sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2023 7:52 am  #31

Re: Tropo Today

Anyone with an Android phone...tap hold on a 'cut-off image' and then select Preview Image from the menu that pops up.

September 6, 2023 8:00 am  #32

Dial Twister wrote:

Anyone with an Android phone...tap hold on a 'cut-off image' and then select Preview Image from the menu that pops up.

and on a computer you can click open image in a new tab and that works as well but there is something off on the site, one should not and did not have to do that before. I posted the link to the pic in my original post because of the problem.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 6, 2023 9:33 am  #33

It sounds like you're having problems posting oversize pics to the Boardhost sites. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but there was a serious glitch with their coding a while ago and it still may not be fixed. 

Here's my preferred way to post pics here. It's free, it's simple, you don't have to create an account and it works. 

https://postimages.org/

It lets you upload almost anything from your PC or phone, and you can even control the size. Once the pic is uploaded, simply choose "Hotlinks for Forums" and paste it into your message. Works every time for me.  

September 6, 2023 6:14 pm  #34

RadioActive wrote:

It sounds like you're having problems posting oversize pics to the Boardhost sites. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but there was a serious glitch with their coding a while ago and it still may not be fixed. 

Here's my preferred way to post pics here. It's free, it's simple, you don't have to create an account and it works. 

https://postimages.org/

It lets you upload almost anything from your PC or phone, and you can even control the size. Once the pic is uploaded, simply choose "Hotlinks for Forums" and paste it into your message. Works every time for me.  

Thank you for the tip. I will use it here. This is the pic I took of the RDS reading for the Cleveland station that I got last Sunday. Obscured in one corner as I did not have tie to remove the phone cover:

[img][/img]

Last edited by Fitz (September 6, 2023 6:15 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 7, 2023 1:00 pm  #35

I'm on central Hamilton mountain (near limeridge mall) and I can regularly receive North York's 158 watt CHRY Vibe105 in the car (although with static, more times than not, but listenable).

Occasionally, a Christian station on the same frequency will override it (also static filled)

Check it out here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CiwRGfqAFdK/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Last edited by DOPEfm (September 10, 2023 6:34 pm)

September 10, 2023 3:30 pm  #36

Here is the rest of the audio I recorded on that DX last week. I think this tape was recorded on Sept 3-5th.

Clip one

1. WEGW Eagle 107.5 Wheeling West Virginia
2. WKZA Lakewood, NY Kissin' Oldies,  ( I was happy that they played Mr Dieingly Sad)
3. Mega Rock WMKX, Brookville, Penn
4. 93.9 Virgin Radio Windsor
5. Hot 107.5 WGPR Detroit
6. Bounce 103.7 Brockville, On
7. CFBU 103.7 Brock Radio. St Catharines, On
The last two stations are not that distant but I recorded them when the pattern had ended but both were coming in at the same time if you played with the antenna. The most common station for me at that frequency is Star 104 from Erie.

Bonus Clip Two - nothing to do with DX'ing but something that I read about on the internet about an anomaly after the fade out on a double sided hit Stones single released in the 60's. I have the original copy of the Canadian single and the anomaly is not on there, though it is on the US single. I have the songs on a few releases  and did find one that has the anomaly after the fadeout on both songs.

Anyone care to guess what the anomaly is ? 

Last edited by Fitz (September 10, 2023 3:44 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 10, 2023 7:49 pm  #37

I was monitoring the 2M ham band today. They had a huge opening. There were calls from all over North and central America.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

September 13, 2023 3:22 pm  #38

Fitz wrote:

I just got The Light FM from North Carolina at 10.6.9. Indicative of the coming demise of radio is the fact that there are now so many religious stations. I guess they grab the frequencies others can't afford.

This station apparently has a great transmitter location. This is my farthest catch on this current tropo.

Congrats on a great catch, Fitz. I would hate you but for the fact I also nailed it during a somewhat productive trip to the Scarborough Bluffs, where I also heard FM from Maryland and West Virginia. My first NC FM station via tropo from Toronto. Funnily enough, I heard it in 2003 from my DX site in the Kawarthas. It was my first ever NC FM station via Tropo there, too.

September 13, 2023 6:57 pm  #39

Saul wrote:

Fitz wrote:

I just got The Light FM from North Carolina at 10.6.9. Indicative of the coming demise of radio is the fact that there are now so many religious stations. I guess they grab the frequencies others can't afford.

This station apparently has a great transmitter location. This is my farthest catch on this current tropo.

Congrats on a great catch, Fitz. I would hate you but for the fact I also nailed it during a somewhat productive trip to the Scarborough Bluffs, where I also heard FM from Maryland and West Virginia. My first NC FM station via tropo from Toronto. Funnily enough, I heard it in 2003 from my DX site in the Kawarthas. It was my first ever NC FM station via Tropo there, too.

Nice when were you at the Scarborough bluffs. I grew up there and we had an outdoor antenna which was great for reception but I was not into Dx'ing in those days but I do remember a few times when I got distant stations on FM. One day  some Florida stations were coming in. Rochester and WCMFFM  was a semi-regular for me and also Ithaca and Syracuse.

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 17, 2023 9:44 am  #40

Fitz wrote:

Nice when were you at the Scarborough bluffs. I grew up there and we had an outdoor antenna which was great for reception but I was not into Dx'ing in those days but I do remember a few times when I got distant stations on FM. One day  some Florida stations were coming in. Rochester and WCMFFM  was a semi-regular for me and also Ithaca and Syracuse.

The Florida would have been an e-skip opening. I had that happen to me once at the Bluffs when I was there for the tropo. There are actually multiple modes of propagation affecting FM. E-skip (more or less due to ionization of atmospheric e-layer), tropo (weather induced), meteor scatter (somewhat like e-skip except that bursts last very brief, most just a few seconds, sometimes exceeding a half minute, and reflection is off ionized comet debris). There's also auroral - aim just a fraction of due north during the northern lights and if you can ID anything through the muffled sound it could be 300-800 miles away). I have also IDed four stations via lightning scatter - just last month 97.5 Virgin Radio in London appeared very strong right in the middle of a lightning crackle. There is also backscatter, which I don't really understand (but it may account for some of my shorter distance meteor scatter stations. And stations can briefly reflect off aircraft - for all I know those brief bursts that have been quite short in distance may be due to that. I'd probably need the likes of NASA to identify the precise objects that relay my DX in these circumstances. There have also been occasions during e-skip openings where I've also run into exceptional tropo ... Es to FL when KY also comes in, for instance. I knew the KY was Tr when it lingered well into the night. DXers now also have real time and forecast maps and loggers to work with, so that helps.

September 17, 2023 8:12 pm  #41

When I was out running errands in the Avenue Rd/401 area Friday afternoon, I got some interesting tropo from Rochester. WPXY was crystal clear with no interference from CHFI or CHTZ. The only other station from Rochester I could receive was WXXI. No 96.5 or 98.9 which are usually the first to arrive under tropo conditions. 97.9 is the last station I would ever expect to receive in North Toronto, but there it was.

September 17, 2023 10:02 pm  #42

mace wrote:

When I was out running errands in the Avenue Rd/401 area Friday afternoon, I got some interesting tropo from Rochester. WPXY was crystal clear with no interference from CHFI or CHTZ. The only other station from Rochester I could receive was WXXI. No 96.5 or 98.9 which are usually the first to arrive under tropo conditions. 97.9 is the last station I would ever expect to receive in North Toronto, but there it was.

98.9 was maybe the strongest Rochester station for me in Pickering but it's been wiped out since 99.1  went HD. I can often get 97.9 under even a mild tropo. WCMF at 96.5 is rare now too probably due to the HD at 96.3.

Cool Airchecks and More:

September 18, 2023 9:29 am  #43

My car radio does not have HD capability, so I don't have issues with those Rochester stations during tropo. 98.9 is always the easiest to receive for me, 97.9 the most difficult. I was just surprised that PXY was booming in while The Buzz was nowhere to be found.

September 18, 2023 10:11 am  #44

mace wrote:

My car radio does not have HD capability, so I don't have issues with those Rochester stations during tropo. 98.9 is always the easiest to receive for me, 97.9 the most difficult. I was just surprised that PXY was booming in while The Buzz was nowhere to be found.

Actually not having a HD radio does not make a difference to the adjacent channel interference caused by it once  there is such a signal the damage is done, so to speak, to the other station.

Cool Airchecks and More: