sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2024 12:44 pm  #1

CHAM & CKOC Signals Replaced By "White Noise"

We knew it was coming. And now it appears it's finally R.I.P for Funny 820 and Bloomberg 1150. I tuned into the former just after noon on Wednesday, only to be greeted by what sounded like white noise. A problem with their transmitter? Likely not, because the exact same sound was being "broadcast" on what up until today had been Bloomberg 1150.

While the websites remain up, I'm not able to get either to play and alternates like Tune-In say the stations are no longer available or streaming. 

It looks like the end has finally come for Bell ownership and this is the first move for new owner, Neeti P. Ray, to officially take over the stations, after the CRTC approval at the end of June.

What comes next? Stay tuned. It should happen soon. (Although, the White Noise format could be a big hit with insomniacs overnight!)  

But I'm really going to miss the comedy on CHAM. It was unique to the market and it was perfect for when there was nothing else on. 

July 3, 2024 1:16 pm  #2

Re: CHAM & CKOC Signals Replaced By "White Noise"

Maybe white noise in the latest trend in radio formats.

"Radio eleven fifty. All white noise all the time."

After all is said and done, more is usually said than done.

July 3, 2024 1:20 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I'm really going to miss the comedy on CHAM. It was unique to the market and it was perfect for when there was nothing else on. 

Must admit 820 was among my most listened to stations when driving. Not that it was compelling, and I'd rather see something unique there, but I did tune in for the same reason.

July 3, 2024 1:29 pm  #4

Obviously it's a very different situation at CKWW with it being an oldies station, but I just checked it out on the iHeart app and nothing has changed there so far. 

July 3, 2024 1:49 pm  #5

The 580 CKWW radio signal is still on at this time with Oldies.

July 3, 2024 1:53 pm  #6

Marc1178 wrote:

Anyone who’s ever worked there would agree that it’s quite fitting that Bell has forgotten to turn that station off.

July 3, 2024 2:07 pm  #7

Marc1178 wrote:

Yes, and their online stream remains as of this posting.

I wonder if Neeti Ray is going to take care of the Hamilton stations first and then get around to CKWW. Launching three new outlets at once is a lot to take on. Two is much easier, especially a pair so close to Toronto. And if he's not planning to make a lot of changes to AM 580's format, as he himself has speculated, then there's no real hurry to turn it off.

July 3, 2024 3:53 pm  #8

moved like cklh, they'll be back, the old studio is scheduled for demolition.

July 3, 2024 4:07 pm  #9

I gather nobody has noticed (or cares) that CHIN-1540 seems to have just decided not to broadcast anything at all after about 9 p.m. and  overnights (where the old-time radio shows used to be).   Although the website does say "Italian Streaming".  I don't think "Italian Streaming" means a relay of KXEL's Red Eye Radio or Brother Stair's Overcomer Ministry.

July 3, 2024 4:34 pm  #10

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out after dark. 

Are they completely off the air or just at such low power that you can't hear them? I used to work there in another lifetime (my very first "volunteer" job in radio) and before the daytime pattern change, they were at 500 watts. You could barely get them across the street.

I remember this weird phone set-up, where at the appropriate time on the log, you had to dial "9" on this rotary phone contraption and it would turn the power up to 50,000 watts. I've never seen that anywhere else, but it was a long time ago.

I also used to get KXEL under CHIN. But back in the 70s, the better station was Top 40 WPTR from Albany. Great station playing great music on 1540. But because of having to protect against both Toronto and Iowa, it was highly directional and tough to get here. 

July 3, 2024 5:02 pm  #11

Both 820 and 1150 are open carrier now

July 3, 2024 5:07 pm  #12

I just noticed this also. 

So how long do we think it will be before actual programming begins on those frequencies? Any guesses as to what they'll be?

July 3, 2024 5:34 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out after dark. 

Are they completely off the air or just at such low power that you can't hear them? I used to work there in another lifetime (my very first "volunteer" job in radio) and before the daytime pattern change, they were at 500 watts. You could barely get them across the street.

Definitely off.   In North York, unti last week I had no problem hearing them in the nightmiddle, but it was easy to hear KXEL underneath.  Now KXEL just sounds as strong as the adjacent Cincinnati on 1530 and Windsor on 1550.  

July 3, 2024 5:48 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

I just noticed this also. 

So how long do we think it will be before actual programming begins on those frequencies? Any guesses as to what they'll be?

I’ve wondered recently if he’d try to use one to extend FLOW 98.7’s reach.

It’s a terrible idea, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

July 3, 2024 8:13 pm  #15

820 is back to the comedy.  Just heard them in the car.  1150 is static, couldn't hear anything at all on the frequency. 

July 3, 2024 8:52 pm  #16

I was out walking the dog and one of my radio presets is 820. I heard them too, while changing channels and was surprised they were back. I find it hard to believe this was a technical issue, but who knows? It certainly went on a long time (at least 8 hours in the case of 820 and far more for 1150, which is still off.)

It's possible they've just restored the computer that plays the stuff to keep something there, while 1150 has to come from a more live Bloomberg as the source. 

Neither of them is streaming. 

Either way, I think it's safe to say the end is near. The only question now is when it comes.  

Curiouser and curiouser, cried Alice. Enjoy it while it lasts.

July 3, 2024 9:20 pm  #17

citats wrote:

At 883 Upper Wentworth?  For real?  That was brand new in 1990.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 3, 2024 9:35 pm  #18

1150 is now back on, as well. Could this all have been just a weird technical snafu? But why both stations? Seems like too much of a coincidence.

It's definitely the longest outage I think I've ever heard in the GTHA market. What a weird day. 

July 3, 2024 10:02 pm  #19

I live within eyes range of the Upper Wentworth location.

Equipment is being removed from the rooftop when I looked this afternoon.

July 4, 2024 8:06 am  #20

Jody Thornton wrote:

citats wrote:

At 883 Upper Wentworth?  For real?  That was brand new in 1990.

as far as I understand the lease was up and that old building is being demo'd.by a developer, the two AM's have been relocated physically to the CHAM tower site.

Last edited by citats (July 4, 2024 8:08 am)

July 4, 2024 8:25 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

1150 is now back on, as well. Could this all have been just a weird technical snafu? But why both stations? Seems like too much of a coincidence.

It's definitely the longest outage I think I've ever heard in the GTHA market. What a weird day. 

Given that it was "white noise" I'm guessing they turned the STL off and then physically moved the automation system to the transmitter site(s)

July 4, 2024 8:45 am  #22

820 is off again as I post this, but 1150 is still on, apparently at full strength.

July 4, 2024 8:50 am  #23

RadioActive wrote:

820 is off again as I post this, but 1150 is still on, apparently at full strength.

Thanks! I thought something was wrong with my radio. I was trying to understand why everyone is saying 820 is back when I can't seem to pick it up. Not even as a faded station.
(I am in Toronto, not Hamilton, so sometimes I have to move my radio around to get a stronger AM signal for 820) 

1150 is indeed coming in clear as a Bell...station. (see what I did there? lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 4, 2024 11:28 am  #24

820 has returned. 

I wonder if anyone other than the folks in this forum have even noticed this off-again on-again pattern?

July 4, 2024 11:38 am  #25

RadioActive wrote:

820 has returned. 

I wonder if anyone other than the folks in this forum have even noticed this off-again on-again pattern?

I noticed it being off this morning around 5 a.m. I also noticed the night before there was a loud hum in the signal that made it difficult to understand the audio.