2021 6:40 pm  #47

Thanks RA.  I've made it a shortcut and will watch it this weekend.

August 13, 2021 11:45 pm  #48

Just finished watching The Late Night Saga: Three's A Crowd. Thank you. Enjoyed it tremendously. Just a wee bit
of talent there...

October 31, 2021 7:46 pm  #49

Hey kids,

Just want to put in a plug for "The Story Of Late Night" - the version you never saw.

A lot of folks complained earlier and elsewhere on the net about CNN's presentation of the series - interrupted by commercial breaks that reduced program content to about 35 minutes per hour-long broadcast slot.

Luckily, CBC Gem has a more complete version of the series - adding about ten minutes more per episode, elevating the entire documentary from very good to great.

In addition, the final episode has about 15 additional minutes that includes the January 6, 2021 incidents in Washington D.C. plus the impact of Covid-19 on the late night scene.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/the-story-of-late-night/s01

Enjoy!

How could Hell be worse?

October 31, 2021 9:58 pm  #50

Not to pick nits but I just checked and my copies of the CNN airings without commercials are actually as long as the CBC GEM versions, running about 41 and change minutes.  CNN did indeed run episode 6 long to come in at around 53 minutes.

But thanks for the pointer where one can see the series is one missed it.

Last edited by Peter the K (October 31, 2021 9:59 pm)

October 31, 2021 10:02 pm  #51

Nice to see the episodes without commercials/promo or having to zip through them.  Just watched the first two installments. Thanks for the heads up Stacks of Wax... 

November 1, 2021 3:03 pm  #52

Peter the K wrote:

Not to pick nits but I just checked and my copies of the CNN airings without commercials are actually as long as the CBC GEM versions

Sorry. Must have gotten confused with what makes up an hour of Corus radio programming.

How could Hell be worse?