sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2023 12:53 pm  #1

How Is This Worth A News Story?

As someone who's worked in TV news for several decades, I know you can make almost anything into a "story." But given how expensive and precious airtime is in an hour show (which is more like 40 minutes without the spots) usually producers pick and choose what to cover pretty carefully.

Which brings me to CTV's Noon news on Wednesday, and a two minute plus full wrap on - wait for it - the opening of a new Ikea at the Scarborough Town Centre. That's it. That's essentially the entire yarn. Not only did they make it into a reporter's story instead of say, a clip/VO (voiceover), they actually sent reporter Mike Walker to do a wraparound live hit outside the place. 

My question is: why? If this had been the opening of some fancy new chain in Canada, I could have seen going for it. (Remember all the coverage of Target coming here?) But another Ikea? Why was this worth all the attention? True, there were a fair number of people lining up to get in before it opened, but it's not like there aren't other Ikeas around the city. (Although this one was a bit unique because it was somewhat smaller.) 

If Ikea wants exposure on CTV, perhaps they could contact the sales department and buy some ad time. Instead, they got a two-minute freebie for reasons I can't comprehend. And since they invested a reporter, a camera and a live truck into this thing, I have to expect CFTO may rerun it at 6 and 11:30, as well.

Maybe I'm missing something and it wouldn't be the first time. But I repeat: how, exactly, is this a news story?

August 23, 2023 2:13 pm  #2

Re: How Is This Worth A News Story?

Good thing you don't get local Detroit TV news RA.  They are always featuring stories of new store openings, or a Michigan manufacturing plant's expansion that hopes to add a 100 new jobs.  They often broadcast  live reports from some seemingly small downtown events that are happening "in the heart of Detroit," Often these will lead the newscast and will be updated during the cast.

Personally I don't mind stories like this and it does give a sense of community in a larger city.  I guess it could be overdone.  CP 24 tends to do more of this than the norm as well.  But they have a lot of more airtime to fill.  And you could argue the same thing with some of the Detroit stations since they are news heavy. Overall they do tend to really push the feel good local stories. 

August 23, 2023 2:36 pm  #3

I can see how the opening of a plant that brings new jobs, especially to a city that's seen better times, could conceivably be a local lead, but the opening of the 16th version of the same store that's already here just doesn't make sense to me. A V/O would have done the trick if you really wanted to mention it.

Especially when you have the relatively still breaking news of the RCMP being called into the Greenbelt Scandal at Queen's Park, less than a day after the Minister's right-hand man suddenly resigned. Instead, CFTO lead with a four-month-old rent strike and a show of community support. Again, an OK story, but the lead when the other stuff is going on? 

After all the time and attention they've spent on the Queen's Park scandal over the past week, that story played third - after a check on the weather, which despite my passion for the forecast, could certainly have waited. Again, I don't get what they're thinking. The only possible explanation is that the QP story wasn't ready in time for the top of the show, so they were forced to go with an alternate at the last minute. I've seen that happen more often than I can remember. But if not, their choices are inexplicable to me. 

August 23, 2023 2:38 pm  #4

Hmmm... yeah that is kind of odd.
Somebody's been chugging the Aquavit.

August 23, 2023 2:56 pm  #5

680 News doesn't seem to be reporting on the time of sunsets anymore.

August 23, 2023 3:12 pm  #6

For what it's worth, Channel Nine Court is just north of the Town Centre so it would have been quite convenient for them.

August 23, 2023 3:53 pm  #7

Speaking of CTV Toronto. Did you know that they upload their 6PM news on YouTube? CP24 uploads them. Here is one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXsnY0gtMu0

August 23, 2023 4:02 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

For what it's worth, Channel Nine Court is just north of the Town Centre so it would have been quite convenient for them.

It would astonish the average media consumer to know just now much news is based on convenience.

August 23, 2023 4:06 pm  #9

Chrisphen wrote:

Lorne wrote:

It would astonish the average media consumer to know just now much news is based on convenience.

Hold your cards... BINGO has been called!

August 23, 2023 6:49 pm  #10

I am also shaking my head, but it is August, and finding local stories isn't easy.  The Ikea opening would, at very least, be a "talker", with the line-up of people to get in.  And it's better than having a reporter storyless.  
Just sayin' is all.

August 23, 2023 8:03 pm  #11

Chrisphen wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Here's a new level of convenience.   Still, the idea of a sportscaster will one day mystify younger generations and surprisingly makes this cartoon already out of date in our market.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (August 23, 2023 8:03 pm)

August 24, 2023 8:40 am  #12

This is big news in Scarborough as it has created jobs and repurposed an old Sears store. Maybe not worthy of a two minutes plus news piece but we’re happy it is finally here!

August 24, 2023 11:13 am  #13

The Ikea story appeared on the 6pm newscast shortly before Pat Foran's On Your Side piece.

August 24, 2023 11:23 am  #14

I saw that, and it was more than half an hour into the show - not in the top part of it, the first bloc or pack, depending on what term you like, as they did at noon. If you're going to do a story like this, that's where it belongs.

August 24, 2023 3:42 pm  #15

Chrisphen wrote:

Lorne wrote:

Indeed. Those of you who watch CP24, CBC News Network or CTV News Channel will notice that virtually the same people are interviewed on topics like politics, pop culture, urban planning, crime etc. Is it because they offer unique and invaluable insights into these areas? Sometimes. Is it because they make themselves available at the drop of a hat to be interviewed? Mostly.