sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2024 8:21 am  #1

How Long Can Cable's "Ghost" Networks Like MuchMusic Survive?

They are the remnants of another time, not really that long ago. But how are they surviving? That's the question posed in an Associated Press article about entities the author calls "Ghost Networks."

He notes the glory days of cable when MTV in the U.S. (and MuchMusic in Canada) were pop culture trend setters, attracting millions of eyeballs. Now both are barely watched, there's almost no music, and the shows they do have are ones you've probably seen before. And they're not the only ones. 

"For many, most of the schedules are big blocks of reruns: “Seinfeld” and “The Office” on Comedy Central, “The Big Bang Theory” and “Young Sheldon” on TBS. Tyler Perry movies dominate. Cheap and cheesy nonfiction fills time: “90 Day Fiance,” “Prison Brides,” “Married at First Sight,” “Contraband: Seized at the Border.”

That’s not appointment TV. It’s accidental. Ghosts."

Can they survive? So far, they have. But to what purpose? Is there a point to keeping a MuchMusic on the air if its original mission is long since dead?

They are TV’s ghosts — networks that somehow survive with little reason to watch them anymore

March 1, 2024 8:25 am  #2

Re: How Long Can Cable's "Ghost" Networks Like MuchMusic Survive?

There are many pointless ‘channels’ that have lost their way and should be shuttered. HLN, CMT, OLN and MUCH come to mind. Incidentally MTV2 closes at the end of this month.

March 1, 2024 9:07 am  #3

andysradio wrote:

There are many pointless ‘channels’ that have lost their way and should be shuttered. HLN, CMT, OLN and MUCH come to mind. Incidentally MTV2 closes at the end of this month.

Comedy is another one. They will continue to survive as long as they use programs they have already paid for and don’t employ anyone.

March 1, 2024 10:16 pm  #4

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Comedy is another one. They will continue to survive as long as they use programs they have already paid for and don’t employ anyone.

Locked out of my menu as well as those listed above 

March 2, 2024 8:48 am  #5

It seems to be a law that every specialty channel eventually turns to muck.

March 2, 2024 12:04 pm  #6

...for as long as they can skim from your cable bill regardless of whether anyone's actually watching.

March 2, 2024 2:23 pm  #7

Do 'A&E' and The History Channel still exist?  Way back when, they started out with noble intentions, but the last time I noticed, all they showed were the dregs of reality TV, like hoarders and those people who bid on abandoned storage lockers.  Hardly artistic, entertaining or of historical importance.

Last edited by Walter (March 2, 2024 2:23 pm)

March 2, 2024 3:57 pm  #8

Walter wrote:

Do 'A&E' and The History Channel still exist?  Way back when, they started out with noble intentions, but the last time I noticed, all they showed were the dregs of reality TV, like hoarders and those people who bid on abandoned storage lockers.  Hardly artistic, entertaining or of historical importance.

History expanded into a History 2, if that counts for anything...plus also, storage wars has "history" when they find old things in the locker...yikes, I honestly don't know if I'm being serious or funny now...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 2, 2024 7:15 pm  #9

Bell must be feeling my wrath against their ghost channels.  Cancelled every service tier except basic, US timeshift and sports.  Not missing any of the ghosts, and the savings more than pay for  US streaming services that we actually watch and enjoy.

March 3, 2024 4:07 pm  #10

Walter wrote:

When I first subscribed to A&E, I always watched "Biography" and "Time Machine". Now, all they seem to air are endless reruns of "The First 48"

March 3, 2024 5:40 pm  #11

mace wrote:

Walter wrote:

When I first subscribed to A&E, I always watched "Biography" and "Time Machine". Now, all they seem to air are endless reruns of "The First 48"

Exactly, whatever the hell 'The First 48' is.

March 3, 2024 10:01 pm  #12

Walter wrote:

mace wrote:

Walter wrote:

It’s fun to pretend not to have heard of a show that has been on the air for TWENTY YEARS isn’t it? It’s one of the favorite games on this message board. As is painfully obvious by the title it’s a reference to widely known fact that the first 48 hours are the most crucial in any murder investigation. After that the odds of solving the crime drop significantly.

March 4, 2024 1:58 am  #13

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Walter wrote:

mace wrote:

It’s fun to pretend not to have heard of a show that has been on the air for TWENTY YEARS isn’t it? It’s one of the favorite games on this message board. As is painfully obvious by the title it’s a reference to widely known fact that the first 48 hours are the most crucial in any murder investigation. After that the odds of solving the crime drop significantly.

I can honestly say I have never heard of the First 48 show. I don't watch A&E.  I am very thankful for the freedom to choose 20 channels in a Flex 20 pack.
A&E is not one of them. I have no plans to make it one. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

March 4, 2024 10:08 am  #14

The First 48 is actually a compelling watch. Real footage  from the 911 call to most times a successful investigation and arrest. The last seasons of it have centered on Tulsa Oklahoma and Atlanta Georgia. The murder rates there are astronomical. I don't envy the homicide detectives there at all. 

March 4, 2024 10:13 am  #15

In a similar vein to the original article, this is from The Detroit Free Press:

Broadcast vs. cable vs. streaming: The future of television is a confusing maze for viewers

March 4, 2024 12:13 pm  #16

I don’t know why people don’t seem to have the self-control to keep one streaming service that they enjoy the most, and then swap in and out of the rest.
If you like Jon Stewart, get Paramount+ until the summer hiatus, and then swap it out for Disney+ through the summer. If you find you’ve watched everything on Disney+ by August, swap it out for Netflix for a month.
It’s much easier to switch streaming services than it used to be to cancel cable.

March 4, 2024 12:55 pm  #17

Im even worried about channels like CTV2 Barrie, which used to be vibrant local channels under the wrath of Bell Media now - it just runs Seinfeld and pointless shows and now even less local news.