sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2023 2:30 pm  #1

CBC newscasters almost giving me a stroke

I heard a national radio newscast from the CBC today.  It led with a story about "Ay man" being arrested for an attack on "thee" Toronto subway.  Anchor threw to a reporter who said "Thee man was arrested by Trawno Pleece...".
A big vein in my forehead was throbbing, and I was driving at the time.
Earlier in the week, I heard a regional newscast during which the young newscaster was pronouncing the word "policing" as "policy-ing".
Our business is doomed.

July 8, 2023 3:54 pm  #2

Re: CBC newscasters almost giving me a stroke

Yeah, heard a 680 Anchor say "sub-missions" when referring to cluster bombs.

July 8, 2023 6:15 pm  #3

Basic fox pas: Wimbledon not Wimbleton

Over the past few days I've heard radio and television on-air talent pronounce Wimbledon as Wimbulldone, Wimbulltonne, Wimbulldawn, and Wimbulldin from the Brits and some Canadians.

Last edited by betaylored (July 8, 2023 6:30 pm)

July 8, 2023 8:15 pm  #4

It's 2023 not 1969.
We are in a multicultural society now.
People from all over the world live in Toronto today.
There is no reason to do news the way it was done in 1969, just as long as what is said (any which way) is TRUE AND ACCURATE information!! 
That is all that is asked for these days. 
Gone are the days of saying Toronto properly...(etc)

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 8, 2023 8:16 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 8, 2023 10:24 pm  #5

betaylored wrote:

Basic fox pas: Wimbledon not Wimbleton

In Kitchener, there is also a Wimbleton Crescent, but no Wimbledon.  Talk about adding to the confusion around here.

Likewise, back in 2009, when I moving back to the area, I used google maps to route me around all the construction.  I almost had a heart attack when I heard it mis-pronounce Weber St.  (it's WEEber not WEBber)  Considering where google maps was developed, that was almost an unforgiveable sin. It's one of many street names the locals from the "folks not from here."  TV folks in K-W are actually coached in the proper pronunciation so they sound more like locals.  Doesn't always work, though.

Google maps has since fixed the pronunciation.

Radiowiz wrote:

It's 2023 not 1969.
We are in a multicultural society now.
People from all over the world live in Toronto today.
There is no reason to do news the way it was done in 1969, just as long as what is said (any which way) is TRUE AND ACCURATE information!! 
That is all that is asked for these days. 

Hogwash!

What ever happened to the concept of the TV personality setting the example by at least pronouncing things properly and using correct grammar?  Back in the day, my 9th grade English teacher would always say "Excetera" and it drove me nuts.  If you're teaching the language, then at least get it right.

Technically, English wasn't my first language but I learned it as a small child, like many do, mostly from watching TV.  Thank god back in 1969 TV announcers spoke using proper English.

Ken Haslam is probobly spinning in his grave.

Last edited by Peter the K (July 8, 2023 10:27 pm)

July 10, 2023 8:28 am  #6

It's 2023....you might hurt someone's feelings by correcting them. 

July 10, 2023 9:10 am  #7

This is why I have never left this board...it's old school, bullshyt circa 1978 crap that folks here complain about that gives me laughs galore...or is that gay-loor?...likely the few people that care or complain about this kinda stuff are those that post here.

July 10, 2023 9:33 am  #8

"Getting it right"....should never go out of style !

July 10, 2023 11:56 am  #9

Radiowiz wrote:

How about when native born Torontonians (like me) say "Toe-ron-oh" while outsiders are easily identified by pronouncing the "t".

I notice that all the time when American celebs are interviewed.   Most recently Tom Cruise.

My late father, who was raised in Parkdale during the depression and lived here all his life, used "Tranna." and he was a well educated man.

Saying Toronto properly isn't usually the way the natives say it.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (July 10, 2023 11:57 am)

July 10, 2023 12:43 pm  #10

If you ever want to know if a newscaster is from Toronto, check out how they say Balliol St. and Strachan Ave. if they come up in the copy. You can always tell who the newbies are! 

July 12, 2023 11:44 pm  #11

I have had tourists ask me where Yun-gee Street is.

July 13, 2023 6:39 am  #12

Always knew how to correctly pronounce Strachan thanks to Jim Curran's traffic reports on CBL/CBLA when I was a young'un.

Around here (the Ottawa Valley), the ultimate test is how to pronounce names like Almonte, Lochiel, Calabogie, and Goshen. If they're butchered on the air, then the person a) isn't from the area, and/or b) wasn't given a pronouncer in the script.

When talking Junior A hockey, I've heard newscasters refer to the CCHL's Navan Grads as the "na-VAN Grads" and not "NAV-in"... Navan is a small rural community in City of Ottawa territory.