sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 22, 2020 4:18 pm  #1

Oh man, it's the all Covid-19 all the time format on all TV stations

A few thoughts on self-isolation day 10...

As I did my exercise bike, I was flipping channels...and every major station had Covid coverage...

I finally landed on APTN and watched a great documentary on how professional musicians in New Zealand have gone into prisons to help the prisoners write, perform and produce their own song... It took my mind off of the major fear of the news...

Here's my question or are my questions.

1. I know we need to be informed, but is it still pertinent to be pounding away at this all the time?

2. There was a study by Dr. Emoto and a documentary called "What the bleep do we know" and Dr. Emoto took water froze them and put words in front of the cups of water...half had negative words, like ugly, bad, stupid, etc. The other cups of water had words like beautiful, radiant, I love you...and once the ice crystals formed and hardened, the distinction between the 2 samples were profound.

The negative crystals were dark, they didn't form nicely and truthfully were ugly, whereas the positive cups were brilliant, like a beautiful snow flake magnified... 

The lesson was that when we are exposed to constant negativity it has negative consequences, thus the importance of speaking well of yourself and others, since we are 98% water...

So, my question is this. Do you feel if this goes on for a while if some journalists are going to possibly lose it and have a melt down on air? 

Being exposed day in and day out to negative news, fear, crisis etc. cannot be good for the soul or mental state...

What's your take? 

Do stations also offer counselling to their anchors/hosts?

Lastly, I think we all need to be really kind to ourselves through this and if you need to, do positive affirmations that you are okay and you are good and will make it. We also need kindness and patience for others too!

Cheers!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 22, 2020 11:18 pm  #2

Re: Oh man, it's the all Covid-19 all the time format on all TV stations

1. Yes.

The end.

March 22, 2020 11:31 pm  #3

Thank goodness for Funny 820!!

March 23, 2020 7:58 am  #4

Easter is just around the corner. I haven't finalized my travel plans yet. Bedroom or Living Room. BaaaHaaaaa! If we lose our sense of humour, we are doomed. Laughter is still the best medicine.

March 23, 2020 9:47 am  #5

Well, now that the gyms are closed, and barbershops, hair salons, dentists, tanning salons, plastic surgeons are all shut down ... it.could get ugly out there..

I'll tell you a coronavirius joke today.. and you can let me know in two weeks if you found it funny..

Why do they call it "novel coronavirius"?  Because it's a long story...

Do you know who buys up and hoards all the toilet paper?   Assholes...

If there's a baby boom 9 months from now, what will we have in 2033??  A whole bunch of quaranteens..

You know what they say...starve a cold...feed a fever...drink a Corona..

Some grocery stores in France look like they got hit by a tornado...all that's left is de brie..

What do you say when you wake up late for work and have a fever??   Self, I so late!!

So many bad coronavirius jokes out there...it's a pundemic...

Okay, get the hook and pull me off the stage...

March 23, 2020 9:50 am  #6

The more accurate information we get from the media the better. This is literally the greatest crisis of your time and we need to be completely informed. If one needs a break from it, there are specialty and on-demand channels or even sitting down with a good book (one of the things I'm doing is finally reading some of the many books I have purchased and never got around to reading, LOL).

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

March 23, 2020 11:27 am  #7

I was just thinking today that I should post here about how much I appreciate all the dedicated work of so many broadcasters in this situation, especially when they're having to use technology in ways that they don't normally. I have never worked in broadcasting, but I've always felt it was important and especially in times of crisis ... I'm thankful that there are so many professionals who also feel that way, despite all the difficulties that they're facing right now.   

March 23, 2020 11:41 am  #8

Good to see that such a life-threatening, worldwide killing virus seems to garner all this very inappropriate "humour".🤐🤢

March 23, 2020 11:54 am  #9

Not sure of the background of all the posters, but having worked in a newsroom for decades, I can tell you that so-called dark humour is not only common, but after dealing with tragic stories day after day after day, a necessary coping mechanism. It happens in just about every shop I've ever worked in. It's a tension-easer when there is no place to ease that tension. (Remember the classic Mary Tyler Moore episode about Chuckles The Clown's funeral? It's kind of like that.) 

Which is why stuff like this keeps appearing all over the web.

March 23, 2020 12:20 pm  #10

Hi RA,
Also having worked in a newsroom for 17 years, I can fully attest to dark humour in the news gathering biz.  Here are 2 classics I can't forget!  I can't remember the date, but it was in the old building (99 Queen E) and the story was about an over-crowded ferry sinking in Bangladesh with no final death count.  Someone posted a pool to guess the final death count, pick the number, toss a loonie into the pot, and hope you win.
The other was the Bernardo trial, again predict the time of the verdict, put your money in the pot, and hope you win.   In both cases I don't know who won the money.

March 23, 2020 12:38 pm  #11

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Good to see that such a life-threatening, worldwide killing virus seems to garner all this very inappropriate "humour".🤐🤢

Couldn't agree more. Dourness and solemnity are the best medicine.

March 23, 2020 1:10 pm  #12

Here's some medical humour by way of the Firesign Theatre:

Last edited by Fitz (March 23, 2020 1:10 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

March 23, 2020 2:47 pm  #13

Saul wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Yes, I understand. I, too, have been known to implement very dark humor. But, seeing as I will be enroute to the funeral of a lifelong friend that succumbed to this horrid virus, suddenly, I fail to join in with turning my frown upside down. My apologies for being so serious.

March 23, 2020 2:55 pm  #14

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Saul wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Yes, I understand. I, too, have been known to implement very dark humor. But, seeing as I will be enroute to the funeral of a lifelong friend that succumbed to this horrid virus, suddenly, I fail to join in with turning my frown upside down. My apologies for being so serious.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but somewhat surprised to hear there's going to be a funeral at all. I was looking through the Star's obit section on Saturday and noticed that page after page of obituaries all ended the same way: "A service or celebration of life will be held at a future date, due to the Covid-19 outbreak."

It's an incredible tragedy that someone has to lose a loved one, especially to this illness, and then can't even say goodbye to them. Funerals seem to be yet another victim of the outbreak.

Condolences to you and the family. 

March 23, 2020 4:18 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Saul wrote:

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, but somewhat surprised to hear there's going to be a funeral at all. I was looking through the Star's obit section on Saturday and noticed that page after page of obituaries all ended the same way: "A service or celebration of life will be held at a future date, due to the Covid-19 outbreak."

It's an incredible tragedy that someone has to lose a loved one, especially to this illness, and then can't even say goodbye to them. Funerals seem to be yet another victim of the outbreak.

Thank you RA. I appreciate YOUR comment. But, on the other hand, I received this.....

Viewing Private Message
« Back to Inbox
Block UserCorona Funeral - Sent Today 3:33 pm - from Kilgore

Your position has been dissected and analysed and it has been concluded that you're full'a shyt

K.

Class act. Indeed.

March 23, 2020 4:20 pm  #16

I thought this was worth sharing...and a little dark humour is not a bad idea...

This is from Mary Tyler Moore, a classic scene from Chuckle's the Clown's funeral...where Mary loses it...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (March 23, 2020 4:20 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

March 23, 2020 4:29 pm  #17

Mary Tyler Moore has to be one of the best comedy shows of all time and "A little song and little dance a little ......" one of the funniest scenes from the show.  

March 23, 2020 7:13 pm  #18

Thank you RA. I appreciate YOUR comment. But, on the other hand, I received this.....
Your position has been dissected and analysed and it has been concluded that you're full'a shyt
Class act. Indeed.

When my former radio co-host had stage 4 colon cancer I remember a hospital visit a few days before he died. After some pretty heavy big-picture assessments of everything from him being a goner to some of the most horrific things people have done to one-another, dark humour crept in and made our final visit something of a treasure. Yeah, the m&m cookies helped, but I digress. I can well understand your loss, and you have my sympathy. I took 'funeral' as metaphorical ... your loss being your point. But I would never have guessed before you acknowledged it, that your loss was the reason behind your at least momentary stance against humour. Given that the collective 'we' are all in a truly strange moment, weirdly sharing a profound experience in solitude, humour will see us safely through. The darker the better ... I'm known in my own circles for really awful puns - have written too many news story headlines over the years. COVID-19 demands better.

March 23, 2020 9:08 pm  #19

Tickle Trunk wrote:

Viewing Private Message
« Back to Inbox
Block UserCorona Funeral - Sent Today 3:33 pm - from Kilgore

K.

Class act. Indeed.

And a classic case of projection on that person's part. 

March 23, 2020 10:23 pm  #20

For those who need a break from the seriousness of COVID-19 stuff, my brother in Calgary told me about this. It's simply incredible. And do I think it's great and gets the message across?

Soitanly!

March 23, 2020 10:46 pm  #21

They look like a bunch of wise guys....that was funny and well done..

March 23, 2020 11:22 pm  #22

On a somber note and posted just as information - some of you may remember The Live Earl Jive for the great CFNY days back in the 80s? 

Jive was one of the producers of this album. 

March 24, 2020 1:01 am  #23

RadioActive wrote:

For those who need a break from the seriousness of COVID-19 stuff, my brother in Calgary told me about this. It's simply incredible. And do I think it's great and gets the message across?

Soitanly!

An excellent use of humour to convey a serious message ... thanks for sharing.