sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2024 7:25 am  #1

Move Over PBS. A Fund Raising Beg-a-thon Coming To TVO

We're all used to the endless Pledge Weeks that have been a staple of both PBS and WNED in Buffalo for decades. But on TVOntario?

The "TVO Telethon" is taking place on March 23rd and 24th, featuring a plethora of famous names, including Colin Mochrie, Chris Hadfield and Jann Arden. They're also giving away several prizes to help encourage donations.

Despite being funded by the Ontario government, the long running provincial educational TV outlet is short of funds, so it's taking to the airwaves for its own money pleas. The telethon runs from 6:30 PM- midnight, and will be seen on both Saturday and Sunday. 

I'm honestly not sure - have they ever had to do this before?

TVO Telethon

March 21, 2024 7:32 am  #2

Re: Move Over PBS. A Fund Raising Beg-a-thon Coming To TVO

March 21, 2024 7:36 am  #3

I suppose that tells you how often I watch TVO! Thanks for the update.

March 21, 2024 7:56 am  #4

To be fair they've always been of shorter duration and less frequent than PBS' appeals.

March 21, 2024 8:07 am  #5

They even have people in the street holding up clipboards begging people who walk by to become supporters of TVO...trying hard to get money out of people is nothing new.
There is also this, which has been around forever:  https://support.tvo.org/site/Donation2?df_id=14041&mfc_pref=T&14041.donation=form1&utm_source=tvo-org&utm_medium=donate-button&utm_campaign=tvo-org-db-ot&utm_content=24D1OL01

Last edited by Radiowiz (March 21, 2024 8:07 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 21, 2024 8:56 am  #6

It is rather miraculous that TVO has survived both Harris and Ford relatively unscathed. I guess Bill Davis' role in founding it helps and also without TVO provincial politicians (especially cabinet ministers) would get a lot less exposure

March 21, 2024 9:05 am  #7

Hansa wrote:

It is rather miraculous that TVO has survived both Harris and Ford relatively unscathed. I guess Bill Davis' role in founding it helps and also without TVO provincial politicians (especially cabinet ministers) would get a lot less exposure

Also helps that their flagship newsman has good relations with some of the unsavoury types currently in charge.

March 21, 2024 10:53 am  #9

TVO doesn't raise the amount of money as WNED and they usually frame it that the money will enhance programming and make TVO better.  PBS during their never ending and long fundraising drives reminds viewers that it is to survive and to continue.  Mind you looking at WNED's facilities it doesn't look like they can cry poor...
=12px  

Last edited by paterson1 (March 21, 2024 10:53 am)

March 21, 2024 11:03 am  #10

I was always impressed by WNED's original pledge team of Mike Collins and Goldie Gardner. They had so many different ways to say Please Send Money. Decades ago, during an e-skip event, I caught one of WEDU Tampa Bay's pledge segments. Their tagline was Television Worth Paying For.

March 21, 2024 1:48 pm  #11

If they wanted to save some $$ they could turn off OTA transmitters in places like Cloyne and Chatham-Kent.
I am sure not many are watching these transmitters. Why should Cloyne get a repeater but much larger centre's do not [Yes I know why]