sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 5, 2019 12:20 am  #1

Drake Named Artist of the Decade

Streaming giant Spotify and Billboard Magazine have named Toronto's Drake as Artist of the Decade. Spotify reports that from 2010 to December 2019 Drakes music was streamed over 28 billion times, more than any other artist or group.

Not really my kind of music, but  respect to "Drizzy" who often seems more  popular outside of Canada, although he was the most streamed artist here as well. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/spotify-reveals-the-decades-biggest-songs-and-artists-drake-streaming/  

December 5, 2019 5:42 am  #2

Re: Drake Named Artist of the Decade

Drake may be the "Artist of the Decade" but right now he's also being called out very publicly on social media by some pretty angry people for his unseemly alleged, though apparently documented habit of texting and calling very underage girls, (under 16) some of them famous, chatting them up, and pursuing them.

Depending on how this develops, radio stations could be looking at reducing his airplay, or dropping him altogether if the story doesn't die down, and the police end up getting involved.

Last edited by betaylored (December 5, 2019 5:45 am)

December 5, 2019 6:15 am  #3

Wasn't Taylor Swift recently named "Artist of the Decade" at the AMAs? 🥇

December 5, 2019 8:02 am  #4

In today's Here today, gone later today world, will Drake and his so called music be around ten years from now. Probably not on Top 40 radio. Maybe on a Rap Gold or Retro Rap formatted station.

December 5, 2019 12:17 pm  #5

Drake = Monotone. At least to my ears...

December 5, 2019 12:28 pm  #6

Saul wrote:

Drake = Monotone. At least to my ears...

"YO! Where 50 cent at? Me no like Drake!"...said nobody ever!  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 5, 2019 3:08 pm  #7

December 5, 2019 8:01 pm  #8

mace wrote:

In today's Here today, gone later today world, will Drake and his so called music be around ten years from now. Probably not on Top 40 radio. Maybe on a Rap Gold or Retro Rap formatted station.

Well, not exactly true...Drake first charted in 2009 and has charted fairly consistently over the last decade. Nowadays that's considered longevity.

December 5, 2019 8:36 pm  #9

Instrumentally some of his music is very good. It's when he opens his mouth and starts singing I feel like I'm listening to valium. 

December 6, 2019 11:24 am  #11

alangee wrote:

Instrumentally some of his music is very good. It's when he opens his mouth and starts singing I feel like I'm listening to valium. 

Valium, yes - that describes his voice so perfectly. I'll have to pay more attention to the instrumental side. Maybe the voice was such a turn-off I didn't notice.