sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2019 9:04 pm  #1

Family Feud Canada

Whoever thought Gerry Dee was a strong enough personality to front Family Feud Canada?  Was wrong.  At least it isn't Eugene Levy I guess.

December 26, 2019 9:36 pm  #2

Re: Family Feud Canada

So I'm guessing you grade him a Dee Minus...

December 26, 2019 9:43 pm  #3

I think the host is fine.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 27, 2019 1:26 pm  #4

Why do we have copy the Excited States? It's somewhat embarrassing in that the second place team receives $200 worth of board games and a hearty handshake. At least we can hold our heads high in that the Yanks copied "Dragon's Den" Maybe the US could reboot "Littlest Hobo", the Beachcombers", "Reach for the Top" or "the Forrest Rangers" 

December 27, 2019 2:27 pm  #5

radiodazewarrior wrote:

Why do we have copy the Excited States? It's somewhat embarrassing in that the second place team receives $200 worth of board games and a hearty handshake. At least we can hold our heads high in that the Yanks copied "Dragon's Den" Maybe the US could reboot "Littlest Hobo", the Beachcombers", "Reach for the Top" or "the Forrest Rangers" 

I recall channel 4 Buffalo doing a quiz show "It's Academic", which was similar to Reach For The Top.   Hosted by Van Miller I believe.  

December 27, 2019 4:30 pm  #6

I honestly thought the days of copying American TV shows was long over. I'm old enough, alas, to remember the  Canadian version of Howdy Doody.  I didn't watch it, but I remember it. None of us hordes of post war kids did. (To be honest, I didn't watch the U-S version either: man that dude creeped me out!) 

As radiodazewarrior said, Canadians can compete internationally if we try. To add to his list,   Degrassi in all its incarnations; You Can't Do That on Television (why hello there,  Alanis!); The Galloping Gourmet; Murdock Mysteries; Schitts Creek (Carol Burnett said it was her favourite comedy right now!!) and, of course, Corner Gas. All eminently salable.

And yet the CBC decided to go this route. I don't get it.

December 27, 2019 6:11 pm  #7

potentiometer wrote:

I honestly thought the days of copying American TV shows was long over. I'm old enough, alas, to remember the  Canadian version of Howdy Doody.  I didn't watch it, but I remember it. None of us hordes of post war kids did. (To be honest, I didn't watch the U-S version either: man that dude creeped me out!)

You must've missed The Amazing Race Canada, Big Brother Canada, Iron Chef Canada, MasterChef Canada, Top Chef Canada, etc. Formats have been big on Canadian TV for years.

December 27, 2019 6:17 pm  #8

You're absolutely right, Retaw!   Boy, is my face red!  

December 27, 2019 7:16 pm  #9

I still maintain that there is nothing wrong with CBC doing a show like this. I am amazed how  many in other media are so against it.  The Globe and Mail is acting like it is some national embarrassment  that CBC would produce such a show. Globe, get over yourself! Was it a national embarrassment when your paper finally included colour photos on the front page, about 30 years after the Star, Toronto Sun and every other paper in the country?

The only embarrassment would be the fact that no Canadian broadcaster is actually producing any game shows. And nobody did last year either, and the year before.  So, CBC over to you. 

Almost seems like some critics are terrified the show might actually be popular, and this will open the flood gates of CBC doing more "populist" programming. 

Radio Canada has always been more mainstream than the English network and right now it's the French network paying the freight.  Radio Canada brings in more advertising dollars than the larger English CBC. RC also usually beats the private TVA network in the ratings.   That's why Pierre Peladeau and Quebecor hate Radio Canada so much.

Still way to early to say if the show will be a success or flop.  The real test will be in the new year when TV schedules are back to normal and everyone will be finished showing repeats and seasonal programming.

Family Feud Canada will be up against the US version with Steve Harvey, and the king of all game shows, Jeopardy with Alex Trebek. The first rating for the show was encouraging though with an increase of 36% for CBC when it debuted last week in a special time at 8pm.

December 27, 2019 8:44 pm  #10

I'd much rather CBC use tax dollars to make shows people actually watch than the multiple series they've produced that struggle to reach even 200k in primetime.

January 9, 2020 1:48 pm  #11

From Twelve Thirty Six:  "The Search For Canada's Game Shows" coming to Game TV; commencing January 16, 2020.

Last edited by Media Observer (January 9, 2020 1:53 pm)

January 9, 2020 4:10 pm  #12

radiodazewarrior wrote:

At least we can hold our heads high in that the Yanks copied "Dragon's Den"

Dragons' Den series have been produced in numerous different countries. Apart from Japan (where the show debuted) the show names, structures, and styles are based upon the UK version.

SOURCE: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons%27_Den#Format

January 9, 2020 4:11 pm  #13

Survey says: Hamilton’s Torres family to appear on Family Feud Canada 

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/news-story/9802729-survey-says-hamilton-s-torres-family-to-appear-on-family-feud-canada/                                                                                        

January 9, 2020 6:26 pm  #14

Media Observer wrote:

From Twelve Thirty Six:  "The Search For Canada's Game Shows" coming to Game TV; commencing January 16, 2020.

The first two episodes are being streamed for free online, in case this series interests you. Not sure how long they'll be up there gratis, so watch it while you can here

January 9, 2020 10:49 pm  #15

Who can forget this Canadian Gem...with the late Dan Gallagher and Bill Carroll (yes of CFRB, CFRA, 640 Toronto) as the MC...

It was a classic at the time and kind of fun in a very cheap way...

Here is a sample show...we all probably had hair back then!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (January 9, 2020 10:50 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 10, 2020 12:17 am  #16

It's been a few weeks, but the last time I was taking the TTC subway, there were loads of ads everywhere about the show.   I'm talking wall murals at Union Station, not the usual stuff.    I have no interest in the show and I am of two minds over the advertising.   Is my tax money being wasted or is it great to see the TTC get solid ad sales?  Like they don't anyway.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (January 10, 2020 12:18 am)

January 10, 2020 12:21 am  #17

Retaw wrote:

I'd much rather CBC use tax dollars to make shows people actually watch than the multiple series they've produced that struggle to reach even 200k in primetime.

I agree.   The CBC went into overdrive with ads for this show and it's far from a new idea!   Tired old crap from the past.

January 10, 2020 10:36 am  #18

ladies and gentleman here's the liberal party family!.. and here's the family they're taking on... the conservative party family!...   now let's play ... the family fuuuuued!

January 10, 2020 2:12 pm  #19

Speaking of game shows, even they can prove controversial at times. I never watch The Price Is Right, but turned on my set just as the final credits were rolling on Friday, just ahead of the noon news. I saw a note at the very end that said, "This episode was filmed before the wildfires in Australia." I'm guessing they must have offered a trip there as one of the prizes. 

I'm surprised they didn't pull the episode but perhaps they don't have reruns on that show and it would have left them in the lurch. Interesting that they were able to insert that in post.

It's not often current events affect a simple game show, but it happened in this case.

January 10, 2020 3:08 pm  #20

the original hank wrote:

ladies and gentleman here's the liberal party family!.. and here's the family they're taking on... the conservative party family!...   now let's play ... the family fuuuuued!

January 10, 2020 3:08 pm  #21

SpinningWheel wrote:

It's been a few weeks, but the last time I was taking the TTC subway, there were loads of ads everywhere about the show.   I'm talking wall murals at Union Station, not the usual stuff.    I have no interest in the show and I am of two minds over the advertising.   Is my tax money being wasted or is it great to see the TTC get solid ad sales?  Like they don't anyway.

I haven't seen those ads, but I'd have the same reaction to them as you re how the CBC is using its money. As for the TTC, my recollection (from when I worked there) is that they put out tenders every few years and select the company that submits the highest compliant bid for the rights to sell the ad space. So I think that the main benefit for the TTC would just be that the more that Pattison (who currently have the rights) are able to sell ad space, the more that the TTC might receive the next time they put out a tender. So my own perspective would be that I'm happy enough to see ad space being sold on the TTC, but I would question that this is a good use of the CBC's ad budget. In general I've felt over the years that advertising for TV shows on the subway isn't effective with me, because I never think about what ads I've seen there when I put on the TV. 

January 10, 2020 4:33 pm  #22

A funny clip from Family Feud Canada of a contestant that was overly confident in her answer in a sudden death final round. Jim Richard's on Newstalk 1010 is going to talk to Gerry Dee later this afternoon about the clip which has gone as they say "viral".  There is another longer clip if you scroll down of some other questions that didn't make it to television, with the same contestants answering fairly easy questions incorrectly.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/01/family-feud-canada-viral-video.html

Last edited by paterson1 (January 10, 2020 4:51 pm)

January 10, 2020 7:39 pm  #23

She's somewhat reminiscent of Gilda Radner's classic Emily Litella character - "Oh, that's completely different. Never mind!"

January 10, 2020 10:21 pm  #24

Is that chair girl??? lol, that was actually funny and so is he... (Gerry Dee)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 10, 2020 10:56 pm  #25

paterson1 wrote:

A funny clip from Family Feud Canada of a contestant that was overly confident in her answer in a sudden death final round. Jim Richard's on Newstalk 1010 is going to talk to Gerry Dee later this afternoon about the clip which has gone as they say "viral". 

Thank GOD the gentleman on the right said the word "Spinach".
This could have gone on forever!  lol

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 10, 2020 11:05 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 11, 2020 10:04 am  #26

Guess I was one of the few who actually saw this answer live. I enjoyed the chicken dance but there was a much hotter contestant on the other side.

January 13, 2020 2:40 am  #27

Lorne wrote:

SpinningWheel wrote:

I haven't seen those ads, but I'd have the same reaction to them as you re how the CBC is using its money. As for the TTC, my recollection (from when I worked there) is that they put out tenders every few years and select the company that submits the highest compliant bid for the rights to sell the ad space. So I think that the main benefit for the TTC would just be that the more that Pattison (who currently have the rights) are able to sell ad space, the more that the TTC might receive the next time they put out a tender. So my own perspective would be that I'm happy enough to see ad space being sold on the TTC, but I would question that this is a good use of the CBC's ad budget. In general I've felt over the years that advertising for TV shows on the subway isn't effective with me, because I never think about what ads I've seen there when I put on the TV. 

"No watches the CBC!"
"The CBC shouldn't promote itself!"

How would you like them to get viewers if they can't promote what they're airing?  

January 13, 2020 10:13 am  #28

Not sure if this question is for me, but I'm certainly ok with the CBC promoting itself. My comment pertained to whether "station domination" (that's the term that is used for wall-to-wall advertising at subway stations) is an effective way of advertising TV programming. I've seen it done before by private broadcasters, and I've had the same thoughts. I would only think about whatever was being advertised when I'd be at the subway station in question, but never when I was at home. And this was despite the fact that I saw it being done at Bloor-Yonge, a station I was going through on my way home on a daily basis. 
As for the CBC specifically, I see a lot of their ads on other TV channels and I've wondered about something. I'm a Rogers subscriber, and I know that Rogers is able to insert a certain amount of advertising on CNN (probably other channels as well--I'm just citing CNN because I know that's the case with them). That's had me wondering if the CBC has to pay for this advertising or not. When Rogers made their deal with the CBC to still have them carry Hockey Night in Canada after Rogers acquired the rights to it, I know that in return the CBC was allowed to promote their programs during those broadcasts. But I'm wondering if Rogers also gives the CBC any other ad time on stations like CNN, without the CBC having to pay for this. I've actually hoped that this is the case, given that promoting other programs is basically all that the CBC is receiving in return under the terms of this deal. In any event, however, I think that this type of advertising is a better way for the CBC (or any other TV broadcaster, for that matter) to promote their programming. 

January 13, 2020 2:38 pm  #29

As I understand it, the big U.S. cable channels, CNN, A&E, etc. allot several minutes of each hour for local cable/sattelite providers to insert local ads or promotional filler. Rogers uses the time for highlighting their on demand service and for promotions of CBC and CITY programming. When my parents had a Shaw sattelite, those minutes were used to illustrate what a wonderful service provider Shaw was.

January 13, 2020 3:34 pm  #30

Thanks, mace ... that's what I had thought was probably the case. I see a lot of CBC ads that way, and I just wish that they would make better use of the ad time that they're allotted. I've seen the CBC use the same ad over and over on CNN, whereas on the CBC itself I'll see that they'll be using a greater variety of ads to promote the same shows. But even so, these ads are a lot more effective for me than things like station domination campaigns -- and they likely don't cost the CBC nearly as much even if production costs are factored in.