sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2023 7:07 pm  #1

Eastlink dumping Corus

As an Eastlink TV and internet subscriber, I got this today.  Hello,
We are reaching out to let you know that on June 27, 2023 Eastlink will no longer carry Corus TV channels, which includes HGTV, W Network and Showcase. Global Television will remain in your channel lineup. 
We want you to know that we will do everything we can to ensure your TV viewing experience continues to meet your needs and provides the value that you have come to expect from us. If your core TV package currently includes some or all of the affected channels, we are making every effort to provide comparable programming.  We also have several additional TV programming options available to you. 
For more details on changes to your TV Channel Exchange package including the full list of affected channels, replacement channels, and TV packaging options please visit eastlink.ca/channelupdate. 
Sincerely,
Your Eastlink Team
PO Box 8660, Station A,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3K 5M3

Last edited by Radio Bob (May 25, 2023 7:08 pm)

May 25, 2023 7:08 pm  #2

Re: Eastlink dumping Corus

I assume it is not dropping Global programming because it's a must carry.
But this is the first I'm hearing of this.  Anyone got any intel on it?

May 25, 2023 9:08 pm  #3

Fee for carriage?  It happens in the U.S. alot, where broadcasters ask providers for more money to carry their channel(s) and if they don't pay more, they have to drop the channels when the contract ends.  I've never heard it happening in Canada before.  Just a guess.

May 25, 2023 9:33 pm  #4

Dave The OTA guy wrote:

Fee for carriage?  It happens in the U.S. alot, where broadcasters ask providers for more money to carry their channel(s) and if they don't pay more, they have to drop the channels when the contract ends.  I've never heard it happening in Canada before.  Just a guess.

That was my first thought when I saw this... possible fee-for-carriage issues.

May 25, 2023 9:41 pm  #5

Guess they couldn't come to an agreement on all of the Corus cable and specialty channels, 33 altogether.  A little more info from Nova Scotia Buzz..https://www.nsbuzz.ca/life/eastlink-customers-losing-33-tv-channels-in-companys-lineup/#:~:text=Eastlink%20Customers%20Losing%2033%20TV%20Channels%20In%20Company's%20Lineup,-by%20Nova%20Scotia&text=%E2%80%9CWe%20are%20reaching%20out%20to,remain%20in%20your%20channel%20lineup.%E2%80%9D

May 25, 2023 10:15 pm  #6

Does Eastlink really think that dropping 33 channels isn't going to prompt subscribers to demand a reduction on their monthly bills?

May 25, 2023 10:20 pm  #7

Global on Demand also vanishing. I guess Corus expects that a lot of Eastlink customers will simply order Stacked TV?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 25, 2023 10:33 pm  #8

Radio Bob wrote:

Does Eastlink really think that dropping 33 channels isn't going to prompt subscribers to demand a reduction on their monthly bills?

It's a month away.  Plenty of time to negotiate.  AMC tried this ploy a few years back with both Rogers and Bell.  They came to an agreement at the last minute.  AMC wasn't that popular and both Bell and Rogers acted like they didn't really care if the station was lost. Both did the same thing and notified customers that AMC was being dropped on such and such a date.  This is a little different with 33 channels so it will be interesting to see what happens.  Corus has some cable stations that are very popular. 

May 26, 2023 2:21 am  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Radio Bob wrote:

It's a month away.  Plenty of time to negotiate.  AMC tried this ploy a few years back with both Rogers and Bell.  They came to an agreement at the last minute.  AMC wasn't that popular and both Bell and Rogers acted like they didn't really care if the station was lost. Both did the same thing and notified customers that AMC was being dropped on such and such a date.  This is a little different with 33 channels so it will be interesting to see what happens.  Corus has some cable stations that are very popular. 

& again, as I said, I don't think Corus really cares if Eastlink carries those 33 channels or not just as long as a fair amount of Eastlink customers order Stacked TV...maybe??

May 26, 2023 10:20 am  #10

I think Corus would care about losing coverage for their 33 specialty channels in Nova Scotia.  Why give all the business to Bell and Rogers with their channels?  Could the dropping of channels include Eastlink in the other Maritime provinces or could they be next?   Stack TV offers 13 channels and not 33.

They will work something out at the last minute, or a few days after the stations have been pulled. Somebody will blink eventually.

May 26, 2023 2:29 pm  #11

i heard about this yesterday and looked into it. at that time, it had all the makings of a hoax. if it's true, then the folks at  bell are smiling. note: eastlink cable also serves a few ontario locations.

May 26, 2023 3:08 pm  #12

the original hank wrote:

note: eastlink cable also serves a few ontario locations.

Correct - notably they serve Sudbury, Timmins, Elliot Lake, and Simcoe, and some smaller communities including Arthur, Exeter, Mount Forest, Goderich, Clinton, Wingham, Glencoe, and others. They also serve Delta, BC, which means dropping BC1 will have an impact for at least some viewers in Metro Vancouver; I believe they also serve a couple communities in Alberta.

(Fun fact - Eastlink was until recently the only Canadian cable company to serve any of the United States. Their system in Delta also served the US enclave of Point Roberts, Washington. Eastlink decided to pull out of Point Roberts in 2019.)

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (May 26, 2023 3:10 pm)

May 26, 2023 6:38 pm  #13

This will hardly move the needle folks. In fact, it could actually backfire on Corus as eastlink will charge the same rates for fewer channels. I'd estimate less than 1,000 subscribers flip in the first month of this disagreement, if it even goes that long. 

May 26, 2023 6:59 pm  #14

torontostan wrote:

This will hardly move the needle folks. In fact, it could actually backfire on Corus as eastlink will charge the same rates for fewer channels. I'd estimate less than 1,000 subscribers flip in the first month of this disagreement, if it even goes that long. 

Yep - by relying on carriage fees and turning specialty channels into hyper-rotators of a handful of shows, the "specialty" broadcasters have lost  much of their viewer leverage. CORUS's only advantage is that they monopolize kids' cable channels

May 26, 2023 10:17 pm  #15

broadcastdialogue.com/carriage-dispute-to-see-eastlink-drop-34-corus-entertainment-channels/?fbclid=IwAR3rW8SQ2X9BkQe9sPFoRlS0gBl8Xw2asMYRGdfexn_4KG1cFD05jnqUGgs

May 26, 2023 11:03 pm  #16

RadioAaron wrote:

torontostan wrote:

Yep - by relying on carriage fees and turning specialty channels into hyper-rotators of a handful of shows, the "specialty" broadcasters have lost  much of their viewer leverage. CORUS's only advantage is that they monopolize kids' cable channels

How many kids are still watching Corus' kids/animation channels? Curious how many of them moved to a streaming platform or social media (YouTube/TikTok etc) for video content?

May 27, 2023 11:02 am  #17

Of the 33 channels being dropped, the only two I occasionally watch are History and Dejavu.

May 27, 2023 3:53 pm  #18

This can hurt Corus a bit because when they sell advertising they can no longer claim to offer coast to coast coverage on all cable systems.  I'm sure they'll rework their materials and hope that no one notices the rewording that will occur.

May 27, 2023 4:39 pm  #19

ED1 wrote:

How many kids are still watching Corus' kids/animation channels? Curious how many of them moved to a streaming platform or social media (YouTube/TikTok etc) for video content?

It's about content and what kids can count on to find in ONE place. Stacked TV maintains a good listing of shows that kids today still like to watch, so Corus should still be in good shape there.  

May 29, 2023 5:13 pm  #20

I hope this is straightened out  by fall. My wife and I are looking for a home to purchase in the Sudbury - Espanola area. Collingwood just isn't the nice little town anymore it was when when we came here in 2009. 

May 29, 2023 8:36 pm  #21

mic'em wrote:

I hope this is straightened out  by fall. My wife and I are looking for a home to purchase in the Sudbury - Espanola area. Collingwood just isn't the nice little town anymore it was when when we came here in 2009. 

Bell Fibe is available in all communities around Sudbury.  Within Greater Sudbury, you also have access to Vianet Fibe.  Eastlink is not the only game in town, and I would hazard a guess that it's not the most popular.

May 30, 2023 12:04 pm  #22

Thanks frosty, I will be shopping for the best deal on TV and internet. 

May 30, 2023 4:44 pm  #23

I dumped most of my Bell TV channels to save about $100 a month.  The problem with bell and other cable cos is they generally package groups of channels in huge bundles that you don't watch or want to pay for.  The Corus channels are well represented on a (legal) Canadian streaming service, RIVERTV.  Probably a lot cheaper than buying a giant bundle from Eastlink...or Bell.

https://rivertv.ca/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brand&gclid=CjwKCAjwvdajBhBEEiwAeMh1U0HBNtQO_9oZNZPE7CXfVH2KzT2FNTi0TNhMaYILW99HIbzvpokDABoCVjoQAvD_BwE

May 30, 2023 4:54 pm  #24

I'm sure I'm alone in this, but of all the streaming services on offer in Canada, I always thought Stack TV presented the least value for the money. Outside of Global, there isn't a single channel there I would watch, even if they were all free. I have no idea why anyone would want to pay for it. (Then again, the CityTV plus package is also pretty awful. I wonder if Rogers regrets getting out of Shomi before its time.) But again, your mileage and opinion may differ. 

June 29, 2023 10:13 am  #25

So did this happen?

June 29, 2023 12:38 pm  #26

I have been seeing a banner on the bottom of my screen stating as of June 27, all Corrus channels are not available on Eastlink and to download Stack TV or subscribe to Bell Fibe. Curious part is I am on Rogers. 

June 30, 2023 6:55 am  #27

paterson1 wrote:

They will work something out at the last minute, or a few days after the stations have been pulled. Somebody will blink eventually.

I am so glad you really know your stuff.

June 30, 2023 7:05 am  #28

andysradio wrote:

So did this happen?

Yup. https://www.eastlink.ca/channelupdate