sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2024 5:40 pm  #1

Will You Be Tuning Into The Brian Mulroney Funeral?

I've noticed that a lot of the non-music stations have been heavily touting their radio coverage of the Brian Mulroney funeral, which takes place in Montreal on Saturday. It won't surprise anyone that the major Canadian TV networks, especially CTV and the CBC and the all news cable stations, will be carrying it live. 

But the radio? There has been some heavy hype about what CFRB and AM640 are both doing and I can only imagine CBC Radio will have wall-to-wall non-stop coverage.(Which come to think of it, may explain why Thursday's "Under The Influence" episode was a reroll, since it likely won't air on Saturday.)

With no intention to be demeaning and with all due respect to the man for his accomplishments, is this something you'll be tuning in specifically to watch or listen to?

My condolences to the family but to be honest, I'm not sure it's high on my list of "must hears" and I'll probably just catch the highlights on the 6 o'clock news. 

March 21, 2024 6:01 pm  #2

Re: Will You Be Tuning Into The Brian Mulroney Funeral?

Why would you ask such a question?  

March 21, 2024 6:09 pm  #3

Why would you ask such a question about such a question paterson1 ? Does that offend you somehow ? 

March 21, 2024 6:17 pm  #4

I usually listen to Radio One around that time on Saturdays, and I probably will have it on this weekend, too.

First PM for me, for better or worse, so it resonates. 

March 21, 2024 6:52 pm  #5

Nowadays a state funeral is a visual event.
Yes, radio broadcasters can narrate what is happening, but don't most people want to see the visual pomp and pageantry?
The uniformed colour guard... the rows of fancy limousines in the procession... the visuals of the notable people at the event and how they are dressed?
Radio wise it is worth it to hear pithy statements made by those who speak at the funeral, but again most people want to see their body language and visual facial expressions.
And this is not even new.
When I was a child I still have memories of watching the funeral of Winston Churchill on a small black and white TV.
That was in 1965.

March 21, 2024 7:05 pm  #6

mic'em wrote:

Why would you ask such a question about such a question paterson1 ? Does that offend you somehow ? 

No doesn't offend me at all.  Seems like an odd question to ask though, if you are going to specifically tune in the funeral on either radio or TV.  Some will and others won't.   

Pierre Trudeau's funeral was on radio back in 2000, and was on a weekday. 

March 21, 2024 8:20 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

My condolences to the family but to be honest, I'm not sure it's high on my list of "must hears" and I'll probably just catch the highlights on the 6 o'clock news. 

I am always curious when I see postings offering condolences to the family.   Will Mila or the children be reading this thread on the SOWNY forum?

March 21, 2024 8:28 pm  #8

We do have a few members from AM640 who visit here. Although it's unlikely, it's possible a mention could be made to host Ben Mulroney. In either event, it's an acknowledgement of the sympathy I would give to anyone who has lost a loved one, even if I didn't know the deceased. 

March 21, 2024 8:35 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Why would you ask such a question?  

This sad event will be taking up a considerable amount of air time this weekend and as newsguy1 points out, a funeral on the radio is both unusual and difficult to cover. 

We talk about what's on the radio on this forum. This will be on the radio this weekend. Hence, a legit topic to discuss here. That's why I asked.  

March 21, 2024 10:50 pm  #10

I don’t think it’s an odd question.
We often discuss whether something is worth watching or listening to.
I might check it out if I remember to.
I would bet CFRB will air CTV News Channel audio.
I think I heard someone say on air that CBC Radio is carrying it.

March 22, 2024 5:51 am  #11

The only funeral I've watched on TV since the 80s is Stomping Tom Connors'.

Last edited by Hansa (March 22, 2024 5:51 am)

March 22, 2024 6:37 am  #12

As expected, the CBC will be offering extensive coverage of this on both radio and TV, which will go on for several hours. Here's the schedule. 

March 22, 2024 8:17 am  #13

I won't be watching or listening.

March 22, 2024 8:30 am  #14

I will be  doing bathroom renovations Saturday afternoon and listening to CJRQ 92.7, Sudbury's Rock station. 

March 22, 2024 2:24 pm  #15

Call me crazy but a funeral on radio is just a bad idea. Better get your engineers to deactivate the silence alarms. IIRC, CFRB aired the Ryan Russell funeral. They would have been better served to just play the eulogies after the fact.

I kinda like Corus' approach to Mulroney with the special they're promoting that will run as part of The Roy Green Show tomorrow. I heard Kelly Cutrara call it a "radio wake", I guess we'll find out if that's apt.

March 22, 2024 5:18 pm  #16

mace wrote:

You have something in common with Brian Mulroney.
Too soon?

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 22, 2024 5:18 pm)

March 22, 2024 6:22 pm  #17

Mike Ben Dixen is good at the Live event kinda coverage. 640 is promoting comments for Bush and Clinton. 

March 22, 2024 6:32 pm  #18

Tomas Barlow wrote:

mace wrote:

You have something in common with Brian Mulroney.
Too soon?

Nope. Simply not interested.

March 22, 2024 6:40 pm  #19

Nothing like a good funeral to listen to and watch. In fact I'll pull out some newspapers for the trifecta.