sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2023 7:17 am  #1

CBC Employees Stunned By Pres.'s Comments About Digital Only Future

When CBC President Catharine Tait openly opined about the CBC going "digital only" within 10 years, it sent a shockwave through the rank and file of the national broadcaster. That according to internal emails released through an Access To Information request that shows many were and are afraid of losing their jobs. 

"A common question from staffers, one email said, was: "Does this mean I will be out of a job in 10 years?" 

CBC head 'blindsided' staff with comments on broadcaster's future

July 23, 2023 8:50 am  #2

Re: CBC Employees Stunned By Pres.'s Comments About Digital Only Future

If they pull this off and cease broadcasting (from a radio aspect since they shut most TV down years ago) then, by definition they will no longer be a broadcaster. Just another web presence.
Their mandate is to be available to all Canadians. Ego, no more need to be public funding.

July 23, 2023 9:59 am  #3

andysradio wrote:

If they pull this off and cease broadcasting (from a radio aspect since they shut most TV down years ago) then, by definition they will no longer be a broadcaster. Just another web presence.
Their mandate is to be available to all Canadians. Ego, no more need to be public funding.

The assumption here is that traditional radio and TV will become obsolete (10 years is an exaggeration, perhaps, but 30 years is plausible). Remember there were also predictions that traditional mail service would be obsolete by now - it's not though traditional letter writing pretty much is.

Don't get too excited about CBC disqualifying itself from public funding - it wouldn't be difficult to amend the Broadcasting Act to include digital.

As for being available to all Canadians, the government has a strategy for high speed internet to be available to 100% of all Canadians by 2030. https://ised-isde.canada.ca/site/high-speed-internet-canada/en/high-speed-internet-all-canada

Whether that is technologically feasible is one thing but whether there will be subsidies or regulations to make internet affordable or free to Canadians who have financial need is another .

July 23, 2023 10:32 am  #4

In 10 years' time, streaming will be the better way for CBC radio to be available to all. For some segments of the population, it already is.

Not sure why employees would be 'stunned' and worried about their jobs.

It makes total sense for the pres to be planning for the future in a realistic way.

I do agree that there at least needs to be a discussion about their mandate though. As an example, they're now strongly pushing "Q" as a podcast-first show that also happens to air on FM radio. Which is fine, except for the notable difference that they're running ads on the podcast. If the lines between 'radio' and 'digital' are going to blur to such a degree, their mandate needs an update.

Last edited by RadioAaron (July 23, 2023 10:33 am)

July 23, 2023 6:55 pm  #5

I am at a cottage this week and guess what?  The internet sucks major. CBC comes in though nice and clear on FM

July 23, 2023 6:56 pm  #6

andysradio wrote:

I am at a cottage this week and guess what? The internet sucks major. CBC comes in though nice and clear on FM

Neat. Nobody in their 30s even owns a radio.

July 24, 2023 12:30 am  #7

andysradio wrote:

I am at a cottage this week and guess what? The internet sucks major. CBC comes in though nice and clear on FM

How's your cell reception?  In 10 years it should be 5G and you'll be able to stream it in higher quality than FM.

July 24, 2023 1:07 am  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

andysradio wrote:

I’m 37 and own a car that has an AM/FM radio

July 24, 2023 3:03 am  #9

Tomas Barlow wrote:

andysradio wrote:

How's your cell reception?  In 10 years it should be 5G and you'll be able to stream it in higher quality than FM.

I don't know if streaming radio like this (via cell) is a viable option for most due to cost of data. 

July 24, 2023 7:00 am  #10

Tomas Barlow wrote:

No 5G here. I am lucky just to be able to post this

July 24, 2023 8:54 pm  #11

MJ Vancouver wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

andysradio wrote:

Anything other than your car? Not that a radio enthusiasts' board is a great sample...

July 24, 2023 8:58 pm  #12

RonaldS wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

andysradio wrote:

I don't know if streaming radio like this (via cell) is a viable option for most due to cost of data. 

Data cost is quickly becoming irrelevant. Home plans are unlimited, and cell plans are getting rapidly bigger. You can download a podcast in 20 seconds on Starbucks Wifi.

Even 20 years ago, when my friends and I went to a cottage, we burned a bunch of CDs for the week.

Regardless, data cost and availability vs. FM cost and coverage becomes a moot comparison when the hardware to receive FM just isn't as ubiquitous as we'd like to think.

Last edited by RadioAaron (July 24, 2023 8:59 pm)

July 24, 2023 10:56 pm  #13

RadioAaron wrote:

MJ Vancouver wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

Anything other than your car? Not that a radio enthusiasts' board is a great sample...

I have a battery operated radio I keep for a backup in case of emergency, and I also take it with me for camping.

July 25, 2023 8:27 am  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

RonaldS wrote:

Tomas Barlow wrote:

Data cost is quickly becoming irrelevant. Home plans are unlimited, and cell plans are getting rapidly bigger. You can download a podcast in 20 seconds on Starbucks Wifi.

Even 20 years ago, when my friends and I went to a cottage, we burned a bunch of CDs for the week.

Regardless, data cost and availability vs. FM cost and coverage becomes a moot comparison when the hardware to receive FM just isn't as ubiquitous as we'd like to think.

Totally agree. I can listen to music all day at work and I will use a bit more than half a GB. Watching television on my phone, that really gobbles data quickly.

July 25, 2023 5:26 pm  #15

Remember, all this streaming and listening on line falls down pretty quickly in event of an outage as has happened to many of us twice last year. The hydro goes out then everyone reverts to the towers. Once their back up power is gone, well…. But some radio transmissions will remain on air from somewhere. Yes you will need a radio and know how to use it!

Last edited by andysradio (July 25, 2023 5:33 pm)

July 25, 2023 6:13 pm  #16

andysradio wrote:

Remember, all this streaming and listening on line falls down pretty quickly in event of an outage as has happened to many of us twice last year. The hydro goes out then everyone reverts to the towers. Once their back up power is gone, well…. But some radio transmissions will remain on air from somewhere. Yes you will need a radio and know how to use it!

Need?

Serving as an emergency backup source is not going to keep all the infrastructure up and running.

July 25, 2023 6:17 pm  #17

RadioAaron wrote:

Serving as an emergency backup source is not going to keep all the infrastructure up and running.

No but it will help them make informed decisions in tImes of crisis

July 25, 2023 6:25 pm  #18

andysradio wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

This is all theoretical.

My parents near Ottawa were without power for over a week last year after storms. They got their information from neighbours and from me calling and texting their working phones.

Their use of radio during that time was to sit in the car to listen to The World at Six and As it Happens, just for something to do.

If there were a crisis in downtown Toronto right now, the percentage of people who would think to reach for a radio and then even have access to one would be very small.

Ship's sailed.

July 26, 2023 9:41 am  #19

RadioAaron wrote:

andysradio wrote:

RadioAaron wrote:

This is all theoretical.

My parents near Ottawa were without power for over a week last year after storms. They got their information from neighbours and from me calling and texting their working phones.

Their use of radio during that time was to sit in the car to listen to The World at Six and As it Happens, just for something to do.

If there were a crisis in downtown Toronto right now, the percentage of people who would think to reach for a radio and then even have access to one would be very small.

Ship's sailed.

My girlfriend just turned 65.  She listens to Jazz FM in the car, but there are no other radios in her apartment or elsewhere.  When I was still doing traffic, she would find a way to stream me online, smile a little, and then off it went.

And you'd think 60+ would be where the sweet spot is for radio listenership.  Not for too much longer.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton