sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 19, 2023 9:51 pm  #1

How Does This Stuff Keep Happening On Air?

I'm not one of those Grammer Nazis that you sometimes see on the net, but in the last week, I've heard two such outrageous mispronunciations, that it's simply astounding.

The first happened earlier this week on Sauga960 when the obviously young and inexperienced news reader - who, I'm not kidding, booted every single sentence in every one of his newscasts - talked about an accident at Yonge & Shutter Sts. Not Shuter. Shutter, which is how he said it. I shudder to think of it!

You might expect that from a small place like Sauga. How then to explain the almost unbelievable mistake heard Saturday night on CityNews 680. The newscaster told listeners about Hurricane Hilary heading towards California from the Baja Peninsula.

Except he didn't say "Peninsula." He said it as "Pen In Soola." At first I thought maybe it was just an accidental mispronunciation. But then he said it the same way in the same story seconds later. That's just unacceptable in a major market. 

The fact there are no longer any mentors left to correct these kind of horrible errors means they'll just keep happening. It's embarrassing and they really need to fix this. Ah, but at least they probably work cheap. 

August 19, 2023 10:48 pm  #2

Re: How Does This Stuff Keep Happening On Air?

I heard a CBC Radio 1 announcer tonight talking about Spokane, Washington, pronouncing it to rhyme with "cocaine."

(It's properly said as "spoe-CAN," of course.)

August 20, 2023 9:44 am  #3

In my humble opinion, nobody outside of this board really gives a flying fodoo , obviously management of these broadcasters don't either so it is what it is. 

August 20, 2023 9:50 am  #4

But c'mon, "pen in soo-la?" That's just something you should know from going to basic public school for 12 years. There's simply no reason to get that one wrong.

And the same guy did it again at the top of the hour while I was listening. What I can't figure out is why, as a team, the other newscaster on that night didn't tap him on the shoulder during a break and correct him. Surely they can't both be this ignorant.

August 20, 2023 10:16 am  #5

mic'em wrote:

In my humble opinion, nobody outside of this board really gives a flying fodoo , obviously management of these broadcasters don't either so it is what it is. 

I agree.  I have heard terrible mispronunciations on all of the major TV news networks.  On CNN and even CBS News they have a few reporters who are not pronouncing the letter "T"  in some words.

Better becomes  BEH-ER, or water is WAH-ER.  Even Anderson Cooper does it occasionally and I find this "baby talk" sound annoying.  Heard a younger CBC reporter on radio pronounce forgotten as FOR-GAH-EN. 

One word that has two T sounds at least kept one T.  Potato, sounded like PO-TAY-O when I recently heard a young person saying it on TV.  Hope this mangling of the letter T doesn't continue to become acceptable on air.  

August 20, 2023 10:32 am  #6

Okay, all of you who have posted comments above this one: What city do you live in?  You know, the capital of Ontario.  Do you pronounce the last syllable of it?
Yep. Thought so.  Those who live in glass houses shuh-int through stones.

August 20, 2023 10:48 am  #7

I'm generally indifferent to pronunciation mistakes. Given the state of the country's broadcast journalism during these troubled times, a few botched syllables here and there are the least of our worries. 

However, I do have one error that drives me up the wall. It involves announcers who identify our home and native land as "Can-dah". There was a well-known former athlete turned sportscaster in Ottawa who butchered our country's name on the air like this for years. I breathed a sigh of relief when she finally left the air to do whatever it is ex-sportscasters do with their time. I was tempted to send her a farewell cake with the word "Can-ah-dah" written in icing.

Last edited by BowmanvilleBob (August 20, 2023 10:59 am)

August 20, 2023 11:11 am  #8

Radio Bob wrote:

Okay, all of you who have posted comments above this one: What city do you live in?  You know, the capital of Ontario.  Do you pronounce the last syllable of it?
Yep. Thought so.  Those who live in glass houses shuh-int through stones.

However for many years, the local accepted, and most common pronunciation of Tor-on-TOE, is Tor-on-doe, with much less emphasis on the "doe."  If this is what most people say (and they do) then this would be the correct pronunciation.

I have never heard a Torontonian or anyone in Southern Ontario refer to the city as "Tarranna" as some "out of towners" seem to hear when speaking to a local. But let's face it, tourists can and will pronounce Toronto however they want.

The most common and accepted pronunciation of better, is still... better.  Not this mangled and contrived beh-er. that the cool kids, or those who are trying to be cool are now using.

August 20, 2023 11:21 am  #9

One mispronunciatin thet really grates my ears when I hear it on the radio is when instead of "jewelry" they say "jewlery."

Here in London there is a street called Westminster Drive. On the radio it is often pronounced as West Minister Drive.

"There was a robbery at a jewlery store on West Minister Drive."

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

August 20, 2023 11:27 am  #10

Jim Richards on CFRB insists on pronouncing "picture" as "pitcher." This has nothing to do with his dyslexia and it's easily correctible but he never does.

August 20, 2023 11:31 am  #11

When working up in Grey/Bruce I was told right from the get go, that the pronunciation of Southampton, Ontario was South-ampton.  No hamptons for the folks north or south of the checkerboard...

August 20, 2023 11:35 am  #12

My home town is Iroquois Falls.  Imagine how much the first word in that is mangled. And just when you think you've heard 'em all, BAM!

August 20, 2023 11:57 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Jim Richards on CFRB insists on pronouncing "picture" as "pitcher." This has nothing to do with his dyslexia and it's easily correctible but he never does.

Probably a 'bit' - much like the rest of his comedy, he finds it hysterically funny but no one else does.

August 20, 2023 12:20 pm  #14

Back in the 1920s, the BBC established a Pronunciation Unit whose responsibility was to keep tabs on correct usage.  Apparently it may still exist.  There are so many cringeworthy mistakes being perpetuated, among them the accent on the second syllable of Caribbean.  And there was George Bush and his inability to pronounce new-clee-ar (his was new-cue-lar).  Kenya is not "keen-ya".
I had a stern high school English teacher who would stamp her feet and turn beet red if you said "due to" instead of "because of".  Her rule was very simple: "due to" must follow a copula verb, i.e. "is", "was".  It is classically incorrect to say "due to technical difficulties", but common usage has displaced correctness even in Great Britain.

August 20, 2023 12:36 pm  #15

paterson1 wrote:

When working up in Grey/Bruce I was told right from the get go, that the pronunciation of Southampton, Ontario was South-ampton.  No hamptons for the folks north or south of the checkerboard...

I grew up and lived much of my life about a mile from the checkerboard. I always pronounce the H in Southampton.

Another common mispronunciation up there is, instead of Tobermory they say Tubmurry, or somtimes, just "The Tub."

Another is "Chizley" instead of Chesley.

And, of course, Wiarton is pronounced as "Wire-n."

Last edited by turkeytop (August 20, 2023 12:52 pm)

August 20, 2023 12:54 pm  #16

Skywave wrote:

Back in the 1920s, the BBC established a Pronunciation Unit whose responsibility was to keep tabs on correct usage.  Apparently it may still exist.  There are so many cringeworthy mistakes being perpetuated, among them the accent on the second syllable of Caribbean.  And there was George Bush and his inability to pronounce new-clee-ar (his was new-cue-lar).  Kenya is not "keen-ya".
I had a stern high school English teacher who would stamp her feet and turn beet red if you said "due to" instead of "because of".  Her rule was very simple: "due to" must follow a copula verb, i.e. "is", "was".  It is classically incorrect to say "due to technical difficulties", but common usage has displaced correctness even in Great Britain.

Unfortunately, many Canadian on-air staff, influenced by post WW2 BBC, are gone.  We now have staff that have been influenced by rap music and US based "apps" that do not use the Queen's English.

August 20, 2023 1:13 pm  #17

I know it's a commercial and is meant to be "edgy", however it is an example of the "dumbing down" of the English language (in my opinion).  

The Best Buy "We back" commercial

https://youtu.be/-_2vy5gWZiY

August 20, 2023 1:37 pm  #18

turkeytop wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I grew up and lived much of my life about a mile from the checkerboard. I always pronounce the H in Southampton.

Another common mispronunciation up there is, instead of Tobermory they say Tubmurry, or somtimes, just "The Tub."

Another is "Chizley" instead of Chesley.

And, of course, Wiarton is pronounced as "Wire-n."

I never heard anyone from Southampton say the name of the town with the H.  Or never heard Chesley called Chizley except for making fun of the name.  We would always need to tell new announcers that is was Chesley and not Chelsey, which seemed to be a common error. 

Wiarton pronounced Wire-n??  Only north or near the checkerboard...

August 20, 2023 2:45 pm  #19

I offer the pronunciation of the town of Erin, which, as anyone from the area will know, is pronounced Ee-rin. Not Errin!

My late grandparents, born in Dufferin County in the early 1900s, pronounced Toronto “Trawna”.

I’m pretty sure I heard Rahim Ladhani pronounce “skewed” as “skooed” on last night’s 6 pm newscast. I don’t remember what the story was, though.

August 20, 2023 4:22 pm  #20

paterson1 wrote:

I never heard anyone from Southampton say the name of the town with the H.  Or never heard Chesley called Chizley except for making fun of the name.  We would always need to tell new announcers that is was Chesley and not Chelsey, which seemed to be a common error. 

Wiarton pronounced Wire-n??  Only north or near the checkerboard...

Another one is Kincardine pronounced as "Kingcardine."

August 20, 2023 4:40 pm  #21

Strachan Ave. anyone?

August 20, 2023 4:59 pm  #22

fybush wrote:

I heard a CBC Radio 1 announcer tonight talking about Spokane, Washington, pronouncing it to rhyme with "cocaine."

(It's properly said as "spoe-CAN," of course.)

Wow, I've always heard people say Spo-CANE (including US broadcasers) and assumed that was the proper pronunciation. I think that's a very common mispronunciation. 

Even the greats can mispronounce things. I remember when the Mississauga train derailment happened in 1979, Walter Cronkite badly mangled "Mississauga" on the CBS Evening News. Less excusable is Tucker Carlson who seems to think the capital of Canada is aw-TA-wa.

Lorne Greene, who was a newscasting legend in Canada during World War II, long before becoming Pa Cartwright on Bonanza, was once asked how he managed to pronounce the names of obscure Russian and Ukrainian towns when giving news about Eastern Front battles. His answer - he made it up but said it with authority. To the untutored ear you can get away with mispronouncing something as well as you do it with confidence. 

All of which reminds me of this

August 20, 2023 8:42 pm  #23

I used to work with a guy who held himself up to be the world's expert on everything to do with cars.
He continually talked about a MAR say dees Benz
He also said "als" you got to do is...
And he was a broadcaster!

August 20, 2023 8:46 pm  #24

Oh and I should also mention the traffic reporter on CITY news who keeps talking about VEEKLES on the road.
Aaargh!

August 20, 2023 8:50 pm  #25

paterson1 wrote:

I have never heard a Torontonian or anyone in Southern Ontario refer to the city as "Tarranna" as some "out of towners" seem to hear when speaking to a local. But let's face it, tourists can and will pronounce Toronto however they want.

Doesn't help when the CNE ad that runs endlessly every year around this time rhymes "Tarranna" with "Everything you wanna."

By the way, I wonder if anyone under say, 50, is aware that commercial is based on an actual 1950s tune called "At The Hop" by Danny & The Juniors. I doubt most of them have ever had any reason to hear it and might be surprised to know it was once an actual song. 

August 20, 2023 9:38 pm  #27

That’s the one I remember, especially the bunnies 😄

August 20, 2023 9:39 pm  #28

Born and raised here in “the six” and I’ve always pronounced our city as Tor-on-toe.

If you worked for the previous owners of CKPC, they made the announcers and newscasters always say BRANT-FORD not Brant-FERD as is most often pronounced.   I think FERD is really the most common pronunciation.

Years ago, when I was music director for the old CHSC in St. Catharines, we had a kid (early 20’s) filling in during the evening show and, I kid you not, he backsold a song by west coast band CHILLY-WACK, not CHILLA-WACK as it should be, CHILLY-WACK.   I nearly hit the roof so I coached him in the correct pronunciation.

August 20, 2023 10:18 pm  #29

Just today when I was streaming coverage of Tropical Storm Hilary from CBS8 San Diego, I heard a pronunciation that even I as a non-local noticed right away.

Tijuana pronounced as T’wanna. Not Tia-wanna or Tee-wanna. It sounded more like Toronto than Tijuana.

I remember in Anchorman, which of course took place in the same market, Ron Burghandy’s new co-anchor who moved from across the country made a note of learning local pronunciations.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (August 20, 2023 10:22 pm)

August 21, 2023 9:29 am  #30

This thread triggered a memory for me of a few years back when a  traffic reporter on a Barrie station kept referring to the town of Brechin on highway 12 as Bretch inn , sounding like a rhyme to wretch. After several times hearing this , I called in and spoke with the fellow, gave him the proper pronunciation, on the next report, he stumbled over it, and ended up saying  Bretch inn again.  I switched stations.