sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 20, 2023 12:28 pm  #1

Britcoms on commercial TV

TVO and PBS and to a lesser extent CBC have long carried Britcoms but you used to see them more often on commercial TV, particularly in the 1970s. Partly I think it was because there was a large cohort of Brits who settled in Ontario in the late 40s and 50s when Britain was in an economic morass due to war debts - also tens of thousands of Brits were airlifted into Ontario by Premier George Drew who recognized the need for more immigrants to work in Ontario's booming economy but had an antipathy towards non-Anglo Saxons. This post-war wave of British immigrants is why a show like CFRB's Calling All Britons was so popular.

Partly it was because British shows were cheaper than American and Global TV was going through a financial crunch and couldn't afford to either produce their own shows or buy enough American shows to fill their schedule.

Global tended to air cheekier imports like On the Buses, Man About the House, and Doctor in the House. I also recall CFMT carrying a number of Britcoms in its first years and even WUTV carried Benny Hill and Dave Allen at Large. (I seem to recall Benny Hill was on Global at one point but I might be wrong).

August 20, 2023 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Britcoms on commercial TV

My first experience with BritComs was watching On the Buses back in the 70s on CHCH Sunday nights.  Then again, maybe it was Global.  I do remember Global carrying it near the end of the series when Blakey lived with the butlers.

Global Carried Are you being served and Dick Emery Thursday nights

CBC carried Mind your language - a show that probably won't air anywhere today.  They also carried Monty Python a couple of times a week for a bit. (no pun intended)

Last edited by Peter the K (August 20, 2023 12:39 pm)

August 20, 2023 1:15 pm  #3

This is a rather remarkable reprise of Some Mothers Do Av Em that was done for charity in 2016. Even if you don't recognize the cameos it's very funny (and there is one cameo you definitely will recognize) and the stunt work is incredible when you consider Crawford, who does his own stunts, was in his early 70s at the time. If you're not familiar with his character of Frank Spencer he is a child-like accident prone innocent evocative of silent film era comedians like Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, and Buster Keaton.

Last edited by Hansa (August 20, 2023 1:19 pm)

August 20, 2023 1:33 pm  #4

Here's the ad that ran in TV Giuide on Sept. 17, 1970, introducing Canadians to a new British TV show. Notice they shortened it to just "Flying Circus." I wonder what those very first audiences made of it. 

August 20, 2023 2:59 pm  #5

CBC also aired the Two Ronnies, Absolutely Fabulous, Yes Minister, Mr Bean and they even had the anarchic Goodies on daily in the after school spot for a year or two.

The 70s Britcoms and sketch shows tended to be racier than anything coming out of the US - though tame by today's standards.

What gets me is when British shows air today, particularly those with working class and regional accents , there's a litany of complaints from viewers about not being able to understand what's being said but this didn't seem to be a problem in the 70s. Did people just have a better ear or were they more accustomed to hearing British accents in real life due to the number of expats here at the time?

Last edited by Hansa (August 20, 2023 3:00 pm)

August 20, 2023 3:39 pm  #6

Hansa wrote:

This is a rather remarkable reprise of Some Mothers Do Av Em that was done for charity in 2016. Even if you don't recognize the cameos it's very funny (and there is one cameo you definitely will recognize) and the stunt work is incredible when you consider Crawford, who does his own stunts, was in his early 70s at the time. If you're not familiar with his character of Frank Spencer he is a child-like accident prone innocent evocative of silent film era comedians like Laurel & Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, and Buster Keaton.

How could I possibly forget Some Mothers do 'Avem 'Em!  Michael Crawford was absolutely brilliant.

The 2016 Reprise was also quite wild.  

Silly piece of trivia.  The rhythm of the theme music for the show is made up of the title spelled out in Morse Code: "S-O-M-E-M-O-T-H-E-R-S-D-O-A-V-E-E-M"

I don't know about the reprise but in the original series, Michael Crawford did his own stunts too.

August 20, 2023 4:16 pm  #7

Peter the K wrote:

Hansa wrote:

How could I possibly forget Some Mothers do 'Avem 'Em!  Michael Crawford was absolutely brilliant.

The 2016 Reprise was also quite wild.  

Silly piece of trivia.  The rhythm of the theme music for the show is made up of the title spelled out in Morse Code: "S-O-M-E-M-O-T-H-E-R-S-D-O-A-V-E-E-M"

I don't know about the reprise but in the original series, Michael Crawford did his own stunts too.

Amazingly, the Michael Crawford who starred in the slapstick Some Mothers is the same Michael Crawford who was the original Phantom in Phantom of the Opera on both the West End and Broadway.

Last edited by Hansa (August 20, 2023 4:23 pm)

August 20, 2023 9:00 pm  #8

Hansa wrote:

CBC also aired the Two Ronnies

I didn't discover The Two Ronnies until Channel 17 started showing them in the mid-70s. They truly were incredible, whether doing musical sketches or straight up comedy. 

Ronnie Barker was an absolute genius when it came to word play. His performance in the sketch below is astounding. Imagine trying to get through this script when everything is completely and deliberately mispronounced. It is a lot tougher than it looks. 

By the way, this sketch called "Four Candles" has been voted their best ever. It's more word play and it's quite remarkable. 

August 20, 2023 9:27 pm  #9

Growing up in the ‘90s, I remember YTV showing reruns of different Britcoms at night in the hours before their nightly sign-off. The one I remember the most was Are You Being Served?.

I was a child at the time, so I was unable to understand the comedic stylings of the show’s legendary ensemble cast. It was only years later that I truly understood and appreciated the show for what it was.

Last edited by M. David (August 20, 2023 9:29 pm)

Former presenter, producer and commercial writer for CJRS (now CKZW) AM 1650 in Montreal.

August 20, 2023 9:35 pm  #10

In addition to a number of the series mentioned above, there are a few others that were also very popular and extremely well written and performed.

i)  Jennifer Saunders' "Absolutely Fabulous"  w/ Joanne Lumley

ii) The 4 versions of Black Adder w/ Rowan Atkinson, Hugh Laurie,

iii) "Keeping Up Appearances" w/ Patricia Routledge

iv)  "As Time Goes By"  w/ Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer

v)  "Faulty Towers"  w/ John Cleese

vi) "Are You Being Served?" w/  Mrs. Slocombes' pussy... 

August 20, 2023 9:44 pm  #11

And although I don't think it ever aired in North America, let's not forget what may have been the most influential Britcom of all time - "Till Death Us Do Part," which was the basis for "All In The Family" on this side of the pond, the show that changed TV here forever.  

August 20, 2023 10:02 pm  #12

And "Man About the House" was the basis for "Three's Company".

August 20, 2023 10:57 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

And although I don't think it ever aired in North America, let's not forget what may have been the most influential Britcom of all time - "Till Death Us Do Part," which was the basis for "All In The Family" on this side of the pond, the show that changed TV here forever.  

An interesting parallel between the two series: Edith Bunker's character died off before the second season of Archie Bunker's Place (the continuation of All in the Family) and her British counterpart, Else, had also died before the start of the second season of In Sickness and in Health (the second continuation of 'Till Death Us Do Part).

The only difference was that Edith was written out of the show because Jean Stapleton chose not to renew her contract after the final season of All in the Family (although she did agree to appear in a few episodes of the first season of Archie Bunker's Place to help kick the series off), whereas Dandy Nichols, who played Else in the British series, had actually died in real life.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

August 21, 2023 12:12 am  #14

This has gone a bit farther than Britcoms, but in a 1997 edition, TV Guide named one All In The Family script the 13th best episode of any show in history. There have been a ton of great shows on television since then, but there's little doubt this still ranks as one of their most famous. 

August 21, 2023 4:10 am  #15

RadioActive wrote:

Hansa wrote:

CBC also aired the Two Ronnies

I didn't discover The Two Ronnies until Channel 17 started showing them in the mid-70s. They truly were incredible, whether doing musical sketches or straight up comedy. 

Ronnie Barker was an absolute genius when it came to word play. His performance in the sketch below is astounding. Imagine trying to get through this script when everything is completely and deliberately mispronounced. It is a lot tougher than it looks. 

This is my favourite Two Ronnies sketch

August 21, 2023 4:41 am  #16

RadioActive wrote:

Didn't "Till Death Do Us Part" air on Ch. 47 in Toronto for a time.

August 21, 2023 2:35 pm  #17

One of the reasons for the proliferation of British content on Canadian television in the early 60s is what you might call an "anti-American" provision in the regulations.  After some research I managed to find the Canada Gazette December 1959 volume with the regs.
"5) For the purposes of this section, in computing the portion of Canadian content of any station or network, there may be included,
a) programs produced outside Canada in Commonwealth countries, to the extent of one-half of the program time of such programs, but the total program time used for this purpose shall not exceed 1/3 of the broadcast time of a station or network;"
The Commonwealth designation also explains the presence of "The Flying Doctor" from Australia.
Apart from the various Britcoms (not mentioned was Tony Hancock's series), there were the earliest versions of Dr. Who, and police shows such as The Vise.
There was a similar provision for programs made in French language countries.

If you do the math, you could achieve 16.5% Cancon by filling 33% of your program schedule with British shows, and add another 29 to 34% Canadian. The starting requirement was for 45% Cancon.

At some point, the Commonwealth provision was rescinded.

Last edited by Skywave (August 22, 2023 10:46 am)

August 21, 2023 2:41 pm  #18

I forgot Robin Hood, Ivanhoe, Dial 999, Stingray, and The Thunderbirds.

August 21, 2023 2:53 pm  #19

Here's a clip from In Sickness and in Health (I believe this is from 1986) which features a young Eamonn Walker – who, a few decades later, would go on to play Chief Wallace Boden in NBC's Chicago Fire!

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

August 21, 2023 11:07 pm  #20

Anyone remember Up Pompeii?

August 22, 2023 8:52 am  #21

Skywave wrote:

One of the reasons for the proliferation of British content on Canadian television in the early 60s is what you might call an "anti-American" provision in the regulations.  After some research I managed to find the Canada Gazette December 1959 volume with the regs.
"5) For the purposes of this section, in computing the portion of Canadian content of any station or network, there may be included,
a) programs produced outside Canada in Commonwealth countries, to the extent of one-half of the program time of such programs, but the total program time used for this purpose shall not exceed 1/2 of the broadcast time of a station or network;"
The Commonwealth designation also explains the presence of "The Flying Doctor" from Australia.
Apart from the various Britcoms (not mentioned was Tony Hancock's series), there were the earliest versions of Dr. Who, and police shows such as The Vise.
There was a similar provision for programs made in French language countries.

If you do the math, you could achieve 25% Cancon by filling 50% of your program schedule with British shows, and add another 20 to 25% Canadian. The starting requirement was for 45% Cancon.

At some point, the Commonwealth provision was rescinded.

There was a similar provision for film production at some point.

August 22, 2023 1:32 pm  #22

Bill101 wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Didn't "Till Death Do Us Part" air on Ch. 47 in Toronto for a time.

Don't remember it airing but it's possible. I do recall they aired "Porridge" with Ronnie Barker as an inmate, - or a guest of Her Majesty, as they like to say in the UK.

August 22, 2023 6:57 pm  #23

Skywave wrote:

I forgot Robin Hood, Ivanhoe, Dial 999, Stingray, and The Thunderbirds.

Here in the States, the digital subchannel MeTV airs Thunderbirds early Sunday mornings as part of its Super Sci-Fi Saturday Night lineup.(Amazon Prime has the rights to the more recent update, Thunderbirds Are Go.)

The Sci-Fi Channel in the U.S. aired Terrahawks, Stingray and Captain Scarlet.