sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 10, 2019 7:53 am  #1

Is Don Cherry Done After Remembrance Day Tirade ?

With Don Cherry's latest HNIC tirade, this time against immigrants not buying/wearing poppies for Remembrance Day, the early Sunday morning tweet from Newstalk 1010s John Moore captures how more and more Canadians are feeling: "When does Don Cherry stop being the crazy old uncle you roll your eyes at and start being the guy who loses his job because he's an awful person?"

No doubt Cherry's views will be a topic for discussion on the various radio panels, and on-air in general this Monday, tomorrow. Perhaps the trickiest angle up for debate is the co-host of "Coach's Corner" Ron MacLean's part in Saturday's rant, and the simplest angle is the mystery of the CBC's current unwillingness to address Mr. Cherry's on-air performance.

November 10, 2019 8:19 am  #2

Re: Is Don Cherry Done After Remembrance Day Tirade ?

Mr. Cherry works for Rogers... he's their 'asset' not CBC's. 

November 10, 2019 9:14 am  #3

zed wrote:

Mr. Cherry works for Rogers... he's their 'asset' not CBC's. 

Just popped back on to point out that Don Cherry is under contract with Rogers, but you've already done so zed, thanks.

Still, it's not at all a good look for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, no matter who actually signs the cheque.

November 10, 2019 12:40 pm  #4

I watched the segment last night. I didn't hear either gentleman say anything that wasn't true. 

November 10, 2019 1:30 pm  #5

Given the amount of cash Rogers paid for the rights, they need all the live bodies possible watching their product. So, his segment did what they wanted: kept the show top of mind.

Beyond tradition, what's the point of his segment? If he simply talked hockey, that's understandable. When he ventures outside that mandate, what's the point?

Last edited by TheConsultant (November 10, 2019 1:31 pm)

November 10, 2019 2:27 pm  #6

mic'em wrote:

I watched the segment last night. I didn't hear either gentleman say anything that wasn't true. 

I think you meant to post on the Puget Sound message board.

November 10, 2019 4:30 pm  #7

I will never not find it hysterical how people get upset over a man in his 80s ranting. I swear, every year there's at least one "Has Don gone too far?" and I can't help but laugh. I thought we hit our quota with last week's "outrage" over Scott Sabourin, but the machine carries on.

November 10, 2019 4:36 pm  #8

Rogers and Sportsnet has officially apologized for the comments - but it's worth noting that, as of this posting, Cherry is still working there.

Sportsnet apologizes for Don Cherry's anti-immigrant comments

November 10, 2019 4:38 pm  #9

If it were anyone else, he'd likely be shown the door, but Don Cherry still gets ratings so they'll probably just let this go.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 10, 2019 4:40 pm  #10

@ Holliday -- ouch!

November 10, 2019 5:20 pm  #11

So, let me understand this: how is Cherry's rant against the immigrants NOT MANDITORILY wearing poppies "bullying" someone into wearing a poppy? How is he not making my point for me? Seems the Nazis wanted the new race to look alike. Seems there was a war fought against that. But, oh, "he's a doddering old guy...". Right?!

November 10, 2019 6:36 pm  #12

He should have been put to pasture a long time ago, but hey...money.

November 10, 2019 6:46 pm  #13

Holliday wrote:

mic'em wrote:

I think you meant to post on the Puget Sound message board.

No, as the son of a long serving military member  in the Canadian Armed forces, I believe every person in this country should show the respect the people who gave us the freedom we enjoy today deserve. Whether it be a red, poppy, white  or the rainbow one ,that was Cherry's point. Only a fool would not understand that. You don't like it, too bad. 

Last edited by mic'em (November 10, 2019 6:48 pm)

November 10, 2019 7:41 pm  #14

He is 85. What he said is true and CBC is so politically correct it is staggering...I personally think his assessment is right.

Frig Donald Trump is President of the U.S. and says worse things than this. Leave him alone, slap his wrist and maybe next season, try something new. Coaches Corner is getting a bit stale.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 10, 2019 7:57 pm  #15

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

He is 85. What he said is true and CBC is so politically correct it is staggering...I personally think his assessment is right.

Frig Donald Trump is President of the U.S. and says worse things than this. Leave him alone, slap his wrist and maybe next season, try something new. Coaches Corner is getting a bit stale.

He works for Rogers and has for several years.  Try to keep up, Boomer.

November 10, 2019 8:27 pm  #16

Sports writer John Matisz, writes that Don Cherry has had his day and now might be the time to cut ties...I thought to share this article, the anti-Cherry sentiment, being that he doesn't reflect the new Canada may seem real, but there is a still a lot of old Canada that does go along with how Don Cherry thinks...and shares on T.V.

Enjoy the read...

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1876528

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 10, 2019 9:23 pm  #17

From a hockey point of view, the game had passed him by. I don't know why he still there. 

November 11, 2019 2:21 am  #18

Ron MacLean has stepped up, and publicly owned his part in the Coach's Corner offensive comments segment. Does this mean in future he will speak up in the moment if Don Cherry expresses a Sour Grapes opinion?

There's also been weekend coverage from Global News, and other media sources with reports on how some people are "overreacting."

It's not what you say, it's how you say it, so the saying goes. It's now Monday, let the on-air parsing begin.

November 11, 2019 10:46 am  #19

Just a hunch. I suspect most of the people going on spin cycle over Don Cherry's most recent comments are politically liberal/left wingers. His supporters, for the most part, conservative right wingers.

November 11, 2019 12:47 pm  #20

And isn't it interesting that sometimes the most intolerant people are those who don't  follow their definition of "tolerant"?

Isn't there some irony that Cherry is being raked over the coals by the same progressives who got their freedoms of speech courtesy of those who fought for it years ago?  Seems these days that freedom of speech is only applicable to "progressives" and those who agree with them.

November 11, 2019 1:00 pm  #21

He doesn't even appear willing to apologise. Rogers should definitely give him the boot. 

November 11, 2019 1:20 pm  #22

Currently on the CBSC website....

The CBSC has received a large number of very similar complaints concerning Coach’s Corner broadcast on CBC (Sportsnet) on November 9, 2019, exceeding the CBSC’s technical processing capacities. Accordingly, while the CBSC will be dealing with this broadcast under its normal process, it is not able to accept any further complaints.

November 11, 2019 1:37 pm  #23

splunge wrote:

Currently on the CBSC website....

The CBSC has received a large number of very similar complaints concerning Coach’s Corner broadcast on CBC (Sportsnet) on November 9, 2019, exceeding the CBSC’s technical processing capacities. Accordingly, while the CBSC will be dealing with this broadcast under its normal process, it is not able to accept any further complaints.

And now the BBC has picked up this story. The CBSC complaint storm, combined with international media coverage could impact further developments....

November 11, 2019 2:29 pm  #24

Sadly, we now live in a time where buffoonery has replaced respectful punditry in some of the media.

November 11, 2019 3:19 pm  #25

I find it absolutely scintillating that the "freedom" fought for is also the "freedom" NOT to wear a poppy. And the "freedom" NOT to be bullied and chastised for not wearing one. "Freedom" works BOTH ways. All those demanding he apologize and/or get punished encapsulates my original point. Shame on you.

November 11, 2019 3:40 pm  #26

geo wrote:

out of curiosity, where would members of this forum rate Don Cherry vis-a-vis Sir John A. Macdonald, Alexander Graham Bell and Wayne Gretzky, as a great Canadian?

Man voted 7th greatest Canadian of all time says 845th racist thing -- The Beaverton.

November 11, 2019 4:08 pm  #27

Looks like he's gonzoes. Good riddance.

November 11, 2019 4:13 pm  #28

He's gone...Stepped down.

November 11, 2019 4:15 pm  #29

November 11, 2019 4:21 pm  #30

TheConsultant wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

He's gone...Stepped down.

FIRED https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/11/11/don-cherry-fired-from-sportsnet-following-toxic-ran

Different Newsrooms...different headlines. 

Mine was based on the 680 News alert I received which only used the phrase "stepped down".  They apparently took it straight from the SN statement;   however I agree that when the wording used is: "it is the right time for him to immediatly step down",  it is indeed a firing.

Last edited by Media Observer (November 11, 2019 5:04 pm)