sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 5, 2024 10:21 am  #1

Could The Super Bowl One Day Be Streaming Only?

Some experts seem to think it's inevitable, but it can't happen until at least after 2033, when the NFL's current deal with the networks runs out. After that? Well, it's anybody's guess. But after a playoff game went on Peacock only in the U.S. and increased subscriber numbers substantially, the only sure thing is that it will happen again. 

But what about the Big Game itself? Even though viewer numbers on free TV remain huge, some feel it's only a matter of time. And it will take more than four quarters to buy your admission to the finale. 

"It’s not easy to come up with a price point for a Super Bowl behind a paywall. Is there a ceiling for what is far and away the most popular communal TV experience for Americans every year (as well as close to nine million Canadians)? Going back to the hypothetical lede of this article: Say Netflix got 30 million new signups for a Super Bowl experience at $149. That’s nearly $4.5 billion. That doesn’t include advertising revenue. There would be a ton of subscriber churn post-Super Bowl, for sure, but there would also be those who stay with the product and then pay for the annual subscription."

Will the Super Bowl ever be behind a streaming paywall? Here’s what it’d take

February 5, 2024 11:12 am  #2

Re: Could The Super Bowl One Day Be Streaming Only?

Also what does this do for bars? I'm guessing there will have to be a cover charge to cover the fees involved in covering the game. 
I was originally thinking nobody would go to a bar and pay that cover charge, but then I also figured maybe people will if it's cheaper than having to pay for it to be in their homes. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

February 5, 2024 11:24 am  #3

Definitely a case of "when" not "if.

We'll hit a point where streaming is the easier, more accessible option for most people. We're probably there with about half the population.

I don't think they'd charge anything extra to watch it. That's been possible with TV for decades and they haven't done it.

February 5, 2024 11:51 am  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

Definitely a case of "when" not "if.
I don't think they'd charge anything extra to watch it. That's been possible with TV for decades and they haven't done it.

No, no extra fees, just the standard subscription fees.
People who were watching the game OTA will be S.O.L. (or SOL on standard cable, without any extra monthly charges)
If they want to see the game they will most likely have to pay the streaming fees. 

This is why I mention bars, which might not be happy with having to pay an extra streaming fee on top of anything they already pay to carry games in their bar.  
Same with the home. Extra streaming fees (if they don't already have a certain streaming service in their home)
avoided by simply watching the game at the local bar... 

Last edited by Radiowiz (February 5, 2024 12:10 pm)

February 5, 2024 12:08 pm  #5

The real goldmine for the streamers will be the ability to deliver targeted advertising. That's a game-changer.

February 5, 2024 12:16 pm  #6

RadioAaron wrote:

The real goldmine for the streamers will be the ability to deliver targeted advertising. That's a game-changer.

Now THAT is EXACTLY the great point...except, many of the SuperBowl ads will be Tide gets your clothes clean or general ads that everyone can perhaps say yes to. (or not) 

February 5, 2024 12:22 pm  #7

A mix of both, sure.

February 5, 2024 1:31 pm  #8

Let's see. 2045. I probably won't be around to see a paywall bound Super Bowl. I would be 92. On the bright side, the Leafs will have finally won two playoff series in the same season. Unfortunately, still no Stanley Cup.

February 5, 2024 2:41 pm  #9

All of this is assuming that the US OTA networks are still around in 10 years or in their same form. Could be some big changes in network TV over the next decade. 

February 5, 2024 10:28 pm  #10

paterson1 wrote:

All of this is assuming that the US OTA networks are still around in 10 years or in their same form. Could be some big changes in network TV over the next decade. 

They'll still be there. The TV antenna will still be in use and people will still enjoy some form of entertainment for free. 
Advertisers want a place where they know they can grab the eyes of people who never paid a cent to see their ad. 
(unless 100% free with ads becomes a thing with the streamers)

February 6, 2024 12:49 am  #11

The biggest single money maker for ads won’t be going subscriber based and ad free anytime soon. The streamers have just discovered that advertising pays for content more than subscribers do. That’s why they are all moving to advertising models now. For Netflix the cheapest subscription with ads makes them more money than the most costly subscription without ads.

February 6, 2024 1:20 am  #12

Prediction - within the decade ahead everything will be streaming. Watch how the current OTA channels continuously promote they on line channels. Crave - Gem etc are only the beginning. OTA will be gone.

Already you will find most networks (world-wide) provide streamed (ROKU etc) major network programming.

If anything stays OTA/cable it will be local news in each city. And BTW - most ISP companies are moving away from phone lines.  Most now are going to the old fashioned cable.  I think they are calling it fibre. 

Last edited by Marsden (February 6, 2024 1:25 am)

February 6, 2024 8:11 am  #13

Does this apply to streaming services, as well as websites? Time will tell. 

The Internet Learns What Radio Already Knows: Consumers Prefer Ads Over Subscriptions

February 9, 2024 12:45 pm  #14

February 9, 2024 1:50 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

I do watch football and am tired of seeing and hearing about her. Looking forward to [hopefully] a 49er victory, and seeing the sad, disappointed look on her face.