sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 14, 2019 3:13 pm  #1

'The Social' cast member Jessica Allen clarifies Cherry comments

She said hockey players "all tended to be white boys who weren't, let's say, very nice." AND "They were not generally thoughtful, they were often bullies, their parents were able to spend five-thousand dollars a year on minor hockey -- $5,000 is a lot of money."

Should she be fired?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/the-social-cast-member-jessica-allen-clarifies-cherry-comments-1.4684143

https://twitter.com/TrueNorthCentre/status/1194731458046377985

Last edited by cash (November 14, 2019 3:33 pm)

November 14, 2019 4:25 pm  #2

Re: 'The Social' cast member Jessica Allen clarifies Cherry comments

NO, she's right

November 14, 2019 4:48 pm  #3

This is the same as what happened with the Don Cherry comments. Like Ron Maclean, one of the other panelists on the Social should have challenged Jessica Allen on her assumptions on the comments she made, and make her clarify and prove what she said.  Ron Maclean should have done that with Don as well.  If he had, there is a good chance this whole thing wouldn't have blown up like it did.

Like Cherry,  Jessica Allen is incorrect,  and she is making sweeping and dated generalizations. 

Tuesday night the National had an excellent report from Mississauga with a boys hockey team. All of the boys were from different ethnic backgounds, and all of them loved to play hockey. It's Mississauga, a very diverse community and Don' Cherry's hometown.  These young people (age about 13-14) were thoughtful and well spoken, I was impressed how mature they were.  All of their comments were moderate, nobody was angry or upset. 

The CBC's report showed that hockey is not a sport for just for white kids, it also was a good lesson putting things in perspective. The story and the boys stayed away from the excited fringes trying to make more out of Cherry's comments than what was there. And on the other side the report didn't show those who were playing the victim and blaming "these people".

The report and the boys gave you an insight into their real world and what hockey means to them,  and not just dated perceived slights and stereotypes on both sides that in many cases, left the locker room years ago.  

November 14, 2019 5:17 pm  #4

Does Don Cherry really need an interpreter? This has been milked to death. Although Alan Carter's interview/attack this afternoon with some Don Cherry-apologist newspaper writer was interesting.

The "huge" protest attracted a "huge" (in the voice of Donald Trump) crowd of 10. Wow.

This has been covered to death. Cherry won't apologize and has burnt several bridges.

The newscycle on this story needs to hit "F10" already.

November 15, 2019 9:41 am  #5

Not that I want to relight these flames, but the CBSC has confirmed in bright red letters that it's no longer taking complaints about The Social broadcast, similar to the Cherry comments. 

"The CBSC has received a large number of very similar complaints concerning comments made about hockey on CTV’s The Social on November 12, 2019. To ensure that all complaints are dealt with efficiently and in a timely manner, the CBSC limits the number of complaints it will accept in respect of the same broadcast. The CBSC process does not vary based on the number of complaints made. The same consideration is given to one single valid complaint as to multiple complaints on the same matter. The CBSC is now dealing with The Social under its normal process. As a result, no further complaints will be accepted by the CBSC on this issue. Other complaints about this program or station will still be accepted."

Prior to this, I was under the impression that most of the public never really knew much about the CBSC. Obviously, those ads they run occasionally on all member stations are having an effect. It will be interesting to see how they decide both cases, and if one gets censured and the other doesn't.

CBSC Complaints 

November 15, 2019 6:09 pm  #6

Looks like Jessica Allen and CTV are apologizing somewhat.  Interesting that CBC doesn't have comments open for this story.  Maybe they don't want people to pile on CTV and Jessica too much?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/allen-cherry-hockey-apology-1.5361608

Last edited by paterson1 (November 15, 2019 6:11 pm)

November 15, 2019 9:05 pm  #7

if ctv fired this host... who would know?

November 16, 2019 7:33 pm  #8

I'm not an unemployed woman so I honestly have no idea who this person is. I've literally not heard her name before this.

November 16, 2019 9:27 pm  #9

Not sure about the "unemployed woman" part, but yeah, who is she?

November 18, 2019 8:45 pm  #10

Don't know if this means anything but Jessica was not on the show today. Other than the statement by CTV, I wonder if anything was said on the show regarding her comments? Doesn't look like they did today anyway, I suffered through the first 10-12 minutes and nothing.

November 19, 2019 10:20 am  #11

paterson1 wrote:

Don't know if this means anything but Jessica was not on the show today. Other than the statement by CTV, I wonder if anything was said on the show regarding her comments? Doesn't look like they did today anyway, I suffered through the first 10-12 minutes and nothing.

I have occasionally watched The Social. The regular hosts are Melissa Grelo, Cynthia Loyst, Marci Ien and Elaine Lui. Jess is used as a fill-in when one of the regulars is away.

November 22, 2019 4:38 pm  #12

She hasn't been on all week and hasn't been mentioned so I am told. 

February 5, 2020 1:46 pm  #13

she is still being trolled

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8KPIZkJwOI/

February 5, 2020 7:12 pm  #14

bots, wingnuts and extreme ideologues have nothing better to do.

February 5, 2020 9:40 pm  #15

I can't speak for their character, but to play at the rep or even junior hockey level can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $7,500  so it is all about who can afford to play. That's why more and more good players are opting to play Jr C because it is far less expensive to play.