sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2023 12:33 am  #1

Kudos to the CBC and The Fifth Estate

They unmasked Buffy Sainte-Marie as Canada's biggest liar ever. I must admit, I never thought they would go there. 

Last edited by cash (October 28, 2023 12:38 am)

October 28, 2023 1:29 am  #2

Re: Kudos to the CBC and The Fifth Estate

When I first saw an article about it, I thought they were going to declare that she wasn't indigenous "enough", which I'm so sick of.  But this revealed that she is, beyond all doubt, a complete and utter fraud.  It's excellent reporting on one of Canada's sacred cows without sensationalizing the story.  Bravo to them.  This is exactly what a public broadcaster should do.

https://youtu.be/eMsqCWNCUc4?si=dJltLATkU3uy8Ci3

Last edited by Tomas Barlow (October 28, 2023 1:37 am)

October 28, 2023 4:39 am  #3

What is puzzling about this is her appearance. She looks indigenous and has since the 1960's.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 28, 2023 8:02 am  #4

She’s 82 and just had her world destroyed by the CBC. Sad at this stage of her life.

October 28, 2023 8:23 am  #5

If Buffy isn't indigenous, will she have to pay back all the taxes she's been exempt from for 65 years?

October 28, 2023 8:53 am  #6

Walter wrote:

If Buffy isn't indigenous, will she have to pay back all the taxes she's been exempt from for 65 years?

Indigenous people aren't exempt from income tax. They are only exempt from sales tax for products delivered to or sold on a reserve.

October 28, 2023 9:09 am  #7

Here's how the CBC's editor in chief explains why the decision was made to investigate her ancestry.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/editorsblog/editor-blog-indigenous-identity-1.7009049

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (October 28, 2023 9:12 am)

October 28, 2023 9:29 am  #8

Hansa wrote:

Walter wrote:

Indigenous people aren't exempt from income tax. They are only exempt from sales tax for products delivered to or sold on a reserve.

You may be right, but there's more to it than that.  I have an acquaintance who 'qualified' as 25% indigenous.  He had many tax breaks, and never once bought anything on a reserve as far as I know.

October 28, 2023 9:31 am  #9

At long last, the menace of Buffy has been neutralised. 

Very odd, this story. Authenticity has held much less value in 60's-era artists compared to later generations. 

October 28, 2023 11:33 am  #10

In these times we're living in today, it's great to know our National Network is tackling this issue that is so vitally important to Canadians.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

October 28, 2023 1:42 pm  #11

Make no mistake, this is a serious blow to the CBC. Buffy was a sizeable portion of their playlist.

October 28, 2023 9:17 pm  #12

With Halloween fast approaching, I saw the word Buffy and that she was trending and honestly thought they were talking about the Slayer, as in the character played by Sarah Michelle Gellar.

October 28, 2023 11:16 pm  #13

So I finally got around to watching this item this evening.  Very compelling stuff.

But one thing bugged me.  I'm no forensics expert but could this whole thing not easily be dealt with through a simple DNA test?  The topic wasn't even raised in the report.

October 29, 2023 8:50 am  #14

Peter, I had the same reaction as you. But you might be interested in my own experience with DNA testing. I have a great-grandfather who said that he was a Baron, the son of a Prince and Duke who was a Marshal of Napoleon. His obituary said that he'd originally been a Catholic priest, but then went on to become an expert lecturer on the origins and history of Freemasonry. My family originally believed all of this, but then my sister and I started doing research that raised suspicions that he wasn't who he said he was. We finally ended up doing DNA tests that confirmed some speculation about his origins that I'd found via my research, which was that he might actually have been a Jewish man who had concealed his true identity -- an identity that would have been problematic for him, because for many years he earned a living by giving lectures against Catholicism that were supposed to be based on his time as a priest (but which I found were largely based on those of a genuine ex-priest). Our DNA tests show that we are about 1/8th Jewish, and since we have no other Jewish ancestry, this must be from him. 
My sister and I were very willing to accept whatever the results of the DNA testing might be ... we were just glad to find out the truth, and we have happily embraced this new aspect to our ancestry. However, some others in our family have been very unhappy with what we've found, because they very much want to believe that we are descended from nobility. Buffy Sainte-Marie is obviously even more invested in being Indigenous, and if DNA testing were to disprove this it would be very problematic for her. So my guess is that she has no desire to do it. I'll add that I have no doubt that if my great-grandfather had still been around when I did my research, he would have been extremely unhappy with it, and that this likely would have led to the same kind of issues that have occurred between Sainte-Marie and some members of her family.

October 29, 2023 12:10 pm  #15

It will be interesting to hear (IMO) what John Moore has to say Monday morning.

He was leaning toward "why don't you leave her alone - she's 82" etc. etc. 

He had nothing good to say about the show.

Having watched the show and I'm confident Mr. Moore would have as well there is little (or certainly far less) room for criticism of the program and its content.

It's all about credibility. CBC produced facts and documents and first person accounts that were hard to argue with. You know their lawyers went over everything with a fine tooth comb and gave them the go-ahead. So they think they would win any court challenge and so do I.

I don't know how I feel about her exactly but it's not great. Because this isn't a "victimless" scenario. The one I do feel sorry for is her blood brother who was threatened with the most horrid of accusations. There's your victim if you've been looking for one.

Last edited by unclefester (October 29, 2023 12:11 pm)

October 29, 2023 12:20 pm  #16

Here's the show, in case you missed it and want to know what all the fuss is about.

October 29, 2023 6:20 pm  #17

Whatever the truth turns out to be, here's a truth she wrote in September of 1963 that couldn't be more truthful than today.

October 30, 2023 5:41 pm  #18

Indigenous Women's Collective calls for Buffy Sainte-Marie's 2018 Juno to be rescinded after CBC investigation

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/buffy-saint-marie-mislead-indigenous-people-indigenous-women-s-collective-1.7012847

Last edited by cash (October 30, 2023 5:42 pm)

October 31, 2023 10:20 am  #19

What a sad way for this woman to have to live her last years. Personally, I don't care what her ancestry is. 

October 31, 2023 11:00 am  #20

It's a side issue, but if it's proven she was born in Massachusetts, does this mean her 1972 hit "He's An Indian Cowboy In The Rodeo" would no longer be considered CanCon?   

October 31, 2023 11:28 am  #21

RadioActive wrote:

It's a side issue, but if it's proven she was born in Massachusetts, does this mean her 1972 hit "He's An Indian Cowboy In The Rodeo" would no longer be considered CanCon?   

I've wondered about that, along with a couple of songs of hers that have gotten significant airplay in versions by other artists: "Universal Soldier" and "Until It's Time For You To Go". I wonder if she ever somehow obtained citizenship based on her claims, and if so, whether there would be any possibility of it now being revoked. This also has me wondering whether there have been any other examples over the years of songs that were accepted as qualifying as CanCon, losing that status as a result of information coming out that showed that they shouldn't have. 

November 1, 2023 2:08 am  #22

mic'em wrote:

What a sad way for this woman to have to live her last years. Personally, I don't care what her ancestry is. 

I wouldn’t except it’s been her entire persona for her whole career. It would be like finding out the pope is a Protestant.

November 1, 2023 7:24 am  #23

mic'em wrote:

Except she seems like the most vile of people behind the scenes.

Threatened to label her brother as a sexual predator if he exposed her

What would you think about a person living the life of a holocaust survivor being exposed as a total liar & fraud?

She lacks character and that's me being polite     

November 1, 2023 9:35 am  #24

Again, I don't care. It's on her to face any consequences for her actions on the judgement day. To compare her to any religious figure or a person who actually suffered for it , seems a pale argument in my opinion. My point is at 82 years old, it is a sad way to end her life, despite the circumstance. If you guys think I am defending her , you are incorrectly comprehending my meaning. 

November 1, 2023 10:25 am  #25

Couldn't this all be solved very simply with a DNA test? Not that she'd ever agree to take one, but that would put this to bed for good. 

November 23, 2023 12:17 pm  #26

Buffy tries to be a CBC vampire slayer.

"Being an 'Indian' has little to do with sperm tracking and colonial record keeping: it has to do with community, culture, knowledge, teachings, who claims you, who you love, who loves you and who's your family," said Sainte-Marie, 82, in a written statement to The Canadian Press."

Buffy Sainte-Marie pushes back against CBC investigation contradicting claims to Indigenous ancestry

November 23, 2023 3:47 pm  #27

Somewhat ironic that the recent documentary on Buffy, Carry It On, just won an International Emmy award on Monday....It was the only Canadian film nominated.  From exclaim!
https://exclaim.ca/film/article/buffy_sainte-marie_documentary_carry_it_on_nominated_for_international_emmy

November 23, 2023 5:00 pm  #28

Maybe  a response to the CBC doc?

November 30, 2023 6:39 pm  #29

November 30, 2023 8:46 pm  #30

Let that be a sobering lesson to all baby boomers.