sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2019 9:40 pm  #1

Is Don Cherry's Ouster Killing Hockey Night In Canada's Ratings?

According to an article in the Toronto Sun, it is. I'm not entirely sure I agree with that conclusion, although I'm sure it's a factor for some and it certainly didn't help the broadcast.

You can decide for yourself if you agree: 

Dumping Don Cherry hurting HNIC ratings

December 25, 2019 10:16 am  #2

Re: Is Don Cherry's Ouster Killing Hockey Night In Canada's Ratings?

I suspect the more inconsistent play this year of the Leafs, Flames & Jets has much more to do with a drop in viewership than  losing a 6 minute intermission rant by a archaic hockey fossil.  Correlation does not necessarily imply Causation. 

December 27, 2019 10:53 am  #3

g121 wrote:

I suspect the more inconsistent play this year of the Leafs, Flames & Jets has much more to do with a drop in viewership than  losing a 6 minute intermission rant by a archaic hockey fossil.  Correlation does not necessarily imply Causation. 

And an argument which is reduced to ad hominem attack is by definition fallacious.

December 27, 2019 12:43 pm  #4

Are things really that bad at Postmedia that they have to rely on the free Numeris data? I'm sure subscribers have a more accurate gauge of how things are doing post-Coach's Corner. Viewership dropoff during live sports can be difficult to judge because so much of it is context related (if the game turns into a blowout, people tend to leave), but comparing the audience retention of Coach's Corner to what's replaced it doesn't seem like an impossible task.

December 27, 2019 1:08 pm  #5

I certainly don't tune into HNIC like I used to and I absolutely detest "the Social".

December 27, 2019 2:17 pm  #6

I work until 8pm on Saturdays so I never see the 1st intermission on HNIC. What has replaced Coach's Corner?

December 28, 2019 12:56 pm  #7

6079 Smith W wrote:

g121 wrote:

And an argument which is reduced to ad hominem attack is by definition fallacious.

Sorry, disagree. 

It's been years since Cherry has been able to talk in coherent, full sentences. Plus his view of many aspects of the game are indeed archaic.  

He should have retired gracefully years ago.  His legacy would have been far greater.

February 2, 2020 7:46 am  #8

mace wrote:

What has replaced Coach's Corner?

Brian Burke for the time being, however Cam Stewart is said to be short-listed

March 10, 2020 4:37 pm  #9

Don who?