sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2023 8:43 pm  #1

Does This Mean We'll Never See "That 70s Show" Reruns Again?

It's not the most important takeaway, of course, from the news that Danny Masterson has been found guilty of two counts of rape and escaped on a third charge. The 47-year-old actor could potentially spend at least 30 years in jail, making it almost a life sentence.

Masterson played Steven Hyde on the sitcom "That 70s Show," and was a major part of the long running Fox hit. There are more than enough episodes to syndicate it (200 when it finished), and in fact, it's still running several times a day on the subcarrier comedy channel "Laff."

The question is whether they plan to continue stripping it on a daily basis now that one of the actors has been convicted of such a heinous crime. I used to love "That 70s Show," and watched all eight seasons. It was even remade for Netflix with some of the original cast members (but not Masterson) as "That 90s Show." But it didn't last long. 

The Cosby Show, one of TV's biggest hits ever, is non-existent on the TV dial now that Cosby is also a convicted rapist. So is this the end of the "70s" for good? I can't see how anyone can show it now, knowing what Masterson did and the complaints it might engender. If you were a fan, you may not see it anymore, making it one of only a few hit shows that may never live on in syndication.

Danny Masterson found guilty of rape

May 31, 2023 9:11 pm  #2

Re: Does This Mean We'll Never See "That 70s Show" Reruns Again?

Actually, That 90's Show has been renewed for a second season at Netflix. Masterson did not make any appearance nor was his Steven Hyde character ever mentioned. I suspect the producers will continue to follow that route and basically "Chuck Cunningham" his character out of existence. Given the circumstances, I imagine most of the viewing audience would be accepting of that.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 31, 2023 9:26 pm  #3

But would you agree that the original is unlikely to be seen again? What a shame for those other innocent actors, who may have been getting residuals. I also wonder if Netflix will reconsider making any more, given the taint that now unfortunately surrounds the franchise. 

May 31, 2023 9:31 pm  #4

Hard to know what they'll do about the old show but I am glad "that 90s Show" has been renewed.
it is one of the rare times that a revival show has been a worthy reboot of a classic tv show.

May 31, 2023 9:38 pm  #5

I just finished reading about it and it looks like there will be an appeal.   I was surprised that in the closing arguments, the prosecutor claimed Masterson had drugged both victims, however there was no evidence of this and it wasn't included in the charges against him.    The article I read said this could influence the appeal.     Let's hope it isn't successful.

Last edited by SpinningWheel (May 31, 2023 9:42 pm)

May 31, 2023 9:59 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

But would you agree that the original is unlikely to be seen again? What a shame for those other innocent actors, who may have been getting residuals. I also wonder if Netflix will reconsider making any more, given the taint that now unfortunately surrounds the franchise. 

For quite a number of years, the original show was in syndicated reruns in the U.S. and it was pretty much all over the dial. Currently, I believe it's only available in The States on the Peacock streaming service. It presently doesn't appear to be available OTA or on any streaming service in Canada.

I think it's too soon to say whether it'll suffer the same fate as any of Bill Cosby's shows. That 70's Show had an ensemble cast, so the fact that Masterson wasn't the primary star of the show might work in its favor. I just got the boxed set of the original show for my birthday earlier this year, and I am enjoying it for the most part so far. But I do have to admit the knowledge of one of its stars committing such horrible acts did taint the viewing experience for me. That 90's Show wisely decided to distance themselves from Masterson's character, so it might not have the same dark cloud hovering over it as the original.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

May 31, 2023 11:24 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

The Cosby Show, one of TV's biggest hits ever, is non-existent on the TV dial now that Cosby is also a convicted rapist. 

It actually airs multiple times a day on TV One, a digital subcarrier aimed at African American audiences, and has since May of 2017.

This is another example of my pet peeve that occurs here frequently: assumption presented as fact.  

June 1, 2023 7:09 am  #8

Tomas Barlow wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The Cosby Show, one of TV's biggest hits ever, is non-existent on the TV dial now that Cosby is also a convicted rapist. 

It actually airs multiple times a day on TV One, a digital subcarrier aimed at African American audiences, and has since May of 2017.

This is another example of my pet peeve that occurs here frequently: assumption presented as fact.  

Perhaps if RA had said "almost" nonexistent, that would have covered it. Yes Cosby airs on this channel, along with A Different World, Family Matters, Sanford&Son, Good Times And What's Happening. I question whether this is an OTA digital sub channel. According to Wikipedia, as of Feb 2015, TV One is available to approximately 57 million "pay television" households.

September 7, 2023 3:26 pm  #9

Just to finish off this story once and for all, That 70s Show co-star Danny Masterson will not be seen again for a very long time. The actor was sentenced to 30 years-to-life in prison for raping two women during the height of his fame. 

“Mr. Masterson, I know that you’re sitting here steadfast in your claims of innocence, and thus no doubt feeling victimized by a justice system that has failed you,” [Judge Charlaine] Olmedo told Masterson before handing down the sentence. “But Mr. Masterson, you are not the victim here. Your actions 20 years ago took away another person’s voice, and choice. One way or another you will have to come to terms with your prior actions, and their consequences.”

Perhaps appropriately, the 47-year-old won't be eligible for parole until he's into his own real life 70s Show - at age 72. 

‘That ’70s Show’ actor Danny Masterson gets 30 years to life in prison for rapes of 2 women

September 7, 2023 6:24 pm  #10

Masterson always looked like a 40 year old pretending to be 17.  He was creepy, the show was lousy, and he got what was coming to him.

September 7, 2023 11:02 pm  #11

I’ll be interested to see what his wife, Bijou Phillips does.
With him behind bars will she leave him and Scientology behind?  Many times in her career she was the best part of whatever project she was in. She hasn’t done much lately citing health issues and wanting to raise the couple’s child.

September 8, 2023 9:23 am  #12

September 8, 2023 1:01 pm  #13

Are the Naked Gun movies  still shown?  You know, the ones with OJ Simpson in them?
Or have they managed to edit his part out?

September 8, 2023 2:30 pm  #14

In the US, Laff  has been airing four episodes of "That 70s Show" weeknights between 9pm to 11pm (EST).  Laff is available OTA on a subcarrier of WPXJ-TV...  it is on virtual channel 51.4

;

September 8, 2023 3:40 pm  #15

I think that since Masterson was not considered the show's lead by anyone (he got fourth billing) it's more likely That 70s Show won't lose any of whatever remaining marketable value it has. It's apparently available for streaming in the US on Peacock and available for sale on Amazon (at least in the US) - if they haven't pulled it yet because of Masterson it's unlikely they'll do so in the immediate future, especially if the success of That 90s Show on Netflix has resulted in more people watching the original. 

What are some shows that are basically considered unsellable or are relegated to fringe broadcasters or streamers due to scandals? Cosby? Baretta (is Baretta available anywhere?) "I Spy" appears to be unavailable due to Cosby (the 2002 Cosby-less remake with Eddie Murphy is the only thing I can find available in a quick search). Similarly, while the live action Fat Albert remake is available, if you want to watch Cosby's original cartoon you're out of luck aside from a few poor quality bootleg uploads to YouTube. 

September 10, 2023 9:36 am  #16

Hansa wrote:

I think that since Masterson was not considered the show's lead by anyone (he got fourth billing) it's more likely That 70s Show won't lose any of whatever remaining marketable value it has. It's apparently available for streaming in the US on Peacock and available for sale on Amazon (at least in the US) - if they haven't pulled it yet because of Masterson it's unlikely they'll do so in the immediate future, especially if the success of That 90s Show on Netflix has resulted in more people watching the original. 

Indeed, your logic seems flawless. 

Despite Danny Masterson Sentencing, ‘That ’70s Show’ Reruns Still Airing

September 10, 2023 10:23 am  #17

Series co-stars Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher were among a number of cast and production team members who wrote character references for Masterson seeking leniency after he was convicted.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/letters-danny-masterson-judge-1235585997/

Post sentencing, both Kunis and Kutcher now want to clarify their earlier support, and note that they are respective of victim's rights

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/ashton-kutcher-mila-kunis-danny-masterson-character-letters-rape-case-1235586495/

September 11, 2023 10:44 am  #18

Although only Prepon and Masterton were active Scientologists, the other "kids", with the notable exception of Topher Grace, hung out together and appeared jointly at at least one Scientologist function. My guess is the reason Topher Grace didn't hang out with the rest is he didn't have a tolerance for $cientologist nonsense.

September 19, 2023 11:34 pm  #19

Tomas Barlow wrote:

I’ll be interested to see what his wife, Bijou Phillips does.
With him behind bars will she leave him and Scientology behind? Many times in her career she was the best part of whatever project she was in. She hasn’t done much lately citing health issues and wanting to raise the couple’s child.

Here's your answer:

Danny Masterson’s Wife, Bijou Phillips, Files for Divorce After 30-Year Rape Sentencing

September 20, 2023 9:39 am  #20

Baretta (is Baretta available anywhere?) "I Spy" appears to be unavailable....

Baretta is - at at this link to UETV.. and, I Spy as well (here)