sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 14, 2024 12:57 pm  #1

Corus Launches New Radio Show Across Ontario, But Not On Talk Stations

The new program will be on Corus' Hot AC and Top 40 stations across Ontario from 7-10 PM, including CING in Burlington. 

It's called "@Night With Mr. D." and will be hosted by Damian Rickards. 

From Broadcast Dialogue:

"The show will air on JUMP 106.9 (CKQB-FM) Ottawa, 104.5 Fresh Radio (CFLG-FM) Cornwall, 104.3 Fresh Radio (CKWS-FM) Kingston, 100.5 Fresh Radio (CKRU-FM) Peterborough, 93.1 Fresh Radio (CHAY-FM) Barrie, Energy 95.3 (CING-FM) Hamilton, Magic 106.1 (CIMJ-FM) Guelph, 91.5 The Beat (CKBT-FM) Kitchener, and 103.1 Fresh Radio (CFHK-FM) London."

Corus launches new weeknight show on Ontario Hot AC stations

March 15, 2024 1:17 am  #2

Re: Corus Launches New Radio Show Across Ontario, But Not On Talk Stations

I won’t be listening. Projecting and screaming are two very different things.  He missed that day in week one of radio school and no one has ever bothered to fill him in.  He seems like a nice guy but he is the radio equivalent of Caps Lock.

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (March 15, 2024 1:20 am)

March 15, 2024 9:04 am  #3

I rarely listen to radio at night. After 7pm it is TV time for me, either scripted shows or baseball/hockey/football.

March 15, 2024 9:57 am  #4

mace wrote:

I rarely listen to radio at night.

Judging by some of the numbers I've seen, you're far from alone.

March 15, 2024 10:19 am  #5

My sister, who lives in New York City, is coming to Toronto for a rare visit in May. She has trouble sleeping and generally passes the time listening to overnight talk radio, often Coast To Coast AM. Of course, there's a lot to choose from in the world's biggest radio market.

But I'm not entirely sure what she'll be tuning in on a restless night in Toronto, since everything is reroll after reroll. It really wasn't until she mentioned it that I realized how terrible the offerings on the air overnight here really are. Unless she's willing to DX (I doubt she even knows what that is) in the wee hours, I have no idea what she might tune in. 

Any suggestions? Because I honestly can't think of anything. 

March 15, 2024 10:23 am  #6

CBC Radio One has all kinds of stimulating international and Canadian-produced radio programs during the overnight hours. The schedule can be found here - https://www.cbc.ca/radio/pdfs/Radio-One-Overnight.pdf

March 15, 2024 11:11 am  #7

Wouldn't any rerolls be new to your sister?  Had a radio friend that was in NY a few years ago.  He said NY radio is somewhat over rated.  He was talking daytime and not overnight however. 

March 15, 2024 11:25 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

My sister, who lives in New York City, is coming to Toronto for a rare visit in May. She has trouble sleeping and generally passes the time listening to overnight talk radio, often Coast To Coast AM. Of course, there's a lot to choose from in the world's biggest radio market. But I'm not entirely sure what she'll be tuning in on a restless night in Toronto, since everything is reroll after reroll. It really wasn't until she mentioned it that I realized how terrible the offerings on the air overnight here really are. Unless she's willing to DX (I doubt she even knows what that is) in the wee hours, I have no idea what she might tune in.  Any suggestions? Because I honestly can't think of anything. 

Anything decent left on shortwave? Not even sure CBC runs that anymore overnight.... the only overnight listening I do is either DX or the letters zzzzz.

March 15, 2024 12:05 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Wouldn't any rerolls be new to your sister?  Had a radio friend that was in NY a few years ago.  He said NY radio is somewhat over rated.  He was talking daytime and not overnight however. 

NYC radio is definitely not what it used to be. The same economics that are causing the industry to wither are present there, too.

As for the rerolls, yes, they would be new to her. But I'm not sure she'd be interested in the latest controversy at City Hall or what Doug Ford said.

She has no frame of reference for that. That's why Coast was her go-to. There was nothing local there and she can tune in and out without needing any local knowledge. Plus, of course, she doesn't know the stations here. 

I'll be curious to find out what she settles on. 

March 15, 2024 10:37 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

My sister, who lives in New York City, is coming to Toronto for a rare visit in May. She has trouble sleeping and generally passes the time listening to overnight talk radio, often Coast To Coast AM. Of course, there's a lot to choose from in the world's biggest radio market.

But I'm not entirely sure what she'll be tuning in on a restless night in Toronto, since everything is reroll after reroll. It really wasn't until she mentioned it that I realized how terrible the offerings on the air overnight here really are. Unless she's willing to DX (I doubt she even knows what that is) in the wee hours, I have no idea what she might tune in. 

Any suggestions? Because I honestly can't think of anything. 

Just an FYI about the Bell Media/IHeartRadio station in Montreal:

CJAD 800 https://www.cjad800.com/ was copying the Newstalk1010, CFRA580 et al overnight blueprint for several years with the Jim Richards → David Cooper → Re-rolls format until about September 2023.

Now it's back to Coast to Coast overnight 7 days a week from 1:AM to 5:AM.

If your visiting sister wants to listen on her phone on the Tune-In or IHeartRadio App, she can still get her C2C along with hundreds of US stations (Likely her own station in NYC as well) carrying this oddball George Noory's 4 hours.

March 16, 2024 10:34 am  #11

At one time WBZ and WGN were excellent overnight options. BZ had Larry Glick then Bob Raleigh with Norm Nathan on weekends. Today WBZ has the rather bland sounding WBZ News Overnight. WGN airs the probably syndicated Rich Valdes America At Night from 2am-5am.

March 16, 2024 6:02 pm  #12

Does Joey Castillo has a weekend show slot on Fresh 103.1 in London? I heard him this morning on 103.1 while doing some arrends. I also thinks He does the afternnon drive show on 91.5 The Beat in Kitchener. I cannot stand him. He is not funny and cool. I switch to a different station the moment I hear him.

March 16, 2024 6:20 pm  #13

mace wrote:

At one time WBZ and WGN were excellent overnight options. BZ had Larry Glick then Bob Raleigh with Norm Nathan on weekends. Today WBZ has the rather bland sounding WBZ News Overnight. WGN airs the probably syndicated Rich Valdes America At Night from 2am-5am.

Rich Valdes America At Night is the new incarnation of the Jim Bohannon Show. The show has moved from moderate conservatism to the far right pro-Trump camp.

March 17, 2024 11:37 pm  #14

March 19, 2024 7:02 am  #15

Corus is really pumping this new show, first with a full Global TV article on him and now with a three minute-plus video of host Damian Rickards. You can watch it here. 

March 19, 2024 8:36 am  #16

Damian worked at 91.5 The Beat in Kitchener/Waterloo and will be well known to the audience here.  I listened to some of the first show last night, and as mentioned, airs only in Southern Ontario on 9 Corus stations.  Mr. D is a high energy host and it will be interesting to see how he does up against Virgin Radio and their cross Canada Night Show With Myles Galloway which has been on air for a few years now.

Speaking of Myles, here is an interesting Youtube of him after he just got fired from his job in the UK.  He decided he wanted to move to Canada and this is the video of his Vancouver to Toronto tour of some radio stations applying for a job.  Of course he got a job at Virgin in Toronto eventually and then the evening syndicated show.  Interesting clip.  https://www.google.com/search?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yout-ube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjpgGiMKyK1M&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=https%3A%2F%2F#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9da81acc,vid:jpgGiMKyK1M,st:0

Last edited by paterson1 (March 19, 2024 8:49 am)

March 19, 2024 10:49 am  #17

paterson1 wrote:

Damian worked at 91.5 The Beat in Kitchener/Waterloo and will be well known to the audience here. 

He's been back on The Beat tracking evenings for a few years now, so it'll be seamless.