sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 15, 2023 1:36 am  #1

Ohio, Pennsylvania and some NY radio stations heard in SW Ontario

So on my way home from work in London I was browsing the radio and some of the stations from Cleveland and Erie was booming in the outskirts of London. But later this evening more stations from Ohio and Pennsylvania and some from New York state were comming in Southwestern Ontario. You can kinda say this was a DXing event on a clear cold evening. 
For instance I have identified a few radio stations like 92.3 The Fan Cleveland OH, 93.1 WZAK Cleveland OH, 93.9 The Wolf Erie PA, 95.5 The Fish Cleveland OH, WAKS Kiss 96.5 Clevland OH, 97.9 WXTA Nash FM Erie PA, 98.5 WNCX Cleveland OH, 100.7 WMMS The Buzzard Cleveland OH, Star 102 (102.1) Cleveland OH, 102.9 WYFM (Rock 103) Youngstown OH, 103.7 WRTS (Star 104) Erie PA, 104.1 (Q104) Cleveland OH 104.9 WRKT (Rocket 105 Erie PA) and WENZ 107.9 Cleveland OH. 
The typical 104.3 WOMC Detroit was comming in fine but I was unable to pickup 102.5 from Buffalo and same with 99.5 too from Buffalo.
This was a great night to catch these stations that don't come in accross the lake into Ontario often.

November 15, 2023 2:10 am  #2

Re: Ohio, Pennsylvania and some NY radio stations heard in SW Ontario

Here in London I sometimes listen to WQLN, the NPR station in Erie PA. Down south of here around St Thomas or Port Stanley, on L Erie, it's always available.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

November 15, 2023 7:28 am  #3

I am not familiar with out of town reception in London. Would Erie and Cleveland best be defined as tropo reception only?

November 15, 2023 10:58 am  #4

They would, along with the Toronto and Buffalo FM radio stations. Stations like 104.3 WOMC, 88.7 CIMX, and 93.9 CIDR are more common because they are high powered. 

November 15, 2023 11:04 am  #5

I had a 10 element FM antenna on a 40 foot tower with rotor and in my opinion London is really a no mans land for FM reception from the US. It is too far to RELIABLY receive stations from Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Toledo etc. Sure they would come in sometimes but not reliably. Now I could receive stations from Port Huron Mi., Sarnia, Chatham, Kitchener, Brantford, Guelph, Hamilton and usually WCCK from Erie Pa.

The others are just too far away. It's been my experience the range of FM broadcast signals drop off about 60 - 80 miles from the transmitting tower; many stations with lower power and antenna height make less than this.There my some some exceptions, but not many.

November 15, 2023 11:34 am  #6

When I lived in London I could normally get WNCX Cleveland, particularly in the south part of the city (Lambeth, etc.). Not clearly like a local, though I’ve gotten it very clearly around St. Thomas.

On the other side of Lake Erie, I’ve been to Cleveland a few times and on the eastern outskirts of the city most of the London FMs come in. The one time I was able to listen to London’s CBC 93.5 clearly all the way from Cleveland to past Erie along I-90.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (November 15, 2023 11:39 am)

November 15, 2023 11:51 am  #7

A long time ago, before there were stations at nearly every position on the FM dial in the GTA, Star 104, then known as WCCK (and WWGO before that) from Erie, was a regular in Toronto. I haven't heard it here in years. Stations from Ohio were also common.

In fact, most of the Buffalo FMs used to come in like locals. I remember what was then WGRQ sounding like it was next door. Now, outside of the two grandfathered super powered ones, we can barely and rarely hear anything from down there - including WDGE (then WYSL-FM) and WBUF along with WHTT. All are almost completely unreceivable now. I miss those options. 

November 15, 2023 12:15 pm  #8

Most of the major Buffalo FM's come back nicely once you get to Scarborough/Pickering in the east and Mississauga/Oakville in the west.

November 15, 2023 4:33 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

A long time ago, before there were stations at nearly every position on the FM dial in the GTA, Star 104, then known as WCCK (and WWGO before that) from Erie, was a regular in Toronto. I haven't heard it here in years. Stations from Ohio were also common.

In fact, most of the Buffalo FMs used to come in like locals. I remember what was then WGRQ sounding like it was next door. Now, outside of the two grandfathered super powered ones, we can barely and rarely hear anything from down there - including WDGE (then WYSL-FM) and WBUF along with WHTT. All are almost completely unreceivable now. I miss those options. 

Is it the development of buildings mostly the issue?   This would probably come in decent in the area of something like Pickering/Scarborough. 

November 15, 2023 5:19 pm  #10

I'm honestly not sure what happened, but there's more noise on the FM band than ever. I also remember hearing a long time ago that many of these Buffalo stations were moving their transmitters farther away to the south and that may have had an impact on reception here, as well. Although I was never able to 100% confirm that. Does anyone know if that's true?

November 15, 2023 6:40 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

I'm honestly not sure what happened, but there's more noise on the FM band than ever. I also remember hearing a long time ago that many of these Buffalo stations were moving their transmitters farther away to the south and that may have had an impact on reception here, as well. Although I was never able to 100% confirm that. Does anyone know if that's true?

Most of those Buffalo transmitters are in the same spots (FM but not the case for some TV).  I think our FM band is just congested with too much signal. 

Last edited by markow202 (November 15, 2023 6:40 pm)

November 15, 2023 9:38 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

I was working in Simcoe in the summer of 2011, and aside from local CD98.9 and 92.1 from Brantford, Star 104 was the strongest FM radio signal locally. Hamilton, Niagara/Buffalo, London and K-W FMs were all a bit fuzzy - even London’s FM96 blowtorch.

November 16, 2023 3:03 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

A few signals have moved, but most haven't. Among the big ones:

92.9 actually moved north, leaving its longtime site near Boston NY to go to the tower behind the WIVB studios in North Buffalo. 

93.7, 96.1 and 106.5 are and have always been on the Rand Building downtown.

94.5 and 99.5 are and have always been next to each other in the hills south of Buffalo on Zimmerman Road.

96.9 moved (a long time ago now) from the WGRZ tower in the south hills to the North Buffalo tower behind WIVB.

98.5 is and has always been on Grand Island, though it's moved around a bit as its old tower was taken down and replaced, with temporary operation from one tower of WBEN 930. 

102.5 is and has always been on the WIVB transmitter tower in Colden, south of Buffalo.

103.3 is on a tower at the intersection of the 33 and 198 on the northeast side of Buffalo. 

104.1 is on the WBBF 1120 tower site on Ridge Road off the 90 and 219 on the south side of Buffalo.

But here's the interesting part - moving north doesn't automatically mean a better signal into Toronto! Those sites in the south hills may be more distant from Toronto but they're also much higher up, which means a better ability to see over the escarpment and across the lake. So the stations that did move north (92.9 and 96.9) probably don't have as good a Toronto signal as they did from the south hills. 

And of course all the additional signals on the dial, electrical noise and tall buildings downtown do a lot to block out what were once clear signals from across the border!

November 16, 2023 3:22 pm  #14

Thanks for the always interesting info Mr. Fybush. Of all the stations you mention - and I used to get them all very clearly years ago - only 98.5, 99.5 and 102.5 (the last two higher powered) come in here at all on any kind of regular basis. 

My biggest TV problem is WIVB, which used to be great before they moved to their new location. I'm guessing all the FMs transmitting from there suffer from the same issue as a result. At least for me.

And WBEN, which was once almost a local here, is very weak and noisy into northern Toronto. In fact, the only real clear AM anymore is WGR. 

Again, it's not that I listened to all the stations you listed, but it was just nice to be able to get then when I felt like it. Now, it's pretty much online only, and with all the choice available on the web, I rarely bother. 

November 16, 2023 4:14 pm  #15

Scott Fybush is spot on, as usual. 92.9 and 96.9 are actually often not steadily available at my DX site in the north end of the Kawarthas. Same with 98.5. I have pretty much milked these channels.

When I park the radio on 92.9, and record the channel, I'll typically hear CHTG The Grand from Haldimand the most often. If regional enhancement is really strong towards Buffalo, Bufaflo will become more steady or mix with CHTG. WJZQ Cadillac is maybe the third most common, then CBC Radio 2 Kingston, followed by WEZF Burlington VT. Often, I'll get these four in regular rotation, taking brief turns and spiking up a decent signal for maybe 10-30 seconds. But in truly dead conditions, I can go 15 or more minutes with nothing coming in save meteor scatter bursts and E-skip when the latter is in season. Pittsburgh PA is a very occasional visitor.

96.9 behaves similarly. CKOI Verdun/Montreal is actually the most common when enhancement towards Buffalo is not happening. The rotation almost always then goes to WOUR Utica NY. Then Buffalo. Then WBTI Lexington MI, which is near Port Huron. I was surprised this summer by W245DI, a 250 watt translator of 1420 AM WACK that is located in Sodus NY near the Lake Ontario shoreline, and sometimes I'll get fadeups from other Michigan stations and from Pittsburgh.

98.5 is much the same with Niagara Falls well behind the pecking order. CKWR Kitchener-Waterloo is the most common, followed by Niagara Falls, and CHMP Longueuil QC is often in 3rd place but - like CKOI - I can get good long stretches of it. WUPS Harrison MI is also a regular in the rotation.

102.5 is often occupied either by Buffalo or by the CBC repeater in Shelburne, which is perhaps more common. Rome NY occasionally pops in, but it's the CBC French from Ottawa that's in 3rd place. WIOG Bay City MI is generally in there too. But Buffalo and Shelburne pretty much own the channel, though I have the ability to set the portable dipole antenna so as to block them a wee bit.

96.1 - Buffalo and CBC North Bay are pretty even, and Bay City MI is commonplace too.

94.5 is mostly a mix between Buffalo and Wingham, some Syracuse NY.

93.7 is mostly Georgina, with Buffalo always in the mix depending on my antenna direction. Owen Sound is always waiting in the wings. I don't get any real empty space anyore for meteor scatter, but e-skip signals will often override all of this.

99.5 is mostly Muskoka. Followed by Buffalo. It takes an effort or a DX opening to get anything else.

Now, when I walk up with a portable to my 'East Hill', which literally hugs the base of a small rock cliff to my west and south, I can break all the rules and clean up on signals out towards Ottawa and Montreal. CKOI basically is a constant on 96.9. Kingston and Vermont own 92.9. Ottawa owns 102.5. 94.5 is Ottawa and some Syracuse. 98.5 is mostly Quebec and occasional CBC Whitney ON (Algonquin Park area). But this is a site where CKCU Ottawa comes in strong despite nearby CHAY Barrie on 93.1, and where I have heard eastwards to Saguenay a couple times, as well as Maine and even New Brunswick via tropo.

Driving along the 401 from Toronto to London is interesting. Buffalo and Detroit stations are always fairly strong, but there is some fading in of other stations. I've often heard Pittsburgh during otherwise blah conditions.                     

November 16, 2023 11:08 pm  #16

RA and all; I think you can largely blame the advent of HD Radio for the loss of some of the Buffalo FM's. HD Radio uses part of an adjacent station's frequency spectrum for both the upper and lower adjacent channels. On an analogue radio, these HD sidebands sound much like interstation noise to the listener but in reality, the noise floor on a portion of these adjacent frequencies is highly elevated. For the receiver, this masks out (or interferes) with the desired analogue station that is weaker than the adjacent station's HD sideband. Hope this makes sense. If all southern Ontario area broadcasters were to turn off their HD sidebands, we would be able to receive most of the missing Buffalo stations again, less WBUF and WYRK.

Here is the current state of the nation for the full power Buffalo stations WRT listeners in Toronto and why you may no longer receive them:

WBFO 88.7 > CIRV was initially co-channel when it launched but later moved to 88.9 and increased their power. They have since launched HD, which interferes with reception in Toronto of adjacents 88.7 and 89.1.

WBUF 92.9 > They moved some years ago to the Elmwood Ave. tower and now have a very sharp null towards Hamilton and Toronto. They broadcast in HD and are most likely protecting CHAY 93.1 from interference in the Toronto area. Another theory (for what it is worth) is that for a period of time, they operated with the "Jack FM" format in the same period as Toronto's CISS 92.5. Listeners were probably confusing the two of them, which could have had an impact on 92.5's ratings. WBUF's pattern change also allowed for a new drop in frequency for Haldimand/Norfolk. If you drive east of Toronto, WBUF's signal starts to increase since you are leaving the protection area.

WBLK 93.7 > Became 1st adjacent to CFXJ 93.5. CFXJ have since incorporated HD which interferes with reception of 93.3 and 93.7.

WNED 94.5 > Became 1st adjacent to CHKX 94.7 Hamilton. CHKX has also launched HD that interferes with 94.5 but not so much with 94.9 CKGE, which is also owned by Durham. I suspect they have reduced power on the CHKX upper HD sideband to protect 94.9 for its listeners in Toronto.

WMSX 96.1 > Became 1st adjacents to CJKX 95.9 and CFMZ 96.3. Both stations broadcast in HD and with the upper HD sideband of CJKX and the lower HD sideband of CFMZ, there is really little chance of hearing WMSX anymore in the GTA as it is completely buried in noise.

WGRF 96.9 > Became co-channel to CKHC (Radio Humber's LPFM) and 1st adjacent to CFZM-1. WGRF is also on the Elmwood tower and has since reduced their signal towards Toronto/Hamilton. WGRF broadcasts in HD and would need to protect adjacent CHYM & CFZM-1. That said, WGRF can still be heard somewhat decently in east Toronto.

WKSE 98.5 > Became 1st adjacent to CKFG 98.7. WKSE does broadcast in HD and does not appear to try and protect CKFG from interference from its upper HD sideband. As some may know, CKFG already suffers serious interference from CBC R1 Peterborough 98.7 towards the east and was seeking approval for a synchronous repeater to help fill in the interference zone. It's somewhat ironic, since CBC moved the Peterborough R1 frequency from 93.5 to 98.7 years ago to allow for (then) urban formatted CFXJ to launch in Toronto, with the idea of forcing Toronto listeners away from WBLK.

WDCX 99.5 > No changes here. Being sandwiched between CBLA 99.1 and CKFM 99.9 tends to desensitize some receivers and perhaps even more so now that both these broadcast in HD. WDCX also broadcasts in HD.

WBKV 102.5 > No real changes here (well, other than format and call sign). They have become 1st adjacent to CJRK 102.7 (East FM), which causes WBKV some interference in east Scarborough. WBKV broadcasts in HD and early on I was able to lock their HD sidebands here in Toronto. It appears they have since reduced the power of those HD sidebands as I haven't been able to get a lock for quite a while now. Note CJRK is weak for me as I reside within their antenna's null pattern.

WEDG 103.3 > Became first adjacent to CIDC 103.5. CIDC launched HD a few years ago that now impairs reception of 103.3 and 103.7.

WHTT 104.1 > Became co-channel to CICZ Midland but typically CICZ doesn't reach into Toronto to do much damage. WHTT also became first adjacent to the now defunct CIRR 103.9. Not sure if WHTT broadcasts in HD. Maybe someone closer to Buffalo can chime in?

WYRK 106.5 > Became co-channel to CFPT. Both broadcast in HD (the latter probably by necessity!). A definite poster child for the case of making use of the unique RDS PI code identifier.

WLKK 107.7 > Always has been first adjacent to CJXY 107.9 and more recently, co-channel to CKDO Oshawa. CKDO typically only reaches as far as Scarborough, so WLKK is still available in some parts of Toronto.

November 17, 2023 12:27 am  #17

That's a great explanation and a lot of work, so thanks for that. The only thing I would say is I believe a lot of these signals becoming effectively non-existent in my neck of the woods (the northern edge of North York) happened before HD became a big thing.

Maybe they were preparing for those signals in advance, I can't say. But this lack of reception almost certainly predates the sideband, although I couldn't give you an exact date for when it started. They all seemed to disappear around the same time. 

Can't get them OTA most of the time, even in the car, which usually has the best reception. I want my Buffalo FMs back!

November 17, 2023 1:00 am  #18

I agree with the idea that local HD has impacted the reception of  American stations. I used to listen to WBFO and it was exactly  when 88.9 went HD that their OTA signal pretty much disappeared.  Another example is when CBL 99.1 went HD 88.9 from Rochester disappeared. 98.5, 96.9 and 104.1 still come in for me because there is no adjacent local HD.

I am in Pickering and it takes a really strong tropo to over-ride the local HD interference.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

November 17, 2023 3:01 pm  #19

WGRF, WEDG, WBKV, and WHTT no longer broadcast in HD.

November 17, 2023 9:52 pm  #20

canam2021 wrote:

WGRF, WEDG, WBKV, and WHTT no longer broadcast in HD.

Noted. Thanks!

November 17, 2023 9:59 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

That's a great explanation and a lot of work, so thanks for that. The only thing I would say is I believe a lot of these signals becoming effectively non-existent in my neck of the woods (the northern edge of North York) happened before HD became a big thing.

Maybe they were preparing for those signals in advance, I can't say. But this lack of reception almost certainly predates the sideband, although I couldn't give you an exact date for when it started. They all seemed to disappear around the same time. 

Can't get them OTA most of the time, even in the car, which usually has the best reception. I want my Buffalo FMs back!

HD radio has been around for quite some time now.  I'd say Buffalo started with it at least 15 years ago. I believe  the first GTHA station to go HD was CING 95.3 - thinking around 2009.