sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2019 1:57 am  #1

This One’s For You, Mom

Forgive me for getting personal if you actually take the time to read this. I’ve been reflecting recently on how much your parents sometimes inadvertently influence your career. Neither my mother nor my father ever tried to convince me NOT to go into broadcasting, which as many here know, is anything but a stable career. But they never once tried to talk me out of it and fortunately I did pretty well.

In fact, my mother was sort of responsible for my getting into the industry at all. Way back in the early 70s, she was listening to some obscure radio station, when the DJ announced a contest. My mother called and won, and as a radio obsessed kid, I went all the way downtown with her to claim her prize – a record album. (It was a pretty cheap place!)

When the morning guy came out to meet the “winner,” I nervously asked him, “how do you get into radio?” I’ll never forget his answer. “Why don’t you show up at 6 o’clock Saturday morning and find out?” I was all of 15, too young to drive and he probably thought I’d never take him up on it, but I did and for 6 glorious months, I learned everything from how to op a board,  how to cue up records and how to read a log. It wouldn’t have happened if not for her.

A few years later, I was working my first professional job in the CKEY newsroom, when the phone rang. It was my mother. “Your father and I are standing in this plaza and there seems to be a lot of police here and they’re keeping people away. Something’s going on inside the bank,” she told me.

I rolled tape, got a clip with her and then, in my naiveté, looked up the number for the bank and with the tape going, a guy answered. When I asked him what was happening there, he told me he’d taken a group of customers and tellers hostage and was going to shoot them all if the cops didn’t deliver his previously arrested partner-in-crime to the scene.

We talked for only about a minute, but I had an exclusive that we went hard with all day, a piece of tape that eventually wound up as the lead on CBS Radio’s nationwide newscast in the U.S. for several hours.

The cops were furious with me, claiming I’d risked the life of the hostages. In my defence, I was new at this and had no idea what I was doing – or that he was even in there, let alone willing to answer the phone.

And although the standoff ended peacefully, my boss chewed me out, then promptly gave me a small raise for my efforts. Definitely a mixed message!

But none of it would have happened without that original call from my parent.

Sadly, I won't be hearing that voice any more. My mom passed away in hospital at precisely 10:10 Tuesday night, after I’d seen her one last time that afternoon. It is a horrible loss and one that’s going to take me a long, long time to get over. I’m sure the tears will eventually stop, but I can’t see that far ahead right now and they're obscuring my vision.

But I just wanted to publicly acknowledge her for a career that in some ways I probably would never have had without her.

Thanks Mom, I will miss you for a very long time.

And I definitely won’t be the same without you.

November 20, 2019 2:58 am  #2

Re: This One’s For You, Mom

condolences to you and your family. my mother passed in july.

November 20, 2019 5:00 am  #3

RadioActive the part your mom played in your career in radio is an amazing, wonderful story.

I wrote things down when my mom died, random memories, writing helps.

Mothers know us the way no one else can.

My sincere condolences to you and your family on the passing of your mom. 🙏

Last edited by betaylored (November 20, 2019 5:18 am)

November 20, 2019 6:39 am  #4

Losing a parent is incredibly difficult.  My mom passed away in 1997, at the far too young age of 45 - she had colon cancer that spread to her liver.  I was only 13 at the time, just a few days from grade 8 graduation.  If only my mom could see all of my accomplishments over the years... finishing high school and conquering college, working full-time in radio, being happily married to a beautiful and amazing woman...

At the beginning of this year, I lost my dad to a heart attack at 70, and I'm still having a tough time with grief related to that - this past weekend, it was so intense that I could not stop crying for several hours.  In the weeks and months after a death, grief will hit you at what seem like random times, sometimes with no apparent trigger, and it's totally acceptable, totally normal to do whatever the grief makes you do.  Everybody grieves in their own way and at their own pace.

I miss both of my parents so much, and I agree with RA - life is not the same without one's parents.  In the days and weeks ahead, RA and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

November 20, 2019 9:38 am  #5

My deepest condolences to you RA. I remember what it was like when my mother passed over 20 years ago. It was - and remains - very sad but she is in my heart at all times.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 20, 2019 9:52 am  #6

RA: Hopefully, your Mom lead a long , fruitful and enjoyable life.The radio connection was with her to the very end. She passed away at 10:10.

November 20, 2019 9:52 am  #7

What a wonderful tribute to your Mother.  It even brought a tear to this grizzled old eye.
Condolences to you, RA.  I'm sorry for your loss.

--Peter

November 20, 2019 10:52 am  #8

What a nice story about your mom RA, and I am sure you will remember many more special moments in the days ahead.  The bond between a mother and son is special, and will always be there. I pray for strength for you and your family over the next few days and weeks. And that friends and community bring you and your family comfort, understanding and friendship during this time of loss.

November 20, 2019 12:22 pm  #9

A very touching story.
Deepest sympathies.

November 20, 2019 1:11 pm  #10

ahhh RadioActive - That's a sad but inspirational moment you have shared. And please - keep all the memories of your Mom close to your heart. They get even better with time.

From all of us here - our thoughts to you and the rest of your family. d

Last edited by Marsden (November 20, 2019 1:13 pm)

November 20, 2019 4:15 pm  #11

My condolences RA.  Your tribute was thoughtful and touching.

I lost my dad 20 years ago and my mom 10 years past.  As Christmas approaches the memories and feelings are amplified.  Take care of yourself and your family.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 20, 2019 7:54 pm)

November 20, 2019 8:33 pm  #12

RA, sorry for your loss. Your post brought back a memory of my mom sitting on her driveway in Toronto, listening to me on CFPL on her car radio, many decades ago.    Condolences to you and your family.

November 20, 2019 9:55 pm  #13

Sorry for your loss. My father passed on Nov 19 as well but in 1997. Lost my mother in 2014. What I can offer is this. You never get over the loss of your parents. You do learn to live with it. What I have learned is your not a real adult until both parents are gone. Until then, you are still somebody's child. 

November 20, 2019 10:00 pm  #14

Wow RA, wishing you grace and comfort right now and to be patient with yourself and life right now...thanks for sharing and for being an amazing moderator...

My mom passed a few years ago (Alzheimer's) and Pneumonia ...but she came into the radio station with me twice when I did my radio show...it was really cool...

Blessings RA

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 20, 2019 10:55 pm  #15

To all who read and responded - my deepest thanks. I have been very touched by your outpouring of sympathy and your stories during what's been the worst month of my life. My dad's been gone for over a decade but somehow losing your mom seems even worse. I was her caregiver for over 15 years and we grew very close, so losing her is a huge blow.

Adding to the stress and what's been a month of sleepless nights is the planning for the funeral and I haven't been able to give SOWNY all the attention it deserves, so please bear with me. 

I thought long and hard before posting the original message, since the Internet is not always kind to displays of real emotion. Mine are raw right now, but I'm very grateful to all here who took the time to respond. It means more to me than you can know. 

My mom would be so touched by all of you, and believe me when I say that's the biggest compliment I can give you! I only wish she could be here to read it all.

November 21, 2019 1:37 am  #16

Very beautiful tribute, RA. Thanks for sharing, and my deepest condolences.

November 21, 2019 10:27 am  #17

Beautifully written, RA. I'm so sorry for your loss. 

November 21, 2019 10:38 am  #18

A wonderful tribute to your Mother RA.  My Mother passed in March of 2004.  I still miss her every day.  I used to play her Hank Snow's "Mother."  She laughed and enjoyed it every time.  All the very best D.

November 21, 2019 4:16 pm  #19

RA, your own Dog Day Afternoon! 
Lovely tribute to your mother - it's often that silent support, just being very much present and positive, that nudges kids in the right direction. My condolences.

November 21, 2019 4:17 pm  #20

What a beautiful tribute.  I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss.  May she rest in peace.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 21, 2019 4:42 pm  #21

When my father died, the great Steve Madely sent me a card that said, "May your memories comfort you." That card and the sentiment it expressed helped. Quite a bit actually.  I wish the same for you.

November 21, 2019 9:30 pm  #22

RA, that was a beautiful and touching tribute to your mother. I lost my dad in 2012 but at times it stills feels like yesterday. Despite the loss, the wonderful memories of all he did with and for the family continue to give me comfort. May you find comfort in the wonderful memories your mother provided for you. Condolences to you and yours.