sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 7, 2023 2:33 pm  #1

Why Do These Newscasts Insist On Doing This?

I watch a wide variety of TV news and there are a few quirks that keep popping up that make me crazy (as if I need anything else to make that happen!)

For instance, what is CTV Toronto's obsession with the Royal Family? Every newscast seems to devote at least 40-60 secs. to whatever they're up to, regardless of whether it's of any importance whatsoever. They've run something about them almost every day for the last several weeks, including King Charles visiting Kenya and Prince William taking part in a dragon boat race in Singapore.

They even did the King's Speech on Tuesday's noon show, which while certainly important in Britain, was relatively not a story here. (I didn't see it on any other channel.)

And my question is: who cares? If there's some actual news value in this, I can't imagine what it is. And while they're bringing you this useless bit of information, it means there are more worthwhile stories they don't have time to get to. 

I'm not a monarchist, as you can tell, but if there's a legitimate news value in running this stuff, then fine. Otherwise, I'd love an explanation about why they waste so much air time on what is essentially fluff. 

We've talked before about the overuse and abuse of "Breaking News" but it's still going on, even if it's just barely news and long after it's 'breaking.' NBC is especially guilty of this still, although they've backed off it a little bit by occasionally substituting "Developing News." At least that's a little more accurate. 

The third pet peeve is from ABC's World News Tonight. Why do they insist on running 2 1/2 minutes of teasers(!) at the top of every single show? Their competitors are already well into their first story by then and they're still busy telling you what's coming up, without ever actually getting to it. 

And finally there's their anchor, David Muir. No doubt he's a good news reader, but it also appears (and this is totally my impression, not an established fact) that he's possessed of a somewhat monstrous ego. The throws to every story he introduces go on and on and on, with him revealing most of the facts in the intro before finally getting to the reporter story. 

They paid big bucks for that on the-scene-guy or gal to be in some far off locale, but he gives away 2/3 of their story in the throw. So why bother with the actual report? He also loves to insist that the details or pictures "are just coming in right now," when in fact, many of the pieces he throws to are fully edited with selected clips and video clearly done at some previous point in the day and thus demonstrably not "just in." Good as they are, no editor in the world can churn out a perfectly produced two minutes of tape for something that just came through the door. 

It's a shame this bugs me so much, because I genuinely find most of the shows informative. But it's these little things that I see every night that give me real "head lines," as I inevitably furrow my brow and go "why are they doing this?"

November 7, 2023 2:41 pm  #2

Re: Why Do These Newscasts Insist On Doing This?

John Bassett, CFTO's founder and longtime owner, was a huge monarchist. Not only was CFTO one of the few non-CBC stations (at least in the GTA) to run the Royal Christmas speech each year but they played God Save the Queen at sign off and sign off into the 90s. Bassett's been dead for a quarter century and CFTO is now owned by Bell but perhaps there are holdovers in the news staff who want to continue the station's monarchist tradition. 

November 7, 2023 3:01 pm  #3

Maybe, although I doubt there's anyone who survived from the Bassett days. But anything's possible. 

Still, I have no objection to them running the Royals if there's actual news value. Maybe the King's trip to Kenya, because it caused some controversy over the U.K.'s past deeds in that country. But a dragon boat race in a far away country that has no real relevance to Canada? When was the last time anything that happened in Singapore made news here?  

(I well remember the day they wasted over a minute of valuable airtime covering William and Kate going to a local English flower show. Why?)

Producing a nightly (or daily) news show is about choosing what counts the most and what you think your audience needs to know. Surely under any circumstances, this doesn't meet that test. 

November 7, 2023 3:09 pm  #4

Despite your dislike for the Royal family, many people find it interesting. I follow news worldwide, and the royal family constantly appears in all media. The Harry and Meghan show is top gossip news. Okay, let's substitute it with another story about a Toronto mayor that we are in the suburbs don't care about.

November 7, 2023 3:25 pm  #5

My position is the obsession with these people, whose very privilege is based solely on the fact they were born, has always baffled me. That said, I know that people from Great Britain have an intense interest in them and that's fine.

But we're not in Great Britain and there's plenty of other news to which that 60 secs. or so could have been put to better use. 

I mean really, a full minute on a flower show? How is that of any value to viewers here beyond sheer voyeurism? I'd rather hear a relevant story (and not necessarily about the mayor.) 

November 7, 2023 4:19 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

The third pet peeve is from ABC's World News Tonight. Why do they insist on running 2 1/2 minutes of teasers(!) at the top of every single show? Their competitors are already well into their first story by then and they're still busy telling you what's coming up, without ever actually getting to it. 

And finally there's their anchor, David Muir. No doubt he's a good news reader, but it also appears (and this is totally my impression, not an established fact) that he's possessed of a somewhat monstrous ego. The throws to every story he introduces go on and on and on, with him revealing most of the facts in the intro before finally getting to the reporter story. 

They paid big bucks for that on the-scene-guy or gal to be in some far off locale, but he gives away 2/3 of their story in the throw. So why bother with the actual report? He also loves to insist that the details or pictures "are just coming in right now," when in fact, many of the pieces he throws to are fully edited with selected clips and video clearly done at some previous point in the day and thus demonstrably not "just in." Good as they are, no editor in the world can churn out a perfectly produced two minutes of tape for something that just came through the door. 

It's a shame this bugs me so much, because I genuinely find most of the shows informative. But it's these little things that I see every night that give me real "head lines," as I inevitably furrow my brow and go "why are they doing this?"

Regarding the 2 1/2 minute intro for World News Tonight, it's probably for the TikTok/social media generation who are only interested in the Cole's notes version of the news and are not going to sit around and watch a whole 30 minute show. Whether they catch the broadcast on TV (by accident maybe), or someone at ABC clips that 2 1/2 minute headline sequence and posts it on social media, it catches those eyeballs.

And it seems to be working, WNT is #1 in both total viewers and the 25-54 demographic.

November 7, 2023 4:29 pm  #7

US networks have fluff reports and features on the Royals all the time.  CBC News Network, TVO, PBS, CNN and even FOX News Network have all run various documentaries about the Royals over the past year.  In the case of TVO and CNN sometimes back to back docs.  Use to be that you knew when CNN was in sweeps week since that is when all of the documentaries on The Royal Family and Kennedy's would be on the air.

Many people find the Royal Family interesting and not just in the UK.  CTV Kitchener had a clip of King Charles opening parliament at noon today.  The first time a King had done this in over 70 years.  NY Times also ran this on their site. 

CTV Toronto was not the only channel to show Wills dragon boating.  I saw it about three or four times yesterday and not all on CTV. 

November 7, 2023 5:38 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

US networks have fluff reports and features on the Royals all the time.  

I will accept some of your opinion, and agree that maybe a case could be made for the King's first-in-70-years thing. But you say "all the time." I'm willing to bet it's not every single day. 

Yet, they've been on CFTO almost every weekday newscast (which makes me think it's one of the producers who loves this stuff) and believe me, not every appearance by these people is worth 60 secs. of precious airtime. I expect CBC to do this, but to claim CNN, Fox or any of the others has a daily Royals clip or viz is a bit too much for me to buy. 

November 7, 2023 6:21 pm  #9

I agree the headlines on ABC World News Tonight are far far too long and I also agree with your observations about David Muir.. while I like him he gives the impression he thinks very highly of himself, I switched back to NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt many months ago. Solid, credible and authoritative delivery... works for me.

November 7, 2023 7:59 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I will accept some of your opinion, and agree that maybe a case could be made for the King's first-in-70-years thing. But you say "all the time." I'm willing to bet it's not every single day. 

Yet, they've been on CFTO almost every weekday newscast (which makes me think it's one of the producers who loves this stuff) and believe me, not every appearance by these people is worth 60 secs. of precious airtime. I expect CBC to do this, but to claim CNN, Fox or any of the others has a daily Royals clip or viz is a bit too much for me to buy. 

All the time doesn't mean daily and I never claimed it was.  Fox, PBS, TVO, CBC and CNN have all had several hour long documentaries on the Royals over the past year.  And I was surprised by the wall to wall day long coverage of all the US nets and media around the world on both the Queen's death and Charles coronation, even Royal weddings.  

Look at CBS interviewing Harry on 60 Minutes to over 11 million viewers.  Best rating for 60 Minutes in years.  Oprah's empty hamburger conflab with Megan and Harry that attracted over 17 million people for CBS and generated days worth of press around the world . So much press that five days later CBS decided to run the interview again to another 3 million.  So the royals are much more than just popular in the UK.

I don't watch CTV Toronto news much so can't comment on their Royal coverage.  Maybe they should focus on Taylor Swift more?  

November 7, 2023 9:10 pm  #11

True, but those instances you cite - the death of the Queen, the first crowning of a new King in 70 years - are news worthy and rare events and I would fully expect every station to do something. There's history and spectacle there on a grand scale and because it's rare, it's a big deal. So specials on that are expected and they're not everyday occurrences.

I'm talking about the day-to-day existence of these people, who go to a flower show or to a charity event and CTV devotes airtime to it. 

Unless something terrible happens to one of them, how is that news?

November 7, 2023 11:05 pm  #12

Yes the Queen's death and Charles coronation were spectacles, but I also gave others like the fact that William dragon boating was on various news channels.  And the retread documentaries that various networks schedule throughout the year.  CBS having some of their best ratings with lightweight interviews from Harry and Megan, or Harry with Anderson Cooper on 60 Minutes.

Go through the checkout at the grocery store and look at the tabloid newspapers front pages.  Many covers usually will have a story or a picture of one of the Royal family.  And this has been going on for what 60-70 years?   

I know you were talking about the everyday fluff on the Royals.  However the interest in this group whether deserved or not is ongoing and much more than the UK or commonwealth.  Newscasts are full of fluff and stories that aren't newsworthy.  Wonder if Taylor is going to the football game this weekend, and who will she be sitting with???  If you missed the game don't worry...it will be on the news everywhere.

November 8, 2023 12:10 am  #13

Harry & Meghan are also something of a spectacle, so of course they'd get huge numbers. Especially with Oprah involved. I suspect you know that doesn't fit into what I'm talking about.

I'm referring to the everyday bland things they do when they appear in public. Going to an art show, being given flowers by a child, attending some gala. I never see these things on Global or City - I'm talking local news here - and again I ask, even if others do run this stuff - is it really "news?" 

And if the answer is no, which I maintain it is, then why waste precious airtime feeding this stuff to people who need to be better informed on other topics that are a lot more relevant? By all means cover the Royals when it's deserved. And when it's not, as it frequently isn't, keep them off the air. They are otherwise irrelevant as a news item, especially on a local cast. 

November 8, 2023 12:18 am  #14

This topic sure generated a lot of reaction!  I'm only going to add that Lloyd Robertson was also a huge fan of the Royals.

November 8, 2023 12:55 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

RA, I can confirm that you're right about CNN. I have it on a lot, and aside from major events like the Queen's passing and Charles' coronation, along with airing the occasional documentary on weekend evenings when they're not doing news coverage, they don't normally have stories involving what the royal family is doing. And I also agree that the occasional story involving what Harry and Meghan have to say (which I haven't even seen CNN do recently) is in a different category, particularly given that they're no longer working royals.

November 8, 2023 8:04 am  #16

Back in the day, World Beat News was only 30 minutes. Now, CFTO's 6pm newscast is 60 minutes. They have to fill that extra 30 minutes with something. The dragon boat race story should have been in the fluff/entertainment segment after 6:30.

November 8, 2023 8:14 am  #17

It generally shows up in what we used to call the second pack or block (depending on the newsroom you worked in) and usually airs about 20 minutes into the show. 

November 8, 2023 7:25 pm  #18

CFTO just ran a 30 sec. bit of viz on the Princess of Wales driving a military vehicle.

Why?

November 9, 2023 1:18 am  #19

Does anyone else find ABC World News Tonight really dark?
I have noticed that since ABC reclaimed the top spot, NBC Nightly News has shortened the intro and lightened up on the “breaking news.”