sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2024 9:45 pm  #1

St Patrick's bore

Am I just an old curmudgeon now, but is it annoying that every radio and TV outlet continues to portray St. Patrick's Day as a day of fun and parades when everyone is supposed to revel and drink and have fun and be happy and hold huge parades.
It seems especially absurd in Toronto which has a largely diverse population.
To me the main duty a radio station has these days is to report about St Patrick's Day in terms on what annoying street closures there will be because of intrusive parades.

March 18, 2024 8:15 am  #2

Re: St Patrick's bore

newsguy1 wrote:

Am I just an old curmudgeon now, but is it annoying that every radio and TV outlet continues to portray St. Patrick's Day as a day of fun and parades when everyone is supposed to revel and drink and have fun and be happy and hold huge parades.
It seems especially absurd in Toronto which has a largely diverse population.
To me the main duty a radio station has these days is to report about St Patrick's Day in terms on what annoying street closures there will be because of intrusive parades.

Does your sentiment also apply to the Santa Claus, Caribana & Pride parades?  What about the various charity runs or marathons?

March 18, 2024 8:24 am  #3

Are there still any Irish left in Toronto?  Surely, they've all been replaced by now.

March 18, 2024 9:00 am  #4

I don't get the connection between a diverse population and people enjoying a parade or a party.  On CP24 they were interviewing people (some a little drunk) at a Toronto Irish pub yesterday.  Most they interviewed were people of various ethnic backgrounds, and all seemed to be enjoying the day and some dressed up in green.  

March 18, 2024 9:11 am  #5

With their history of violence and killing, the Irish are the last nation of people on earth to be worthy of any tribute. It would be like Canada asking the world to join us in celebrating the heritage of our residential schools.

My observance of St Patricks Day is limited to dressing extra carefully in the morning to be certain not to wear anything green.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

March 18, 2024 9:18 am  #6

turkeytop wrote:

My observance of St Patricks Day is limited to dressing extra carefully in the morning to be certain not to wear anything green.

...and that's where your luck runs out. It is extremely good luck to wear green on St. Patty's day. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 18, 2024 10:03 am  #7

newsguy1 wrote:

Am I just an old curmudgeon now, but is it annoying that every radio and TV outlet continues to portray St. Patrick's Day as a day of fun and parades when everyone is supposed to revel and drink and have fun and be happy and hold huge parades...To me the main duty a radio station has these days is to report about St Patrick's Day in terms on what annoying street closures there will be because of intrusive parades.

Get off my lawn!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPRT7qQ2jIk

March 18, 2024 10:29 am  #8

I once went to a bar in Collingwood, not even realizing it was St Patricks day or the significance of the day. I asked for a beer and, when she set it down in front of me it was green. I got up  and walked out without even touching it.

I should have suspected something when the place was full of drunks in the afternoon. They celebrate the life of their Patron Saint by going out and getting pissed up.

March 18, 2024 2:34 pm  #9

turkeytop wrote:

I once went to a bar in Collingwood, not even realizing it was St Patricks day or the significance of the day. I asked for a beer and, when she set it down in front of me it was green. I got up  and walked out without even touching it.

I should have suspected something when the place was full of drunks in the afternoon. They celebrate the life of their Patron Saint by going out and getting pissed up.

Yes I avoid bars on St. Patrick's Day so I don't have to deal with people who have overconsumed copious quantities of adult beverages. Also not thrilled to have to listen to the constant playing of Irish music. However, in my younger days, when drinking to excess seemed like a good idea, I was always offered a choice of regular or green beer.

March 18, 2024 3:14 pm  #10

Always gotta give props to this site...where else can you go to find a bunch of old white guys that are totally pissed off cause some people are out having a good time over a few pints on St. Patrick's Day?...this yelling at the clouds crowd must be a blast to hang with at a bachelor party....go back to your worked-in, lazy boy chairs and let the rest of us have a good time.

March 18, 2024 7:46 pm  #11

There is a huge difference between going out for some pints with friends and being surrounded by a bunch of over served lager louts.

March 18, 2024 7:58 pm  #12

The last time I was in Collingwood, I noticed the bar is no longer in business. A business that makes money on only one day of the year is not sutainable.

March 18, 2024 10:19 pm  #13

Johnny B wrote:

Always gotta give props to this site...where else can you go to find a bunch of old white guys that are totally pissed off cause some people are out having a good time over a few pints on St. Patrick's Day?...this yelling at the clouds crowd must be a blast to hang with at a bachelor party....go back to your worked-in, lazy boy chairs and let the rest of us have a good time.

This is the board that believes that talk show hosts don’t deserve to spend Christmas with their families so of course no one should have fun on St. Patrick’s Day either. It’s quite the place.

March 19, 2024 12:21 am  #14

Tomas Barlow wrote:

This is the board that believes that talk show hosts don’t deserve to spend Christmas with their families so of course no one should have fun on St. Patrick’s Day either. It’s quite the place.

If people want to get pissed up and act like fools let them go ahead. It's nothing to me. Just don't expect me to participate. There might be 364 days in the year when I could do that. But not in a silly costume on March 17.

Last edited by turkeytop (March 19, 2024 12:27 am)

March 19, 2024 8:10 am  #15

If the Collingwood bar being referred to was the Mountainview, it was demolished in the 90's and a modern building built in it's place. Side note, the restaurant in the old Mountainview Hotel was operated for many years by the late John Candy's mother. 

March 19, 2024 10:51 am  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

turkeytop wrote:

...and that's where your luck runs out. It is extremely good luck to wear green on St. Patty's day. 

The luck also runs out automatically if you call it St. Patty's Day instead of St. Paddy's Day.

Last edited by DX (March 19, 2024 10:51 am)