sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 9, 2024 7:32 pm  #1

What Is Going On At CTV News Toronto?

I ask because it seems to be chronic. 

In the last few days, I've seen graphics come in way too early, reporter live hits never gone to, anchors confused by apparent teleprompter scripts gone missing, sound that's not there and other really poor production issues. CFTO's newscasts aren't perfect of course, but I've never seen so many glitches as I have in the past couple of weeks. 

On Tuesday's 6 PM cast, for example, a reporter was in the middle of a live remote stand-up, when he was abruptly cut off halfway through and the story suddenly began running. There were no audio or signal problems, so what happened? It's impossible to say. 

A few days ago, I saw anchor Michelle Dube become literally befuddled on air trying to find her place, after her co-anchor finished his story. She let out an audible "ummm" with a pause, as if searching for the next item, which clearly wasn't there. That's something you should never, ever hear your main anchor say on air. To her credit, she found her place (maybe a Teleprompter issue?) and went on without a stumble. But it was certainly an awkward moment. 

I've seen identifier graphics come in way too early, naming someone who isn't on the screen yet, but appears later. Or sometimes, never keyed at all, so you have no idea who they are.  

And in a non-technical error, they've come on and told us their "Top Story," only to immediately veer away from it to deal with something entirely different. As I recall, the instance that struck me was about the LCBO strike, which led that day's newscast. They showed 15 secs. of viz, then veered to a shooting that happened elsewhere in the city, followed by several more hot shots.

They didn't get back to their actual "lead" until at least 4 minutes in, by which time it can be argued it was not their top story at all. (Maybe a playback issue? The report wasn't ready in time? Who knows? But it sure looked awful to delay your lead until almost five minutes into your 6 PM news.)

I've seen a lot of this over the past few weeks and it seems to be getting worse. Whatever you think of Channel 9's news efforts, it's always at least looked professional. Lately, it's been a real mess. So often, in fact, that's it's no longer a headline any more.  

July 9, 2024 7:37 pm  #2

Re: What Is Going On At CTV News Toronto?

Pure speculation, but what I've noticed in the time of job cutbacks is that everything continues to work well until certain key people choose to leave or go on vacation. The skeleton staffing only works under the right conditions. Lots of vacations taken in the summer...

July 9, 2024 8:33 pm  #3

Could probably be all summed up in one word: Overdrive. CFTO might now be using the Canadian-made Ross Video "Overdrive" automated production control system, so not much more than a director/TD running the show him/herself, with a computer "rundown" handling cameras, switching, clip playback, graphics, audio etc. that would normally require a whole crew. Possibly some bugs/mistakes in the rundown templates and/or an inexperienced operator.

Last edited by Forward Power (July 9, 2024 8:33 pm)

July 9, 2024 11:47 pm  #4

I've also noticed that whoever is anchoring on the left side of the screen (e.g. Michelle Dube or Natalie Johnson) now is always holding a clicker in their hand. My guess is that it controls the teleprompter? I know CityTV they use a foot pedal to move the teleprompter (which hides it better) but perhaps things at CTV are so screwed up that they are using a visible hand-controlled device to move it now.

July 10, 2024 8:59 am  #5

TomTV wrote:

I've also noticed that whoever is anchoring on the left side of the screen (e.g. Michelle Dube or Natalie Johnson) now is always holding a clicker in their hand. My guess is that it controls the teleprompter? I know CityTV they use a foot pedal to move the teleprompter (which hides it better) but perhaps things at CTV are so screwed up that they are using a visible hand-controlled device to move it now.

Not new for the prompter controller to be visible. We see it more these days, but I remember when CKVR became "The New VR", the news anchors would often have the prompter "clicker" in one hand and their script clipboard in the other.

July 10, 2024 9:08 am  #6

A friend of mine who is married to a former TV anchor in Saskatchewan once told me the story of his wife's first night anchoring the late newscast on a holiday weekend. She couldn't figure out how to use the footpedal to control the teleprompter and with no floor director to help her out, she soon became hopelessly lost as she tried to work from her barebones script. By the end of the newscast, she was visibly sweating and on the verge of tears. After the cast mercifully came to an end, she bolted from the studio, jumped into her car and drove away at high speed, simply wanting to get home. She was pulled over by a cop for speeding and after listening to her explanation through a mass of angry tears, he let her off with a warning, saying "you look like you've suffered enough for one day."

July 15, 2024 6:31 pm  #7

Another bizarre series of mistakes and problems plagued the 6 PM newscast on Monday.

A few examples:

-There appeared to be some confusion over the copy in the early going in the show for the anchors. 

-Sean Lethong's live throw to his report on more road blocks due to downtown construction was suddenly cut off in mid-sentence, and his story ran.

-A graphic that read "Construction Gridlock" ran under the intro to Vassey Kapelos' live report from the Republican Convention in Milwaukee.

-Scott Lightfoot's on air throw to his story was missing the first few words due to an audio issue.

And 

-On the weekend, the monitor viz for a story on a murder was the Ontario Science Centre.

Whatever you think of CTV News' format and presentation, they were always pretty much technically flawless. The last few weeks, that's been anything but the case. I would love to know what changed.

July 15, 2024 10:08 pm  #8

For their July 11th noon show they stuck the video of Jon Woodward in the bkg as he spoke, then briefly cut to Jessica at the weather desk (though she caught on quickly and thankfully wasn't picking her nose or doing anything embarassing), then cut back to Jon and Nathan. Yeah, it's a mess over there. They've made Global News' large array of technical gaffes look small by comparison.

July 15, 2024 10:12 pm  #9

When you've cut to the bone and the summer vacation b-team isn't properly trained.

July 15, 2024 10:21 pm  #10

...and from a technical POV, one error in Overdrive has a cascading effect on everything that follows.

July 16, 2024 6:52 am  #11

Sunday 6 pm edition was very similar. 

July 17, 2024 10:14 pm  #12

TomTV wrote:

For their July 11th noon show they stuck the video of Jon Woodward in the bkg as he spoke, then briefly cut to Jessica at the weather desk (though she caught on quickly and thankfully wasn't picking her nose or doing anything embarassing), then cut back to Jon and Nathan. Yeah, it's a mess over there. They've made Global News' large array of technical gaffes look small by comparison.

Even CTV Kitchener had moments like this in their newscasts.

July 24, 2024 12:51 pm  #13

Small Ron Burgundy moment for CTV news anchor Natalie Johnson on the 12pm newscast yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qti1mZgiKBc

At 26min54, Natalie introduces a news story by Pat Forin about shoplifting...

Then after the Pat Forin story ends, we cut back to Natalie and Nathan, and Natalie reads the exact same text from the teleprompter, then realizes that she's reading the same intro that she just read a few minutes ago and corrects herself (see 29min15) as she clicks away at the clicker in her hand.

But it doesn't seem as though the teleprompter is working, since Nathan then starts reading from the hardcopy script on his desk instead of from the teleprompter. Meanwhile you can hear and see Natalie is still fitzing around with the clicker in her hand to try and get it to work properly. (this is why I think teleprompter controls should be kept out of the viewer's sight, it only makes any technical errors way more obvious).

I suppose the good thing here is that no one wrote "Go f--k yourself, Toronto" on the teleprompter.

July 25, 2024 7:44 pm  #14

They continue to have endless troubles, and it seems like every day, it's something else that goes off the rails. Earlier this week, there were almost no music cues, like they use when they promote an upcoming story or go to the weather. Everything was silent. 

Then on Thursday, the big problem was in the keys, the graphics that identify who is speaking on screen. On the noon, they I.D.'d Siobhan Morris as Rahim Ladhani for at least 5-10 secs. as an example.

The key trouble continued on the 6, with this rather embarrassing faux pas. (Unless the suspect in that pic had a very long neck that I couldn't see!)

In another part of the newscast, they were promoting an upcoming story on a disease and children. This is what viewers saw:

I'm not putting these up to poke fun at them. But whatever is going on is getting to be chronic and ridiculous. Not to mention repetitive. 

If they're breaking in a new system, it's obviously not working very well. It's embarrassing for what is supposed to be the #1 newscast in the #1 market in Canada. They need to fix this if they want to be taken seriously. 

July 25, 2024 8:06 pm  #15

As mentioned above by another poster, it is quite possible that this is just a run or errors caused by the "Summer B Team"...  it happens everywhere, and is a combination of compounded errors from writers/producers, to the technical team in the control room...

It can also be the result of a software application update that did not install correctly. Or there is a driver conflict between existing hardware and a software update...

Last edited by Glen Warren (July 25, 2024 8:36 pm)

July 25, 2024 10:25 pm  #16

Toronto is a small market now.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 25, 2024 11:28 pm  #17

Other stations in much smaller markets using automation have been able to make their newscasts look pretty good. What is CTV Toronto’s excuse?

August 6, 2024 5:33 pm  #18

I'm not harping on this to make fun of CTV News, but the technical output of their product is beyond understanding. 

It started right off the top of their noon news on Tuesday, when they threw to Natalie Johnson for a lead story about yet more construction woes for Toronto commuters. For some reason, they keyed her incorrectly as "Beth MacDonell," another of their reporters. 

She dutifully gave her intro and then stood there. And stood there. And stood there. It was more than 20 secs. which is a very long time to be hung out to dry on live television, as her pre-recorded story failed to run. Finally, you could actually see her getting a message from the control room through her IFB, telling her to ad lib something. She nodded repeatedly at the voice viewers couldn't hear, bravely tried, but most of the story was lost as she attempted to explain it all from memory with no script. 

But I loved the dog wandering by in the background staring at her. She then mercifully threw back to the newsroom. 

About 23 minutes into the show they returned to Johnson, whose story finally aired. But having your lead come on 23 minutes in is not great. 

A few minutes later, they threw to another live hit, this time from John Musselman, who told viewers we were about to see some video they shot at U. of T., where there had been an attack on a student. We never got to see it, but briefly glimpsed a description of the suspect - which Musselman never referred to as they came back to him on camera. He finished his live hit quickly and it was back to the anchors. 

And it wasn't just Tuesday. The weekend show was equally awful. I felt sorry for anchor Rahim Ladhani, whose autocue apparently kept going down, forcing him to try and find his place in the paper copy all newsrooms keep for back-up just in case. It was bad enough when they were into viz as he stammered around. But when it happened on camera, and you could see him shuffling papers and looking for the story in a panic, apologizing to the audience, it was cringeworthy. 

This just keeps happening. If they're trying to break in a new system, it isn't working. And if it's inexperienced crew (which I doubt since it's been more than a month) then someone needs to be talked to. But they can't let this disaster keep on going. 

It's been almost a month since these endless technical snafus began showing up. It has to stop. Not soon. Now. 

August 6, 2024 6:04 pm  #19

They should really consider temporarily pre-recording as much as possible until they work out what's plaguing them.

August 6, 2024 6:46 pm  #20

ED1 wrote:

Other stations in much smaller markets using automation have been able to make their newscasts look pretty good. What is CTV Toronto’s excuse?

It almost certainly comes down to management failure. 

Maybe they're disengaged because they simply oversee too much. Or maybe they're engaged but in the wrong way - coming down hard on individuals when the issue is clearly structural.

August 6, 2024 7:11 pm  #21

RadioAaron wrote:

They should really consider temporarily pre-recording as much as possible until they work out what's plaguing them.

Sounds like a good idea on the surface, but one of their big problems has been their pre-recorded material not playing when it's supposed to. Imagine what that might cause if they couldn't get most of a "taped" newscast to play at all. 

August 6, 2024 7:19 pm  #22

RadioActive wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Sounds like a good idea on the surface, but one of their big problems has been their pre-recorded material not playing when it's supposed to. Imagine what that might cause if they couldn't get most of a "taped" newscast to play at all. 

Agree. But at least for the noon or the weekend casts, they should record the whole thing. For the 6, stop trying to do a live on-location reporter throwing to tape...for now. It's not ideal, but the end result can't be as bad at what's going out now.

Simplyfy, majorly and temporarily.

Last edited by RadioAaron (August 6, 2024 7:20 pm)

August 6, 2024 10:14 pm  #23

I noticed this too.  Don't have video evidence but I was watching their news actually on Youtube and the newsreader was talking about a story while images that fitted the next news story was already appearing on the screen.

August 7, 2024 1:03 am  #24

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not harping on this to make fun of CTV News, but the technical output of their product is beyond understanding.  

Here's the train wreck: 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 7, 2024 8:04 am  #25

I am finding myself tuning into Global on weekends, more of a smooth delivery of the news, and they show the Greater Sudbury Area on the weather map. Both CTV Barrie, and Northern Ontario based out of Sudbury,  give good local coverage, I flick between them on weekdays. 

August 7, 2024 1:08 pm  #26

Another aspect of this is one I hadn't thought of - CTV H.Q. in Agincourt is where CFRB's newscasts remotely originate from. And while the Wednesday noon on TV was mostly flawless, there was a huge problem with 1010's 1 PM news update. The usual intro stinger came on followed by .. nothing.

The stinger just kept going until it finally ran out, with no announcer being heard. Instead, they went to traffic. But that was interrupted by the actual newscaster, who began speaking over her. I'm guessing it might have been pre-recorded, because sure enough, the woman gave a few headlines - and then threw to the traffic report we just heard! 

But the traffic person was long gone and they weren't about to replay what had just gone out over the air, so listeners then heard the weather stinger. Except that was allowed to play out with no one speaking, until they gave up and went to an adjacency. So not only did we not get any news or a full traffic update, there was no forecast given, either. 

I'm not sure if this was something at the station or over at Agincourt, but what an embarrassing mess! They really need to get their act together over there. Now it's spreading to the radio!

August 7, 2024 1:40 pm  #27

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Here's the train wreck: 

Pretty wild that they still posted it.

August 7, 2024 2:02 pm  #28

RadioActive wrote:

Another aspect of this is one I hadn't thought of - CTV H.Q. in Agincourt is where CFRB's newscasts remotely originate from. And while the Wednesday noon on TV was mostly flawless, there was a huge problem with 1010's 1 PM news update. The usual intro stinger came on followed by .. nothing.

The stinger just kept going until it finally ran out, with no announcer being heard. Instead, they went to traffic. But that was interrupted by the actual newscaster, who began speaking over her. I'm guessing it might have been pre-recorded, because sure enough, the woman gave a few headlines - and then threw to the traffic report we just heard! 

But the traffic person was long gone and they weren't about to replay what had just gone out over the air, so listeners then heard the weather stinger. Except that was allowed to play out with no one speaking, until they gave up and went to an adjacency. So not only did we not get any news or a full traffic update, there was no forecast given, either. 

I'm not sure if this was something at the station or over at Agincourt, but what an embarrassing mess! They really need to get their act together over there. Now it's spreading to the radio!

I heard that.  It was painful.  The CTV News intro music went on for what seemed like an eternity, then a quick traffic update, then nothing.  So amateur.  How the once mighty has fallen.  The only reason I happened to catch it was because it came in the middle of the Vassy show, which is the only thing I still listen to on NewsJoke 1010.

August 8, 2024 3:08 pm  #29

RadioAaron wrote:

Pretty wild that they still posted it.

As if i needed further proof that traditional media just doesn't understand how new media platforms are consumed.

August 13, 2024 1:03 am  #30

Watched CTV London's news at 11 and 2 of the stories they played was out of sync. One story about a historic barn being torn down and another report about London's decline of air travel from the airport. I thought it was it was the channel that was off sync but no. I wonder if CTV London has the same OverDrive system that CTV Toronto has.