sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2024 5:09 pm  #1

CN Tower Master FM Antenna

The first of many applications to be approved for parameter modifications resulting from the new Master FM antenna:

Broadcasting Applications Report (crtc.gc.ca)

The new antenna is being built in the aperture vacated by CBLT-TV, the now defunct Channel 5. The centre of radiation is higher, resulting in an increase in the EHHAT (effective height above average terrain) from 420.5 metres to 449.3.  Because most Class C1 stations are operating at maximum parameters for their corresponding EHAAT (40 kW for most), a reduction in ERP is required to maintain equivalence in the contours.
CHFI-FM was grandfathered at super power parameters 44 kW (because it was 210 kW when transmitting from the CFTO-TV Agincourt tower), so it must reduce ERP to 39.81 kW.  The 40 kW stations will be correspondingly lower (approximately 36 kW). 
HD transmissions will now be feasible for those stations that so wish.

February 8, 2024 6:10 pm  #2

Re: CN Tower Master FM Antenna

Oh wow its happening and by May 2024 the document I believe said it is to be complete and has been worked on since 2020?  This must be quite the feat.  Are they bringing equipment up thru the skypod and up the ladder? 

Last edited by markow202 (February 8, 2024 6:52 pm)

February 10, 2024 4:10 pm  #3

The CRTC approved the technical adjustments for CHFI, JAZZ FM and BOOM.  More from RadioWest and Dan Sys..https://radiowest.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12867921#p12867921

February 11, 2024 12:15 am  #4

Curious, as a DXer, if this will involve any planned shutdowns while work is going on?

February 12, 2024 11:04 am  #5

Saul wrote:

Curious, as a DXer, if this will involve any planned shutdowns while work is going on?

Possibly or not, as I imagine they will setup the new one and just do a switch over but then again I dont know about testing.