sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2023 6:11 am  #1

Monday Dawns But Still No Sign(-On) Of CFAJ 1220

I got up just before 6 AM Monday, hoping to hear a real radio rarity these days - the birth of a new station. Unfortunately, it appears to have been stillborn - at least for now. 

CFAJ was supposed to officially sign-on on September 11th, but that was postponed for reasons never explained. It was said the big debut would then take place the following Monday, the 18th at 6 o'clock with its new morning show.

But its website still says "Coming Soon," boasts no other links, and so far - outside of the occasional new liner voice telling people what they're listening to - it appears to still be on autopilot. And so the never-ending saga of this very odd broadcaster continues. 

Three years and counting. Will it ever happen? Stay tuned - or don't, it doesn't seem to matter!

Classic 1220 Website

September 18, 2023 7:34 am  #2

Re: Monday Dawns But Still No Sign(-On) Of CFAJ 1220

Well apparently one of the new hires posted on the Facebook Radio Station Lounge.  He seems all enthusiastic about his new tenure there.  If I were them, I'd be embarrassed at this point.  But ... OK

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 18, 2023 8:09 am  #3

Did he happen to give you a hint of an actual, real, Honest-to-God sign-on date? Or what the delay is? They've had three freaking years+!

September 18, 2023 8:57 am  #4

Any sense of the potential impact on them by the new oldies 88.5?

September 18, 2023 11:52 am  #5

Saul wrote:

Any sense of the potential impact on them by the new oldies 88.5?

Classic 1220 goes more classic. (doesn't that sound like a great TV ad? lol)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 18, 2023 3:21 pm  #6

This is showing all signs of a disaster!  Now you're paying staff to NOT be on the air playing music on an AM station.   Just when I thought it couldn't get more bizarre.

September 18, 2023 3:35 pm  #7

RadioQuiz wrote:

This is showing all signs of a disaster! Now you're paying staff to NOT be on the air playing music on an AM station. Just when I thought it couldn't get more bizarre.

Maybe?

September 18, 2023 4:15 pm  #8

RadioQuiz wrote:

This is showing all signs of a disaster! Now you're paying staff to NOT be on the air playing music on an AM station. Just when I thought it couldn't get more bizarre.

Hey, I'd be great at that! Wonder if there are any openings?

September 23, 2023 11:14 am  #9

September 23, 2023 5:42 pm  #10

I had cause to be in the Hamilton area earlier today and CFAJ's signal was not very good.  Lots of noise and weak.  They did have more professional idents with some excitement, but the signal strength in and around Hamilton, even in rural areas was disappointing. 

September 23, 2023 11:13 pm  #11

I saw an ad for the station on the side of a bus in St. Catharines yesterday.

Last edited by Brad (September 23, 2023 11:13 pm)

September 23, 2023 11:21 pm  #12

Their website has been updated and is now featuring their major announcers and other pages.

September 25, 2023 6:11 pm  #13

So?  Did anything happen?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 25, 2023 7:51 pm  #14

Jody Thornton wrote:

So?  Did anything happen?

Yes, they FINALLY had their launch today!  Tuned in at around 9am this morning and heard the morning show live with Stef & Danny Zzzz along with Chuck Lafleur.  Sounded great.

Last edited by PwrSurge (September 25, 2023 7:52 pm)

September 25, 2023 7:51 pm  #15

I listened briefly this morning at around 9:45 and heard the morning show team. They sounded pretty good actually. I didn't hear anyone in the afternoon drive spot but I may have not listened long enough - had trouble with the signal.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 25, 2023 8:40 pm  #16

It was a long time coming for CFAJ 1220 and I wish them well and success.  Listened for a bit tonight, wide variety of music.  Back When My Hair Was Short by Gunhill Road, an obscure band and song from 1973 that was briefly on the charts.  I don't know if Zoomer would even play that song! 

I do like some of the adult contemporary gold they are playing that doesn't get airplay any longer, like Joni Mitchell Come in From The Cold, and Dionne Warwick with Message To Michael.  

Hope they get some revenue happening and they find an audience that appreciates their sound.  

September 25, 2023 8:54 pm  #17

They made it to MyTuner. 

September 25, 2023 9:01 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

It was a long time coming for CFAJ 1220 and I wish them well and success.  Listened for a bit tonight, wide variety of music.  Back When My Hair Was Short by Gunhill Road, an obscure band and song from 1973 that was briefly on the charts.  I don't know if Zoomer would even play that song! 

I play that on my station. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

September 25, 2023 9:32 pm  #19

I had an incredibly busy day, so I didn't get to tune them in until around 3:15 PM. There was no afternoon show as far as I could tell and I'm not sure what happened but in the half hour I listened, the whole station seemed to go haywire. 

When I first heard them, they were playing a terrible discordant song I've never heard before. (Normally I know 99% of their playlist.) At some point, the song literally stopped on air, started playing again, then disappeared entirely, being replaced by Daniel Boone's early 70's hit "Beautiful Sunday," which began partway into the song. That lasted about 45 seconds, before the original song came back on. 

It finished only to be followed by Henson Cargill's obscure 1968 semi-hit "Skip A Rope." That went on for a good 20-30 secs., before it was cut off and replaced with yet another song I've never heard before. And it wasn't long before THAT one disappeared, too, to be replaced by something else. 

At that point, I had to go and turned them off. But what an absolute mess! The only Peet Dichter mention I heard was a promo for his show. But as far as I could tell, that show never appeared as the computer software appeared to be going through a meltdown. 

Three years and seven months, and they still don't have their act together. What a station!

September 25, 2023 10:25 pm  #20

We don't know the issues why they have been delayed so long actually getting to air.  I consider today and for the next week the soft opening.  I am sure in even one month from now CFAJ will sound different, assuming they are still on the air.  Tonight they sound fine, but need an announcer and some commercials! 

Hope the owners are interested in hiring some retired on air people or volunteers that would love to be on a station like this.  They need on air people to talk about the music and really push the local area. 

September 25, 2023 10:54 pm  #21

This is from a message on the CFAJ Facebook left by Canadian broadcaster Rob McConnell:

"Hey St. Catharines! The 'X' Zone Radio/TV Show with Rob McConnell returns to the St. Catharines / Niagara airwaves in Mid-October, just in time for Halloween, on Classic 1220 - CFAJ!"

The "X Zone" was a paranormal, UFO, "Coast-to-Coast" type show that I believe used to air on CKTB. So there's another potential preview of what's coming to the new 1220. Time and air date TBA.

September 26, 2023 6:24 am  #22

I'm not hearing a morning show this morning.
Instead, just an ad for the morning show and lots of music. 
Very strange. 
(Danny Z telling people in a station ID to tune in but no actual morning show.)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 26, 2023 9:09 am  #23

I finally heard what appears to be an actual live voice on CFAJ Tuesday. Chuck LaFleur did the 9 AM news - or at least tried to. He got three stories in before being cut off, and "The Best Disco In Town" by the Ritchie Family started playing instead. What in the world is going on over there?

September 26, 2023 10:32 am  #24

I've listened to the Stef and Danny Z show the past couple of mornings and find it irritating. They sound like a couple of sophomoric kids on a college radio station. 

September 26, 2023 9:34 pm  #25

I finally heard the afternoon jock, Peet Dictor (sp?), today around 5:45. Couldn't hear him very well though the static, but there was definitely a voice there.

Too bad this station isn't on FM. I like the eclectic music mix.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 26, 2023 9:41 pm  #26

I heard him, too. But for reasons that remain unexplained, he was off slightly mic through most of the show. Others on the air with him, like his newsman, were perfectly audible. But you needed a Dictor Detector to hear the main man.   

September 28, 2023 9:40 am  #27

Heard the morning show Thurs 28th.  Tuned in around 6:45 but did not hear morning show hosts till around 7:13.  No intro or extro or any mention of the music.  There was a news cast that ran just before 7.  IMHO it was an excellent local newscast with lots of local news, and local sports coverage.  Also a detailed traffic report including bridges/border crossing wait time, etc.  The news presentation was very professional.

The male/female hosts did a "bit" something called "not the news..." (or a variation on that), with a few showbiz stories, along with local weather.  Not something that I would personally tune to a station to hear, but my tastes are different from 99% of the radio listening population....so be it.    Only heard one promo spot = probably from the CAB, that told the story of the importance of local radio in a time when community newspapers are closing.  Did not hear any other PSA's or actual advertising.   Signal here is very spotty due to electrical interference, so I could only tolerate 1/2 hour of electrical buzzing.

Conclusion, a new AM station is a "hard sell" in 2023 and this one is certainly on life support.   I would not be surprised if a few months from now, the owners go back to the CRTC and ask for a licence amendment in order to program S. Asian programming during significant portions of the week citing financial hardship.  They are technically allowed about 18 hours a week - but had in one of their CRTC filings promised not to run ethnic programming.  

September 28, 2023 10:03 am  #28

tvguy wrote:

I would not be surprised if a few months from now, the owners go back to the CRTC and ask for a licence amendment in order to program S. Asian programming during significant portions of the week citing financial hardship.  They are technically allowed about 18 hours a week - but had in one of their CRTC filings promised not to run ethnic programming.  

And if that happens, the irony won't be lost on anyone. Isn't that how the previous owners of the old CHSC 1220 lost their licence for overdoing it on the ethnic programming aimed at Toronto instead of St. Catharines? Who would any future South Asian programming be aimed at - and more importantly, where? Could history repeat itself?

Here's a great bit of history from The Fort Erie Times. Note former announcer Ted Yates' eerily accurate statement:

"It had become tough to operate a standalone AM radio station."

That was January 2015. It hasn't gotten any easier.

CHSC's fortunes face final crumble

September 28, 2023 10:55 am  #29

The last days of CHSC were both sad and chaotic. 
Friends who were there told me of having to work in improvised broom closets that doubled as studios at various remote locations. Back office and day-to-day operations were typically "fly by the seat of your pants" affairs and it was often uncertain whether the station would survive on a week-to-week basis.

Take a minute to read the CRTC's 2010 decision not to renew CHSC's broadcast licence. It's pretty painful.
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-533.htm

September 28, 2023 6:27 pm  #30

Finally tuned in to hear some afternoon talk.

Station reception is fair at best, surprising as I'm on Hamilton mountain.

Was hearing WHKW Ohio faintly on occasion in the background during the talking portion of the CFÀJ programming when I tuned in.