sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 24, 2021 6:55 pm  #1

The Return Of Jim Richards To Bell Talk Network

CFRB has been running a bizarre promo about a new overnight show coming to the station (I guess it's bye, again Coast-To-Coast!) with a "surprise" name hosting. The spot makes a big deal of not revealing who it is, but says you'll be happy to hear the choice. 

Without ruining the suspense, I strongly suspect this might be the return of Jim Richards, who handled the afternoon slot for so many years on the station. I've heard rumours that he wasn't fired, per se, but was being reassigned and needed time to work out the details of the show's format, etc. 

I only partially heard the promo but I think they said it starts this coming Sunday night/Monday morning.

February 24, 2021 7:14 pm  #2

Re: The Return Of Jim Richards To Bell Talk Network

I have heard those promos as well.Since I am usually asleep by Midnight and I was never a fan of Jim Richards, it is highly unlikely I will ever tune in.

February 24, 2021 7:17 pm  #3

It will likely be networked... I just can't see them making investment to run a local only show after everything that has went down.   

February 24, 2021 8:53 pm  #4

radiokid wrote:

It will likely be networked... I just can't see them making investment to run a local only show after everything that has went down.   

There's some logic in that thinking, but how is it cheaper to run than Coast to coast?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 24, 2021 11:59 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I won't be tuning in.  I like Coast to Coast with George Noory.

The more local (& live) the feel, the more desire I have to tune in.  
They blew out their news/weather team, so talk about Ontario wide storm weather won't sound great...guess they have to find other topics? 

February 25, 2021 12:38 am  #6

Doing the midnight shift is so hard. There's a reason they used to give it to the younger up and coming on-air personalities. I started on overnights in my twenties and did them for two years before getting "promoted" to swing. Being that messed up sleep wise is it's own special kind of trip.

If it is Jim Richards doing the new night show, I wish him well. It's a tough enough gig when you're playing music and doing four breaks an hour, let alone talking non stop.

Last edited by betaylored (February 25, 2021 12:39 am)

February 25, 2021 2:14 am  #7

betaylored wrote:

Doing the midnight shift is so hard. There's a reason they used to give it to the younger up and coming on-air personalities. I started on overnights in my twenties and did them for two years before getting "promoted" to swing. Being that messed up sleep wise is it's own special kind of trip.

If it is Jim Richards doing the new night show, I wish him well. It's a tough enough gig when you're playing music and doing four breaks an hour, let alone talking non stop.

Give me the overnight shift. I'll gladly take it. However, the point is still well made. 
How well does an afternoon drive person do when suddenly told they're needed for mornings? 
Everything is an adjustment.
Maybe this is why there is a delay for the person doing the overnight show.
All to allow the changes to adjust easier. 

February 25, 2021 10:39 am  #8

Jerry Agar made mention of this upcoming show on his own show this morning. "12:01 am to 4 am".  (Why the :01? Is the hourly Canadian Press or pre-recorded news update really that brief? Maybe part of the gimmick?)

"We can't reveal who will be hosting just yet but we think you'll like it."

My first thought was Jim Richards, too. Something to go head-to-head (if in concept, not necessarily literally in timeslot - although in some markets, I think so?) with Global's "The Shift" (formerly with Drex).

February 25, 2021 10:49 am  #9

I'm curious about that ":01" time start as well. They now carry the CTV Toronto news, which starts at 11:30 PM - but doesn't technically end until 12:05 AM. Perhaps he misspoke, because a) I can't see them cutting off the newscast in mid-sentence and b) their other stations may be in news mode (likely from the Canadian Press, since there are so few Bell radio news people left, especially at that hour) and that generally doesn't end until five after the hour. 

I'll try to remember to listen Sunday night to see what's there. But I will be very surprised if it doesn't turn out to be Richards. As I recall, he used to do overnights for a time at The Fan, and in the past, a few callers made reference to how much they enjoyed him in that timeslot. So it's not like he hasn't done it before.

But it certainly fits Bell's budget - one show over many stations, equals savings on talent - and salary.  

February 25, 2021 11:45 am  #10

Personally I'd prefer Jim Richards with a nationally syndicated show over anything George Noory and Coast to Coast offers. That show has totally gone downhill without Art Bell.

February 25, 2021 11:49 am  #11

John Moore also made reference to the new late night show beginning Sunday overnight from 12:01 am.

February 25, 2021 12:14 pm  #12

grilled.cheese wrote:

eladb wrote:

Personally I'd prefer Jim Richards with a nationally syndicated show over anything George Noory and Coast to Coast offers. That show has totally gone downhill without Art Bell.

Arthur Bell hasn't been a consistent host of Coast to Coast since 2003, 18 years ago.  His glory days are in the distant past.  

art bell is dead 

February 25, 2021 12:37 pm  #13

grilled.cheese wrote:

eladb wrote:

Arthur Bell hasn't been a consistent host of Coast to Coast since 2003, 18 years ago.  His glory days are in the distant past.  

Yeah, and in my opinion ever since Art Bell retired for good, the show hasn't been the same. Noory is just unlistenable IMO.

February 25, 2021 12:52 pm  #14

grilled.cheese wrote:

cash wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

art bell is dead 

minor detail.

queue up Abe Vigoda then .. 

Last edited by g121 (February 25, 2021 12:53 pm)

February 25, 2021 2:49 pm  #15

grilled.cheese wrote:

I won't be tuning in.  I like Coast to Coast with George Noory.

My guess is Coast to Coast will get flipped over to 1150. The Bloomberg station in Vancouver has been airing it for quite a while now.

February 25, 2021 3:05 pm  #16

RadioActive wrote:

I'm curious about that ":01" time start as well. They now carry the CTV Toronto news, which starts at 11:30 PM - but doesn't technically end until 12:05 AM. Perhaps he misspoke, because a) I can't see them cutting off the newscast in mid-sentence and b) their other stations may be in news mode (likely from the Canadian Press, since there are so few Bell radio news people left, especially at that hour) and that generally doesn't end until five after the hour.

Yeah, it's a bit odd for them to be so specific about that detail, but I wonder if it's a gimmick that ties directly into a show title or tagline like "The After Midnight Show"  - and the 12:01 being a bit "cute" about not the "stroke of midnight" but "just past" it or something.

I suppose the campaign is a very old-school, tried-and-true "secretive" approach about who's hosting, so it will gather some hoped-for momentum on social media over the next few days. If someone wasn't a Jim Richards fan and tuned in out of curiosity, they're sure going to be annoyed and reach for the "off", maybe, within a minute or two - the risk you take with something like this being so secret.

February 25, 2021 3:17 pm  #17

Jim Richards' Twitter page would seem to have completely let the cat out of the bag.

The Countdown Clock

February 25, 2021 3:23 pm  #18

The :01 is often used in relation to midnight, because if you just say "Midnight Monday" some numerically-challenged people aren't sure which day that means.

Last edited by RadioAaron (February 25, 2021 3:23 pm)

February 27, 2021 1:23 pm  #19

Looks like the stations that'll be carrying the program (based on the 1010 placeholder page) - and Richards has further revealed with additional posts on his Twitter that's him - are, so far:

1290 CJBK - London
1010 CFRB - Toronto
800 CKLW - Windsor
1150 CKFR - Kelowna 
580 CFRA - Ottawa
1070 CFAX - Victoria
610 CKTB - St. Catharines

Are those the same stations currently running Noory's "Coast to Coast", so this is a one-to-one replacement of it?

February 28, 2021 1:22 am  #20

cash wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

eladb wrote:

art bell is dead 

Or is he? 

February 28, 2021 2:28 pm  #21

I just re-heard their promo touting this mysterious new host. In the copy, it promises a show that will delve into "local issues."

Local issues? On a nationwide talk show? 

I'd be curious to see how they pull that one off. 

But of course, I'll be sleeping by the time it airs most nights, so I guess it will forever remain a mystery. And not being a Jim Richards fan, even if I'm up, my dial will be tuned elsewhere.

Whatever this thing turns out to be, it appears they have a name for it. It's on their website, with the useless details, "Information coming soon."

[img]https://www.iheartradio.ca/image/policy:1.14645810:1614198135/the-late-show.jpg?c=0%2C256%2C1197%2C672&$p$c=4f2f99e[/img]

February 28, 2021 3:35 pm  #22

And interestingly, I notice CJAD 800 Montreal is still showing "Coast to Coast" in that slot, at least as of the time I write this. Not sure if they're just slow or there's a technical problem updating their website, or that station will actually opt out of this new show and stick with "Coast to Coast". We'll see.

February 28, 2021 3:38 pm  #23

I guess the name "The Late Show" isn't strictly speaking CBS' intellectual property since it was used as a generic show title for decades either for local late night movies in various markets and by Joan Rivers's ill-fated late night talkie and various variety shows internationally. Still, I wonder if CBS will be sending Bell a cease and desist letter at some point? (Or Corus since The Late Show with Stephen Colbert airs on Global?)

Oh, I'd forgotten that CBC Radio had a series called "The Late Show" about people who had recently died.

Last edited by Hansa (February 28, 2021 3:42 pm)

February 28, 2021 4:20 pm  #24

Hansa wrote:

I guess the name "The Late Show" isn't strictly speaking CBS' intellectual property since it was used as a generic show title for decades either for local late night movies in various markets and by Joan Rivers's ill-fated late night talkie and various variety shows internationally.

I just assumed "The Late Show" is a generic placeholder title for their schedules and "secret show" promo campaigns for a few days until they formally announce Jim Richards in it - and it'll actually be "The Jim Richards Late Night Showgram" or some such involving his name or a more unique title? But you could be right and that might be the "real" name. We'll see.

February 28, 2021 4:33 pm  #25

You may be right. That Showgram thing has been part of his shtick for a long time. I'm not entirely sure where it originated, but I know for a fact it wasn't his. There was a guy on in the U.S. (I think it was NYC) that was using the word "Showgram" ( a combo of show and program) a long time before Richards adopted (stole? borrowed?) the phrase. Many others have used it since. 

It would make sense he might bring it back for his national show. 

February 28, 2021 5:26 pm  #26

Hey Google, play WMPL

February 28, 2021 10:15 pm  #27

Odds are it'll end up being the Late Showgram with Jim Richards or something like that. 

February 28, 2021 10:21 pm  #28

Or they could pull a Joey Reynolds, who used to go on after dark by calling it "The Late Joey Reynolds Show." It's an interesting gag, but it always sounded weird to me. 

February 28, 2021 11:57 pm  #29

In all the discussions about the who, it's easy to forget the what. What's really unusual about this whole thing is how much airtime a Toronto radio station - any station really - has devoted to promoting a show that runs after midnight, a time period most stations don't much care about. It's a virtual dead zone for advertisers, attracts few listeners and is rarely, if ever, even mentioned on the air.

I hadn't thought about it before, but how strange they gave so much hype to a day part (night part?) that so few are still awake to hear. I can't quite remember anything like that happening before.

March 1, 2021 1:05 am  #30

The worst kept secret in Toronto radio was officially revealed just after midnight Monday, when Jim Richards took his spot as the new near-national talk show host on several Bell Media stations. He hasn't been on air since the big Bell blowout just under a month ago.

The name of the new show is "The Late Showgram," and it runs five hours.

Ironically, the much vaunted ":01" start time was off, after the Golden Globes ran long, slightly delaying CTV's various news packages. It didn't start until 5 minutes after the hour.