sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 29, 2020 1:59 pm  #1

Netflix, CanCon & Ad-Free CBC: Legislative Review Panel

The report of the Broadcasting and Telecommunications Legislative Review Panel has been released.   Lots of "new" regulation recommended, including a requirement for streaming services to pay for the creation of Canadian television programs, not just fund "service" productions that are being shot in Canada.  They also want streaming companies to change algorithms to improve "discoverability" of Canadian programs.  This would also apply to Spotify, Netflix, and apparently YouTube.  The report can be downloaded at:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/110.nsf/vwapj/BTLR_Eng-V3.pdf/$file/BTLR_Eng-V3.pdf

BTW CBC would have to exit advertising after a period of time.

January 29, 2020 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Netflix, CanCon & Ad-Free CBC: Legislative Review Panel

What an interesting report. Thanks for posting. I've slightly altered the subject line to explain exactly how important this thread is and how it could conceivably change online and broadcasting in this country.

There's a lot to digest there, but here's some food for thought. One of the things the panel is recommending is changing the name of the CRTC.

Its suggestion: The CCC, which would stand for The Canadian Communications Commission.

Why?

"...This name [The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)] is now out of step in a world in which communications have moved beyond conventional radio and television stations. The word “Radio-television” might have been acceptable when “broadcasting” was defined to mean transmission using the radio spectrum only, but the term is no longer appropriate."

Will it happen? I guess we'll have to wait and CCC...

As if that's not nitipicky enough, it goes on. They want The Broadcasting Act to be changed to the Media Communications Act and the Telecommunications Act to become The Electronic Communications Act. 

January 29, 2020 2:42 pm  #3

Another potential CRTC (CCC?) change? They recommend that whatever the Commission comes to be called, that there are fewer people in it. 

"...Reduce the maximum number of Commissioners to a Chair, a Vice-Chair, and up to seven additional Commissioners, each appointed for a single term of up to seven years." 

There are currently 13 of them now, and many reside in other parts of the country. Under the proposed new rules, all of them would have to live in the Ottawa Region for the entire length of their term. That would almost certainly cut down on the number of people willing to fill the role. Why do it? The panel thinks it will speed up future decisions if everyone is in the same place. 

January 29, 2020 4:47 pm  #4

I don't know how Canadians will feel about forcing them to pay yet another tax to fund programming they may never watch - or even want to watch. And while I understand the CanCon mania that the government has been obsessed with since the 1970s, it drives me crazy that they should be able to dictate to a foreign broadcaster or streamer that isn't actually based in this country. 

What's next? We'll jam over the air transmissions of all the Buffalo stations and take them off cable unless NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox immediately start including Canadian shows on their schedule? I'm all for supporting the industry in Canada and I get that they're between a rock and a hard place in this. But forcing CanCon obligations on foreign programmers just seems like a massive overreach to me. Where does it stop?  

Netflix, other streaming services should be forced to create CanCon, pay digital tax: panel

Panel recommends end to CBC advertising dollars and forcing Canadian content on Netflix

January 29, 2020 7:42 pm  #5

I think before everyone gets their shorts in a knot and jump to conclusion is the fact that Netflix and Amazon are already showing and producing lots of cancon, and they are doing so willingly. And even more interesting is  that they are showing a decent amount of cancon on their services in the US as well. And I am not talking about shows just shot in Canada, shows like Being Erica, Murdoch Mysteries, Corner Gas, Schitt's Creek, Durham County and many more currently offered on various US platforms.  See link below.

So why the hand wringing that they may be "forced" to make cancon available here and pay tax?  Sure streaming services will squawk but everyone knows there is no permanent free lunch.   France has already imposed a  tax on all sales (not profit) of streaming services in that country,  the UK, Belgium and Ireland are looking to do the same.

Speculating about NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox and the Buffalo stations immediately needing to feature cancon on their schedules is laughable and isn't going to happen.  Sorry for being so blunt, but let's keep it real please.

Here is a list of cancon programming already streaming in the US and on what services it is being offered. And I am sure many more new Canadian shows are planned to be available in the months ahead. 
https://thebritishtvplace.com/canadian-tv-shows-available-for-streaming-in-the-us/

How then can anyone argue that homegrown programming shouldn't be as available on streaming services in Canada is beyond my understanding.  Nobody is being forced to watch anything. Making Canadian productions  available for Canadians to even consider watching is not forced viewership. And the cancon should offered the same way as all programming and not corralled in a special "Canadian Section."  Oh, and should these services be taxed, absolutely. And finally, in my opinion, there is also nothing wrong with legislation in place to ensure this continues to happen.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 29, 2020 7:45 pm)

January 29, 2020 8:16 pm  #6

There will presumably be a level of subscriptions needed for a service to be required to produce Cancon. Dinsey+ will likely qualify. I'm intrigued by how they're going to deal with that. There is little on the service that isn't entirely produced in the U.S. and Disney has an appalling track record of running Canadian businesses. Which government will get millions swindled by the rat this time?

January 29, 2020 8:42 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Speculating about NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox and the Buffalo stations immediately needing to feature cancon on their schedules is laughable and isn't going to happen.  Sorry for being so blunt, but let's keep it real please.

Agreed. And that was the point - it's such a ridiculous idea that it isn't even worth considering. They send shows into Canada, as much as does Netflix, CBS All Access, Disney+, Amazon and the rest. Why is it OK to tax one but not the other? And I want to reiterate that these are NOT Canadian owned services. What right does the government have forcing our misguided content laws onto other countries?

paterson1 wrote:

Here is a list of cancon programming already streaming in the US and on what services it is being offered. And I am sure many more new Canadian shows are planned to be available in the months ahead. 
https://thebritishtvplace.com/canadian-tv-shows-available-for-streaming-in-the-us/

In my mind, there's a big difference between buying Canadian shows to be used on their platforms (just as CTV, City and Global all buy U.S. shows) and forcing citizens to pay for it. Can you imagine the reaction if the Americans started charging Canadians a tax to watch their shows?

paterson1 wrote:

How then can anyone argue that homegrown programming shouldn't be as available on streaming services in Canada is beyond my understanding.  Nobody is being forced to watch anything. Making Canadian productions  available for Canadians to even consider watching is not forced viewership.

Ah, but under this proposal, we ARE being forced to pay for it, if we choose to subscribe. I can't speak for you, but I refuse to pay for something I don't want - and it's a no-brainer that in any other circumstance, I'm fairly sure you'd feel the same way. Want to buy those California-grown tomatoes? Then you have to pay an extra levy, to ensure we can grow our own tomatoes here. You'd laugh at the idea. Just because it's TV doesn't change the principle. 

paterson1 wrote:

And finally, in my opinion, there is also nothing wrong with legislation in place to ensure this continues to happen.

OK. If you don't mind forking over money for programming you may never watch, perhaps you'd consider paying my portion while you're at it. I'm no fan of CanCon rules as they are. To think you can force them on other countries is just insane.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. But I'd rather live in my reality than yours. If nothing else, it will be a lot cheaper!

January 29, 2020 10:31 pm  #8

Always good to have a spirited discussion. And you are right, you probably wouldn't want to live in my reality RA! 
Not Canadian owned businesses and what right does the government have to impose our misguided content laws on them? Not Canadian owned but doing business here. When you are doing business in another country and in some cases setting up facilities and production you follow  the law of that country. Just like they will be doing in France, UK, Spain and other countries they do business in. Just because Canada sits next door to the US shouldn't give them a pass. Netflix, Disney and Amazon seem to understand this and are already producing a lot of cancon. Misguided content laws? In your opinion, many would disagree with that. Again the example of the four US networks needing cancon in their schedule does not apply because it won't happen. Traditional broadcasting and streaming ain't the same thing. Apples and oranges are both fruit, but not the same. 

Big difference between buying Canadian shows to be used on their platform and forcing citizens to pay for it?- Huh? So using this theory anything not watched on a streaming service, you are being forced to pay for? And this would include any US shows offered that the customer doesn't watch or has no interest in, you are still paying for them? So all of that US stuff on Crave I am not looking at, I am being forced to pay for.

Imagine the reaction if Americans charged a tax to watch their shows? The tax is on the service not the show. If you watch a US, British or Canadian show or an Italian film dubbed in English the tax is on the service. As I mentioned in the previous post, countries in Europe have started or will be charging tax on these streaming services, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Canada is looking at it as well.

OK, if you don't mind forking over money you may never watch- Just like anything else, you can't watch or use everything on a service and you are paying for it whether you realize it or not. Lots of people pay school taxes all the years they owned a house and didn't have any kids, we pay taxes to help build a highway in Northern Ontario that we will never travel on. Maybe not the greatest examples but same idea.

To think you can force cancon rules on other countries is insane- Nobody is forcing other countries to show cancon  Netflix is big and rich but it isn't the USA. Many of these companies are already offering locally produced programming in the mix, so why would Canada be any different? And besides, as shown in the link in the previous post many of them are already showing  cancon already, even on their home service in the US.  I would be surprised if Netflix or Amazon and other large operators weren't offering local product in almost every country they are available. Basically it is good business, showing that you appreciate and understand the local market. And even though we live next door to our good US neighbours, Canada is no different. And to their credit, the big operators, seem to be getting this. 

January 29, 2020 11:23 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Not Canadian owned businesses and what right does the government have to impose our misguided content laws on them? Not Canadian owned but doing business here. When you are doing business in another country and in some cases setting up facilities and production you follow  the law of that country.

But I would contend they're not actually based here at all. The Internet has no "place" which is what makes it unique. It's not like a TV network, which has a physical presence. And that's why it annoys me to no end that the CRTC and its ilk want to regulate it. This is NOT being broadcast over the public airwaves. Therefore, it can be reasonably argued that the feds have no jurisdiction over it whatsoever. 

The new review wants to make the case that they do. And who knows where that will eventually lead?  I hate the term slippery slope but it applies. 

paterson1 wrote:

Netflix, Disney and Amazon..are already producing a lot of cancon.

If they're already producing a lot of Cancon, then what's the need for endless regulation to force them to make more? Seems it's only Cancon if it takes places in Nunavut, but not Alaska. Does it really matter that much as long as the production money stays put here?

paterson1 wrote:

Traditional broadcasting and streaming ain't the same thing.

You defeat your own argument here. If they're not the same thing, which I agree with, then they shouldn't be treated or regulated the same way. 

paterson1 wrote:

So all of that US stuff on Crave I am not looking at, I am being forced to pay for.

You at least have a choice of what you watch on a service you subscribe to and you know it's based in Canada going in. You also have the same choice about viewing Netflix or Disney+, but you shouldn't have to pay Canadian taxes for a service that isn't based here. What, exactly, has the government done to earn that? 

paterson1 wrote:

As I mentioned in the previous post, countries in Europe have started or will be charging tax on these streaming services, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Canada is looking at it as well.

This is a bit of a straw argument, but the former Soviet Union used to censor its broadcast services. China and North Korea do it now. Maybe Canada should do that here, because, hey, other countries do it, as well. The claim that just because someone else is doing something unethical (which I consider paying a tax I shouldn't owe for a product I will never use) and we should follow suit is not a world I want to live in. Unfortunately, we do.  

paterson1 wrote:

Just like anything else, you can't watch or use everything on a service and you are paying for it whether you realize it or not. Lots of people pay school taxes all the years they owned a house and didn't have any kids, we pay taxes to help build a highway in Northern Ontario that we will never travel on. Maybe not the greatest examples but same idea.

Yes, but roads and schools are for the "greater good" of everyone. Surely you can't be intimating that subscribing to Netflix serves that purpose. 

And I'm sorry for calling you Shirley.   

paterson1 wrote:

I would be surprised if Netflix or Amazon and other large operators weren't offering local product in almost every country they are available. Basically it is good business.

On that we can at least agree. There’s nothing wrong with showing another country some national love. But it shouldn’t be forced on anyone.

January 30, 2020 12:53 am  #10

Hi folks. I'm uneasy with this panel's report and recommendations. It seems to carry on the status quo of the last 30 or so years of broadcasting and support the broadcasting establishment we have. It looks like with this panel's recommendations, the TV & streaming we get will be more regulated and costly to all Canadians when we pay for our TV services bills.   

January 30, 2020 1:33 am  #11

Don't worry about calling me Shirley, at least you didn't ask me what a hospital was! Wish I was as quick on the keyboard as you.

Not based here, and don't have a physical presence like a network- Well not really, Access CBS, Netflix, Amazon and Disney all have a physical presence here with studios, employees and offices and other services have partnerships with Canadian broadcasters. True Canada is not their head office, but we are  a base for those choosing to set up a physical presence here.  GM, Toyota and Ford are not based here either, but they abide by our laws and regulations. Why are the steaming companies different?

Annoyed that the CRTC and the like want to regulate it, NOT being broadcast over the public airwaves, feds have no jurisdiction-   Point taken, but the wild west days of anything goes on the internet are over whether it be twitter, facebook or google. To allow these multi billion dollar services to be more or less unregulated and able to do anything they want when they want and to be unaccountable are gone. All of this is coming to a head, and it won't be in Canada. Streaming services rightly or wrongly are going to be regulated here and everywhere else. The impact on other competing traditional businesses is huge and as you become larger with more influence and yes success, comes more responsibilities and more expectations, similar to any other business. 

Ain't the same thing, you defeated your argument- I was making the point about the speculation about the four US networks being required to have cancon which isn't going to happen. Amazon Video and NBC are not the same.  The proposed regulations for streaming services will not be the same as traditional broadcasters.

So  you agree that when you subscribe to a streaming service you are also paying for the programming you aren't watching or have no interest in whether it be US, Canada, UK, children's programming etc.? My point was not so much the greater good but the fact we pay for many things that we don't want or even need. Yes it may not be right but it is part of life. 

Why should we pay tax for a service not based here and what has the government done to earn that tax-  The service being based here or not is irrelevant, if they are selling to Canadians and doing business here they should pay tax and or charge tax.  You can argue that some of them are based here since they have a specific Canadian service or have chosen to partner with a Canadian provider or broadcaster. Can't argue with you about what the government has done about earning the right about the tax. Government rarely earns the right!

Finally still can't agree cancon programming is being forced on anyone. If the customer doesn't consider other programming that they will never watch or have no interest in watching, as not being forced why would cancon be?   If they are paying for US programming that they don't watch, why is any cancon they don't watch considered differently? If the customer doesn't consider it a waste then why would cancon be? And if you don't want to watch it, just like any other program, don't watch it then.

If they are already making cancon then why endless regulations-  Unfortunately we live in a legal world and the regs will be there to ensure it continues and that there is a commitment.   Endless regs? The regs will likely be pretty simple and clear.

Interesting, I saw a story on the news tonight about all of this and Netflix released a comment on the report, they said that they were looking forward working with the government to update and modernize Canada's broadcast and telecommunications businesses.  The CBC also released a comment stating that asking the government for $300 million more to remove advertising on TV and various platforms was not a priority for them.

And to all a good night...zzzz

Last edited by paterson1 (January 30, 2020 1:38 am)

January 30, 2020 8:30 am  #12

RA and Patterson1: Excellent discussion. No name calling, insults and low blows. Both of you made valid points and I can see both sides of the argument. However, I would lean towards RA's point of view on this subject.

January 30, 2020 9:49 am  #13

Maybe they should rename it the Canadian Communications Commission Panel and do away with all pretexts.

Governing the airwaves, a finite resource, is one thing.  This shouldn't apply to data services carrying programming.

January 30, 2020 10:34 am  #14

mace wrote:

RA and Patterson1: Excellent discussion. No name calling, insults and low blows. Both of you made valid points and I can see both sides of the argument. However, I would lean towards RA's point of view on this subject.

Mace and Peter the K and of course RA, thanks for your comments. At least with all of these long posts my typing is improving.   Just got to work a bit on some of the grammar!

I think whatever happens regarding any regulations it is time that the whole industry is reviewed and updated and this is what is happening. I am sure the cancon regs will be modified, and likely loosened up in some areas for both radio and tv. Will they be cancelled altogether, probably not.  My position is that some cancon regs are necessary and they are not an overly arduous "burden" for the media. It should always be treated as part of the business plan, and after many years that is how it is mostly treated.

In terms of the streaming services and data services carrying programming, it will depend how each side presents their case and if they can educate the other.  Actually I am of the take this might not be as big an issue as we think.  This conversation is not only happening in Canada and the larger services appear to be more open to investments than they were even five or six years ago. The bureaucrats will not be the ones to finalize any deal.  It will be the people on both sides who are selling and persuading the other.  These are the people who will make whatever commitments or regulations are agreed to.  I wouldn't be surprised if an arrangement is worked out even before the end of the year.

Thanks again RA, mace, Peter the K and any other poor soul who took the time to read all the comments, arguments and positions...I appreciate your time, thoughts and considerations... 

Last edited by paterson1 (January 30, 2020 11:33 am)

January 30, 2020 12:07 pm  #15

Wow. Is this long. An apology for that to start. But I’ll make it my final word on this. (I hope.)

I, too, enjoyed the discourse, if for no other reason than it shows people can differ on a platform like this without resorting to name calling. That’s the tone I try to engender on SOWNY and I appreciate that so many posters are (mostly) willing to adhere to it.

And no, I’m not always right. (In fact, I wish I were correct more often!) But without refuting each point made in paterson1’s last post, there’s a reason I’m so passionate about this specific topic and why it’s hit such a nerve. It is, in effect, my #1 pet peeve in the world.

I was a media-obsessed teenager when the CanCon rules were first applied in Canada. (I’m still media obsessed, but those teen years are long since gone!) And I saw even then what it might mean to the broadcast industries I loved for a government to dictate content.

While I hated the idea (and still do) I will admit that the CanCon rules worked on radio, to help stimulate our recording industry. (Of course it cost the world CKLW, but the CRTC didn’t care about that.) But they were far less successful on TV. And it took away one of the great benefits of living on this side of the border.

A long time ago, before DVRs and VCRs, you actually had to be in front of your TV to watch a show. The Canadian stations would buy U.S. programs, as they do now, but because there was no simsub, they would show them at different times, allowing you to catch a program on American TV later on you might have missed because that show was on opposite something else you wanted to see – and there was no way to catch them both.

It was kind of like a built-in DVR, time shifting so you wouldn’t miss anything. That ended with the coming of cable and simultaneous substitution. But it was fun while it lasted!

Yes, there has to be some kind of ruling body that governs the airwaves, if for no other reason than what happened in the early days of radio when stations and hobbyists were overriding each other’s signals, leading to chaos. But I was disturbed then and continue to be (some would say I’ve been very disturbed for a long time, but that’s another matter entirely!) when a government tries to force content rules on the media.

It’s been my experience (and I’m betting a lot of people here) that bureaucratic intervention with almost anything rarely, if ever, results in any major improvements. Governments may decide to build a bridge. But they hire professional contractors to build it. Governments may make rules about health care. But I don’t expect to see the minister of health in my doctor’s office telling me what pill to take to cure my illness. I’m leaving that for someone with an M.D. by their name.

The same goes for broadcasting. Leave programming and on air decisions to the pros. That’s their business and for the most part, they know what they’re doing. If they’re wrong, the audience will let them know very quickly. Stop dictating content and forcing us to pay for it. It’s wrong to tell people what they can write, show or make, beyond say, slander and hate speech.

Simply and finally put, I want the government out of programming, although that ship has long since sailed. So let’s keep them out of the Internet while we can. It’s not their place to dictate what anyone wants to see – let alone to add insult to injury by charging us to do it.

Rant done. Thanks for a spirited back-and-forth. And enjoy your CanCon Mr. P! I will continue to watch my favourite shows based on whether they’re good – not because of where they were made.

January 30, 2020 3:32 pm  #16

RA: I remember those days when you could watch Gunsmoke on a Thursday via CHCH or Saturday on WBEN. I believe when CBC, CTV and CHCH went to Hollywood with their shopping lists each autumn, one of the conditions was pre-release rights so they could air their purchases ahead of the U.S. networks. The studios had no problem with this arrangement because it's just another sale. Simsub put an end to that as now the primetime CTV, CITY and Global schedules are almost carbon copies of the U.S. nets.                                                                                          Regarding the demise of CKLW, I think the move of Top 40 from AM to FM in Detroit was the main cause. The Can-Con regulations certainly didn't help. I believe they had planned to move the format to 93.9 around 1984 but the CRTC  denied their request because Top 40 belongs on AM and "Beautiful" music belongs on FM.

January 30, 2020 4:15 pm  #17

mace wrote:

Regarding the demise of CKLW, I think the move of Top 40 from AM to FM in Detroit was the main cause. The Can-Con regulations certainly didn't help. I believe they had planned to move the format to 93.9 around 1984 but the CRTC  denied their request because Top 40 belongs on AM and "Beautiful" music belongs on FM.

You may be right, but as noted, CanCon certainly didn't help, especially in the early 70s, when the FM pressure wasn't really a factor. The stations out of Detroit were not forced to play Anne Murray and Gordon Lightfoot ad nauseam and so people - including those in Windsor - voted with their dials. 

I've always found the CKLW story very ironic. The CRTC has always maintained it wants the Canadian David to be on as equal a footing as possible with the U.S. Goliaths and to get Canadians to listen to their own media. CKLW not only did that, it beat the Americans at their own game, repeatedly and solidly, book after book. So what did they do? Bring in onerous regulations that helped take the Big 8 down.

Here's a Canuck entity shining like a beacon against a flood of foreign competition and coming out #1. Instead of encouraging that, they did everything to kill it. I've never understood it and I never will. But rest in peace LW (or as Bill Gable used to call it off air "CK.") We will never see its like again.

January 30, 2020 5:58 pm  #18

CKLW was still number one in Detroit in 1976, and the cancon reg. took effect in January 1971.  So the softening of LW did have much more to do with the rise of  FM radio. The slide of CKLW ratings was happening the same time as other top 40 US giants like WLS, WABC, WCFL ,KHJ so I am not sure  how much cancon really was a factor. 

Those of us in the business who dislike the 30% cancon regs. like to think that was one of the main reasons for the demise the Big 8, but the numbers and time frame don't back that up.  Worth noting that by the late '70's and early 80's FM radios were becoming standard in many vehicles.

Also it was a fact that CKLW was instrumental in breaking Gordon Lightfoot and Anne Murray into the US market as well as many other Canadian artists. Even to this day I hear Anne and Gord more on XM Sirius  than on Canadian radio.

If cancon were a real issue with the demise of CKLW's popularity, it is odd  that their main AM Top 40 competition WKNR dropped the format in 1972, over one year after cancon became law.  A new Detroit FM rival also appeared in '72 with a top 40 format similar to CKLW.  However it would be five years, 1977 before WDRQ actually beat CKLW in the ratings.  WDRQ's time at number one was very brief. By 1979 they had tumbled out of the top 20 radio stations in Detroit and CKLW was still in the top 10.

And  my post a few weeks ago regarding the best top 40 station of all time, the three week survey was completed by readers/viewers of IN LINE, a US site, and they chose CKLW as the best top 40 station of all time. These people made many references about growing up and listening to  CKLW in the mid 70's when the 30% cancon ruling had been well established for 4 or 5 years.

January 30, 2020 6:47 pm  #19

I well recall hearing how CKLW tried to hide Canadian content in off hours until the CRTC put a stop to it. But the Commission didn't do them any favours when they instituted this rule. And while FM was certainly a factor in their final decline, being forced to play what was then often lesser hits (and let's face it, while some CanCon was pretty good, at the beginning you were forced to play whatever there was) could not have helped them across the border. 

I know we will always differ on this and that's OK, but I will forever hate the idea of any government dictating what must be played on public airwaves. While some will contend I'm taking it too far, it smacks of a dictatorship to me and it drives me crazy.

And as many here are aware, that's not a very long drive!

January 30, 2020 8:26 pm  #20

Early in the cancon era CKLW and many others did try to bury cancon in the so called "beaver hours." And yes this was brought to a halt pretty early.

CKLW always played lesser hits. One of their strengths was they would play local Detroit bands that were only popular in the Detroit/Windsor area. I am not talking the "Motown" label artists but groups that never really enjoyed much success outside of the immediate local area. A few did go on to bigger things and some didn't, but LW knew locally they were huge.  So some lesser known cancon wasn't that big a stretch for them; regardless the evidence is really that cancon maybe didn't help in some instances but it also didn't hurt them either. And again the timeline and even ratings confirm that.

I understand your dislike of government regs, and i don't agree with all them by any stretch. But I do have issues with implication of the government involved with program content. The CRTC doesn't appear to care what the actual content is, but rather that a certain percent is Canadian.  In 1971 and even now, I see nothing wrong with that. And we can argue if this smacks of a dictatorship, but talk to anyone who has actually lived in a dictatorship, there is no similarity. You mentioned yesterday that the CRTC has a bias against certain formats and I wasn't sure if you were referring to talk radio, specifically conservative talk which is huge in the US but not here.

On Oakley today he interviewed the head of the Legislative Revue Panel. She claims the changes they are going to propose and discuss will not be a tax on the consumer, and will not infringe on anyone's choice on what they want to watch on the internet or stream. She said they want to ensure that cancon is available and noticeable on various sites and there is an expectation of the large groups like Netflix, Amazon, Disney etc to contribute to Canadian programming similar to other "broadcasters." Whether is is achievable we will see and as I have said many times, these groups have been making investments and seem more open to this than even a few years ago.  Also what happens in other countries in this regard is a big factor.

Letting the professionals make the decisions like you mentioned above, I see your point.  But then I look at US radio and the fact that the "professionals" from 4 of the 5 biggest radio groups have declared bankruptcy in the last 10 years. That hasn't and doesn't happen here. It could, but so far not even close.  I give credit to some of the CRTC regs.  45 years ago they didn't award licenses like lollipops to almost anyone who wanted to start up a station, it was harder here and you had to have the ducks in order if you were applying. Typically Canadian they were likely too careful, but over the past 10 years US radio has seen the results of the other side. Not saying the CRTC was right or FCC is wrong, how new licenses were awarded, but these are the results right now.

Also right or wrong the CRTC has always been concerned about the impact on the other stations in the market, and if the advertising dollars are actually available for a new station.  I know this is the opposite of the FCC and US radio but the CRTC is not the FCC. Is it wrong or right, you can make a case for either side.  However overall this approach has served the industry and public well here and the proof is that our system seems to be healthier overall and has been for years. True not as exciting or dynamic as American radio but that has much more to do with programming and creativity than regulation.

Oh, I forgot, but just like you RA, I will also continue to watch the programs I want because they are good and not because of where they are made. Even though every so often I am happy to say some of them were made right here!

Last edited by paterson1 (January 30, 2020 9:15 pm)

January 30, 2020 8:50 pm  #21

You may be misinterpreting my implications of a "dictatorship." The Soviets, for example, used to jam signals coming into their country. I believe Cuba still does this. And yes, we still get to see the shows, so it's definitely different there, but simsub takes away my freedom of choice as to which station I want to watch. Kinda like an authoritarian regime might do, albeit admittedly for very different reasons.

I'm not saying the Commission tells stations what to run on CanCon. The fact they mandate it at all is the sin, in my mind. Stay out of my TV!!!!! But at least those are public airwaves. They MUST keep their grubby interfering mitts off the Internet.

As Peter Shurman pointed out on 640 Thursday, one of the original ideas behind the CRTC was to dole out the precious public resource that AM and FM provides. The Internet does not have those restrictions - there's infinite space - so those solons in Hull should have no say in it whatsoever. And once they start getting their hands in it, where does it end? I think we all know and fear that answer.  

My reference to a CRTC format bias usually has to do with rock or some form of it. Remember that old idiotic idea that you couldn't play hits on FM? The Commission cooked that one up. Stunningly stupid.

There is too much political correctness in how things are awarded these days, which explains the endless parade of ethnic stations on FM, without a single oldies station (and I don't count AM740's rebroadcaster as a full time oldies outlet) in Toronto. Maybe owners have decided it's a loser. But there are few other markets without one. Even if there was spectrum space, I can't see that we'll ever get one. The CRTC obviously isn't fond of the idea for Toronto, so instead it will go to, who knows, an all climate-fighting weather and traffic format instead. As long as all the right boxes are checked. 

As for the woman behind the big report, she had the temerity to go on more than one radio station today and insist that adding a tax to streaming services would not raise the price for consumers. What planet is she living on? It's obvious to anyone that any company will pass the cost along. It's the way business works. And if you believe her, I have a bridge to sell you. Several in fact. All made here, so they're CanCon. 

Finally, while greedhogs like iHeart and Cumulus certainly share the blame for the economic disaster that is U.S. radio, the real fault lies with the FCC for removing rules that allowed these guys to own 500 stations (an exaggeration, but only a bit!) in every market. That was a disastrous decision and it's how they got where they are now. It was a stupid thing to do and the outcome was pretty predictable.

I will give the CRTC credit for checking to see if a proposed station is economically viable. But I sometimes worry that they're too heavily influenced by Interventions from the big guys like Bell, Rogers or Corus who are ALWAYS against having any competition. Just like with cell phones, they too often get away with it.

As the situation in the U.S.has proven, a little competition is a good thing.

A lot is even better. 

January 30, 2020 9:30 pm  #22

Surely there's room for an ethnically-diverse oldies station. Hits from the Punjab from 1958. The 1963 Hong Kong Top Ten. What were teens grooving to in Somalia during the Summer of Love? 

January 31, 2020 11:42 am  #23

Another format missing from the Toronto market is Country. Yes I know 94.7 and 95.9 are available for those who enjoy that format. I think 92.5 was the last station to program Country. Any thoughts on why it doesn't work?

January 31, 2020 5:03 pm  #24

mace wrote:

Another format missing from the Toronto market is Country. Yes I know 94.7 and 95.9 are available for those who enjoy that format. I think 92.5 was the last station to program Country. Any thoughts on why it doesn't work?

I have wondered this as well.  92.5 as I recall started off strong and had decent ratings but it didn't seem that the station was really around as a country outlet that long. Maybe 3 or 4 years?  With over 7 million people in the GTA and 2.5 million in Toronto proper, there should be more than enough listeners for a country station.  And the bonus is that country music fans tend to be big radio listeners. A country station will never be number one or even in the top 3, but I can't see why it wouldn't be successful and profitable. I guess we are missing something?

As we mentioned earlier, any of the group 2 music stations obviously one that is way down in the ratings could flip to country anytime, so no need to apply for a new station or anything like that.

Oldies is another thing. The two former oldies stations where I live (Guelph's CJOY and K-W's Oldies 1090/KFUN)  both moved years ago to a more Greatest Hits or Classic Hits format with music of the 70's - 90's with just a sprinkling of some '60's music but very little.  CJOY is actually playing some non hits or secondary hits especially from the '80's with live cuts also included. The closest to oldies around here would be The Grand at 92.5 which is more or less a copy of CKOC when it had an oldies format, and they still do play some music from the '50's. CFOS in Owen Sound would also be the closest I can think of to an oldies type format.

I guess the thing about oldies would be the demographics it tends to attract, but having said that I have met quite a few young people, even distant younger relatives that seem to really like the music of the 60's and 70's, so maybe with some slick marketing who knows?  Again no need to even apply for a license, just a station in ratings distress that wants to try something different.

February 1, 2020 10:13 am  #25

Paterson1- Since you like oldies, may I suggest 1440 WJJL in Niagara Falls, N.Y. Not really available in Toronto because of splatter from 1430 but their 1000 watt signal improves greatly travelling further west. They have an extremely deep playlist concentrating on 50's, 60's and 70's. Unfortunately, their 55 watt night signal barely crosses the border and the station currently has no streaming capability.

February 1, 2020 1:14 pm  #26

Thanks mace! I pretty much like all radio. Tuned in WJJL this morning but all the music was Italian, looks like they have a lot of block programming too. I will go again in the evening sometime.

But one of the best oldies stations around is our buddy Dale Patterson's Oh Wow! Songs That Radio Forgot. Love all of the lesser, forgotten hits and lots of good ol' cancon too!  His station just keeps getting better and better! Keep up the great work Dale!  

Last edited by paterson1 (February 1, 2020 1:15 pm)

February 1, 2020 1:24 pm  #27

WJJL radio does stream.  They can be found at wjjlradio.com .

Give them a try after 3:00 Saturday when their hispanic programming ends.

February 1, 2020 3:01 pm  #28

Thank you sir, Yes I was on their site this morning. I later noticed all the block programming in the daytime.

February 1, 2020 3:42 pm  #29

No problem.  To be honest, I had no idea until I checked out their website on a whim this morning. 

I even checked WXRL's web page just in case they're streaming, but alas, no.  (Sorry, but I can't stand "modern" country music)

February 1, 2020 6:08 pm  #30

paterson1 wrote:

I think before everyone gets their shorts in a knot and jump to conclusion is the fact that Netflix and Amazon are already showing and producing lots of cancon, and they are doing so willingly. And even more interesting is  that they are showing a decent amount of cancon on their services in the US as well. And I am not talking about shows just shot in Canada, shows like Being Erica, Murdoch Mysteries, Corner Gas, Schitt's Creek, Durham County and many more currently offered on various US platforms. 

If Netflix, Disney etc is going to produce CANCON then they should be completely funding the project without funds from the Provincial or Federal Grant programs.  Shooting a few minutes worth in Canada and getting free money to do so is not creating Canadian content.  Disneys first big production The Morning Show" had Ontario and Quebec funding.  Thats a long stretch to call it Cancon.