sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2023 12:22 pm  #1

David Marsden Looks Back At CHUM-FM, CFNY & The Future Of Radio

Billboard Canada looks back on the amazing life and times of David Marsden, one of our most honoured SOWNY members. In this Q&A with another radio legend, Dave Charles, the man behind The Spirit of Radio recalls those CFNY days, working with the often bizarre Allen Brothers, who owned the station, how he helped bring the prog rock format to Canada, whether he believes modern radio can survive, his years at CHUM-FM, and about his real name - which isn't really Marsden or Mickie!

As for his pioneering days in the early days of FM rock radio, it started in Montreal. 

"...all the DJs on the AM side told me I had made the biggest mistake of my career. "That's not going to work!" "No one even has an FM radio." "FM will never be available in cars!" At that time, FM radios were only in homes of the older demo. The device holding those FM radios was the size of a Volkswagen and usually found only at Grandma's place."

A Q&A with Legendary Canadian Broadcaster David Marsden

December 8, 2023 2:25 pm  #2

Re: David Marsden Looks Back At CHUM-FM, CFNY & The Future Of Radio

Thank you for sharing...

December 9, 2023 9:28 am  #3

I remember when David came to CHUM-FM.  Larry Green had just quit his 2-6 pm shift to go to GRT records.  I was doing 10pm to 2 am at the time.  When David came over, Bob Laine gave him the choice of 10-2 or 2-6 pm.  I had just gotten married and was hoping David would choose the 10 pm to 2 am shift so that I could move to daytime.  David chose 10 pm to 2 am; therefore, I could move to daytime.  I thanked him at the time; but once again, thank you MARSBAR!!!  He remains my radio hero to this day.  An absolute legend in broadcasting.

December 9, 2023 10:37 am  #4

I was fortunate to spend my last year in broadcasting at 83 Kennedy Road in Brampton . I was on the AM side of the operation, but got to rub shoulders with the 'NY staff. After spending 11 years in small market radio, it was simply fantastic to be in  the presence of these people, I even got to voice spots for CFNY , which I was extremely proud of. Then, the AM side was sold , my job concluded , and my world changed dramatically. I had to get a real job. 

December 9, 2023 11:49 am  #5

mic'em wrote:

I was fortunate to spend my last year in broadcasting at 83 Kennedy Road in Brampton . I was on the AM side of the operation, but got to rub shoulders with the 'NY staff. After spending 11 years in small market radio, it was simply fantastic to be in  the presence of these people, I even got to voice spots for CFNY , which I was extremely proud of. Then, the AM side was sold , my job concluded , and my world changed dramatically. I had to get a real job. 

What real job did you end up getting?

December 9, 2023 1:51 pm  #6

I got an AZ license and was never unemployed again. To go from 25k a year to 70+ was a major change in fortune. 37 years later, no regrets. I really feel for the people being laid off and/or replaced in broadcasting, especially the over 50 folks.