sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2024 9:22 pm  #1

Could This Global News Promo Statement Be True?

I've been hearing this promo repeatedly on AM640 for Global News' YouTube website, trying to entice more people to go there for their news fix. 

But one statement in the ad stands out to me. It's the claim that the channel is "the #1 source for Canadian news" in the country. 

I've checked the site and there are, indeed, a lot of videos there. But #1 in all of Canada? Ahead of the CBC, which has far more resources? More than CTV? I'm not going to say their claim is false, because I don't have access to the numbers they cite. (Actually, they don't cite any, which is part of the problem.)

But I do have trouble believing that Global's YouTube channel is the biggest source for news in the entire country. I would love to see some evidence to back up this fairly bold statement. 

March 21, 2024 9:42 pm  #2

Re: Could This Global News Promo Statement Be True?

RadioActive wrote:

I've been hearing this promo repeatedly on AM640 for Global News' YouTube website, trying to entice more people to go there for their news fix. 

But one statement in the ad stands out to me. It's the claim that the channel is "the #1 source for Canadian news" in the country. 

I've checked the site and there are, indeed, a lot of videos there. But #1 in all of Canada? Ahead of the CBC, which has far more resources? More than CTV? I'm not going to say their claim is false, because I don't have access to the numbers they cite. (Actually, they don't cite any, which is part of the problem.)

But I do have trouble believing that Global's YouTube channel is the biggest source for news in the entire country. I would love to see some evidence to back up this fairly bold statement. 

In terms of the YouTube channel, Global News' account has 4.17 million subscribers as of this post. In comparison, CBC News has 3.48 million subscribers, and CTV News has 1.31 million subscribers. All of these subscriber numbers are publicly displayed on each account.

Last edited by ED1 (March 21, 2024 9:43 pm)

March 21, 2024 10:44 pm  #3

I wonder why CTV is so low. On TV they’re number one by a wide margin.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 21, 2024 10:44 pm)

March 22, 2024 9:11 am  #4

I remember when CFTO would take out large full page ads in the Star and Telegram stating how their World Beat News was the most viewed local supper hour newscast. They would also include the numbers for CBLT, CHCH, WBEN, WGR and WKBW to backup their claim. Only six channels were available back then.

March 22, 2024 9:14 am  #5

March 22, 2024 10:37 am  #6

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I wonder why CTV is so low. On TV they’re number one by a wide margin.

Global has been way more aggressive in creating and pushing digital alternatives.

March 22, 2024 11:48 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

childhood memories right there! 

March 22, 2024 12:46 pm  #8

mace wrote:

I remember when CFTO would take out large full page ads in the Star and Telegram stating how their World Beat News was the most viewed local supper hour newscast. They would also include the numbers for CBLT, CHCH, WBEN, WGR and WKBW to backup their claim. Only six channels were available back then.

Those ads used to annoy me because they compared (as I recall) World Beat's ratings at 6:30 when the show started (in the 80s) with CBC City and Global's ratings at *6:30* which was halfway through their newscasts.

Last edited by Hansa (March 22, 2024 12:48 pm)