sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2023 4:32 pm  #1

Dave's Corner Garage ending December 16th

[color=var(--secondary-text)]From their Facebook page,
[color=var(--primary-text)]Dave's Corner Garage  will be airing our final show on Saturday December 16th. We could not have enjoyed such tremendous success without YOU, our many listeners/followers and the team at AM 740. Stay tuned for some special shows over the next 2 Saturdays. As Dave always said, "keep the shinny side up, and the greasy side down".[/color][/color]

Last edited by Centerline (December 4, 2023 4:33 pm)

December 5, 2023 8:56 am  #2

Re: Dave's Corner Garage ending December 16th

Too bad as I enjoyed this show and was glad they kept it going after Dave Redinger passed last February. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down! Alan Gelman and Brian Makse have carried the show very well and I am going to miss them. Happy trails!

December 16, 2023 10:55 am  #3

Reason may be that core listeners (members of CARP) had their driver's licenses seized way back when they turned eighty

December 16, 2023 2:59 pm  #4

It so happens that most senior drivers including myself have been accident free for many years and are much more conscientious and safe drivers than young adult males that speed dangerously and weave in and out of lanes in sports cars on 400 series highways.  Those are the people that need to be nailed for re-testing.

December 16, 2023 3:50 pm  #5

And so, getting back to the point of Centerline's post, would you describe yourself as:

-  a regular listener to this weekly program, or
 - an occasional listener, or
 - never listened and are shocked to learn that it's now too late

Vote now, SOWNY statisticians are standing by.   Also, out of curiosity, what year & make of vehicle do you drive?  

Last edited by R-S-T-L-N-E (December 16, 2023 3:52 pm)

December 16, 2023 4:30 pm  #6

I used to listen occasionally when they would have guest mechanics and consumer advocates and take calls from listeners with car issues.  I stopped listening when it became nothing more than an infomercial. I actually recall listening to Alan German when he had his own show about car issues on CFRB many years ago. I also enjoyed CP24's Auto Shop with guest mechanics and consumer advocates and found it to be very informative.  We need a 
consumer-oriented program about car issues on either radio or TV in this area especially nowadays when buying a new car is an absolute nightmare with many dealers forcing potential buyers to pay for useless add-nos and other fees.  Even the Wheels section in the Saturday Star which used to be very informative has degenerated into
a couple of pages of fluff.  Where are you Jim Kenzie?  Also on TV or radio where are you George Iny  and
Mohammed Bouchama?
To answer your question I drive a 2012 Toyota Venza ..very reliable and comfortable.  Plan to drive it as long as it lasts.  The after market GPS- radio in it stopped working so I had a new Kenwood unit installed with SiriusXM and
Apple Car Play and I love it.

Last edited by mojo55 (December 16, 2023 4:39 pm)

December 16, 2023 9:32 pm  #7

I can think of one member of this board in Wa sah ga Beach that is likely lamenting this development. 

December 17, 2023 8:08 am  #8

Shorty Wave wrote:

I enjoyed this show and was glad they kept it going after Dave Redinger passed last February   

All Things Must Pass - G. Harrison

December 18, 2023 7:35 am  #9

I drive a 2006 boring beige Toyota Camry. Only 107000km AND it has the type of radio RA wishes he could have again. AM/FM with 6 AM presets and 12 FM presets. It is not an entertainment system, just a simple AM/FM car radio.

December 18, 2023 8:01 am  #10

mace wrote:

I drive a 2006 boring beige Toyota Camry. Only 107000km AND it has the type of radio RA wishes he could have again. AM/FM with 6 AM presets and 12 FM presets. It is not an entertainment system, just a simple AM/FM car radio.

And no screen or "joystick-like" controller that distracts your attention on the road every time you want to turn or tune the station. (Which in my case, is a lot.) I know it looks futuristic and has become part of every new car, but to me it's dangerous.

The old kind I could use without even looking down. Now it's a two or three step complicated mess every time you interact with the thing and it's really, really stupid. I'm actually jealous of your so-called "old tech."

Some things don't need to change if they work and make more sense. This is one of them. It's the one thing I miss in my old car.